Part VI

Phone Calls

A/N: WIFI! Woot! Yes, it’s back, and I can now update regularly (I hope). Halfway done with Part 7 so hopefully it’ll be up this week or the next.

Enjoy!


 

“Hey! I heard the good news! Congratulations! I’m so proud of you!”

“Thanks,” she mumbled.

Her cousin’s huge smile faded. “Hey, what’s wrong? Shouldn’t you be happy that you got the grand prize for that project?”

“I am happy.”

“Sure you are,” her cousin said sarcastically while rolling her eyes. “Come on, what’s really wrong? You know you can tell me anything.”

She sighed. “I don’t know, Soonkyu-yah. It’s just…”

“I’m going to ignore the name-calling for now, just because you look really troubled, so please do continue.”

She sighed again but didn’t continue like her cousin wanted her to. She pulled her phone out from her pocket and checked for any messages or missed calls but there was none. She shoved the device back inside her pocket and went to her bedroom, leaving her cousin in the living room, confused.

She closed the door behind her and threw her bag on the ground. She lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling. She fished out something from her pocket and stared at it. It was the prize she and Yejin got for scoring the highest in their project.

She was so excited to tell Tiffany about it since she got out of class, but her texts and calls were left unanswered, much like all of the other texts and calls she left since a week ago.

She racked her brain, thinking of what might’ve happened to Tiffany after she abruptly ended their Skype call last week. She kept her Skype open when she was at home in hopes of catching the girl online but she never was, and it disappointed Taeyeon.

There was a strange feeling in her heart after not hearing anything about and from Tiffany for a week. Why did it seem like Tiffany was avoiding her? What the hell happened?!

---

She bade her cousin goodbye and thanked her for one last time time then closed the car door. She entered the train station and looked around. When she saw no one familiar, she shrugged and figured Yejin must’ve taken the earlier trip.

She looked for her platform and quickly entered the train. She found a seat and settled there, her bag on the seat beside hers. She stared absentmindedly outside the window.

She was having mixed feelings about this trip. On one hand, she was scared because she was going to be alone for two weeks in an unfamiliar place. On the other, however, there was a growing excitement within her. This trip was an opportunity she wouldn’t pass up on. Seoul had always been a dream destination for her.

She leaned her head back and closed her eyes when the train started to slowly move out of the station.

---

She stepped out of the train station and breathed deeply then smiled. Ah, so this is what Seoul smells like. She snickered to herself.

She pulled out her phone and quickly dialed Yejin’s number. A couple of rings and the call was answered. “Yah! I’m outside the station. Where are we meeting?!”

Together with the ticket to Seoul, they were also given free accommodation at some small apartment so they could have a place to stay at while they were in the city. Where that apartment was, Taeyeon had no idea. Luckily, Yejin had been to Seoul more times than she could remember so the girl knew right away where the apartment was.

“Oh! You’re here! Meet me at the coffee shop two blocks east of the station. You can’t miss it, it’s the place that has a huuuuge coffee cup as a logo.”

“O…kay…”

“You’ll be fine! It’s hard to miss, I promise. I’ll meet you there in half an hour; I just have to run some errands for my uncle. Meanwhile, you can get yourself a snack and some coffee.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll see you then.” She ended the call after Yejin said her goodbyes. She started walking, slowly at first, because she wasn’t sure and she was pretty bad with directions. After walking some more, she finally caught a glimpse of a huge coffee cup from afar. She half-ran towards it for two reasons; one was because she was happy she didn’t get lost, and two, she was hungry.

She entered the café and was immediately greeted by its friendly employees. She walked up to the counter and ordered a cup of iced coffee and a chicken sandwich. She looked around the place for an empty seat and found one by the large window.

She took her time eating, trying to enjoy her meal. She quietly munched on her sandwich and sipped her coffee every now and then as she gazed outside the window. Seoul was already a beautiful place and she had only been there for less than an hour. Now that she was in a relaxing place, she didn’t mind waiting for Yejin for a couple more hours.

Just as she was about to take the last bite, when she heard a loud gasp. She looked up from what was left of her sandwich. She found herself staring at a face that seemed really familiar. She tilted her head, trying to remember where she saw this face.

What stared back at her was a look of shock, excitement and curiosity all mixed into one; although she wasn’t sure why. A finger pointed at her and she felt scared. Who is she?!

“You! I know you!”

She didn’t answer. She was still trying to figure out who this person was.

“But… why are you here? Shouldn’t you be in… where are you from again? Tiff told me but I kinda forgot.”

Tiff? Who the h… wait… Tiff?! Tiffany? Tiffany! She pointed a finger back. “You’re Tiffany’s friend!” She exclaimed loudly and jumped out of her seat. She beamed a big smile, proud that she was able to figure it out.

