twenty-eight: hwajeon

Instant Noodles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

twenty-eight: hwajeon

 

Kyungsoo sighed as he received no other messages from Chanyeol from last night. He placed his phone back on the table and felt Jongin enter the bedroom.

“What’s up?” Came Jongin’s usual tone, a towel around his shoulders keeping his wet, freshly showered hair from dripping all over the place.

“I don’t know,” Kyungsoo shrugged, adjusting himself on the bed. “Chanyeol-hyung’s texts seemed a little disturbing to me.”

“Hm?” Jongin raised an eyebrow, which prompted Kyungsoo to show him the exchange of texts he was having with the elder. Jongin read through the thread in one go before his smile dropped.

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo blinked at his partner who seemed to have understood what was happening. “Do you—Do you know something?”

Jongin blinked and placed the phone down, looking aside. “Well… I did know Chanyeol-hyung before you. In fact, I wouldn’t have met you if it weren’t for hyung.”

Kyungsoo smiled with nostalgia. It was during their younger days when it happened—Chanyeol and Jongin were part of the guys that often caused a lot of ruckus around the campus. One goofy trip to the next. Eventually, it landed in front of the Culinary Club’s doorstep, where they’d eventually meet Kyungsoo and form a sort of brotherhood amongst themselves.

“So?” Kyungsoo leaned towards Jongin. “What is it then?”

“…” Jongin kept silent, wiping his face with the towel instead.

Kyungsoo sighed, “Hyung mentioned before that he was afraid of rejection. I never realized it… that he felt that way. Does it have something to do with this?”

“He said that?” Jongin’s eyes widened.

A nod from his partner, “It was around the time when he came here for some support, when he confessed to us that he did love Kris-hyung.” Kyungsoo paused, “He was a real mess then.”

“…” Jongin pulled the towel from his shoulders, gripping it with both hands. “Well, I’m not going to deny that. He does have a deep-seated fear for rejection, why do you think I was so happy when he mentioned about that Kris guy? I never thought he’d try so hard at this cooking thing after all. After… what happened…”

Kyungsoo looked worriedly at Jongin’s expression. It looked like he was remembering something awful. Kyungsoo held his hand, “Jongin? What happened? How come I don’t know about this?”

“… You weren’t there.” Jongin mumbled. But unfortunately or not, I was. “Besides, knowing hyung, he’d want to keep that in the dark.”

“Won’t you tell me?” Kyungsoo pleaded, “His messages bothered me. Whatever is happening, I’d like to help him. He’s our hyung after all… and this is his first love.”

Jongin turned his hand over to intertwine his fingers with Kyungsoo’s. He never thought he’d have to relive that moment again…

 

I awoke with an empty space beside me. God, why does that guy wake up so early? I shrugged, simply snuggling deeper into my blankets and only then did I realize that I was still . Ugh.

I got up and searched around for signs of my clothes. “What the—“ They were gone. Where the hell did they go? I pouted, standing up to head for my closet. I put on some sweatpants and a shirt and headed outside of my room, now somewhat awake. I heard the whirring of my washing machine and bumped into Kris as he left the laundry room, still wearing my spare clothes.

“Oh,” He said, holding a bottle of fabric conditioner in his hand. “You’re finally awake.”

I pouted, “What’re you doing?” I glanced over and saw my washing machine washing some clothes. “Are my clothes in there too?”

“Yeah,” He said, shaking the bottle in front of my face. “You’d better buy another one. You ran out.” He walked towards the kitchen to throw it in the bin.

“Who—“ I stammered, looking to and fro, “No one said you’d have to do laundry!”

“If you won’t then who will?” He sighed, a look of disappointment on his face. “Your basket was piling up in the bathroom, why did you think I brought my clothes back in the room last night with me?”

I blushed. So I didn’t have time to wash my laundry, but that’s because I had other things to worry about! I glared at him, “Mind your own business!” I spat, walking over to him to kick him in the shin, except I wasn’t able to because he turned around and wrapped an arm around my waist. “Wha—“

“What will you ever do without me?” He smiled mischievously as he pecked a kiss at the corner of my mouth. I squirmed, helpless in his arms. “You’re like a baby, Chanyeol. Can’t you do anything by yourself?”

I froze for a second, which didn’t go unnoticed considering I was in his arms. He blinked, his eyes narrowing at me and my reaction. I quickly hid my face and laughed—unfortunately, my nerves got the better of me and it sounded fake.

“Are you okay?” He asked, leaning closer to inspect. I pushed him away, turning around.

“O-Of course I’m fine.” I said, biting my lower lip. . “I’m going… I’m going to go get some fresh air.”

“What?” He croaked, head turning around to follow me as I walked past him to head to my front door, wearing only a shirt, sweatpants and slippers. I slammed the door right at his face before he could catch up to me.

“… Dammit.” I muttered, finally alone outside the door of my apartment. I walked over to the balcony overlooking the city. The cool morning air helped me calm down but I knew that I wasn’t perfectly all right. What I was thinking last night came up to my head and I ruffled my hair in frustration. Why now?

I thought helplessly as I bent over, taking the bars with my hands. Why do I have to remember that now?

“You aren’t thinking of anything stupid, are you?” Kris’s voice came out of nowhere that I jumped out of my skin.

“Wh—!” I gasped, turning around, surprised and flabbergasted to see him behind me with his arms crossed. He looked really pissed off, well, I partially don’t blame him since I just slammed a door right at his face.

“What’s with you? Are you mad just because I took some of your dirty laundry and washed them?” He said, raising an eyebrow, completely suspicious at my strange behavior.

It’s not like I want to tell him what’s wrong with me—No, I don’t want to tell him. We’ve both just experienced quite a roller coaster of emotions with his teacher, I don’t think it’s smart for me to just mention a smudge of my past right now…

“Chanyeol?” He called, causing me to flinch, like I had touched fire. He frowned, a little hurt by the distance I was unconsciously making. “What the hell’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing,” I replied quickly, glancing away. I wasn’t sure if I had the balls to look at him straight. “It’s nothing. I wasn’t bothered by the laundry, it’s just… me.”

“…” Kris didn’t buy it. He grabbed my hand and pulled me back inside the apartment. I whined, telling him to let go of my hand and not to worry so much. I’m old enough to sort out my issues, after all. Once we were back inside, he dragged me to the kitchen and released my hand. “Even if it’s just you or whatever, I’d still like to know. Not being able to do anything when you’re obviously in some kind of dilemma makes me feel like .”

I rubbed my arm for lack of anything to do with it. “… Really, Kris… it’s nothing.”

He sighed, “Don’t you trust me?” He muttered and I quickly panicked. I grabbed his arms and held them tightly.

“I trust you!” I spat, “Really! I do!” I paused, my mouth hanging open. I just don’t trust myself enough to tell you… or how much to tell you about me… My hands trembled as they held onto Kris’s arms.

He reached over and wrapped his arms around me once more, kissing me lightly on my temple. The action was sweet but it had a slight pressure about it, almost silently telling me to reveal what it was that was bothering me. “Then, why don’t you say anything?”

“…” I silently sighed, hugging him back. There’s no use in arguing with this guy. When he wants something, he usually gets it. Is this some skill he acquired when he was such a bastard in the past? Ugh. I thought as I came up with a compromise for the mean time. “… When… When I’m ready, Kris. I’ll tell you. Okay?”

He gave a silent response, hugging me tighter before releasing me. “Fine.” He said, eyeing me once. I gave a small smile before walking away, back to my room to compose myse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter