Puzzles

Heart Attack

Kyungsoo looked up at the building in front of him. His eyes travelled up the glassed exterior of the building as it stretched up to touch the dark clouded sky. Vehicles raced past him in a flurry of light and noise, reflecting their headlights off his face. The whole scene seemed to have a dizzying numbing effect on his mind.
The sound of a car door clicking closed brought Kyungsoo back to his senses. Jongin walked up beside him, holding his brief case in his hand with his coat slung over his arm.
He looked across at Kyungsoo.

‘Shall we get going then?’

Kyungsoo smiled at the younger boy and nodded as the two of them crossed the street, heading into the building.
20 floors up and Kyungsoo was feeling dizzy. His footsteps reverberated down the long corridor, he could hear the faint noise of the traffic below them. Jongin was walking ahead of Kyungsoo, shuffling through his pockets for his keys. They stopped in front of a door with the numbers 20’08 engraved in silver metal on the door. Jongin pushed the door, holding it open for Kyungsoo.
For the first time in his life, Jongin felt embarrassed about the way his apartment looked, he made a mental note to clean it out afterwards, for now he’d just have to improvise.

‘Ignore the mess, I live alone and rarely have visitors.’

Kyungsoo chuckled, looking around at the small place Jongin called a house, nodding as he looked around.

‘Not bad, not bad at all.’

Jongin blushed slightly as he looked at the mess of clothes, files and coffee mugs laying abandoned on the floor. He quickly grabbed the clothes from earlier on in the morning off the couch and walked briskly into his room, speaking hurriedly.

‘Uhh, have a seat, I’ll make us some coffee.’

Kyungsoo smiled and nodded, sitting down onto the couch, looking at the assortments of papers on the coffee table. Jongin, glanced back to see the older boy reaching for a file whilst he quickly dashed into his room, throwing his clothes into the closet. He walked back out, walking quickly towards the small kitchen, grabbing milk and mugs from the fridge and benches around him.
A few minutes later he was walking back into the living room, holding two mugs of coffee in his hands. Jongin sighed deeply as he walked around the couch and placed the mugs onto the coffee table.
Kyungsoo was now sitting on the floor with his legs folded underneath the coffee table. Jongin tilted his head and sat down on the opposite side of the coffee table, placing a mug near Kyungsoo’s elbow.
Kyungsoo blinked and looked up, smiling at the boy.

‘Thank you.’

Jongin nodded slowly, glancing at the file in Kyungsoo’s hands.

‘What you looking at?’

Kyungsoo sighed and leaned onto the coffee table, picking up his mug and taking a sip.

‘Luhans case file.’

Jongin raised an eyebrow, tilting his head slightly.

‘There’s nothing in it, I’ve looked through every interface I could but there was nothing about Luhan other than his name and physical appearance, they didn’t even have his age.’

Kyungsoo scoffed slightly

‘Of course they wouldn’t’

Jongin blinked, staring at the look of distaste on the latter’s face.

‘What’s that mean?’

Kyungsoo sighed and ran his fingers through his hair

‘Trust me, I’ve looked everywhere. All the information that there was stored about Luhan was completely erased, there’s not even a single scrap of evidence saying he ever had any kind of health issue. It’s all been wiped clean.’

Jongin frowned and tapped his finger on the coffee table, looking at Kyungsoo.

‘Hyung?’

Kyungsoo looked at Jongin properly, the younger boy’s eyebrows were creased and his eyes reflected an aggressive aura.

‘Are you hiding anything from me?’

Kyungsoo felt his skin shudder at the way this boy was reading him. He’d have no choice but to surrender, for now.
He shut his eyes, taking a deep breath before opening them. His eyes were misty brown orbs and his voice came out cool and calm

‘What do you want to know?’

‘Everything; how do you even know Luhan?’

Kyungsoo nodded slowly, focusing on the coffee stains on the table top.

‘He came to our hospital two years ago. At the time I was only a nurse in training and Luhan was living with his father. He was beaten badly enough to be put into intensive care. When he regained his consciousness I was able to find out that his own father had beaten him to this point.’

Jongin growled softly

‘He better have a damned good reason to beat him like that.’

Kyungsoo just sighed and shook his head, his lips forming into a scowl

‘He beat his own son for being homoual.’

Jongin spluttered slightly, staring at Kyungsoo with his mouth gaping open.

‘You’ve got to be kidding me.’

The older boy shook his head. It disgusted him as well. To think that people like that still existed even in today’s society.

‘That’s not all.’

Jongin leaned back slightly, eyes never leaving Kyungsoo

‘There’s more?’

Kyungsoo nodded slowly.

