New Beginnings

Shacking Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

August 2009…

 

            As I woke, I felt overheated.  We were in the middle of a heat streak and although we had air conditioning, we never had it cranked high enough to be completely cool, so being bundled up in the bed was a little much for me and when I squirmed around and flung the covers off me, I must have elbowed Kyuhyun, because the next thing I knew, I heard a loud thump from behind me and pained groans.

            “Ooooow,” he mumbled.

            I peeked over my mattress, lying on my stomach, and gave Kyuhyun a sympathetic smile.  “I’m sorry, baby!”

            He was lying on his back on the hardwood floor and slowly sat up and climbed back into bed.  It wasn’t as if this hadn’t happened before, unfortunately.  Once every couple weeks, one of us rolled off the bed.  Usually I didn’t cause it to happen myself though.  Without complaint, Kyuhyun lay back down in my twin bed and I let him wrap his arms around me to keep from falling over the edge again.  This bed was far too small for both of us, but I didn’t like the idea of sleeping on the floor.

            Despite the fact that we’d agreed to rearrange rooms back in the spring, we were so wrapped up in our work, we hadn’t gotten around to moving everything.  Thankfully, that was on the agenda for later that morning.  Some of the members were already staying upstairs, but were sleeping on mattresses or had managed to get all their things moved with just one or two other people helping.  Since Leeteuk mostly slept upstairs at that point, Kyuhyun often stayed in my room.  Although trying to fit both of us on one twin bed was a little bit of work and half the time, he eventually just left and returned to his own room, but I felt bad because I knew he had just as much trouble sleeping there alone.  He was just doing it so I could rest.

            “I should just sleep in my own bed,” he grumbled.

            “Wouldn’t you rather stay with me?” I asked, pinching his .

            “Of course I would, but we keep waking up.”

            “I keep waking up because I’m excited that we’ll be sharing a room from today on.”

            Kyuhyun had his eyes closed, still exhausted from our packed schedule, but tightened his grip on me and kissed my cheek.  “So am I.”

            “Are we going to continue sleeping in one bed or do you have a better idea?” I asked.

            “I thought we could push our beds together for the time being, although I think yours is taller than mine.  Eventually, we’ll have to save up enough money just to buy a bigger bed, but I can’t afford that yet,” he admitted.

            “We should paint too!”

            “What color?” he mumbled, his eyes still closed.

            “Lilac.”

            “Lilac?” he asked, slitting his eyes open to look at me.  “Only girls call colors names like that.  Just call it purple.  Light purple, if you really need to be specific.”

            I smacked him hard in the chest, waking him up more.  “I’m not a girl!”

            “I’m not painting the room lilac!”

            I narrowed my eyes at him.

            “How about this?  You can have complete reign over the closet if you let me pick the color,” he suggested.

            I bit my lip, tempted by his offer.  “What color would you paint it?”

            Kyuhyun shrugged.  “I might wallpaper it, actually, but I don’t want girly colors in here when other people are going to see it too.  How would I explain that to Changmin?”

            “Changmin isn’t going to quit playing games with you because the walls are lilac.”

            “Right, he’s going to quit because my bedroom walls are light purple!”

            I rolled my eyes at his childishness.

            “And then, if my parents come over or Ahra, can you imagine—”

            “Fine!  Fine!” I agreed, not daring to wonder what Mr. Cho would think of such a thing.  He’d accuse me of feminizing his son.  And Mrs. Cho?  Ahra?  It was better not to go there and face the consequences.  “Then I get to pick what hangs on the wall.”

            “No!” he quickly objected.  “I need at least one wall.  I have pictures I want to put up!”

            “Fine, three for me and one for you, plus I get to control the closet.  What if I don’t have room for your shirts by the time I’m done with filling it?  Where will yours hang?”

            “I’ll just throw them all away since you don’t like my style anyway.”

            “You don’t have any style, that’s the problem.”

            “That’s what we have stylists for,” he reminded me.  “I don’t care what you think of what I wear around the dorm.”

            “Dressing nice would get you laid more, just so you know,” I pointed out.  “Nothing ruins the mood like turtle necks and baggy pants.”

            “I don’t wear turtlenecks…often.”

            “Just saying…your neck should never be hidden and tight jeans that show off your wouldn’t hurt either.”

            Kyuhyun crunched his face at me.  “They’re too constricting.”

            “Just think of it as friction.”

            “I like how everyone’s convinced I’m the addict when clearly you’re far sicker than I am,” he pointed out.  “I’m not wearing a bunch of uncomfortable clothes around the apartment just to impress you.”

