05 | heart-to-heart

My Brother's Bestfriend

Chan Yeol slumped his body against his sister's room door. He could barely open his eyes looking for Ji Eun. He rubbed at his eyes a few times and tried looking for her again. 

God, why is everything blurry?

Ji Eun was staying up late to finish up her assignments she had missed, when her bedroom door creaked, to find her brother creeping in. He was leaning heavily against the door and looked restless, if his disarrayed hair and sweaty clothes didn't give it off. Ji Eun panickedly realized that her brother must have been drinking. 

"Oppa, did you drink?" She asked, rushing to the door to steady her brother who was drooping onto the floor. Up close, she could even smell the stench of alcohol on his breath. "Come on, come to your senses before dad sees you! You know he gets mad when you drink."

"Oh, it's my little sister," he sang, pulling the cross Ji Eun closer for a hug. "Ji Eun-ah, oppa misses you a lot."

Oh god, how faced drunk did he get. 

Ji Eun frowned, dragging her brother to her bed, his six-foot figure a heavy load on her when he's barely putting an effort in the short walk. "Oppa, sit here for a bit okay, I'm gonna get you some water."

Chan Yeol stopped her with a tug at her wrist. He shook his head and looked at his sister, a solemn look on his face. "Ji Eun-ah, come sit here." he patted the spot beside him, dragging her lightly to sit.

"Come, let me see your face first," he smiled, placing his hands on each side of her cheeks, then squished it together until Ji Eun looked like a bloated fish. He chuckled at how funny she looked, and Ji Eun only frowned before trying to push him away. "Are you making fun of me?"

His playful eyes changed into a tender one as he took in a good look at his sister. Ji Eun was a beaut. He knew she hasn't resolved in makeup appliances, her face still a shy from any chemical, but still beautifully flawless enough to make people turn back and look twice. Ji Eun was beautiful both inside out, and she was the perfect little sister Chan Yeol could've ever asked for. They had their ups and downs, in which Chan Yeol would have tried to pull her hair, and Ji Eun kicked him in the ribs - she may not know how to control her temper but, he still loved her (though he hated admitting it).

"Oppa, you okay?" Ji Eun tried speaking properly, her speech lisped with Chan Yeol still squishing her face. "You look... sad and you normally don't drink much. Did something happen?"

He gave a sighed and ruffled her hair. "My sister's a big girl now, huh?" He stopped smiling and took her hands. "Ji Eun-ah, I just want to tell you that I love you a lot. You know that right? And, Baek Hyun's a good guy. You're really lucky to have him. Stop treating him so coldly. He may look rude, and he might tease you a lot, but trust me; he's a really good guy. He'll take good care of you more than I will, you know?"

"He," Ji Eun paused for a moment. "I know he's a good guy, but I can't bring myself to accept him nor love him. We're not meant to be, oppa, maybe because we'd agreed to a wrong marriage."

Chan Yeol took a good look at his sister, wondering if it'll be the last time he'd ever see her properly. He hates how his little sister would have to leave him when she gets married, and what with him leaving abroad for studies after graduating. His little sister wouldn't be his anymore. 

"Ji Eun-ah, there's no such thing as a wrong marriage, but there may as well be something called fate. Marriage may seem like a game to you, it might look insignificant right now, and I don't blame you for that because you're so young, Ji Eun-ah. But marriage is love - it's a test to understand love, and it's a hard road to walk in, but over time, things would turn for the better as the both of you change. How about growing your love starting from friends?"

Ji Eun stared at him. "You're acting really weird these days, it freaks me out."

"You're too young to understand this now, but I'm sure you'll be grateful of all these someday," he smiled.

"Nights you loser," he said, leaving her kiss on her forehead and flopping onto the bed.

"Go sleep in your own room," she kicked at him.

 

"What happen to your face?" Baek Hyun asked, startled. "You look like a ghost."

Ji Eun gave him a dirty look. She might as well get used to the fact that she'd have to see Baek Hyun each waking morning, an automatic headache frowned upon her head every day. Being his fiancée was awful. And she didn't need him to quip at how awful her eye bags looked for staying up and studying - he'd only call her a nerd on top of insulting her.

What an , gentleman her .

"Wait, don't tell me it was my fault," Baek Hyun cocked his eyebrow.

"Was it not?" Ji Eun said monotonously, wanting to get into the car in hopes of feeling the cool leather before she tries napping a little.

Baek Hyun scoffed at the atrociousness of the situation. "Hey, you're the one who slept off at the infirmary, why the hell are you blaming me for it," he said, rounding the car to get in.

"I'm not in the mood Baek Hyun, treat your fiancée properly would you?" Ji Eun sighed, jumping a little to pull her shoes on.

"You're barely qualified to be my wife," he scoffed.

"So you're saying I'm just a-"

"Immature girl, bingo!" Baek Hyun nodded dramatically.

"Hey."

"Can you guys cut it out?" Chanyeol frowned, standing by the door. "Can you both not be at each other's throats for a single day?"

"It was his fault."

"It was her fault.

Chanyeol sighed at their united cries. Just when he thought things were getting better. "You guys are engaged, act like it," he rolled his eyes, pushing hard past his friend to get off the porch. But, well, he might've pushed a little too hard. Totally unintentional though, definitely. 

And in his stumble, Baek Hyun may or may not have accidentally brushed his lips against Ji Eun's.

Baek Hyun quickly steadied himself away from Ji Eun, wiping at his mouth as discreetly as possible, his emotions churning frantically. Jesus Christ, did he just have his first kiss with his first goddamn crush? He wants to cry a little.

Ji Eun was even stiffer on her feet. She's been saving her first kiss for someone special, as lame as it'd sound - she'd barely had her first kiss with her ex-boyfriend of almost a year. And now it's gone, lost to some loser who couldn't control his footing. "Yah, give me back my first kiss," she cried.

"It wasn't even my fault, blame your Chan Yeol-oppa if you want," he stuttered, cheeks a scarlet red.

"Oops, accidents happened you know," Chanyeol shrugged, walking quickly on his feet to get away. 

"Hyung!"

"Oppa!"

Ji Eun's going to have to splatter pink paint in her brother's room.