Chapter 09

By Faith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Sshhh, Yoong." cooed Tiffany. She held Yoona in her arms and soothingly her hair.

"Before, before you told me he..." she stuttered to find the words. "I just called him, Fany. I called him because I finally understand..." Her face was covered against Tiffany's shoulders. "And now he won't know! He won't know!" Her body shivered in Tiffany's embrace.

"Of course he knows sweetie. I'm sure he does." She attempted to wipe Yoona's face. Yoona stared at her, bewildered. After a moment, she tried to calm herself.

"How can you stay so strong?" she whispered. "How do you do it?"

"Because I know how much you need me right now. And I know Oppa would want me to take care of you." She said simply. "And I know he would want you to be strong for Yooyeon." Yoona looked away from Tiffany and glanced at the wall. She ran her hand against her face. She said the next words quietly.

"You know I never stopped loving him, Fany. I tried to hide it, but I couldn't. That's why I haven't moved on..." She sighed. "Even though I pretended I hated him, I didn't. I was just so hurt because I couldn't understand why he changed. And now, now that I've finally realized, now that he finally realized, we still can't be together, it's just not fair..." She bit her lip so hard it began to bleed. "Is this what love is supposed to be about?"

"I don't know..." Tiffany shook her head sullenly. "I really don't."

Suddenly, the girls heard a loud but muffled whimper in the hallway. Afraid something happened to Khun, Tiffany rushed out of the bedroom.

"Oh My God!"

Yoona came out of the room in response to Tiffany's outburst. She nearly fell against the wall as she let out a scream. Tiffany continued to stand, motionless and pale, as though she had just seen a ghost. Taecyeon and Khun were standing at the end of the hall hugging each other, both engrossed in fear and relief, both crying their hearts out.

"Taecyeon!" yelled Yoona frantically. She clumsily ran to him, a new stream of wetness flooded her vulnerable eyes. Her body was still unbelievably weak, but she fought for strength. She didn't care how he was there or what had happened. He was there, that's all that mattered. "Taecyeon!" she cried again as she was just a few feet away. He let go of Khun and turned to face her, his eyes wet, his face thankful. Yoona flung her arms around him desperately, her face buried in his chest. "I thought I lost you!" she cried incoherently. "I thought I lost you..."

His sobs were just as strong. "Never, Yoong..." he mumbled into her hair. "You will never lose me."

It was about 2:30AM. Khun, Tiffany, Yoona and Taecyeon were sitting in the living room drinking coffee, blankets wrapped around them, their body’s cold against the night chill, their hearts warm with reassurance. Taecyeon was explaining what had happened.

 

Taecyeon handed the flight attendant his ticket. "Thank you Mr. Ok. Enjoy your flight!" Just as he was about to enter the ramp leading to the plane, a little girl ran past him.

A few seconds later. "Faith!" called a female voice from inside the boarding ramp. "Faith sweetie, where are you?" The pretty lady with short brown hair nearly knocked Taecyeon over, forcing him to drop his carry on. "Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry!"

Taecyeon smiled. "That's alright. No harm done."

"Did you happen to see which way a little girl with brown wavy hair went?" she asked exasperatedly. She was on the verge of tears.

"No, there were too many people behind me in line, I'm sorry." Taecyeon said sympathetically. The woman erupted in tears.

"Oh I knew this would happen!" she mumbled, walking up the ramp back towards the airport. Taecyeon followed her, concerned. "She absolutely hates flying! And I tried to trick her! I told her the plane wouldn't leave the ground! I told her it was just a really big bus! Was that the stupidest lie or what! God, I'm a terrible parent!" she continued to sob loudly. The other passengers walked by her and Taecyeon, trying to ignore the scene she was making. Taecyeon tried to calm her down. A flight attendant approached them.

"Is everything okay?"

"No!" cried the lady. "My daughter is somewhere in the airport, running away from me because I'm a terrible parent!"

"We'll put security on it, Miss. I just need a brief description and also a name so we can page her over the intercom."

"It's Faith Kim." mumbled the lady. "She just turned four. She has dark, wavy brown hair and hazel eyes..."

"Hey, don't cry. I'm sure you're not a terrible parent..." He hesitated awkwardly before he put his hand on his shoulder. "I have a 3 and a half year old daughter. I have a pretty good idea of what you're going through." She looked at him solemnly.

"I have no idea where she ran off to! When my ex husband finds out, he's going to kill me!" The look in her eyes pleaded for Taecyeon' help. He nodded his head reassuringly.

"Don't worry, Miss Kim. We'll find her..."

 

"We finally found her at the Duty Free Shop. But by that time, the plane had already taken off..." his voice grew grave. "I took a cab to the Ritz Carlton, but there were no more rooms available because of some out of state convention that's supposed to start tomorrow, well actually today. Then the battery on my phone died, so I went into the hotel's sports bar to call you guys. All of your phones were busy. So, I sat down and decided to wait. They had the tv on, that's when I saw the news..." The room fell silent.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't know how happy I am that the little girl ran away from her mom!" exclaimed Tiffany. The rest nodded in agreement, still shaken up.

