Part III

Phone Calls

And I’m back! Sorry for being gone for too long. Some things happened and it was either I didn’t have time to write or I was too lazy to write. It was either one of the two. Or both, sometimes. But anyway, I’m back with another update. I think this is shorter than the first two, but I personally think it’s interesting. We’re fast forwarding a bit to 5 months. This is just a multi-shot, so we gotta make it fast. Lol anyway, had fun writing this so I hope you have fun reading this as well. Enjoy!

PS. Thanks for the new subscribers and upvoters! Love you all!


 

“Miyoung-ah!”

She groaned in response when she heard the voice from the other line. Sure she had missed her, but she was dead tired from the trip last night and wanted nothing more than to sleep the day away – or until her mother breaks down her door.

She and her family had a short vacation out of town and only got back last night. She had to spend three days without hearing Taeyeon’s voice because she was either too busy or too tired to talk. She wanted to talk to her too, but Tiffany just wished she‘d called at a much later time. Like six in the evening, when she was sure she was awake.

“Miyoung!”

And she regretted telling Taeyeon her Korean name because now, the girl wouldn’t call her with any other name besides that. Although, she had to admit, she did like how good the name sounded from Taeyeon.

“Oh, were you still sleeping?”

She groaned again.

Taeyeon laughed. “It’s almost noon, Miyoung-ah. You should get up. Anyway, I have great news!”

Tiffany didn’t say anything. She was so close to going back to dreamland after drowning out Taeyeon’s voice.

“MIYOUNG! WAKE UP!”

She jerked at the loud voice and groaned after realizing to whom it belonged to. She sat up, finally giving up, and ruffled her hair in annoyance. “What?!” She rarely got irritated, but she was sleepy, and you don’t messy with a sleepy Tiffany.

“I have great news, Miyoung-ah!”

She rolled her eyes at the exaggeration. “So great that you had to wake me up?”

“Yes!”

“Fine. What is it?”

Taeyeon almost squealed in excitement. “Umma finally bought me a laptop!”

That’s great and all, but what does it have to do with me, Tiffany thought to herself as she fought the urge to ignore Taeyeon, throw her phone across the room and cuddle with her thick blanket again. “Great.”

“Aren’t you happy?”

You woke me up so… no. “I am, I am.”

“You do know what this means right?” Excitement never left Taeyeon’s voice.

“You’d have… um… computer for school?”

“NO! Well, yeah, there’s that BUT! You’re missing the most important part of me getting a laptop!”

“Which is?”

“SKYPE!”

-

She jumped when she felt someone tap her shoulder. She turned around to see her best friend looking at her weirdly. She had been receiving that same look a lot lately.

“Why are you so jumpy today? Anything wrong?”

“Nope. You just surprised me, that’s all.” Which was partly true. Mostly, though, she was just a nervous wreck. Tonight was going to be the first time she and Taeyeon would try out Skype-ing and she didn’t know what to expect.

She was the one who told Taeyeon about Skype months ago and how awesome it would be if the girl had an account so they could see each other, but unfortunately, Taeyeon didn’t have a computer at home that time. Now that she was hours away from finally quenching the thirst of curiosity about how the girl looked like, she was anxious.

What if Taeyeon didn’t like how she looked? What if Taeyeon stopped talking to her because of that? What would happen after?

A really strong push almost had her falling flat on her face if not for her fast reflexes. She had managed to keep herself balanced using the lamppost nearby before her lips kissed the cold, hard ground. She glared at her best friend.

“What?”

“What did you do that for?!”

Her best friend shrugged. “You were spacing out and the bus is already here.”

“You could’ve called me.”

“I did. Five times. All of which you ignored,” she said and climbed on the bus with Tiffany trailing behind.

“Seriously, what’s wrong with you?” She asked once they were settled in their seats.

“What? N-nothing!” She might’ve raised her voice a bit. It would explain the stares she got.

Her best friend rolled her eyes. “You think I’d buy that? We’ve been friends since we were six!” She sighed. “Whatever. You don’t wanna tell me? Fine. It’s not like I’m your best friend or anything.”

She felt guilty at that but she wasn’t ready to share just yet. She needed a little more time. For what? She wasn’t exactly sure. She just needed it. “It’s not like that. I…” She sighed. “I’ll tell you when I’m ready, is that okay?”

“Be thankful you’re my best friend or I would’ve already shoved you out of the bus.”

Violence. That was the sign that they were okay.

-

“Are you going out?”

She turned around from her mirror to see her mother by the door.

“Um, no.”

Her mother raised an eyebrow. “Then why do you look like you are?”

“What? I’m not. This is how I normally dress.”

“Yes, when you’re out with your friends.”

“What? That’s ridiculous, Mom.” She walked away from the mirror and sat on her bed.

“Miyoung, you’re wearing a dress… with your heels on… and make-up. That’s not something people would normally wear inside the house after getting back from school and with no plans of going out,” her mother said before walking out of her room and closing her door.

So she might’ve overdid the preparation for their first Skype meeting but she was nervous! She didn’t know what the girl would think if she was wearing a loose shirt and sweats instead. It didn’t seem… special. It was their FIRST Skype meeting. It had to be memorable.

Just as she was about to change into something simpler, her phone beeped. It was Taeyeon. It was time.

She ran around in her room, trying to set-up her computer. She grabbed the charger from the drawer and plugged it in her laptop. She passed by her mirror on the way to get her earphones and gasped when she saw how she looked like. She forgot that she still had to change.

In panic, she made a run for her closet to get a new set of clothes but didn’t see the charger cord on the floor so she tripped and fell face first on the carpeted floor.

Oh, she couldn’t imagine how happy Taeyeon would be to meet her busted lip.