Chapter 08

By Faith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A sharp current jolted the plane's aerodynamic sensitivity. Taecyeon's knuckles turned white as he tensely gripped the armrest. He had no reason to be nervous. After all, he had been riding planes pretty frequently. This flight was no different. He exhaled slowly and looked out the window. It was a gorgeous night, completely the opposite of the night before. The stars shone brightly against the tall, cascading hills. Yes, this flight was no different than the others.

Except that it was.

"Honey, turn around so mommy can put your seat belt back on. You're not supposed to take it off yet." said a lady from the row in front of Taecyeon. A little girl, possibly around Yooyeon's age, had her knees on the seat of the chair. She was facing Taecyeon, looking curiously at the unexplainable expression on his face. Taecyeon turned his head from the window, finally noticing the child. He smiled warmly at her.

"Don't be scared Mister." she sweetly whispered. "I was scared too, but my mommy said that angels are carrying the airplane, and the reason why it's bumpy is coz their wings get caught in the clouds..." Taecyeon was taken aback by the innocence and eloquence of the little girl. An aching emotion kicked his heart as he felt a longing to be with his daughter.

"Thank you. I'm not scared anymore." He smiled to reassure her.

"Faith, leave the nice gentleman alone and turn around, please." said her mother pleasantly.

"Your name is Faith?" asked Taecyeon, touched.

"Yuh huh. Faith Kim. My daddy named me..." her voice grew quiet. "He's not here anymore, though. He's in heaven, with my Grammy and Poppy."

"I'm sorry sweetie." said Taecyeon sympathetically. The flight became smooth once again and the seatbelt sign turned off. "So Faith, how old are you?"

"I'm four. I just turned four last month!" she said excitedly.

"Wow. Hey, you know, I have a daughter who's almost your age. She turns four next month."

"Really? Where is she?"

"She's in Busan with her Mommy. They're on vacation."

"Oh, does she like Hello Kitty?"

"She loves them. She has the backpack."

"Me too!" Faith squealed. "I even have the lunch…" Her words were cut short by a quick, jerky motion that made her topple over into her mother's lap. A distinctive ding sounded as the lights of the seat belt sign flashed. A static covered voice sounded over the intercom.

"We apologize for the discomfort of the flight. As your captain, I assure you that everything is under control. Unfortunately, we are experiencing unexpected turbulence because of harsh wind currents. For the meantime, the seatbelt sign will remain on, and for your own safety we advise no one to leave their seats unless necessary for lavatory purposes. Thank you."

Taecyeon quickly adjusted his seatbelt over his lap. Faith was now secured in one as well, next to her mother. He closed his eyes, breathing deeply to calm himself down. Thoughts of Yooyeon invaded his head, which triggered thoughts of Yoona. He didn't want to leave them, but he felt he needed to. He had overwhelmed Yoona. And even though she told Taecyeon she didn't want to be with him, he had faith that deep down, she did. She needed him as much as he needed her. But it was going to take time for her to realize that, and he was going to give her all the time in the world. He loved her. He loved his daughter. They were worth the wait.

But little did he know, Taecyeon's wait ended that night, with Yoona's telephone call.

"Taec, I know you're not going to get this for a few more hours, but I just wanted you to know that, well, I understand..." her voice shook. "I finally understand how you felt. I know this doesn't make sense, and I can't fully explain myself on your machine, so call me, okay? When you get this message, call me. Yooyeon and I, we love you very much Taecyeon." Yoona murmured melodically. "You're more than enough." Yes, his wait ended. But, with much more than just a telephone call.

Taecyeon's eyes opened wide in panic. His sleep was painfully disturbed by a loud roar, the screeching sounds of ripping metal and frantic screams. The body of the plane hastily filled with smoke and the putrid smell of gasoline. Oxygen masks dropped from compartments above the passenger's heads, and the lethal graze of uncontrollable flames injured the right wing of the airplane, the wing outside Taecyeon' window. He felt his breath catch short, his eyes smoldered from the smoke. He grabbed for the oxygen mask above his head and closed his eyes tightly, drowning out the sounds of torment and distress by filling his head with loud prayers. All he could think of was Yooyeon and Yoona. Yooyeon and Yoona. Yooyeon. Yoona. Yoona. Yoona.

Then everything went dark.

 

"Quick Sunmi, can you get me another towel?" cried Tiffany to a maid. Yoona was sprawled on Tiffany's bed, her face flushed and her body limp. Her eyes fluttered. "Yoona! Yoona!" Tiffany said sternly. "Can you hear me?" Yoona lazily opened her eyes to see Tiffany's concerned face above her. She felt incredibly hot all over, and very dizzy. was dry. She felt her lips twitch.