"Wait..." started Yoona. "Did you say the little girl's name was Faith?"

"Yeah, beautiful name, huh?"

Yoona sat still, confused at the coincidence. "Yeah." nodded Yoona. She remembered the name from her dream. Her dream. It had been a dream. She looked up at the ceiling and mouthed a "Thank You." to God...

The silence was interrupted by the high pitched yawn coming from the bottom of the staircase. Yooyeon stood on the bottom step, holding Kkuma. She saw Taecyeon. "Daddy!" Her fatigue disappeared. She ran to the couch and jumped on his lap.

"Whoa munchkin!" laughed Taecyeon.

"What are you doing out of bed?" asked Yoona.

"I was firsty and you weren't dere..." she said. She gazed happily at her father. "I thought you said you wuz gonna go home?"

"Nope..." said Taecyeon. He gazed lovingly at Yoona before looking back down at Yooyeon. "You are my home..."

When I see you there,

I'm so aware of how lucky I am, baby

Everyone is at the hospital. Tiffany had just given birth. Khun ran out of the delivery room to the gang sitting in the lobby. "I had a son! Did you hear that everybody! I…" Khun pointed to himself to emphasize his point. "Had a son! Awo ooooh oooooh!" Before anybody could respond, he ran back into the delivery room to find Tiffany holding their son.

"What should we name him?" she asked quietly. Khun didn't need to think of one. A name had stayed fresh in his mind for quite awhile.

"How about Stefano?"

"It's perfect."

'Cause I don't deserve, I don't come close,

To understanding the logic of your kind of trust.

It amazes me that someone like you

Would care enough to just believe

"Taec…" began Yoona shakily. "You have given me everything I've always wanted and more than I've ever needed. With your patience, your understanding, and your undying faith, you have taught me the meaning of unconditional love. I will always be grateful to you because of this." She puts her hand to her heart, calming herself to continue. "I stand here today, among friends and family, promising that I not only love you unconditionally, but I will for the rest of my life." Yoona gently slipped the ring onto his finger as she gazed intently into his gleaming eyes.

"Yoona, all my life I've dreamed of this moment. Even before I met you, I knew you were the one." His voice grew beyond sincere. "And even though the cruelties of this world are constantly trying to test my faith, your faith in me is what keeps me going. I've never loved anybody like I've loved you and I promise, with all of my heart and soul, I will never stop loving you. This vow is forever." Taecyeon slipped the ring onto her finger and gently kissed her hand. As Yoona bent her head down to look at her hand, a single tear escaped from her eye.

"By the Power vested in me, I now pronounce you Husband and Wife! You may now kiss the bride!" Taecyeon leaned down to Yoona as she touched his face with her hand. Their lips met simply, but the meaning behind it was profound. Their past, their present and now their future were embedded in that kiss. And it would be, forever. "Yeah baby..." Donghae mumbled coyly.

Your faith in me, it pulls me through,

When there's nothing around to hold onto

When I fall, when I'm weak

All the strength that I need is your faith, baby

Your faith in me...

"But Omma, I'm scared..." Yooyeon gripped her mother's hand tightly. It was her first day of kindergarten.

"Don't worry pumpkin. You'll be fine..."

"But I don't know anybody." Her voice was uneven.

"Honey look at me…" Yoona caught Yooyeon's gaze. "You are the bravest little girl I know. I know you're going to love it if you just give it a chance, okay?"

"Okay." She kissed her mother goodbye and walked towards her classroom. Another little girl caught up to Yooyeon and walked beside her.

"I like your lunchbox. Hello Kitty is the best!"

"Hey! Wow! I like yours too! It's the purple one! I wanted that one, but all they had at the store was pink."

"I like pink. It's my favorite color. But I got the purple one coz that’s the only one left." Yooyeon smiled gratefully at the girl next to her.

"I'm Yooyeon, but everyone calls me Yeonie. You can too if you'd like."

"Hi Yeonie!" The girl grinned. "I'm Faith!"

Even when I fall, I get along,

'Cause our love is real.

It's like salvation to my soul,

'Cause that's how it feels.

"And the Best Actor awars goes to, Lee Donghae!" yelled one of the presentor. Donghae stood up, completely surprised. He had won his very first acting award.

"I knew you could do it, sweetie!" Jessica stood up to kiss him and then pushed him towards the stage. As soon as he was up there, he couldn't contain his excitement and awe.

"Wow. I uh, this completely took me by surprise! Seriously, it was an honor just to be nominated!" He looked down at the award. He laughed. "I can't believe I get to take one of these guys home!" He cleared his throat quickly. "I'd uh, like to thank the company for this great, great honor. And my family, I love you guys! And my best friends, Taecyeon, Yoona, Tiffany and Khun! And my niece Yooyeon and my nephew Stefano! But most of all, I'd like to thank my wife, Jessica, for her never ending support. You always had faith in me, Sica. And I will love you forever because of that!"

