Chapter 06

By Faith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for your wedding..." said Taecyeon. Tiffany and Taecyeon were still talking in the lounge.

"Yeah well, it wasn't that big of a deal anyway. It was a small ceremony, not that many people were invited."

He stared at her suspiciously, "You were married in Vegas weren't you?"

"How'd you know?!"

"We do have the same bitter mother who wasn't invited or informed..."

"Serves her right, believing that I wouldn't ever marry or have kids. I proved her wrong!"

Taecyeon started to laugh. "Yeah, you did." His voice shifted. "Fany I want you to get married again..."

"What?" she asked in disbelief.

"No, I mean, I think you and Khun should have a real ceremony, after your baby's born, you could renew your vows, you can invite everyone you love this time and I could give you away, that is if you want."

Tiffany's eyes watered as she heard her brother's words. "I hate that we lost over three years Oppa, I missed you so much..."

"I realized I hated myself too. I've been thinking a lot, you know, especially on the plane ride here. It's amazing what kind of thoughts enter your head when you actually have time to think about something else besides defending an alleged criminal..."

"Yeah, well, I wouldn't really know."

Taecyeon looked straight at Tiffany before he continued. "I'm quitting my job."

"What?!" became very dry.

"Fany, I wasn't meant to be a lawyer. It, it doesn't make me happy. I just, got so caught up in it that, I don't know."

Still shocked, Tiffany replied. "So what are you going to do?"

"I think I want to go back to school, and get my PhD."

"In Paleontology!" she asked incredulously.

"Yeah." he began. "Why? Is that weird or something?"

"Okay, you need to understand that before today I hated your guts. And now it's like you've finally seen the light or something and you've gone back into time to become my geeky older brother who's infatuated with dinosaurs!"

Taecyeon laughed lightly.

He paused before he began. "There are a lot of things I wish I could go back and change Tiff, but I can't. I can only make right what is happening now. My life ! I'm barely thirty and my life ! I want to do something I love and be with the people I love. I don't want to hurt you guys anymore than I have. I need to be a good father. Yoona was right, dad wouldn't be proud."

"Yeah, but like me I'm sure he understands why you did it. I mean, it doesn't excuse any of it." Tiffany said with a stern face. "But I understand." She thought about what Taecyeon was telling Father Jae Suk. "You still love her, don't you?"

Right away, Taecyeon understood she was referring to Yoona. He didn't want to talk about it, but knew he needed to. After all, it was Tiffany. He knew it would be okay.

"I was in love with her from the first moment you introduced us, and it took me so long just to tell her that. And then, everything was perfect." He shook his head frustratingly. "I guess after dad died, I was just so messed up in the head, you know? I didn't know who to trust! I couldn't believe what Dr. Ji did to dad and I pretended I didn't care about her anymore. I was so afraid that maybe someday, she'd betray me but instead, it was actually me who betrayed her..." Taecyeon sighed deeply. "That was the biggest mistake I ever made, Fany. She was nothing but faithful and completely understanding, and I..." It pained him to say these words. Tiffany gently laid her hand on his, urging him to continue. "I lied through my teeth when I told her we were a mistake. God, Tiffany! Why was I so stupid! I lost the best thing that ever happened to me, including my daughter." Tiffany kept caressing his hand.

"So you do still love her?" she said softly.

Taecyeon took a long while to answer. "I haven't been in love with anybody else since then, but maybe it's because I just don't want to go through all that again."

"Or maybe it's because you never stopped loving her."

Around 5PM that night, Tiffany finally went back to Donghae and Jessica's while Taecyeon stayed at his hotel.

As soon as he saw her, Khun ran up quickly to give her a hug and a kiss. "Tell me what happened." he whispered in her ear.

"Actually, I'm going to tell everyone what happened. And then we're meeting him for a late dinner." He broke the hug and looked at her bewildered.

"Okay, no offense but who the hell are you and what did you do to my bitter, stubborn, cynical wife?"

Tiffany kissed him softly before responding. "She's gone. She was never supposed to marry you." she replied sweetly. "I was." Khun smiled, still puzzled, but decided to trust her. "Go get everyone. I'm gonna get some iced tea." She said simply.

