Sixteen

That Woman I Love

 

SIXTEEN

 

 

His morning call came right after her alarm went off. Seohyun rolled off her bed and sat by the window, “Good morning…”

 

“Hey, lovely, how was your morning?”

 

“It has just started, actually. I just got out of bed.”

 

“Hmmm… it’s a good start, I suppose?”

 

“To be honest? Not that good…”

 

“Why? What happened?”

 

“It’s Taeyeon Unnie.” She decided to tell him, “We had this thing yesterday and I think she didn’t sleep here last night. I don’t know if I should talk to her or not.”

 

“Was it because of me?”

 

Seohyun found herself biting her nails so she wiped her finger. The question was hard to answer so she remained quiet.

 

“Hey, how about we drive somewhere. I have free time starting late this afternoon.”

 

“Hmmm… okay…”

 

“Believe that everything will be alright, okay?”

 

“I hope…”

 

“Heyyy… come on, smile now, angel… you look far better with a smile than a frown.”

 

She raised a brow while she suspiciously looked out of the window but the street in front of her bedroom looked almost empty. And, it did make her smile, “Thank you…”

 

“No problem… I’ll see you later, okay?”

 

“Yes, see you…”

 

“Hmmm, try to avoid your sister first; maybe she won’t be ready to deal with you. You will only hurt her and yourself.”

 

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Somehow, his words gave her comfort and she did feel really better. “I can’t wait to see you, Oppa.”

 

“Me too, Hyunnie… you hang up now…”

 

“Hmmm…” she mumbled as she dropped the call. “Omo!” It only came to her that they were going to have a dress fitting that night for Yoona’s new movie premier. Seohyun didn’t really have a choice so she dialed Sica’s number. After a few drop calls, her unnie finally answered.

 

“This had better be important or there'll be hell to pay.”

 

Seohyun cringed at her Sica Unnie who obviously just woke up, “Unnie! I’m so sorry to wake you up but I can’t think of anybody else to call after last night.”

 

“Yeah, yeah… speak up…”

 

“Can you cover for me tonight?”

 

“I’ll cover for you, meaning you’ll meet your Romeo? Are you playing Juliet again?”

 

“Something like that… and uhm Unnie’s not home so she’s probably still mad at me…”

 

“Yeah, she’s here with Tiffany… and mad… that would be an understatement because she’s homicidal, but that’s a joke of course…”

 

That made Seohyun giggle, “So can you?”

 

“Actually, I have an idea. The others would surely call to check on you after last night’s pandemonium. Just tell them you’re not feeling well and I’ll just accompany you to the fitting whenever you can…”

 

“Thank you, Unnie! You’re such an angel! One day, I will repay you…”

 

“Just be happy, love, that’s enough payment…”

 

“Awww… I love you, too…”

 

“Urgh, the drama! Okay… enough now before the floodgates open…”

 

Seohyun spent the rest of the day as normal as she could. Her Sica Unnie was right too, some of her unnies did call to ask how she was and she told them as planned. School was uneventful like the rest of the day and it ended just in time she got his message that he would be waiting in his car outside the university.

 

A rush of relief came to her when she finally climbed inside his car and a warm smile welcomed her.

 

“So, where to?” Yonghwa asked while Seohyun buckled herself up.

 

“Surprise me…” she smiled.

 

“Surprise it is!”

