08 | leaving

My Brother's Bestfriend

Oppa, don't you dare do something stupid. 

Ji Eun sprinted as fast as her legs would take her, skidding through the hallway corners. Her hair was practically a bird's nest, but it was barely a bother for her by then. 

I beg you.

By the time she reached the cafeteria, it was clearly empty. Only the cafeteria's ladies and cleaners were there, cleaning the place up. 

Weird. Where were they? Ji Eun panted, wiping her sweat away with the back of her sleeves.

"Ahjumma," she called at one of the ladies who was clearing up the leftovers. "Where are all the students? It's so empty, but the time isn't up yet."

The lady gave a tired sigh. "Oh, there was a fight just now," Yes, I clearly know that. Ji Eun rolled her eyes impatiently. "Principle Kim coincidentally came into the cafeteria at the time. Dragged the two boys fighting to the detention room. Poor kids."

"The detention room?" her eyes rounded. Oppa, you're so gonna get killed by mom and dad. "Only the two were brought over though. Where are the others?"

"Hah, those busybodies," the lady tsked, chuckling a little. "It's a hit news, 'course everyone went outside to see what's happening with the boys. Why do you ask-?"

Not waiting for her to finish the sentence, Ji Eun dashed out of the cafeteria, heading towards the detention room. She halted in her steps when she caught sight of the detention room, barely leaving space for a thread around the crowd. Some had their phones sticking out to take pictures; some were busy texting or posting the latest news.

"God oppa, what've you done?" she ruffled her hair in frustration. She heaved a sigh when Suho came up front. "Suho-oppa, what happened?" She asked in a frantic.

Suho placed both his hands on Ji Eun's shoulder and looked at her in the eye, trying to calm her down. To his surprise, Ji Eun pushed his hands away and stood firmly. 

She wanted answers.

"Ji Eun-ah," Suho tried to smile. "Your brother had a fight with Min Hyuk and uh-"

"Principle Kim came in and caught them both," Ji Eun interrupted. "Why, oppa?" 

"Because he helped me, that's why." Baek Hyun spoke up. He'd been bewildered that Chan Yeol had just gone up and hit Min Hyuk dead in the middle of the cafeteria, for everyone to see.

Ji Eun crossed her arms at him. "Why is it always you, huh, Baek Hyun?" she gave a rude scoffed. "You're always getting someone into trouble. You've always thought you owned the world. You've always misused people's kindness, haven't you?"

Kai stuck his hands out to calm Ji Eun. "Ji Eun-ah, it wasn't like that. It was Min Hyuk who-"

"What wasn't like that, huh?" Ji Eun eyed Kai. "Now you're helping him again. Everyone's always helping him! And don't you even try blaming Min Hyuk-oppa. I know he dumped me but he's not a bad person," she raised her voice.

"Ji Eun-" Kai tried arguing, before Baek Hyun stopped him.

Baek Hyun put on a little smile and looked at her. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I always let other people got into trouble. I thought I've owned the whole wide world. I always misused people's kindness. And now, your brother is in there all because of me, happy?"

"Happy?" Ji Eun rolled her eyes. "You have the heart to ask me if I am happy? Of course, I'm not. Not at all," she stared at him, eyes fierce. "Why, am I going to the police station if I say I'm not happy at all? Huh?"

"No, no one's taking you to the police station," Baek Hyun kept his smile on. "It's a mistake. This whole fiancé thing it's a mistake. That's what you want to say to me right? It's a mistake that it'll get your brother and your precious ex into trouble, right?"

"What?" Ji Eun asked in confusion, eyebrows scrunching, still holding a firm look. "What're you talking about?"

"I was right. It’s better if I leave your life. If I leave you, then you can go back to your perfect and happy life, right?"

"What-"

"I understand. Byun Baek Hyun, the rudest jerk you know," Baek Hyun smiled. "Doesn't exist anymore."

After saying that, he left the school grounds.

Ji Eun watched him turned his back on her, leaving her. "Oppa, what's he saying?"

"I think he means he won't bother you anymore. It sounded like he's going to cancel the engagement," Luhan explained, before his eyes widened and his expression took over one of bewilderment. Well wasn't there so much bewilderment going on today. "Wait, leave? Is he going to disappear? Byun Baekhyun!" Luhan ran off to catch the other.

"Disappear?”