Breaking News

Our Special Secret

            A couple nights later, I was pulling into the parking garage, jamming to some of Myungsoo’s “indie/alternative acoustic favorites” from the CD mix he gave me, when I suddenly see him and a girl a couple of yards away from me. I recognized her to be Doyeon, his girlfriend. They were yelling at each other angrily, and I wondered what was wrong.

            “…Doyeon I don’t know why you’re so ing mad,” he was saying.

            “You still don’t know why?”

            “I am an idol, okay? I work with other actresses, with other girls too. Of course I would have to take pictures with them to promote my work, that’s what I do. Why don’t you trust me? Why did you have to go bashing on other people like an immature brat?”

            “Because I love you,” she said. “I love you and I want you. I want you with me and I don’t want anyone else to have you.”

          “I thought I told you repeatedly,” he said tiredly, “that you’re my one and only. Why can’t you just trust me?”

            “Then why can’t we go public?”

            “Because Woolim won’t let me!” Myungsoo said, raising his voice and throwing his hands into the air. I’d never seen him so fired up, and it kind of scared me. Calm down Myungsoo, I kept saying to myself in my mind, please calm down. I hate seeing you like this. “I told them about you. I’ve been pitching the idea all week, just like you wanted me to. But they won’t budge. And to be honest, I think that’s the best idea.”

            “So you really don’t want to go public with me.”

            “It’s not that Doyeon, I mean that—

            “No. That is exactly what you mean.”

            “I just don’t want to see you get hurt.”

            “Well I already am!” she cried. “I get hate everyday and it’s all because of you!”

            Myungsoo stayed quiet, and I saw that the tears were getting ready to break free but that he was keeping it in the best he could. He had nothing to say and I knew it. He was an idol. He had fans. He couldn’t change that. And so therefore because of him and his status, his girlfriend was getting the short end of the stick.

            Doyeon then smirked. “You know what else I find worth talking about? The way you act towards Naeun.”

            I could tell that he tensed up at the mention of me. “What are you talking about?” he asked her.

            “Don’t act like you don’t know,” Doyeon barked. “The way you look at her. The way you act around her. That’s now how ‘friends’ act.”

            Myungsoo kept quiet, once again. Doyeon continued. “She holds a special place in your heart, doesn’t she? You have some weird taste in girls Myungsoo because I have no idea why you would ever choose her over me. I mean, look at her.”

            “Don’t talk about her like that.”

            “Or else what? You’ll call your army of fans to gang up on me? Your stupid Inspirits are nothing to me,” she sneered.

            “Shut up Doyeon.”

            “Make me,” she growled. She smirked, then turned her head. When she saw me sitting there in my car, all she did was smirk again, probably telling herself how stupid she thought I was. Myungsoo however, stared at me with wide eyes. “We’re done here, I suppose. You’re going to regret leaving me, Kim Myungsoo. I am going to make your life a living hell. Just you wait and see.” And with that, she strutted past my car to her car and left.

           I looked back over at Myungsoo to see his face hung low, his shoulders droopy, as he walked to the elevator. He looked as if his heart had been ripped out and torn into a million pieces, then stepped on angrily by Kim Doyeon herself. .

            But seeing Myungsoo so down and heartbroken broke my heart into a million pieces too. I couldn’t stand seeing him so sad and depressed over a girl who wasn’t even worth it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

            When Doyeon said, “You’re going to regret leaving me”, she wasn’t kidding.

            She confessed to practically everything between her and Myungsoo on Twitter, causing quite a stir in the entire idol world. Not only did she make herself sound like the victim, but she also made Myungsoo sound like the bad guy. I hated seeing the entire situation so manipulated.

            Infinite was having it hard too, especially Myungsoo. Fans were calling him a traitor for posting such cryptic messages on Twitter and he was getting hated on everywhere he went, fans turning on him by the day.

            “At least he could’ve been more honest.”

            “Why did he date such a freak? Losing all respect for him.”

            “He could’ve done so much better.”

            “That guy is just one big mess.”

            Myungsoo hadn’t been responding to my texts or calls at all, which worried me. But eventually, I just decided to let him be. If he needed me, he’d show it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

            One night, I’d ended my schedule late. I got back to the dorm at around 2 in the morning, exhausted. Yookyung walked up to me and said, “You have a guest, Naeun.”

            “A guest?”

            Yookyung nodded. “He’s been waiting for you to come home since 8. I’ll be sleeping in the living room tonight so good luck.”

            Good luck?

            I staggered into my dorm room to find Myungsoo’s droopy, lonely figure sitting at the very edge of my bed. His face was stained with tears, his hair a complete mess. He reeked of alcohol.

            “What are you doing here?” I asked him.

            His eyes met mine, and then I saw it: the fear, the stress, the sense of loneliness and desperation; it was all in his eyes.

            He didn’t need to say a word as I went over to his side, taking him in my arms. I hugged him tight, protective. He rested his head on my shoulder, and leaned his entire body into me.

            Myungsoo ended up falling asleep on my bed, and I stayed on there with him. He held onto my hand, and just like that we fell asleep.

            But in the morning, he was gone. I woke up to find a note on my bedside table. Even from afar I could recognize Myungsoo’s handwriting:

 

 

 

I’m sorry, Naeun.

-Myungsoo

 

 

 

            “’I’m sorry’?” I asked myself. “What for?”

            And then I knew what he meant. My members came rushing into my room, holding their phones.

            “Naeun,” Chorong said in a tone that made me grow worried. “Can you explain to us what this is?”

            I took her phone from her hand shakily. Upon reading the headlines, my heart seemed to freeze right at its core.

            Doyeon’s idea of making Myungsoo’s life hell wasn’t about his fans turning back on him, no. That had come naturally. She didn’t have to lift a finger for that to happen.

            What she meant by making his life hell was by revealing the secret she’d known all along: that Myungsoo and I were related. And not only were we related, but we were once – and quite possibly still – completely in love with each other.

[RUMOR] Infinite’s L and APink’s Naeun:

Stepsiblings with a Romantic Past?