Chapter 03

By Faith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Unnie, the church is utterly beautiful. I can't wait until tomorrow!" said Yoona as she, Tiffany and Jessica walked out of the church. Yooyeon was skipping along next to the girls while holding Jessica's hand. She loved the 'Nangmyeon' song, and when she found out her Auntie sang it, she was ecstatic. The women sat down on the bench while Yooyeon continued to skip around.

"I know! I'm getting married tomorrow! Woohoo! To Lee Donghae! Double Woohoo!" The girls laughed.

"Gosh! Remember how we all found out about each other!" giggled Yoona. They began to reminisce...

 

Almost 8 years earlier…

Jessica, Tiffany and Yoona were all rooming together in a three bedroom dorm at Seoul as freshman. Taecyeon, Khun and Donghae were also roommates, but they were sophomores. Yoona was getting ready for a date and Jessica was watching tv. Tiffany was at the library.

"Unnie! Have you seen my plaid skirt?" called Yoona from her bedroom.

"Uh, nuh uh." lied Jessica. Yoona walked out of her room.

"Unnie! You're wearing it!"

"Oh! You mean this plaid skirt?" she said sheepishly.

Yoona sighed. "It's okay. I'll just wear the black one."

"So, you have another date tonight with Donghae huh?"

Confused Yoona asked. "Donghae? Oh yeah." she smiled dreamily. "Donghae. You have any hot plans tonight?"

"Nope." she lied again. She was secretly meeting Donghae for ice cream later that evening, but she wasn't ready to let the girls know yet. She was afraid they'd just jinx their relationship. Besides, sneaking around was a lot more exciting to Jessica.

Yoona didn't want to tell Jessica that she was actually going out with Taecyeon. Besides the fact that he was Tiffany's brother, the girls kind of thought he was a geek because of the whole ‘dinosaur’ thing. Yoona didn't agree. She always had a secret crush on him.

Just after 2:30AM, Yoona and Taecyeon crept quietly into the girls' dorm. Upon entering Yoona's bedroom, Taecyeon noisily tripped over an object. Yoona the lights to see if Taecyeon had hurt himself. He had a slight bruise forming at the top of his head. He looked down to see what caused his fall. It was a male athletic sneaker. The bottom sole had the initials LD, it was Donghae's shoe.

"Oooh! I'm gonna kick Donghae's !" cried Taecyeon.

"Says who?" yelled an almost Donghae storming out of Jessica's room. Wearing only boxers, he shamelessly covered himself knowing he had been caught

"Oppa!" exclaimed Yoona. Jessica then came running out in a bathrobe.

"Unnie!" Yoona covered with her hands from shock. She knew what they had been doing. Taecyeon stood frozen. "Care to explain you two?"

"Well uh see uh, I came over to protect Jessica from the thieves."

"Wait, what thieves?" asked Taecyeon.

"You know, the dorm robbers." Donghae stuttered.

"There haven't been any dorm robberies! I should know! I'm the RA of this dorm!"

"Hey! There could be robbers!"

"And if we were robbers what were you going to do, attack us with your underwear?" asked Yoona incredulously.

Jessica tried not to look guilty. Then she realized. "Wait, what are you and Taecyeon doing back here this late?"

Taecyeon stuttered trying to explain. "We uh..." Trying to think of an excuse. "Uh you see, what had happened was..." He fought for words.

Just then, Tiffany and Khun entered the dorm completely lip locked. Obviously they assumed everyone would be asleep or in their rooms.

"Oh my God!" screamed Yoona and Jessica simultaneously.

"Get off my sister!" cried Taecyeon. Khun nearly jumped out of his skin from fright. They all stared at each other for minutes.

Then Yoona jumped up gleefully. "Aww, I'm so happy for you guys!" sang Yoona as she went to give Tiffany and Jessica a hug. They embraced goofily for a long time.

The guys continued to look at each other awkwardly. Khun tried to break the ice by playfully holding his arms out motioning for the guys to hug him. Donghae and Taecyeon walked out of the dorm.

 

Present…

"Oh, remember when you and Donghae announced you were moving to Busan?" asked Tiffany sadly. "I cried so hard that day!"

 

5 years, 9 months earlier…

It was about a month before Taecyeon, Donghae and Khun's graduation, when Donghae got his big break.

He ran into the girls' dorm jumping up and down. "I'm going to star in a movie!"

"Really! Oh yay!" cried Jessica, jumping up and down with him.

"Yeah! I leave at the end of the month baby!"

"Aww Hae, I always had faith that you'd make it big someday." Jessica said sincerely.

Suddenly, a serious thought entered Donghae's head. "Come with me, Sica."

"What?" she asked surprised. She stood silent for a moment and studied the grin on his face. "Do you mean it?"

"Of course I mean it!" he exclaimed. He wanted her to come more than anything.