After about fifteen minutes, everyone was seated in the living room, their gazes fixed on Tiffany, anxiously awaiting what the fuss was about. Yooyeon was watching "The Little Mermaid" in the next room.

"I spent the afternoon with Taecyeon." Tiffany braced herself for the gang's reaction.

Nobody, besides Khun of course, was expecting that.

"Did you, I mean is he dead!" asked Jessica afraid.

"No Jessica! I spent a good afternoon with Taecyeon."

"Huh?" asked Donghae. He threw up his hands to emphasize his confusion.

"That's what I said." agreed Khun.

"You knew about this?" asked Yoona. Khun nodded his head.

"But she wouldn't tell me anything else!" he said defensively.

"Maybe I should just tell you guys what happened." said Tiffany.

"Duh!" Jessica said exasperatedly.

"Okay, well when I took that walk, I overheard him talking to Father Jae Suk." she began. "Basically I got scared, and umm, curious. I didn't want him to see me, but I wanted to know what was going on. So I hid and kinda eavesdropped. I must've been listening for over an hour…" They hung on every word, not wanting to miss a single detail. "I heard so much you guys, you were right Jessica, something drastic did make him fly over here. It was a revelation..."

"I don't understand." said Jessica.

"Yoona, when you guys talked, did he yell at you for anything stupid?" asked Tiffany.

She narrowed her eyes trying to remember. "No. Actually I was the one doing most of the yelling. He even, he even apologized for yelling at me last night and Taecyeon never apologizes. I mean, since we broke up he never apologized."

"I never thought I'd say this again." started Tiffany. "But after hearing what he said today, and spending some time with him, I trust him. And I believe his intentions are good. I'm giving him a second chance."

"You thought you'd never say that? We thought you'd never say that!" cried Donghae.

"What exactly did he say?" Jessica questioned.

"I can't really explain it to you. It would mean a lot more coming from him. That's why he wants to have a late dinner tonight back at his hotel at 8PM." Jessica and Donghae exchanged uneven glances as Khun nodded his head understandingly. Yoona's face was unresponsive.

"I'm not going." She said simply.

"What? Yoona, you need to go! Especially you!”

"Why?!" she asked accusingly. "He hasn't proved anything to me! I'm not saying it's not okay for you guys to go, after all, he was your best friend and he's Tiffany's family. But it's not okay for me. It is just too much. If he wants my friendship, it's going to take a lot more than a conversation and a few sincere glances."

"Yoona..." begged Tiffany. "Please. He really, really wants to talk to you."

She shook her head stubbornly before looking back at Tiffany. She held her breath, "It's my turn to not care." Yoona got up and went upstairs. The room fell silent.

"Well, do you guys still want to go?"

"I think we should." said Jessica supportively. "I mean, if what you're saying is true, then it would be the perfect wedding present." Donghae smiled at her before turning to Tiffany. He nodded his head agreeing.

Hours later, Taecyeon sat at the dinner table, nervously fidgeting with his water glass, afraid of what was going to happen. The others hadn't arrived yet. It was only 7:50, but he decided to be early just in case. Luckily, the restaurant was pretty empty. After Tiffany left, he kept thinking about what he was going to tell them, especially Yoona, but he knew that it had to come from the heart. Feelings aren't supposed to be scripted. Suddenly, he overheard the Host behind him.

"Right this way Mrs. Horvejkul." Taecyeon quickly stood up and turned around to see Tiffany, Jessica, Donghae and Khun coming towards him. No Yoona. No Yooyeon. He had a feeling she wouldn't come, but he was still very disappointed. As they approached him, he felt his heart race hysterically. Tiffany smiled warmly at him and touched his arm as she sat beside him. Taecyeon sensed that Jessica, Donghae and Khun felt incredibly uncomfortable. They gave him subtle smiles before they sat down.

"Your server will be right with you." said the host.

"Actually, can you tell him I'll call him when we're ready?"

"Of course, Sir."

"Thank you." said Taecyeon. He waited for the host to leave before he continued. He cleared his throat before he began.