 

~~~

 

“Seohyun took a rain check…” Hyoyeon called out from behind the lines of displays of dresses.

 

“What? The premier is next week! She can’t miss this!” Yoona appeared in a JiaKim vintage dress.

 

“Yo, calm your t—“ Hyo sighed then rolled her eyes, “She took a rain check for this fitting not for breathing.”

 

“Relax, love… I’ll make sure she comes here this week.” Jessica scanned her with her critical eyes, then twirled her forefinger motioning for Yoona to turn around, “I like this one better than the Ferragamo… it’s more subtle.”

 

“You think so?” Yoona pouted as she checked herself on the mirror. Her Unnie was right, though. “How about Taeyeon and Fany Unnie? Where are they?”

 

“Yoona-ya… you’re being paranoid…” Yuri called out from one of the fitting rooms. “Tiffany won’t miss this dress rehearsal for the world.”

 

“They’re on their way so just relax…” Sooyoung smiled as she raised two more dresses on both hands and gave them to Sica, “I already asked Miss Lee to accommodate them after the shop closes if they come in late.”

 

“Geez, this one won’t fit in my bustline.”

 

“Oh…kay… Sunny-ah… thanks for pointing that out.”

 

“Ha… ha… yeah, wear that, seriously you’d look like you shrank ten inches down…”

 

“Ten inches? That, like, totals to negative one or something.”

 

“Puhahaha!”

 

“Shut up, you fools,” Sunny groaned but grinned wickedly, “Come closer, Sooyoung. Turn around.”

 

Sooyoung spun gracefully while Sunny looked like seriously checking her outfit out, “What?”

 

“Hmm… this isn’t right. The front almost looks the same as the back.”

 

“YAAHH, YOU LITTLE DIMWIT!”

 

“Sooyoung-ah, leave that shortie alone and pick on your own size…”

 

“Wow, thanks, Sica…”

 

~~~

 

After almost forty-five minutes of being on the road, Yongwa parked on an inconspicuous corner of a small fishing village by the outskirts of town. Before they descended, he put on a face mask,  thick rimmed eyeglasses and a ball cap. Seohyun watched him with interest and somehow it made her feel a little sad. Going out for him was becoming impossible.

 

“Are you used to this?” she asked the moment she felt her heels digging deep in the sand, “Going out incognito?”

 

“Not… this is something I will never get used to. You know the feeling of trying to fit in but not necessarily standing out but you end up attracting more attention than you ought to?”

 

“Clearly, I don’t know the feeling…” The day was dawning and the sea breeze felt colder than ever. They traced the beach with careful steps as the sound of the rushing waves welcomed them.

 

Yonghwa smiled. “That’s a hard part. Being Jung Yonghwa the person not the celebrity.”

 

“Hmmm… Yoona Unnie is like that, so she said she loves hanging out with us most because she felt more normal than being outside and people recognizing her as the one they see on TV.”

 

“The harsh reality…”

 

“And here I wonder why so many people want to be in the limelight…”

 

“They will never know how bad it is sometimes because the only thing they see is the glitz and the glamour. But Yoona is lucky… a big part of her is still normal and that part is you and your other friends. You’re the ones that set her life in a good balance… in a good motion.”

 

“You, do you have someone like that?”

 

“My family… but being away from them doesn’t really give that comfort. My closest friends are my bandmates and so they suffer the same fate as I do. But here you are, a piece of my private life… a piece I want to keep…”

 

Seohyun smiled when he offered a hand and she took it without hesitation that they walked with hands entwined. There were only a few people on the beach, mostly middle aged men perched on some distant rocks hoping to catch fish in the angry waters. An old couple was at a distant looking as if they were having a picnic.

 

“Yoona Unnie, finally told us about Jonghyun Oppa…”

 

“She did? How did your unnies take the news?”

 

“They took it well, I guess… their only concern was that Unnie didn’t tell them earlier but they understood.”

 

“I have seen those two; they’re really into each other. How about your other friends? Are they in a relationship?”

 

“Hmmm…  Yoona, Hyoyeon, Sunny and Sica Unnie are. Fany Unnie is seeing her boyfriend of eight years on and off because he’s not really from here. Taeyeon broke up with her boyfriend two years ago and after that she never really dated seriously. Sooyoung and Yuri Unnie are dating too but not that serious, I think…”

 

“Is Sica with that Korean-American? Yuri and Yoona’s cousin?”

 

“Ahhh, the businessman? Yeah, she is… it was arranged, I think you know that,” she said and Yonghwa nodded. A lovely sight caught her attention when they neared the old couple. “Look at them, they look so sweet having a picnic like that.”

 

Yonghwa followed her gaze and smiled, “Yeah, isn’t it amazing seeing old couples like that? It’s like they have the rest of the world as the years passed by. They’re lucky to find each other.”

 

“Hmmm…” Seohyun nodded and peered at him when she felt the pressure on her hand—the one he was holding.