"Well, I mean, I'd have to think about it." she started. Donghae nodded his head, trying not to look crushed. Jessica looked up for a second pretending to think. "Okay I thought about it! Let's go!"

"Oh yeah!" They both began hopping around the dorm.

Just then, Yoona, Tiffany, Khun and Taecyeon all entered the room.

"We're goin' to Busan baby!" cried Jessica.

 

Present…

They wiped their eyes from the tears that formed after laughing so hard. "Man, I hope Donghae and Khun are having as much fun as we are! Aren't they at Donghae's set?" giggled Tiffany.

Donghae and Khun were on the set of Donghae's new movie. The stage crew was working around the clock trying to get it ready for the new filming the following week.

"Man Hae! This is so cool!"

"Yep, tell me about it!"

Just then, the director walked up to Donghae and said hi. Khun gawked at him, completely amazed.

"Oh my God! Do you know who you are!" Khun was beside himself.

Donghae laughed awkwardly. "Sorry about that, he uh, he didn't take his medication this morning." The famous director laughed politely and shook Khun's hand.

"Lookin' forward to seeig you next week Donghae. It's gonna be a great shoot."

"Sure thing." And with that, the director walked away.

"Jurassic Park rules!" cried Khun. The director turned around to glance at him and smiled. Donghae looked at Khun and laughed. His laughter faded with a sad memory. He slightly frowned.

"Hey, remember how we used to tease Taecyeon about dinosaurs and stuff, he was so into that."

"Yeah." replied Khun obviously uncomfortable. "Well, sometimes people change Hae..."

"I know, I just..." Donghae paused. "I just never thought that he would..."

"Me neither Hae, me neither."

 

Cuts back to 5 years, 8 months earlier…

"Hey man, chill out. This will be cleared. Your dad is innocent!" reassured Donghae on the phone. Donghae had just found out and called him. Taecyeon had been stressed ever since he found out his dad was arrested two days ago.

"Donghae I know that, you know that but the damn they won't know that!"

"Taecyeon man, seriously, you're doing the best you can, you just, you need to have faith man."

Taecyeon sighed. "I know. I know."

"So tell me about the new evidence that came up."

"Okay, so basically, the weekend my dad went to that seminar in Incheon, my mom went to go stay with her sister. Basically no one was home."

"Yeah, go on."

"And my dad was gonna drive the Porsche up, but he decided against it cuz the snow was getting heavy. My mom didn't know this. She thought he took the car with him, so now my dad doesn't have a liable alibi."

"What do you mean?"

"On Monday morning the police got an anonymous tip from a pay phone a couple miles away from my parents' house. The caller said that on Sunday, he saw a Porsche, with my dad's license plate. He said he saw my dad get out, grab the little girl and drive away. And apparently there are no other witnesses."

"What?! That's impossible! Your dad was at Incheon for that seminar thing!"

Taecyeon's frustrations were starting to show again as he agreed with his friend. "I know Hae! That's what pisses me off! Except my dad only signed in for the seminar on the Saturday he got there! The body was discovered on Monday morning in an empty field about a half hour from my parents' place, and the autopsy said she had been killed seventeen hours prior to her discovery! The police assume my dad had time to drive back home and 'murder' this little girl without anyone knowing!" Taecyeon vented into the phone.

Donghae's voice softened. "Hey man, you don't have to tell me anymore, okay? I don't want you to get worked up about it again."

Taecyeon tried to calm down. "No, it's okay Hae, I need to tell you the whole story so you and Sica can testify." Taecyeon took a deep breath. "The worst part is that they found a knife and one of my Dad's old argyle sweaters. Both items were completely bloodstained, tied up in a plastic bag and thrown into the trunk of the Porsche. My dad swears he thought he lost that sweater! Even my mom didn't remember seeing it around for almost a year."

"Damn, there are some sick people in this world, Taec. I just, I just, I can't tell you how sorry I am and we all know your dad, we know he's not capable of anything like this! I mean ual abuse! Murder! Come on now!"

"I'm glad you're there for me, man."

"You know it."

"I'll give you a call in a few days."

"Sure, hey, Taec, take care of yourself and Yoong okay? And your mom and Tiffany too."

"Done..."

 

Present…

"Dude, quit bumming me out." mumbled Khun.

"I can't help it. Geez, we haven't talked about him for so long. I miss Taecyeon man."

"Yeah, I know Hae. Me too." Khun was having a hard time talking about him.

"Sometimes, yah know, I wonder if like if things would've been different if that guy confessed before his dad was, you know..." Donghae swallowed hard.

"I dunno Hae, I mean, by then, Taecyeon had already changed a lot..." Khun and Donghae stop walking around. "Geez, is it just me or do you feel like a drink?"

"Yeah I need one too. Let's go."