"Thanks for hearing me out guys. I umm, I know Tiffany probably told you why I asked you to meet me here but I…" he found his voice trembling and looked down at his water glass. "I know there's nothing I can really say to justify how much of a jerk I've been for the past few many years." He looked up to see Tiffany nodding her head encouragingly. "I can't take back how awful I was to you. But I want to so badly. I lost someone I loved very much, and instead of embracing those who were still here, I turned my back..." Taecyeon bit his lip to fight from crying. "I'm not expecting you guys to just turn around and forgive me, I just..." The tears were inevitable. "God, I can't do this."

"Yes you can..." whispered Jessica. Taecyeon smiled at her gratefully with glistening eyes.

"I just need you guys to know how sorry I am..." he managed to say. "And to know after all this time I still consider you my family and that I love you very, very much..." Jessica began to cry as well. "Please give me another chance..." Khun felt his heart soften. "It was my fault I missed the birth of my child and my fault I missed my sister's wedding and my fault I wasn't invited to Jessica and Donghae's wedding." Donghae cleared his throat subtly, trying to stay conformed. "I don't want to have anymore regrets because of my stupid, ignorant pride..." Everyone continued to listen. "Last night, after getting off the phone with Yoona, I realized I wasn't angry at her for bringing Yooyeon here, I was angry at myself for not being responsible enough to know where the hell my daughter was and I got scared and incredibly jealous."

"Jealous? Why?" asked Donghae.

"You two are getting married!" He cried out. "I mean, that is a huge deal! And I was missing it, again." He exhaled heavily. Tiffany leaned over to him and put her arm around his shoulder, gently rubbing his back. "The point is, I'm nothing without you guys...you are the most important people in my life, including Yoona and Yooyeon, and no matter how long it takes, I'm going to prove this to you." The table fell nervously silent.

"That was a good start." whispered Jessica, wiping her face.

"I agree." nodded Donghae.

"Now I know why Tiffany forgave you so easily." said Khun.

"Okay good, now everything's hunky dory right?" asked Tiffany unexpectedly, breaking the tension. Everyone exchanged warm smiles and nodded. "Good coz I'm hungry. Waiter!" she called. "I'll have one of everything!"

About an hour later, Tiffany was polishing off the last few bites of a strawberry cheesecake, Taecyeon and Donghae were talking about Donghae's new movie, Khun excused himself for the restroom, and Jessica sat back and just watched. She considered how this was so weird, yet so right. Things were the way they should be. Even though Taecyeon had only apologized an hour ago, she understood what Tiffany meant by how there was something different about him. He was finally back.

"Taecyeon." interrupted Jessica.

"Yeah?"

"Come to my wedding tomorrow."

He looked at her and Donghae unsurely. Donghae nodded his head supportively. "Wow, umm, thank you guys so much for caring enough to invite me." he started. "But I really don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?" asked Tiffany. Bits of cheesecake escaped .

"Because things are so good right now. I don't want to mess anything up by jumping right into it..."

"But Taecyeon, Donghae and I are only getting married once and it's tomorrow. I trust you're not going to do something stupid..."

"But I…"

Jessica cut him off. "It would mean so much to us. Even though we were angry at you, we still loved you, this could be your present to us..."

Donghae continued. "Please. If you meant what you said, you'd come."

Taecyeon knew he couldn't argue. He really wanted to go, but he was still afraid. "Okay." he said smiling. "You're right. It would mean a lot to me too."

"Hey, should we bring something home for Yoona and Yeonie?" asked Khun as he returned to the table. Tiffany looked quickly at Taecyeon.

"Speaking of Yoona." Taecyeon said carefully. "Why, umm, why didn't she come?" Tiffany gave him a sympathetic smile.

"Sweetie, we, we tried."

He nodded his head sadly. "I understand." The table became silent with awkwardness again. "Hey, you guys should probably get going! I mean, there's a big day tomorrow!" He tried to sound enthusiastic.

A few minutes later, Taecyeon was walking them to the car. As they stepped outside, they realized it had started to rain heavily.

"Oh no! Oh geez I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow!" cried Jessica worriedly.

"Don't worry honey, I think it's just a little spring shower." said Tiffany.

"Little?"

"Well, the weather guy said it was supposed to be clear skies throughout the whole weekend." said Donghae.

"Oh what do they know? They also thought the earth was flat!" Jessica was getting slightly annoyed. She sulkily got into the car.