Best friend actually, but yes,” the girl nodded.

“Je… Jenny, right?”

The girl frowned. “Who the heck is Jenny? It’s Jessica.”

Taeyeon looked away in embarrassment, her cheeks tainted red. “O-oh. S-sorry.”

Jessica suddenly giggled. “Too cute. No wonder Tiff–”

“Jessi! There you are! I have been looking everywhere for you!”

Taeyeon turned around at the familiar voice and instantly felt her breath caught in . Her eyes went wide. It was Tiffany. In the flesh. Oh gawd. She was even prettier in person. Her laptop’s screen resolution didn’t do Tiffany’s beauty any justice. At all.

“Well, you found me… and her.” Jessica jerked her head in Taeyeon’s direction. She had to stifle a laugh when she noticed Tiffany’s eyes match that of Taeyeon’s. She was already enjoying and it had only been less than a minute! Oh wow, she needed to sit down to contain her excitement. She did just that and let the scene unfold before her.

“T-taeyeon?”

“I… uh… Hi.” Taeyeon awkwardly stood there and gave Tiffany a sheepish smile.

“Y-you’re here!” Tiffany exclaimed, still with her wide eyes.

“I am…"

“W-why?”

“W-well…” Taeyeon paused. Before answering that, she needed to ask Tiffany a much more important question. “Wait, I’ll answer that if you answer my question.”

“Which is?”

“Have you been avoiding me?”

“What?”

“You heard me. Have you been avoiding me? I’ve been calling and texting you everyday for the past week but you never answered.”

Tiffany swallowed. This wasn’t exactly how she pictured their first meeting to be. “I-I was busy.”

To that, Jessica snorted. Oh what a lie, Tiffany, she thought to herself. She only grinned when she met Tiffany’s piercing glare.

Tiffany cleared . “So now that I’ve answered your question, you have to answer mine.”

Taeyeon opened to say something but a loud gasp interrupted her.

“GASP! Don’t tell me you came here to look for Tiffany to find out why she was avoiding you!” Jessica gushed. “Awwwww!”

Tiffany cheeks turned red as she waited for Taeyeon to answer.

Taeyeon awkwardly scratched her nape. “Um, actually…” she started, but just as she was about to continue, someone called her.

“Taeyeon-ah!”

She turned her head and saw Yejin making her way towards her. She greeted her with a smile. “Hi, Yejin.”

Jessica noticed how Tiffany’s face darkened at the name. She leaned forward in her seat. The sudden appearance of this Yejin girl just made everything a whole lot more interesting. 

Tiffany cleared before saying, “I think we need to go, Jessi. We’re going to be late for class.” She turned around, not waiting for Jessica’s response.

“But we have another hour free!”

“I said let’s go Jung Jessica!” Tiffany said as she walked out the door.

Jessica frowned and let out a defeated sigh. And things were getting more exciting too! Darn it. She stood up and picked up her bag. “Sorry. I think it’s her time of the month. Gotta go!” She said and followed after Tiffany.

---

Taeyeon frowned when another one of her calls was left unanswered. She sighed. What did she do?

A chuckle from beside her made her turn her head. “You seriously don’t know why she’s been ignoring you?” Yejin snickered when Taeyeon shook her head. “You need to learn how to read people better, Taeyeon.”

“What do you mean?”

Yejin rolled her eyes. “She was jealous. She was jealous when I slept on your bed, and she was jealous again earlier.”

Taeyeon frowned. “Jealous of?”

“Me!”

It was Taeyeon’s turn to roll her eyes. “One, why would she be jealous? Two, why you, of all people?”

“Because I’m fabulous.” Yejin laughed when Taeyeon threatened to throw her phone. “Because you let me sleep on your bed last week.”

“I wouldn’t let a friend sleep on the floor!”

“And because when I came in earlier, you smiled like an idiot and she might’ve thought you were really happy to see me.”

“I was!” Taeyeon defended. “I wouldn’t know where to go if you didn’t show up!”

Yejin waved a hand. “I’m pretty sure Tiffany would’ve taken care of you.”

Taeyeon’s eyes narrowed. “Which reminds me of my first question, why would she be jealous?”

Yejin sighed. Taeyeon was hopeless. “Do I really need to spell it out? Isn’t it already clear enough.”

“No. Not to me.”

Yejin groaned in irritation. “She likes you, okay?! Like, really likes you! To the point that she got jealous just because we shared a bed and you smiled at me!” She pushed her chair back and stood up. “Oh my gawd. You’re making my head hurt. Let’s go and get you to that apartment before I smack your head onto the table.” She started walking towards the exit without waiting for Taeyeon’s response.

Taeyeon was frozen in her seat. It was only when Yejin tapped the glass separating them from outside did she snap out of her thoughts. “W-what? Tiffany l-likes me?”