Common Ground

Stole My Heart

"History... Why world history?" Baekhyun asks himself as he slowly puts down his lunch tray on the table. 

"Sit down already and tell us what your so confused about," Kai commands. He puts a hand on Baekhyun's arm and gently tugs at it. 

Baekhyun finally takes a seat and shakes his head. "I really don't get why but Chanyeol just asked me to tutor him for his world history class. He hates anything having to do with history, why would he be so interested now? The guy can't even remember who our first president was!" 

While Baekhyun continues his rant and Jongdae continues harrassing Sehun, Kai can't help but think of how interested Chanyeol seemed to be in that new girl, Rose. It's like everytime he looked at her, his face just turned red and he wouldn't stop smiling. 

"I understand why, she's so adorable and sweet..."

"Wait what did you just say?" 

Everyone at the table stops and looks at Kai whose flabbergasted and mentally slaping himself for saying that out loud. 

"Nothing, nothing," he nervously chuckles, "I was just thinking that we should help Chanyeol out... But we could mess with him a little too."

Jongdae puts on that signature, mischevious grin. The maknae looks confused while Baekhyun isn't sure if he should do this to his best friend. 

But what does it matter? It's just a silly prank. 

 

--The Next Day-- 

 

The loud ringing of the alarm immediately wakes Chanyeol up from his beautiful dream of Rose. God, he just can't get that girl out of his head. Baekhyun and suprisingly Kai have been given him a few lessons about great leaders after school yesterday and now he's determined to make Rose impressed. World history is her favorite subject, judging from how interested she seemed in class about it, while he was staring at her the whole time. 

Even though they are partners, Chanyeol couldn't seem to make conversation with her on the first day so he's hoping he can change that today. He puts on his white long sleeved dress shirt, matched with his striped tie and finally his navy blue jacket. It's until he waves his mom goodbye that he feels the breeze on his legs. He forgot to wear his pants. 

After putting his tan pants and making sure his hair looks extra good, he heads out the door to school. 

"Hey Rose!" Chanyeol says while feeling the heat rising to his cheeks. 

He takes his seat next to her, can't help but to just stare at her for a moment. "She looks so beautiful today," he thinks. 

"Hi Channie," Rose replies with a soft smile. He absolutely loves when she calls him that. 

"Who did you pick to do research on for history class today?" she asks him. 

This is it. Chanyeol knows exactly what to say. He builds up all his confidence to eagerly say, "I picked Napoleon Dynamite. I thought it was awesome when he won that Battle of Waterpoo." 

Rose just blanky stares at him for a few seconds before bursting out in laughter.

"Oh my God, I didn't know you were so funny!" she exclaims, trying to catch her breath. "Seriously, who did you pick?"

"I was being serious," Chanyeol responds, almost coming out in a whisper. His heart is broken and his palms are sweaty as he realized that he just made a fool out of himself.

"Kai taught about it and Baekhyun even agreed!" He's turning red now with anger, knowing that they just lied to him, making him some kind of joke. But all of that goes away when he suddenly feels a light hand touch his shoulder.

"Channie, I didn't know! I'm so sorry. They were probably just messing with you but if you ask me, it was a lame prank. The guy's actual name is Napleon Bonaparte and he lost the battle of  Waterloo," she let's out a giggle when chanyeol smiles, "Why did you have to ask your friends for help? I thought you were great at history too." 

Chanyeol's smile changes to a nervous grin and he rubs his neck, "Ah that... Truth is, I'm terrible at this subject and I am not remotely interested in it. I just wanted to have something in common with you." 

Rose let out her cute laugh again, something the boy did not expect. "It's not like history is my life, silly. I like other thing too you know." She pokes Chanyeols arm playfully. 

Chanyeol blushes, "Well, umm, since we have a history test coming up and I don't want to make a fool of myself again... Can you... tutor me?... And maybe I can learn more about you then?..." 

He prepared for rejection but then her faces lights up. "Sure! How about Friday, afterschool, at the library?" 

"That sounds great!" 

Chanyeol doesn't know that she's just excited as he his... but for all the wrong reasons. 

"Waterpoo? Really? I could've came up with something ten times better than that," Jongdae remarks, hitting Kai in the head. 

"I know, I know. I didn't know what else to say!" Kai replies as he fixes his hair. 

He intended to make Chanyeol say something stupid. Kai just wanted to see if he can make Rose laugh and he saw her let out those fit of incredibly cute giggles, it was worth getting a hard hit to the head. 

 

--This chapter seems really long... Sorry!!! I just thought that if I broke it up, the next chapter would be too short... Anyway, hope you liked it!! Seems like the new girl is quite the heart stealer~ :D