‘During Luhans recuperation period I was looking through some scans we had of his organs. Majority of his vital organs seemed alright but there was something peculiar about his heart.’

Kyungsoo reached over into the pocket of his coat, pulling out a dark sheet of plastex. It was a blown up x ray scan. The older boy looked around, spotting the laptop on the coffee table. He flipped open the laptop, brushing his fingers over the mouse. The screen lit up dimly. Jongin could see the warning light blinking on the corner of the monitor.
Kyungsoo placed the picture over the monitor.
The light of the monitor shone through the x-ray scan, illuminating the image.

‘While I was examining Luhan’s x-rays, I noticed this when I was looking at an x-ray of his lungs.’

Jongin’s eyebrows furrowed as he looked at Kyungsoo before glancing back at the screen. The image didn’t show up properly on the screen as the monitor was dim. Jongin could just make out the outline of two lungs and something wedged in between, presumably the heart.

Jongin blinked as he looked closer at the x-ray. There was something wrong with the image that he couldn’t quite understand. Jongin moved forward, turning up the brightness on the screen.
His eyes widened as he stared at the image.

‘What the … is that?’

Kyungsoo was looking at Jongin with a grave look on his face.

‘That… is Luhan’s heart.’

Jongin turned his head slowly to look at Kyungsoo.
Flashing on the screen was a graphic image of a dishevelled shrunken lump that sat where Luhan’s heart was meant to be.
Kyungsoo sighed and turned to the screen, pointing out certain parts of Luhan’s chest cavity.

‘Assuming that this is meant to be Luhan’s heart it can clearly be seen that both the atriums of his heart have collapsed. His papillary muscle has been torn away from his left ventricle and has been placed in such a position that makes it seem like its orbiting his heart. The muscle is somehow connect by thin strands or god knows what. I’m not sure if its tissue or bone sinew I just don’t know, but these strands are spreading out from the main vessel and have connected themselves to the closest organs, which is the left and right lungs.’

Jongin’s eyes followed the motions of Kyungsoo’s finger as he absorbed everything the other man had said.

‘So you’re saying, that this boy doesn’t have a proper heart, yet he’s still alive?’

Kyungsoo took a deep breath in, exhaling deeply.

‘Barely. I wasn’t sure what this thing is but all I know is that it could kill Luhan if anything severe happens to him. I haven’t been able to find any solution to it and when I went to consult Luhan, he had run away from the hospital.’

Jongin shook his head. He couldn’t understand anything that was happening. He was enraged that Luhan’s father could be so narrow minded, he was even more enraged that he’d now have to watch a small innocent boy die without being able to do anything to help him.

‘So… what do we do?’

Kyungsoo looked at Jongin. He was surprised that the boy hadn’t backed out. Kyungsoo smiled to himself, he felt happy to know that there were still people in the world willing to help complete strangers.

‘The only thing we can do is get that thing out of Luhan’s system and give him a proper heart. It’ll be risky though… too risky...’

Jongin nodded slowly.

‘We’ll do it. We’ll make sure Sehun doesn’t lose his brother…’

Kyungsoo felt something tug at his insides. He couldn’t understand the being that sat in front of him. His mind was trying to put together the puzzle that was Jongin. He was so alone, living by himself, Kyungsoo was mesmerized by the fact that this person still had such a warm heart.
Jongin blinked, sensing Kyungsoo’s hesitation. The boy reached over and waved his hand in front of Kyungsoo’s face.

‘Hello? Kyungsoo hyung? Anybody there?’

Kyungsoo blinked and shook his head, as if he was coming back to his senses.
Jongin smiled softly at the older boy.

‘It’s late, you can stay over if you like. You can sleep on the bed, I’ll take the couch.’

Kyungsoo smiled at Jongin, nodding.

‘If you don’t mind.’

Jongin grinned and leaned back onto his palms

‘So, when are we doing this operation?’

Kyungsoo’s lips slowly formed into a smirk as if he had realized something.

‘We will, but there’s something we need to do first.’ 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N 
/she groans, cracking her back before stumbling around like a dead zombie. 

MY BAAAAACK HUUUUUUUUUURTS 
HERE TAKE IT 
TAKE THE UPDATE 
I--- 


Sorry for the late update ne? ^^''
Things are getting complicated but now I'm on Christmas Break and I'll be able to work on my fics more~ 
I started a new fic but I haven't started working on it yet 
ORZ 
Silly me 

Anyways I hope you all are okay 
Merry Christmas everyne <3 
Make sure to spend it with your beloved family ok?

I hope you guys have a great day and as always 
Enjoy~ <3