 

“Annyeong haseyo…” he bowed when the couple looked up to them.

 

“Annyeong… come and join us…” The old woman said with a gentle smile and her husband scooted closer to her and motioned for the younger couple to sit on their picnic mat.

 

“Aniyo, we are on our way,” Yonghwa said, his smile hidden in his face mask, “We can’t help but admire seeing you two very much in love.”

 

The old man laughed and raised a plate of kimbap.

 

“My husband here had an operation a year ago, he can’t speak anymore.”

 

“Oh…” Seohyun looked at Yonghwa and took one kimbap and popped it in . “Hmmm… this is delicious!”

 

“Give your boyfriend one.”

 

They found each other lock gazes and Seohyun could feel the heat rushing up her cheeks that the cold couldn’t probably hide so she shook her head, “Sorry he is sick… cold and sore throat… so he can’t take his mask off.”

 

“Ahhh… really, take care young man.”

 

“I will, thank you, ma’am,” Yonghwa bowed politely, “We won’t keep you anymore…”

 

“Okay, thank you for dropping by…”

 

They started walking back as the only light that guide their way back was that of the street lamp. The whole time Yonghwa felt glad that Seohyun didn’t detach her hand from his grip. Her hand was soft and smooth and it felt wonderful. He should put something about her hand on one of his new songs. The thought made him smile at himself so he regrouped, “Was the kimbap really tasty?”

 

“Yes, it was!”

 

“And she thought I’m your boyfriend.”

 

Seohyun felt him tug on her hand but she just smiled secretly knowing how the conversation would go, “Oh, I should have asked halmeoni to give us some.”

 

“They thought I am your boyfriend and you didn’t correct them.”

 

“We could have eaten them in the car.”

 

“But it feels nice, that would mean we really look good together.”

 

“Should we go back and ask?” Seohyun finally turned to him with her hair flying behind her.

 

“Ask what? If we look good together?”

 

Seohyun raised a brow playfully, “If they can give us some kimbap?”

 

“Ya!" he grumbled then shook his head in defeat, "Jashik…”

 

~~~

 

After the fitting, Yoona treated the girls dinner in one of the private rooms of a steak house. Tiffany and Taeyeon followed after an hour and told them that they were not able to go to the fashion house.

 

“That’s okay, I’ll call Miss Lee later so you can set an appointment with her. I think a new set of Posens will arrive two days from now. You’ll love them, Fany-ah.” Sooyoung said in between bites.

 

“Where did you two lovebirds run off this time?”

 

Fany rolled her eyes at Sunny and playfully winked, “Jealous much?”

 

“Nobody gets jealous of your gayness, Unnies,” Yoona giggled but bit her lip when Taeyeon shot daggers at her.

 

“Guess where?” Fany said with a tinge of sarcasm amidst the smile. She dropped her fork when all eyes turned to her, “We tailed Seohyun all day.”

 

“You did what?!”

 

“That’s crazy!”

 

“Why did you do that?”

 

Tiffany noticed Taeyeon’s eyes focused on the food on her plate so she cleared , “Because this little crazy here won’t stop ing about it… until I finally drag her here before it’s too late.”

 

“And so? What happened?”

 

“They’re dating.” Taeyeon finally spoke as she stabbed one piece of steak and stared at it absentmindedly.

 

“Uh-oh…”

 

“Dating who? Yonghwa?”

 

There was another silence and Tiffany just shrugged.

 

Yuri turned to Jessica who was still keeping her silence, “Do you know about this?”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes when all attention transferred to her, “Is my surprise face not working? Because the last time I checked I’m wearing one.”

 

“How long has this been going on?” Sunny dropped a hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder but she was still looking at the ice princess who was, apparently, wearing her surprised face.

 

“Ask her sister,” Sica just shrugged, “She might be counting.”

 

Taeyeon maintained her stillness despite the venom on Sica’s voice. She has more to say to Sica one day, but in private.

 

~~~

 

“And thank you… even for today I was your boyfriend,” Yonghwa said when they stopped in front of their gate.