"Fany..." she whispered, strained.

"Khun!" cried Tiffany. "She's awake!" She focused her attention back to Yoona.

"I'm here." Khun raced back into the room, a telephone on each ear. Another maid followed behind him, with two more telephones. They were all connected to the Busan International Airport personnel but were put on hold. The crash had sent their phone lines in frenzy. Khun figured the more phones they had connected to the airport, the faster they spoke to someone.

"How are you feeling?" asked Tiffany. Yoona studied her best friend's tired face. Her eyes were incredibly swollen, and her voice sounded raspy. Then she remembered.

Taecyeon.

"Oh my God!" Panicked, she stretched her arms out to lift herself up. The blood that rushed to her head hurt terribly but she didn't care. "Tiffany!" It all came back to her. The plane. The crash. She had seen him die. She felt him die. She covered to prevent a scream. "I saw the plane explode!" she grabbed Tiffany's arm. She put her hands frantically to her face. "I saw Taecyeon die." Her despair echoed into the room.

"Yoona..." Tiffany bit her lip. "Calm down, sweetie."

"But Tiffany I did! He was there! By the window and I saw..." she couldn't explain herself anymore. The tears were endless. And so was her pain.

"Sweetie, there was no way you could've seen that, maybe it was a dream or something..."

"No!" Yoona yelled defiantly. "It was so real!" She bitterly shook her head and fought to continue. "I know it sounds crazy, but I could feel it..." she choked on her sobs. "I felt it Fany..." The emotional tension was too much for Khun. He left the room and walked down the hall by the staircase. He needed to stay calm in order to retrieve information from the airlines. Taecyeon had to be alive. He didn't get on that plane. He didn't make up with the people he loved just to be taken away the next day. Khun was going to prove this.

"Thank you for holding. This call may be monitored for our records. This is Junho with Air Busan. How may I be of service?" Khun motioned for the maid to hang up the other phones.

"Yes, thank you for speaking with me. My name is Khun Horvejkul. I need to know if a specific passenger was on Flight 738. His name is Ok Taecyeon."

"I'm sorry, sir. That information is classified." said the representative, very simply.

"Excuse me? Do you know which flight I'm referring to?" asked Khun, his temper boiling over. the calmness, he figured. "It’s the plane that just crashed! My brother-in-law was supposed to be on that flight! His sister and his daughter need to know!"

"I'm sorry, sir. Let me transfer you."

"No! I'm tired of being transferred! Don't you people know how to do your job? Just tell me if he was on the plane or not!"

"Hello Mr. Horvejkul, I'm Seohyun, an Air Busan supervisor. If you give me just a quick moment, I'll be able to verify whether or not Mr. Ok was on the flight."

"Umm, thanks." he said, his voice still quavering from anger. After a few moments, Seohyun came back.

Khun held his breath.

"I'm sorry Mr. Horvejkul…" said Seohyun dejectedly. "Our records verify that a Mr. Ok Taecyeon was indeed on the flight. His ticket was collected as he boarded the plane..." The tiny ounce of faith Khun had left diminished at that instant. "May I have a telephone number, so we can keep in contact? I will be sure to call you first thing in the morning. Air Busan would personally like to offer you and your family any services available…"

Khun didn't listen to the rest of the conversation. He hung up the phone, refusing to believe. He glanced at his watch. It was nearly midnight. Taecyeon was alive less than 3 hours ago. He was alive. And now, God knows why, he's not. The last of his strength left his body. He knew he needed to stay strong for Tiffany and Yoona, but it was too hard. What do you do when your best friend dies? How were they going to tell Yooyeon? Why this on Jessica and Donghae's wedding day? It didn't seem fair. He leaned his back against the wall and let free his livid agony.

A tall figure stood a few feet away, at the top of the staircase, watching Khun as he cried in his hands. The figure crept closer, careful not to startle him.

Khun noticed a shadow. He took his hands away from his face and looked up. It was the butler. "Mr. Horvejkul…" he began solemnly. Khun interrupted him.

"Have you gotten a hold of Jessica and Donghae yet?"

"No, not yet Sir. I left a message at their hotel."

"Alright. Thank you." Changmin nodded and walked down the hallway. Khun slumped down to the floor, staring aimlessly at the wall in front of him.

A few moments later, the shadow returned. Still staring at the ceiling, he said. "I'm sorry Changmin, but I'd like to be left alone."

"Changmin's downstairs with Sunmi." whispered an unsteady voice. A series of chills drowned Khun's body at the sound of those words. He knew that voice. But he was afraid to turn his head. He didn't need to. The man walked over and stood right in front of him.