Part VII

Phone Calls

A/N: Didn’t have time to update in between laziness + MrMr comeback + work. Also, I had to edit what I initially wrote because I didn’t like it when I re-read it. Hopefully this one is better. I plan to end this in chapter 10 (or chapter 15) because I’m tired and I want to rest. Haha so enjoy!


 

Jessica couldn’t stop laughing as they entered their school and it was starting to get on her nerves.

“Will you stop laughing?!”

“I c-can’t! That was priceless, Tiff. Can’t believe you got so jealous that you walked out!”

“I was not jealous!”

“Pfft. Like you can fool me. I must admit though, it was quite a sight. You looked like you wanted to chop that Yejin girl’s head off.” She laughed louder and clapped her hands. “Priceless!”

“Shut up,” Tiffany muttered angrily.

Jessica didn’t for a few more seconds. When she finally stopped laughing, she asked, “So why were you ignoring Taeyeon? And don’t tell me you were busy because I’ve been with you this whole week and you weren’t even a tad busy.” She paused to take a breath. “And even if you were busy, it’s so unlike you to ignore her.”

Tiffany sighed. Jessica wasn’t going to let this subject go until she told her everything. Hesitantly, she gave Jessica a brief summary of their last Skype conversation and what happened just before she abruptly ended the call.

To no one’s surprise, Jessica was back to laughing her head off. “No wonder!”

She glared at her best friend, but the other girl ignored it. She pulled out her phone from her pocket to check for any messages or missed calls, but when she saw none, her anger resurfaced. She slammed her locker close, startling Jessica.

“Hey, hey, okay, I’ll stop laughing. Don’t start destroying school property now.”

“Just shut up, Jess,” Tiffany mumbled as she walked past her friend.

Jessica could only shake her head before following after Tiffany.

-

“Okay, I’ll see you next week. You may go.”

She stood up along with the other students and packed her things. It was her last class of the day and she couldn’t wait to go home, sleep and just forget everything that happened today.

“You done, Tiff?”

She nodded.

“Let’s go then.”

She followed her best friend out the classroom. As they were walking down the hall, she fished her phone out of her pocket to check. She glared at the device and huffed when she saw no messages or calls.

Why wasn’t Taeyeon trying to contact her? Was she that clueless?! Or was it because she didn’t care?

“Tiff.” Jessica’s amused voice pulled her out of her thoughts.

“W-what?”

Her best friend chuckled. ”You look really funny right now. You were just glaring then suddenly pouted.”

She looked down to hide her face.

Jessica laughed. “It’s okay. Good thing it was only me who saw it otherwi­– oh! Tiff! You okay?”

Because she was hiding her face, Tiffany didn’t see where she was walking and bumped into someone. She almost fell if not for the pair of arms that were wrapped around her.

“Taeyeon? Taeyeon!” Jessica exclaimed happily.

“O-oh.” Taeyeon glanced at Jessica briefly before returning to the person in her arms. She grinned when she saw Tiffany’s red face. She exhaled. “I finally found you.”

“W-what…” Tiffany started but didn’t know how to continue. The arms around her and the cute grin made her mind go haywire. Disappointingly for Tiffany though, the arms eventually left her as Taeyeon helped her stand up straight.

“What are you doing here?”

Oh how she loved Jessica right now for asking the right questions.

“Where’s Yejin?”

Or not. Maybe she should kill her best friend.

Taeyeon chuckled. “I’m here for Tiffany, of course. And I don’t know where Yejin is, actually. Probably at her uncle’s.”

Jessica nodded then nudged her best friend. “Yah, Tiff. Taeyeon’s here for you. I guess you don’t need me now. It’s okay. I can walk home by myself. See you!”

And before she could protest, Jessica was nowhere in sight. Since when did Jessica walk that fast?!

“Um, Tiffany?”

She turned her head to look at Taeyeon but didn’t say anything.

“Can I talk to you?”

“You’re already talking to me, aren’t you?” So maybe that sounded a little too cold, but Taeyeon’s grin didn’t falter. If anything, it grew bigger.

“That’s right. But there’s something much more important I need to talk to you about.”

“What is it?”

“How about we talk about it over ice cream?”

She hesitated but finally relented.

-

She swirled the ice cream in the cup with her plastic spoon. She was nervous, and eating ice cream was the last thing on her mind right now. She wished Taeyeon would just start talking so they could get it over with.

“So…” Taeyeon started.

She waited, but when Taeyeon didn’t seem like she was going to continue, Tiffany raised an eyebrow. “Well?”

“A-about last week. D-during the Skype thing…”

Tiffanys sighed. She had a feeling that that was going to be the topic. Honestly, she didn’t know if she was ready to talk about it. Maybe she should just stay firm with her initial reason. “Look, like I said, I was just busy, I’m sorry. I had a few things left to do that night that I forgot so I had to end the call right away.”

Taeyeon nodded but looked like she wasn’t convinced. “Then how about how you ignored me the whole week?”

“I was busy. I already told you that.”

“Are you telling me the truth?”

“Y-yes.” Taeyeon’s scrutinizing eyes were making her nervous. “W-why are you looking at m-me like that?”

Taeyeon just stared at her before sighing and leaning back on her seat. “Guess Yejin was wrong then,” she mumbled.

“What?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “Nothing.”

It was silent between them for a few minutes before Taeyeon sighed again. “Look, I’m going to be completely honest with you right now okay? So please listen.”

Tiffany frowned but nodded.

“I miss you,” Taeyeon breathed out. “I’m not exactly sure why you avoided me and ignored my calls. I have an idea, thanks to a friend, but I don’t want to assume.”

“I was just bu–”

“You weren’t,” Taeyeon firmly stated. “That I’m sure of.”

Tiffany huffed. Taeyeon was so much like Jessica. Why couldn’t they just let things go easily?!

“So why?”

Tiffany stayed quiet. She didn’t know what to say.

Taeyeon sighed when Tiffany didn’t seem like she was going to answer. “Look, about Yejin, she’s just a friend. That night I… I let her stay because we had a project due and the prize was so awesome that we had to do well.”

Tiffany looked up, surprised. “Why are you telling me this?” She had to ask. Although she was glad Taeyeon said that Yejin was just a friend, she couldn’t help but wonder why she suddenly mentioned it.

“And Yejin, she’s here now… we’re here now because we got the highest grade for the project. The prize was a free week’s stay here in Seoul. Free everything plus pocket money.” Taeyeon breathed. “We met at the café earlier because she was going to show me where the apartment was. And no, we’re not living in the same apartment,” she added quickly. “She’s staying with her uncle while I’m staying alone.”

“O-okay…”

“I just don’t want there to be any misunderstandings. For the record, I don’t like Yejin like that, nor does she like me that way either. She has a boyfriend back in Jeonju who’s crazy for her.”

“Um…” Tiffany didn’t know what to make of the information, although her heart was jumping for joy.

“Besides, I like someone else.” Taeyeon started to smile.

Only then did Tiffany notice the cute chin dimple. She had seen it a couple of times during their video calls but seeing it in person was… was…

“Cute,” she muttered.

“I’m sorry? Did you say something?”

She shook her head. “N-nothing.” How could she let it out like that? Oh how embarrassing.

“Anyway, as I was saying. I like someone else. Aren’t you going to ask me who it is?”

Should I? “…W-who?” Her heart started beating fast as she looked up to meet Taeyeon’s unwavering gaze.

Taeyeon’s smile grew bigger and brighter. “You.”