05: Reaching the Gap

Reaching You!

Kyuhyun woke up the next day with the smell of his favorite pancakes and syrups, a scent that woke him up almost every day for the past 10 years of his life, except through the days when the person who created that wonderful scent left him.

 

The morning with open windows, the smell of the ocean and the chirping of sea bound birds gave his heart a jolt, remembering that he wasn't in the busy streets of Seoul, he's now in a beautiful island, having a vacation with the most favorable person to be with.

 

Running his hands through his messy hair he sat up feeling the warmth from the sun, a laugh crosses his lips and he tossed the covers of his bed to ran towards the kitchen where he is sure his bestfriend is, preparing the most important meal of the day.

 

His smile were ear to ear, he trudges towards the kitchen almost running on things and as soon as he saw the familiar back of Lee Sungmin he stopped to stare. Heart pouncing in a very unusual way as his best friend flips pancakes, wearing an apron, his spectacled eyes peering over the newspaper every now and then.

 

The urge to wrap his arms around his best friend's waist almost took over him when the fact that they were 'just' friends crosses his mind. 

 

Sungmin's owned by someone else now, and he has his place only on the sides as a bestfriend. 

 

How stupid it is to fall for your bestfriend, how stupid can he get to let himself be left unsure, how stupid he became when he let that love go. He had a chance, a 10 year length of chances yet he blew it all away just like that.

 

hyun...

 

yuhyun...

 

"KYUHYUN!"

 

Kyuhyun blinked his eyes towards the man across him who's looking at him with worry written on his face. Every inch of Sungmin's face where laid out in front of him, those perfect lips, those enticing eyes, that soft, warm skin, if he had seen everything earlier then maybe...

 

"Kyuhyun, what's wrong? Are you sick or something?" Sungmin asked turning off the stove and walking towards Kyuhyun placing his palm against the other's forehead.

 

Time stopped.

 

That’s for sure, and Kyuhyun kept cursing himself to move away from the other but he was frozen. Right there on that moment, staring deep into Sungmin’s eyes.

 

He shouldn’t feel this way. He shouldn’t fall for the person who’s already happy with someone else. He kept repeating this over and over himself but Sungmin’s making it hard, if he looked at him that way… he didn’t know what else he could do to stop himself from falling…

 

“Ehem- Did I interrupt something?”

 

Kyuhyun moved away from Sungmin almost instantly seeing the smug face from Leeteuk. He rolled his eyes towards his Hyung. Sungmin on the other hand turned red without Kyuhyun noticing it and return to his pancakes.

 

“3 slices please my pretty Min.” Leeteuk sat himself on the table followed by Kyuhyun who seemed to sulk even more when his Hyung appear before him with a triumphant know-it-all smile.

 

“Here.” Sungmin handed two plates of pancakes to each of the man sitting at the table, maple syrup pancakes for both Kyuhyun and Leeteuk.

 

Sungmin placed his own plate on the table and sat across Kyuhyun.

 

Seeing the pancakes and the choice of syrup, a memory triggered into the eldest of the three. Leeteuk, mischievous as he is, tried to pull another joke on the two men in front of him.

 

“Sungminnie, why do we have maple syrup, I want a blueberry one. That’s your favorite right?”

“Kyuhyun’s allergic to blueberries –“

 

“I’m allergic to blueberries –“

 

The two answered in unison earning a satisfied grin from Leeteuk who forced down his laugh as soon as he saw the redness of Sungmin’s ear, obviously flustered.

 

“Aish!” Kyuhyun stared at Leeteuk in disbelief, clearly embarrassed as his bestfriend is. “You know about that small detail why do you even need to ask?!”

 

Leeteuk shrugged his shoulders. “I think it slipped my mind.” He giggled before taking a bite on his pancake. “Uwaahh… Sungmin, what the hell is the matter with these pancakes! It’s downright heavenly!”

 

Sungmin smirked. “Well I cook for Jongwoon and Ryeowook pretty often coz they both at it, I got plenty of training here. “

 

“Hmm…” the elder nodded chewing the food, enjoying the burst of flavors in his mouth. “By the way where are those two anyways?”

 

Kyuhyun returned to stabbing his pancakes when the mere mention of Sungmin’s boyfriend made him feel less of a person. It irked him to the core yet he hated himself for feeling that way.

 

Sungmin seemed surprise by the question but he isn’t supposed to put up his guard especially if they were supposed to be talking about someone he really like, but somehow it feels like Leeteuk’s prying eyes knew something that he shouldn’t.

 

“Uh- t-they’ve gone out for Jongwoon’s club practice. Yeah… that’s it.” Sungmin smiled cursing himself for stuttering before returning back to his food.

“Oh…” Leeteuk nodded hiding a chuckle under his lips. It was just plain stupid for Sungmin to hide something that was pretty obvious. He and Jongwoon lost that fire of love, the same thing he saw on the first time Sungmin introduced Jongwoon to him. Jongwoon of course loved Sungmin, with everything he had. A one sided love, even in its own way is a real love, but once not returned, no matter how real it is. It will dissolve into nothing.

 

He admired Jongwoon for being so persistent, even befriending Sungmin and going with him to another place just to move on or rather escape. It’s downright absurd and pathetic but it is no lesser than admirable and dedicated. Jongwoon really love Sungmin and he just can’t imagine how painful it is to endure for someone who didn’t love you as much as he should have, but maybe, having Ryeowook changes everything.

 

He learned the evening before that Sungmin and the singer broke up before they even left Seoul a year ago, it take Sungmin weeks to recollect himself, pour himself to work, cry every now and then for his stupidity and space out frequently because he misses Kyuhyun. Jongwoon had been the living witness of the struggle the blonde man endured all those times, but though he stayed with the other, Sungmin was afraid.

