Part V

Phone Calls
A/N: Hey guys, sorry for another long wait but I'm still having problems with my wifi here at home. Posting this using my phone so please bear with me. Enjoy!

 

“Did you know that you snore in your sleep?”

She almost spat the juice she was drinking. “What?”
 
“You. Snore.”
 
She gasped. “I DO NOT!”
 
“You do, actually. Not that you would know, of course. You’re supposed to be sleeping. It’d be creepy if you knew.” She paused. “But it’s okay. I don’t mind. It’s cute even.”
 
She ignored her and went back to her breakfast, while trying to hide the blush on her cheeks.
 
“Man, I wish my mom was here to cook me breakfast too. My cousin’s cooking is terrible.”
 
She shrugged. “You chose to leave home and stay at a dorm. It’s your fault. Too bad.”
 
“Harsh.”
 
“Whatever.” She ate the last piece of her bacon then drank her remaining juice before standing up. “I have to go to class soon. I’ll talk to you later, okay?”
 
“Sure. Text me when you’re free. I have no classes today so I’ll just be spending my free day bumming inside the house.”
 
“Okay. Bye.” She waved and watched the other girl wave back before ending the call. She closed her laptop then grabbed the bag resting beside her before strolling out of the house to catch the bus to school.
 
She and Taeyeon have become closer ever since their first Skype conversation. There were even times when one of them would fall asleep while in the middle of a story, so the other would be left alone, wondering what happened next. 
 
They talked more frequently now too, and it didn’t matter what they were doing during the Skype call, they just wanted to see each other. They would do homework while Skyping; eat while Skyping; exercise while Skyping. Almost everything was done while two of them were on Skype, which made their bond stronger. 
 
It somehow made her feelings for the other girl stronger too. Just two weeks ago, after their fifth Skype call, she finally admitted to herself that she liked the other girl. It explained why her heart would beat faster every time she saw a message or answered a call from her. It also explained why her insides would do somersaults, back flips, and more somersaults, whenever the other girl would smile or laugh. It explained a lot of things she couldn’t understand before and denying it would be pointless.
 
I like Taeyeon. She smiled to herself.
 
Amidst her musings, she didn’t notice that she had missed her stop. Only when she was about three stops away did she realize. Needless to say, she was late for class. Again.
 
“You’re late,” said her best friend in an amused voice.
 
“Don’t remind me.”
 
“What happened?”
 
“Missed the bus top,” she mumbled as she took out her book.
 
“Why? Thinking of Taeyeon again?”
 
Her head snapped to the side as she stared at her best friend with wide eyes. “W-what? H-how…?”
 
Her best friend shrugged. “Oh please, Tiff, how can I not know her?”
 
Confused, she continued to stare at the other girl.
 
Her best friend rolled her eyes and reached for her bag to take out a pink notebook. “Remember when I borrowed you note for last week’s History class? Well, I expected dates and historical events, not this.” She flipped to a page and pushed it towards Tiffany. 
 
Tiffany’s eyes widened as she stared at the notebook. It was filled with Taeyeon’s name. Not only that, but her name was there too.
 
With Taeyeon’s last name.
 
Kim Tiffany.
 
Oh how embarrassing. She raised her hand to ask permission to go to the toilet to hide her red face from her best friend but their professor didn’t let her. “You just came in not even 10 minutes ago and now you want to leave for the toilet? No, stay there.”
 
The ground could swallow her whole right now and she wouldn’t mind. It would be so much better than to be sitting beside her best friend because the smug look she had on her face was enough to give her nightmares.
 
---
 
She bent down, hands on her knees as she panted heavily. Who would’ve thought that the only person she knew to hate running was actually really fast? She looked back and was relieved to see no sign of her best friend. 
 
She rummaged her bag for her keys but stopped when she heard rustling from behind her. She looked back but saw nothing. Thinking that she was just hearing things, she proceeded to open the door. She entered her house and was about to close the door when someone pounced on her, making her fall to the ground with a loud thud.
 
“Ha! Caught you!”
 
She groaned at the weight and the sight of her best friend. “Gawd, you really had to jump on me, didn’t you?”
 