 

Seohyun smiled giving him back the jacket he draped on her shoulder at the beach, “Thank you, Oppa. I had a great time.”

 

Another fairytale ended again and she would be back in her reality. Somehow, the moments spent with him were something she just wanted to hang on to and stretch. The familiar sights around her brought her back to the truth that she would need to deal with her sister. The night after their argument, she decided to finally tell Taeyeon of her secret rendezvous with Yonghwa because she was just too tired of playing her sister for a fool. And then, there was Young Woon to deal with.

 

The thought of him made Seohyun shut her eyes tight. She didn’t really love him and she knows it. It just hurts to know that she let it go on for a long time. It was so unfair for him and she didn’t have the right to continue owning his heart.

 

“Earth to Seohyun?”

 

She was taken aback when Yonghwa finally spoke and she noticed that he was smiling playfully.

 

“You are so lost in thoughts again. I hope you’re having a good one.”

 

“I-I don’t know, Oppa.” Seohyun shook her head, “I think I need to take a breather from everything… I need to think.”

 

Yonghwa furrowed his brows in confusion with her sudden change of mood but then, he smiled, “That’s a good idea… do you want to go somewhere? Maybe, I can—“

 

“No, Oppa… I have to— I really have to think things over.”

 

“I don’t want to impose but does it have to do with me?”

 

Seohyun sighed, “A lot… yes…”

 

“O-okay,” Yonghwa hesitated but nodded, “Take your time, Hyun. The last thing I want is for you to feel burdened.”

 

“Aniyo… it’s not that.” She forced herself to smile, “Oppa, just forget what I said. I really enjoyed being with you… and tonight was really nice.”

 

“Same here…” Yonghwa walked closer. He laid his palm on her cheek— he couldn’t help it. “Take all the time you need. I will wait whatever decision you can come up to. Okay? Let me know… I will accept it, whatever it is…”

 

She nodded and smiled.

 

Yonghwa leaned in to drop a kiss on her cheek to say goodnight not to influence her decisions. He kissed her softly like he did the other night. And, it set off the same crazy butterflies inside her. The same feeling she got whenever he would be too close to him that way.

 

However, this hole in her heart was starting to tear open a little wider. The hole she dug herself when she decided to be with him. Furthermore, there was another thing that was making her heart burn. 

 

Her heart ached for she was missing him already especially taking in his scent now that he was too close. Seohyun shut her eyes as if it could drag the moment his lips met her cold skin. Her mind spun and she took uneven breaths.

 

One move; one tiny move.

 

Her head shifted ever so slightly. Until, finally...

 

To Yonghwa’s surprise, his lips touched hers.

 

She wanted to remember this, to have this night ending this way. With the kiss, nothing and no one else mattered but them as they stood there, with nothing but their lips touching until Yonghwa closed the gap between them with his hands snaking on her waist.

 

Seohyun smiled feeling his hands encircling her body while her own arms draped on his shoulders pulling him close.

 

They kissed, forgetting where they were, who they were and why they were there. Nothing mattered but that moment captured in their lips, in the rapid beating in their chests, as he finally sealed it further maneuvering his tongue on hers, kissing her fully, taking her breath away, and leaving her amazed and alive.

 

He pulled her close and she pulled him close ignoring how they both seemed to be stealing each other’s oxygen yet breathing life and feeding desire on every nibble, on every gasp, and on every taste.

 

They lingered on to each other’s lips for a couple of moments more before they both stopped and tried to chase back their breathing. He gazed at her with fervent longing to ask her— to beg her—to belong to him completely but he just pecked his last kiss on her lips and smiled.

 

Seohyun, herself, didn’t want to let go but she needed to. Only that Yonghwa wasn’t ready yet as he pulled her again in an embrace so tight she could almost think her bones would break.

 

Then, she felt his lips on the exposed part of the side of her neck that it sent shivers down her soles.

 

“I love you…”

 

Seohyun heard him say and she closed her eyes taking in the words, remembering how they sounded and how her heart swelled by that truth. Oh, how much she wanted to say it back! To let him know and assure him. However, all she could do was nod silently until her lips moved softly, “Arayo, Oppa…”