            “I’m throwing away all your ugly clothes the minute you turn your back, so you’ll want to get used to them.”

            “Fine, I’ll just forego clothing.  At least the fans will be happy…and Siwon.”

            “So, you’re going to walk around ?”

            “You don’t want me to?  I guess I’ll just have to wear your shirts and sweaters instead and store my jeans and pants in the dresser,” he said.

            If that was supposed to deter me, he failed.  Most of my clothes were a little big on me anyway because the fans and stylists never took into account just how skinny I was.  Most of them would probably fit him just fine.  “Well, I’ll save you a little room, but the closet isn’t very big,” I said, poking his chin with my finger.

            Kyuhyun glanced over at the closet, which took up most of one wall, and shook his head in exasperation.  “So thoughtful of you!”

            “I know,” I said, smiling up at him and trying not to laugh.

            Kyuhyun, eager to end conversations about closet space and paint colors, ducked his head down to kiss me.  What started out as quick, playful pecks soon escalated into a hot and heavy make out session and I found myself yanking on the hem of Kyuhyun’s shirt, trying to remove anything and everything that kept his skin from touching mine.  Succeeding, I randomly tossed the shirt across the room.

            “Ah!” yelled Hyukjae as he walked into the room, batting the shirt off his face. 

            Kyuhyun was so startled at being walked in on, he rolled over to get off me and accidentally moved too far and, since my arms were still wrapped around him, rolled us both off the bed.  We landed, rather ungracefully, in a tangle of limbs and bed sheets.

            “Oh my God!” Hyukjae said, covering his eyes up quick when he realized he hadn’t walked in on us sleeping, but getting busy in the bed. 

            “We’re still mostly dressed, hyung,” I informed him.

            “Damn it, Hyuk!  Ever think of knocking?” Kyuhyun snapped, not thrilled at falling out of bed for the second time in one morning.  “First things first, I’m putting a lock on this door!”

            “Did you need something?” I asked Hyukjae, who was peeking out at us through his fingers, making sure we were covered up before committing himself to putting down his hands. 

            “Minnie made us all a big breakfast before we get started and the guys are all coming down from upstairs, so I suggest you resume your present activities until later.  , next time I’m making him come get you.  It’s all fine if I walk in on anyone else, but watching the babies going at it is a little more than I can handle at the moment, especially when the extent of my ual activities involve long showers and computer .”

            “I swear to God, if you start talking about wanking off, I’m going to beat your .  There are some things I’d like to remain ignorant of,” Kyuhyun informed him, covering his ears.

            I was a little too speechless to comment, personally.

            “I wasn’t the one with my hand down another members pajama bottoms just now, so I think we’re even,” he said, turning around and heading back out the door, slamming it shut behind him. 

            Kyuhyun grumbled to himself about the lack of privacy and headed down the hall to the bathroom and I took a deep breath, hoping that Sungmin’s big breakfast was enough to brighten their moods or this was bound to be a long day once we all started moving furniture around.  If not, I might have to fake a back sprain and head to the ER for a little piece and quiet.  Put about ten men into a tiny space and make them rearrange the entire place and tempers were bound to flare and chaos ensue.  Thankfully, Leeteuk was going to be there to keep some semblance of peace.  Still, the sooner we got started and finished up, the better.

 

 

            The whole operation was quicker than I thought it would be.  They sent me into the kitchen to divide up the kitchen supplies and utensils between the two apartments, but as it turned out, they didn’t know what most of it was used for in the upstairs dorm, and I kept the vast majority downstairs, just sending them up with plates, bowls, glasses, silverware, a couple sharp knives, a pot and pan, and a pizza cutter in the end.  I was relieved not to be one of the ones moving furniture, since I heard an overabundance of swearing and shouting just from the kitchen and could only imagine how much worse it got when they were carrying it up four flights and into the upper dorms.

            A couple hours in, I was just finishing dividing up the towels and linen so that the members upstairs would hopefully wash theirs every now and then when I noticed my bed disassembled and being carried past my spot at the dining room table, where I was folding dishrags to put into a box.

            Kangin and Yesung were trying to maneuver the box spring through the door while Donghae and Hyukjae patiently waited behind them with the headboard and wooden pieces of the frame.

            “Hyungs!” I cried out in a panic.  “Where are you taking my bed?”

            “Upstairs,” Leeteuk explained, coming around the corner.  “Henry’s been staying over so much, we thought he ought to have his own bed too.”

            “But what am I going to sleep on?”

        

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter