09 | like, dislike

My Brother's Bestfriend

"Oppa," Ji Eun rushed to her brother's side. "What happened?" She looked at him with concern in her eyes, quickly scanning him for any bruises. "Why- why did you hit Min Hyuk?"

"Ji Eun-ah, can you just-" Chan Yeol frowned at her, eyes shut and facing the ground, tired. "Be quiet for a while?" He had been thinking what he'd have to do since Principle Kim had asked both of them to bring their parents to school tomorrow. "I need to think."

"But-"

Xiumin patted her shoulder lightly, signaling her to not bother her brother for a bit. Ji Eun nodded her head and sighed softly. The others just gave her a small smile to make it up.

For the whole of the remaining afternoon classes, both Luhan and Baek Hyun didn't turn up for any of them. Chan Yeol did question once, only to get varies of shrugs and being brushed off, saying that they probably left to an arcade or something. Chan Yeol gave a little nod and tried focusing his attention back onto calculus, failing in the process, mind wandering.

 

"We're home," Ji Eun and Chan Yeol greeted, taking off their shoes for a switch into their comfy house slippers. Mrs. Park stood in front of the door and gave both her babies a worried smile.

Did she find out about detention? Chan Yeol tried turning his gaze away from his mother.

I know that smile. Something's up. Ji Eun gave a tight smile back.

"Oh," Ji Eun walked in the living room, eyebrows raising when catching sight of her father. "Dad, you're home early. No work today?"

Chan Yeol raised an eyebrow. "Is something going on, why are you home?"

"Ji Eun-ah, sit down." Mr. Park ushered Ji Eun to the nearest chair. "Yeol, you too."

They looked at each other before sitting down quietly, Ji Eun shifting a little closer to her brother because of the atmosphere. "What's going on?" Chan Yeol asked worriedly, eyes flitting over his both parents. Mrs. Park dawned over a tense look, slightly nodding at her husband to go on.

"The one who should be giving an explanation isn't me, but your sister." Mr. Park then eyed his daughter with a stern look.

"Me?" Ji Eun stuttered. "Dad, I don't understand. What're you talking about?"

Her dad didn't take his eyes off her and continued. "You, young lady, give me explanation now." He paused for a moment, taking in a deep breath to calm his anger. "Why did Baek Hyun ask me to cancel the engagement?"

Chan Yeol widened his eyes, heart beating rapidly in his chest. "Cancel the engagement?" He'd only been in the detention room for barely an hour, and all of a sudden, it feels like he'd been starved in a desert for months, not knowing a war was raging on back in his country. "Ji Eun, what is it? Seriously, you better give me an explanation."

Ji Eun looked utterly lost. She didn't think Baek Hyun would actually cancel the engagement. Isn't this what I always wanted? She said to herself, but somewhere in her heart, it felt weird, the feeling quickly growing into a discomfort. "I-"

"Go, and explain this to your future in-laws because Baek Hyun called them to cancel the engagement," Mr. Park controlled his curses, giving his wife a nod to assure her he's okay. "He hasn't gone home yet, for now."

"He hasn't gone home yet?" Ji Eun looked baffled. She looked at the grandfather-clock placed near the book rack. "It's 7 p.m.!"

"You tell me," Mr. Park replied angrily. "I'm not taking care of this, I've had enough. You-" He pointed his forefinger at his daughter who was still in a confused state. "You settle your own problem with your in-laws-to-be."

With that, Mr. Park huffed leaving to his room. His wife followed after him, trying to calm her husband down, only to be shrugged off angrily. 

Ji Eun scrambled for her phone and rang Baek Hyun, her calls reaching voicemail incessantly. She sighed in frustration, heart rapidly beating in discomfort. How could he do this to me? "Ji Eun, we need to talk," Chan Yeol said sternly when she angrily tossed her phone onto the couch, cursing at the wall.

"It wasn't my fault!" Ji Eun screamed, before Chan Yeol could get a word out of his mouth. She was sure if Baek Hyun turned up on her porch right this moment, she would grab her mom's favourite Chef's knife and stab him in the kidney.  "I- I don't know what happened."

"Do you really not know, or are you pretending?" Chan Yeol looked at his sister, frowning. "Honestly."

She tried recalling, but only remembers that she barely comprehended the words Baek Hyun hurled at her before disappearing off. "There is something though." She gnawed at her lip. "He said something about leaving but Luhan-oppa said he's disappearing, so I'm not so sure anymore."

"What?" Her brother instantly stood up. "God, Ji Eun, what did you say to him?"

Ji Eun shook her head, constantly convincing herself she did no wrong. "I mean, I might've gone off telling him you got in detention because of him and that he was using other people's kindness or whatever," she ranted.

Chan Yeol groaned in frustration. "Park Ji Eun, are you kidding me? How could you say that to him? It wasn't his fault okay? I just couldn't stand your stupid ex-boyfriend breaking your heart that's why I punched him, not because of Baek Hyun. And even though it is for him, I would've also done it, because he's my damn best friend," he shouted.

"Oppa, why are you being like this?" Ji Eun was taken aback by her brother's outburst. Her brother never shouts at her. Never.

"I don't care what tactics you're using but you have to call your future in-laws, right now," Chan Yeol calmed himself down. He could see his sister holding back her tears after his sudden outburst. "Tell them, - tell them it was a joke."

"I'll get scolded, how can I?" Ji Eun frowned, pinching her fingers together.

"It's the punishment you have to bear."

 

"Yah, yah." Luhan snatched the glass away from Baek Hyun. "Would you stop drinking? You've already had two bottles of soju and a beer. Let's go home."

"Home?" Baek Hyun smiled sleepily. He huffed and snatched back the cup, attempting to pour another cup before pouting at the empty bottle. "I don't have a home. Ahjumma, another soju please!" He shouted giddily.

The street stall aunty came in, throwing the boys a worried look. "Aigoo, young boy, you should stop drinking already. Two bottles are too much for a high school student."

"Ahjumma, it's okay," Luhan gave her a little smile. "Just give him one more bottle. He's had a rough day."

The aunty shook her head and sighed. "Okay, young man."

Baek Hyun lied his head on the table and breathed hard. He looked like he was going to say something but failed to. "Yah, you like her don't you?" Luhan asked him carefully, afraid his friend would suddenly burst out in anger in front of the customers. I have a reputation to save man.

"I, - I don't know," Baek Hyun glanced at Luhan for a brief moment before turning back to stare his cup. "No, I don't think I like her."

"That means you aren't sure, right?" Luhan looked at him closely. "That means there are still possibilities that you like her, right?"

Baek Hyun immediately sat straight up, stumbling in his drunken stupor. "No, I'm done." He raised both his hands up in surrender. "Just like what she's always wanted, I canceled the engagement."

Putting his glass of soju down, Luhan smirked. "Yeah, I get it that you canceled the engagement, but don't you see? You just said 'just like what she always wanted'. You're basically putting her in front of you right now, dude. You're prioritizing her choices. She wanted that and you gave it to her." He continued softly. "Doesn't that mean you like her?"

"You're an , you know?" Baek Hyun said after thanking the ahjumma for the soju, not fully proud of how sharp Luhan can be.

"Oh, I know that alright," Luhan poured him a glass. "I've always been one."