It's a sacred thing that I keep close to carry on

And I know that I will be alright

In your healing arms

"Okay, watch your step..." Taecyeon has Yoona blindfolded as he led her through a doorway. "Okay, now stand right here and don't take off the blindfold yet." He went over to the window to open the drapes. The sunshine illuminated the room. Taecyeon looked around to make sure everything looked just right. "Okay. Now!" Yoona undid the blindfold and squinted her eyes against the sunshine. She gasped as she realized she was standing in the middle of a brand new, gorgeous, two story house.

"Wow..." she breathed. "Taec, this place is beyond beautiful it's..."

"Ours!" he finished. She looked at him stunned.

"Can, can we afford this?"

"We just did." Yoona beamed at him. "I, I figured the city is great and all, but I'd really like if Yooyeon grew up somewhere safer. That way, she can ride her bike on the sidewalks and, you know, if we wanted to have more kids, there'd be a lot more room..." his voice trailed off as he planned the next fifty years in his head.

"More kids?" asked Yoona teasingly.

"Well, yeah..." he said innocently. "Wouldn't it be kinda great if Yooyeon had another brother or sister to play with?" Yoona noticed the sparkle in his eye. She was touched.

"Hmmm. Well, we've already bought the house…" she said ily. "We're kinda behind schedule Mr. Ok..." she winked at him playfully before she wrapped her arms around his neck and met his lips with hers in a passionate kiss.

Your faith in me, it pulls me through

When there's nothing around to hold onto

When I fall, when I'm weak

All the strength that I need is your faith, baby

Your faith in me...

"Congratulation on your doctorate, Dr. Ok." The Dean of the College of Natural Sciences shook Taecyeon's hand as he handed him his doctorate certificate. "This is quite an achievement."

"Thank you very much, Dr. Choi." said Taecyeon bashfully. He then sauntered excitedly over to Yoona.

"I did it! I'm officially an expert of Dinosaurs!" he shouted gleefully.

"I'm so proud of you Taec!" she squeezed her arms around his waist.

"Yeah Taecyeon!" agreed Khun. "You're not just a Dinosaur freak anymore. Now you're a Professional Dinosaur freak!"

"Hey!" warned Yoona defensively. "I happen to love this dinosaur freak."

"Really?" asked Taecyeon shyly. "You don't, you don't think it's dorky?"

Yoona giggled. "Of course it's dorky sweetie, but that's why I love you."

You make me feel I can walk on water

I can reach above the stars

And nothing comes against me

Safe within your arms.

"Ten years Mrs. Ok..." Taecyeon cooed lovingly into Yoona's ear.

"Ten years Mr. Ok..." Yoona kissed him lightly.

"Happy Anniversary." He presented a box from behind his back.

"What is it?" she asked curiously.

"Open it and see!" he laughed. She opened the tiny velvet box to reveal a blinding, diamond anniversary band.

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe you bought, I mean wow! I love it!" she squealed. "Now open yours!" Yoona handed him an envelope.

"Season tickets! You are the best wife ever!"

"I know..." she smiled.

Your faith in me, it pulls me through

When there's nothing around to hold onto

When I fall, when I'm weak

All the strength that I need is your faith, baby

Your faith in me...

"Omma, how do you know you're in love?" Yoona was startled by Yooyeon's question. Taecyeon raised his eyebrows and peeked over the book he was reading.

"I, uh…" Yoona started nervously. "I don't exactly understand what you're asking sweetie. Explain it to me."

"Well, there's this boy at school and I think I like him, well Faith says I like him coz I always get all quiet and shy when he's around. But I can't help it. And then my knees get all weak and then my insides flutter like crazy!"

"Well, do you think he likes you?"

"That's what Faith says. She says she always catches him looking at me and that he told Onew who told Krystal who told Jaebeom who told Faith that he thinks I'm kinda cool for a girl..." Yooyeon's face turned to mush.

"Hmm..." said Yoona, trying hard not to smile. If she laughed, she knew Yooyeon would be incredibly hurt. "I don't know exactly what to tell you, Yeonie. The best advice I can give you is to just let things flow. If he likes you, you'll know it." Yooyeon smiled gratefully at her mother.

"Thanks mom." she walked out of the bedroom.

"She's in love!" whispered Taecyeon incredulously. "She's only fifteen! What could she possibly know about love?" Yoona stared at him suspiciously.

"Excuse me! You fell in love with me when you were fifteen!"

"Yeah, well..." Taecyeon tried to reason. "That's different."

"How?" asked Yoona.

"Coz..." Taecyeon looked down at his hands. "Coz she's my little girl..."

"Aww..." giggled Yoona as she took Taecyeon in her arms. "You poor, old, father, you..." she teased.

When I fall,

When I'm weak,

All I need, baby

Is your faith in me...

The night sky was painted with stars. Yoona and Taecyeon were lying on a blanket in their backyard, holding each other. Blackness surrounded them, except for the faint glow of the moonlight and the twinkling from heaven. Yoona delicately nuzzled her head into Taecyeon's neck, amazed, grateful and moved by the realization they had lasted as long as they had. She kissed his shoulder affectionately.

"How did we get this far?" Yoona whispered into Taecyeon's chest. He smiled and his arms wrapped securely around her, her back tenderly.

"Love, compassion and whole lot of faith."

Your faith in me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~The End~~~~~~~