“Yes! That’s for running away! Now tell me about this Taeyeon girl! NOW!”
 
---
 
“Hi!” She waved at the girl on the screen.
 
“Hello! How was your day?”
 
“Crazy!”
 
Taeyeon chuckled. “Why is that?”
 
“Beca–”
 
“OH MY GOSH, SHE SO CUUUUUTE!” 
 
A loud shriek from behind interrupted her and startled Taeyeon. Soon enough, her best friend’s figure covered the screen of her laptop and the girl started gushing over the person she was talking to. She had forgotten about her existence inside the house when Taeyeon asked her for a Skype call.
 
“YOU LOOK LIKE YOU’RE TEN! HOW. DO. YOU. DO. THAT.”
 
“Uhh…” was all Taeyeon could say. She wasn’t sure how to react. She wasn’t sure who this person was either.
 
“AND YOUR SKIN LOOKS SO SOFT TOO! I WANT TO TOUCH IT! CAN I TOUCH IT?”
 
Tiffany was trying to push her best friend away, but she wouldn’t budge.
 
“WOAH! NO WONDER TIFFANY LIKES Y–”
 
Tiffany quickly stood up and shoved her best friend to the side, which made the girl end up groaning on the floor. 
 
“YAH! You didn’t have to push too hard!”
 
“Shut up, Jessi!”
 
Her best friend stood up and glared at her. “I only wanted to see her. You didn’t have to be too possessive. I wasn’t going to steal her from you, Miyoung.” With last one glance at the screen, her best friend left her room, limping with one hand soothing her hip.
 
Tiffany shook her head then went back to her laptop. “Sorry about that,” she said. “That was my best friend. She kind of extreme at times, so forgive her.”
 
“No, no.” Taeyeon waved her hands in front of her. “It was… amusing, actually. Was just shocked for a moment.” She chuckled.
 
Tiffany grinned. “Yeah. She can be loud at times too.”
 
“No wonder she’s your best friend.”
 
“YAH! WHAT’S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!”
 
Taeyeon threw her head back and laughed out loud. 
 
“Why are you so noisy?!” A voice from behind Taeyeon had Tiffany’s eyes squinting, trying to figure out whom it belonged to.
 
Taeyeon glanced behind her and spoke. “Sorry. I’ll try to tone it down.”
 
“Good.”
 
Taeyeon shook her head and chuckled before facing Tiffany again. She found the other girl looking at the screen with her eyebrows furrowed, as if in deep thought. 
 
“Tiffany?”
 
No response.
 
“Miyoung?”
 
The frown grew deeper, but still no answer.
 
“Yah! Fany-ah!” She hissed, trying her best not to be so loud. 
 
“Who was that?”
 
“Who?”
 
“That. The voice. Earlier.”
 
“What voi– oh! Her!” Taeyeon chuckled. “That’s Yejin, my classmate and project partner. We have this huge project that’s due next week and we decided to do it here. We ended quite late so I just told her to sleep over.”
 
“Oh, so where is she sleeping?” Tiffany asked.
 
“Here.” Taeyeon moved the laptop a bit to let the camera capture the image of her sleeping classmate.
 
“And where are you going to sleep?” Tiffany dreaded the answer.
 
“Beside her, of course. I mean, it is my bed. Where else would I sleep?” Taeyeon asked as she moved the laptop back to its original position. She cocked an eyebrow when she saw how red Tiffany’s face got. “Are you okay?”
 
And that was the answer Tiffany didn’t want to hear. “Don’t you have a guest room or something?” She tried to stay calm but she could feel anger building within her.
 
Taeyeon chuckled. “No, we don’t. This dorm only has two rooms remember? And I doubt my cousin would let my classmate sleep in her room. She doesn’t even know Yejin.”
 
She says it like she’s used to having girls sleep beside her on her bed, Tiffany thought. The nonchalance made her angrier. Gaaah! She couldn’t take it anymore. The thought of Taeyeon sleeping on the bed with another girl was… ugh. With a straight face, she said. “I remembered that I still have to wake up early tomorrow so I need to sleep now. Good night. Sweet dreams.”
 
Without waiting for a response, she ended the call and slammed her laptop shut.