 

 Afraid to face Kyuhyun.

 

Jongwoon, in the process of helping Lee Sungmin met Ryeowook on the bar, he’s a waiter and while he was sulking to the helplessness and martyrdom he put himself on to. Ryeowook knocked some sense in him and had been there (though he was always bullying him) all the time. A good few months after he arrived at Jeju, he found himself head-over-heels in love with the snarky little push-over.

 

At least, good for him he had moved on and found someone who can return the love he lost, unlike Sungmin who keeps hiding himself from his fears. This stupidity will surely backfire on him, big time.

 

“By the way Kyuhyun…” Leeteuk transferred his attention towards the other man. “Should we schedule our flight back to Seoul within today? There’s so many things left to do at the office and I think the misunderstanding is solved already so there’s no reason-“

 

“You’re leaving?” the disbelief and disappointment in Sungmin’s voice and expression were hard to miss. The blonde man stared at Kyuhyun who’s sitting across him while Kyuhyun avoided his eyes.

 

A pit started to build in Sungmin’s stomach, and it was something he cannot just ignore. Yes, at first he had difficulty facing Kyuhyun but now, when they are face to face and he had the chance to be with the other, it seems like he didn’t want to see Kyuhyun walked out from him again.

 

“Can’t you stay? Even for just a few more days?”

 

Before he could filter the plea, it came out of his mouth startling Kyuhyun. His best friend looked up at him, confusion in his eyes as he searched the proof that Sungmin meant what he had just said.

 

“Uhm, sorry Sungmin but Kyuhyun’s in a middle of business proposal meetings and –“

“A few more days are okay.”

 

Kyuhyun cut Leeteuk on his speech leaving the older gaping. “B-But Kyuhyun we can’t afford the-“

“We will make amends Hyung. Set up a conference meeting later, I’m sure you brought the laptop, we can contact the main team back in Seoul and I can type the proposals here.”

 

The affirmation in Kyuhyun’s voice made Leeteuk chuckle and Sungmin gaped, red flushing from his cheeks.

 

“I’m sorry for even asking you to-“ Sungmin looked deep to Kyuhyun’s playful eyes and he saw that signature smirk of confidence he missed.

 

“I’m on a vacation, and I’m the CEO. The hell with their opinion… right?” Kyuhyun chuckled before taking another bite of his pancake, smug written all over his face, making Sungmin’s heart burst from happiness of being Cho Kyuhyun’s priority.

 

***

 

Sungmin paced back and forth across the living room. Kyuhyun's immersed on the video conference he was having with their supplier and staffs from Seoul and their business partners from Japan and China and its making Sungmin restless, what if Kyuhyun were reprimanded and he was dragged back to Seoul or what if there were important things to settle and if Kyuhyun refuse to return to Seoul his company will be in dire situation. He suddenly felt the urge to barge in and tell Kyuhyun to forget about his stupid clinging and return to Seoul as soon as possible.

 

He suddenly regretted how he failed to hide the disappointment he felt when he learned that his bestfriend needed to go.

 

"Don't worry Kyuhyun will make a way..." Leeteuk voiced out amusement on his face as he watched Sungmin's anxiety. "He always will, as long as you asked for it."

 

"B-But hyung.. I-" Sungmin sighed bringing his fingers to his lips. "I mean, It wasn't really necessary to stay here and I know, unlike before he has so many things to do now..."

 

"But you always comes first. That was one thing you can always count on, in him, your place doesn't change."

 

"But the question now is... Does his place in you changed over this past year?"

 

Sungmin looked at his hyung and the strain in his eyes made the elder know that Kyuhyun is still his priority.

 

"If so then... Why is it so hard to open yourself to him, No ual innuendos intended to that-?"

 

There was a moment of silence wherein Sungmin blushed hard but maintained his surprise at the bay, looking at the elder and was certain that Leeteuk knew something about him that he kept a secret from him and Kyuhyun.

 

Before he could ask further the door of Kyuhyun's room opened a beaming Kyuhyun appeared from behind it, wearing his ridiculous tuxedo for his tops and only boxers on his bottom.

 

“I have 5 days Min!” He cheered bringing his bestfriend in his arms ruffling Sungmin’s blonde locks. Sungmin caught his breath at the sudden contact but never had the will to push the other.

 

A satisfied smile crept upon Sungmin’s lips before he finally gathered himself and pout, pushing the other man away.

 

“Yah! You’ll be free-loading for a couple of days more, what’s so great about that?!.”

 

“What’s great about it is I’ll be here and we could spend some time together.” Kyuhyun’s smug voice answered Sungmin with a confident smirk. “So… where should we go today?”

 

Sungmin looked at the other quite surprise yet filled with so much excitement to the upcoming events for the next few days. He could enjoy it and maybe fill up the gap he didn’t mean to create.

 

But before all that there is something still disturbing his precious view of the stroll with the best man he’ll ever have in his life.

 

“Before you ask where to go, my baby Kyu…” Sungmin said with a wide smile appearing like sunshine from his face, leaning closer to the other man.

 

“Change your outfit.” The blonde spat at the other, his smile melting to furrowed brows and scrunched up nose eyeing the CEO from head to foot.  “I will not going to be seen with a man dressed like some ert!”

 

And Kyuhyun shuffled towards his room, slamming the door in embarrassment.

 

 

 

 

TBC

 

A/N: Do you still remember this? Huhuuh I have the feeling that you don’t recognize this fic anymore TT_TT sorry for being late on updates with this, it’s a bright themed fic so it’s a breath of fresh air from all the angst of my WTFR… Hope this chapter will make you remembers and please do not forget this fic of mine. I really love this. I know the chapter isn’t enough but I’m sure to update a lot faster from now on, there were so much more nice and funny events coming up... Thanks so much for your support.