10 | love

My Brother's Bestfriend

"Byun Baek Hyun!" a voice that sounded like a scream, but more of a shriek that would even put all of the ghosts to shame, awakened the drunk Byun.

Baek Hyun looked sleepily at the person, eyes blurry from sleep and drunken haziness. His drunken haze transpired to a gaze of fear in ten seconds flat though, when he caught the focus of the figure who stood in front of him. He tried shaking his head, wondering if he was hallucinating, but nada. His so-called fiancée, Park Ji Eun was still there, staring at him with a bored mask.

"W-Why are you here? How did you find me?" Baek Hyun tried to gulp down a sip of soju, but stopped when Chan Yeol snatched the glass away, groaning in response.

"I called her, sorry," Lu Han put on an expressionless face, patting the seat next to him for Chan Yeol to sit.

Baek Hyun spun his head at Lu Han almost immediately, cracking his neck. "You- what? You called her? You freaking called her?" Lu Han could sense a glare stirring up within Baek Hyun but being the coward he was, he looked down at his glass.

"Yah," Baek Hyun felt a slap on the back of his head, wincing in pain. He rubbed the back of his head, turning to glare at Ji Eun. He softened his glare when he caught sight of tears forming in her eyes. "Why do you do this to me? Is hating me not enough?"

"Yah, why are you crying?" He asked softly, looking around as he saw the customers starting to pay attention to both of them. They all gave him judgmental stares, as if he was a player who went around breaking girls' heart on a daily basis. "Yah," he said almost in a whisper, hands wrapping around her wrist softly. "People are looking, stop crying, yeah? Come on," he stood up, trying to hug her to let people know it was all a misunderstanding, but Ji Eun forcefully pushed him aside.

Well damn.

Ji Eun huffed and stomped her way out of the stall, leaving Baek Hyun to stare after her parting figure in desperation. "I think you should go after her," Chan Yeol said, clinking his glass with Lu Han, clearly showing that the two weren't going to meddle in the couple's business.

"Ahjumma, another soju please," Chan Yeol hollered.

"You're such an . You're no different from me," Lu Han smirked at the older hyung, then pushed Baek Hyun's back with all his strength. "Go, now."

 

"Ji Eun, wait. Ji Eun, come on." Baek Hyun panted trying to catch up only to fail because for one, he was kind of drunk to walk properly, and two, whenever he fastened his pace, she would do the same. "Park Ji Eun."

Ji Eun stopped her steps, hearing Baek Hyun shouted her full name. She used her right hand to hide her face from embarrassment as the people on the streets started throwing looks at their direction. I don't know him, I don't know him. He's a lunatic; a crazy person. She repeated under her breath.

"Yah, Park Ji Eun. That's kinda rude, ignoring me." Baek Hyun ran and hugged her from the back. "I have something to ask you." Ji Eun stood stunned and speechless by his sudden action, struggling hard to get him away only to have the other tighten his hug. "Park Ji Eun, did you come looking for me after Lu Han's call?"

"Yes, I did. Why, can I not?" Ji Eun shouted, continuing to struggle herself free from his embrace. "Let go of me, jerk."

"Why?" Baek Hyun asked, refusing to loosen his hold. He knew this was the only way that would stop her from running away and answer his question. "Isn't this what you wanted? You hate me, you wanted to get rid of me. You didn't want to get engaged to a jerk like me. So why did you come and look for me?"

Ji Eun gave up struggling, knowing how useless it was. She might as well just save her energy. "Because," she frowned at herself, tears falling down her chin in steady drips. "Because, how do I know why? I don't even know why okay? Just let go of me!" She could feel people looking at the both of them, but she couldn't care any much lesser. She was so tired. Exhausted.

"Ji Eun, I-" he tried holding back his tears, failing. "I'm sorry," he whispered. He finally released his embrace to turn her around and look at her face. As if he'd lost all control of his body and emotions, he stepped forward and placed his lips on hers.

Before Ji Eun even had the chance of processing the apology coming from the almighty Byun, she felt his lips came crashing onto hers. Her eyes rounded as she felt him kissing her, her defense mechanism alarming her a few seconds too late before she backed away and landed a slap on his. 

"You don't just simply kiss people, Byun Baek Hyun." Ji Eun whispered angrily, tears a steady stream down her red face. "I'm not taking that apology, don't expect me to forgive you. We're engaged, but not because of love, but because of our parents' agreement. My heart will always be with Min Hyuk and no one else," she hissed a weak whisper, walking angrily to leave a dumbfounded Baek Hyun alone in the busy streets.

 

"Did you guys talk it out?" Chan Yeol questioned as he walked into his sister's room. "I just got a call from him and he said he's managed to reach home."

"No, we didn't, and I don't care." Ji Eun replied, not bothering a glance at her brother. She lowered her lithe body into bed and raised her blanket to cover her head. She was too bothered and emotionally drained to bother holding a conversation with anyone. All she wanted now was to sleep, for as long as time would allow her. She doesn't know what just happened and she refused to talk to anyone about it.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk to me. I'll just, go out." Chan Yeol answered sadly, disappointed his sister wouldn't turn to him to discuss her problems as how she would always. 

Ji Eun threw her blanket aside and looked at her brother who was on his way out. "Oppa," she sounded, making Chan Yeol stop in his steps, doorknob still held loosely around his fingers.  "Is it right to fall in love with a person after someone just broke up? Doesn't it make them a player?"

"Of course it doesn't, baby." Chan Yeol smiled fondly at his sister. "When you truly love somebody, you go for it, because why miss the chance? Why miss the opportunity? Sure, if those people who broke up had gone and dated another person right next day, that's playing. But love isn't how long you've known each other; it's how deep your love for each other is. We accept the love we think we deserve," he said softly.

"We accept the love we think we deserve?"

"Yeah."

"Goodnight, oppa," she bid softly before tucking herself into bed, body melting into the warmth.

Chan Yeol looked a look at her and turned off her room lights. "Good night, little princess. You'll find your true love someday and I'm sure, he isn't far from where you are," he smiled softly in the dark, exiting.