 

4 years, 11 months earlier…

Taec's dad’s funeral had just ended. The gang was gathered in the living room, along with a few other ‘faithful’ family members. A lot of relatives on his mother’s side cut ties with them as soon as they heard he had been convicted. It was a disgrace to have a criminal in their family, let alone a murderer and a child molester. Tiffany was quietly crying on Khun's lap as he embraced her. His mother was being comforted by Yoona and Jessica on a nearby sofa. Taecyeon was continuously pacing back and forth while Donghae watched, very concerned for his friend.

"Taec, calm down." Taecyeon didn't say anything. "I, I know you're still upset, but it's over, man, you did the best you could."

"Back off Hae! You have no idea how I'm feeling right now!" answered Taecyeon angrily.

Donghae wasn't afraid. He knew Taecyeon wouldn't yell at him unless he was hurting really badly. He just wanted Taecyeon to not be so hard on himself. "Taecyeon, please, you need to be strong, if not for yourself, for Tiffany and your mother..." Taecyeon stopped and glared hard at Donghae. Then he hastily turned around and walked out the door, slamming it as he left. Donghae sighed.

Outside, Taecyeon had his fists clenched. He needed to hit something. Hell no, he wanted to kill something. Or somebody. His dad was innocent. He knew this. Someone had framed him. And because he never found out whom it was in time, his dad paid the real killer's debt. Not only did the jury convict him, he was killed in jail. His inmates didn't like the reason why he was in there. A lot of them had children of their own, and knowing his father murdered a little girl, didn't faze them too well. So, sadly enough, about a week after he had been in prison, they ganged up on him one day before lunch and beat him until he died. He was killed in jail and he was killed wrongly. And Taecyeon never forgave himself for not finding out who framed him.

Just then his thoughts were interrupted by the subtle sound of a phone ringing from inside. He went in to answer it and found Donghae already at the receiver.

"Umm, Mrs. Ok and Tiffany are busy at the moment and Taecyeon, oh, never mind he just came in." Donghae handed Taecyeon the phone.

"Yeah, this is Taecyeon. Morning Inspector Shin." he said wearily. After a few moments, his eyes widened. "What the ! He, he did? Are, are you positive?" His screams grabbed everyone's attention. "Another key? Knew about the seminar? He had the sweater! That son of a !"

They all looked up at him as to ask. 'What's going on?'

Taecyeon couldn't believe what he was hearing. "So you mean to tell me, he stole my dad's car because he knew where the spare key was hid!" Tiffany got up and walked over to him.

Taecyeon turned away from his friends and family to face the wall. "How the hell were there no fingerprints!" There was a slight pause. "That's why the er wouldn't testify!" Hot streams of water flooded his eyes and began to rapidly run down his cheeks.

"So, so what finally made the confess?" Taecyeon was in complete anguish. "Well can I come down?" He wanted to kill the guy. He wanted him dead.

"I see, no no, I understand." Another slight pause. "I, I don't think it would've done me much good anyway. Umm, well thanks for calling, yeah I'll come by tomorrow for the paperwork." He hung up the phone. Still crying, he turned back to face his friends who are all now crying much harder too. Even though they didn't hear the other side of the conversation, they knew what had happened. Yoona slowly stood up to ask.

"Taecyeon, who did it?"

The room began to spin. His heart was twisted with grief and he couldn't speak. After months and months of anticipation, his prayers were finally answered but they were answered too late. His dad was dead.

Inspector Shin just told him that after finding out Taecyeon's dad died, the real perpetrator went insane with guilt. His daughter called the office and confessed. Taecyeon was going to vomit. He came back to reality and hoarsely voiced.

"Dr.  Ji Sangryul..." and ran for the bathroom.

 

Present…

"Hey Donghae, aren't we supposed to meet the girls to go eat?" asked Khun.

"Oh yeah, oh crap! I forgot to make the reservations!" Donghae and Khun fumbled with their cell phones.

Back at the church, the girls were lost in conversation before Tiffany realized how late it was getting. "What time are the guys meeting us for lunch?" asked Tiffany.

"Oh umm, I think around 1PM. Donghae made us reservations at Chef Ming."

"Oh okay, so we're only going to be thirty minutes late." she teased. "So back to the good stuff, how does it feel to have a platinum album?" asked Yoona excitedly.

"Oh it's the best! Hey hey! Did I tell you guys they're coming out with a doll of me! Yeah! Oh and I start my tour after the honeymoon, which is actually perfect timing because he starts filming." Jessica explained.

"Aww Unnie." answered Yoona. "You two have really got it made." Yooyeon started to sing the ‘Nangmyeon’ song while still skipping. The girls sweetly giggled at the sight of Yoona's daughter.

Suddenly, Yooyeon's incessant song and dance was halted. She saw a familiar man standing beneath a tree a few yards away. She squinted her eyes to see if she was imagining him. She wasn't. She smiled animatedly and tugged at her mother's sleeve from the opposite direction Yoona was facing.

"Omma..." started Yooyeon. "It's Daddy."