"Are you going to be okay, tonight?" asked Tiffany before she got in.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Get in, you'll get sick."

"Yes sir." she teased before she kissed his cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Hey Taec, it's just good to have you back man." said Khun as he shook his hand.

"Yeah, earlier today, before we found out you were here, we were talking about how much we missed you!" said Donghae. He broke into a wide smile. "Aww, man come here!" He gave into his pride and grabbed Taecyeon in a bear hug. Taecyeon returned the hug gratefully. A smile crept across Khun's face and he too joined them in the hug. The guys started to goofily jump around in the rain. The girls began to laugh. They finally broke and got into the car. "See you tomorrow at noon. We're meeting at the church." said Donghae excitedly.

"Of course! And send my love to Yooyeon..." Taecyeon added. "And uh, tell Yoona to call me."

"Sure." said Tiffany. She waved goodbye as the car drove away and out of sight.

It was 2AM. Taecyeon was nowhere near tired. The entire day had felt like a dream. For the first time in so long, he was smiling, and it was genuine. He was excited about tomorrow.

Taecyeon closed his eyes in an attempt to sleep, however it was short lived. It wasn't excitement that kept him awake anymore, it was disappointment, longing, and a lot of heart ache. Yoona hadn't come to the dinner.

He stared up into the darkness of the ceiling for a long time. Before he realized what he was doing, he suddenly got out of bed and began to dress himself. He grabbed his phone and his hotel key and left.

The cab stopped in front of Donghae and Jessica's house. He stared at it, amazed. He paid the driver and stepped out. It was still raining, but he was unaware of that fact. He was fixated on Yoona. He took out his phone and dialed her number.

Yoona was awakened by the sound of bells. When she fully gained consciousness, she realized bells weren't ringing, her cell phone was. She open to see who in God's name would be calling her at two in the morning. It was Taecyeon. She snapped it shut and stuffed the phone underneath a pillow to muffle the ringing. However, the ringing was annoyingly consistent. She grabbed the phone and left the room, hoping it wouldn't wake Yooyeon up. Once she was in the hall, she lazily pushed the "accept" button.

"Taecyeon." she began warningly.

He cut her off. "I'm outside."

Yoona didn't understand. "What do you mean?"

"I'm outside Jessica and Donghae's house."

Yoona gasped, and then realized that explained the echoed static on the other end of the phone. "What? It's two in the morning Taecyeon? So what, have you taken up stalking as some kind of sick hobby?" she deathly whispered into the phone.

"No. I just knew you wouldn't talk to me unless I came here."

Yoona didn't know what to do. She quietly went back into her room to look out her window. She saw Taecyeon, dripping wet, standing outside looking extremely lost. She tried to not let it get to her.

"Are you still there?" he asked.

"Yeah." she murmured. "But I'm not coming outside. You better call a cab and leave."

"Not until you listen to me."

"Fine then. Stand there in the rain and get sick. I don't care."

"Okay I will." he said before he turned off the phone. Yoona grew increasingly frustrated.

'What the hell does he want me to do?' she thought. 'I swear he is more stubborn than Tiffany!' She looked outside her window again and saw Taecyeon, standing contentedly in the rain. She put a robe around herself before she went downstairs. She opened the door and quickly ran out to him. The rain was loud.

"Go away Taecyeon!"

"No! You need to listen to me!"

"Why?"

"Because this is important!"

"To you maybe, not to me!"

"If you won't listen for your sake, listen to me for Yooyeon's sake." Yoona froze at the mention of her daughter's name. That was a low blow, and he knew it'd work.

She considered it a few seconds. "Fine." she said. "You've got five minutes. But let's get out of the rain. I'm cold."

"We can't go inside, people will hear us."

"Follow me." Taecyeon followed Yoona into the backyard. They walked into the gazebo, sheltered from the rain, but still cold from the wind. They were dripping wet.

"Thank you." mumbled Taecyeon.

"Don't thank me yet." Yoona was annoyed and very tired.

"You're shivering." he noticed.

"Obviously."

"Here..." He took off his jacket to put it around Yoona. Under different circumstances, she wouldn't have accepted it, but she felt like she was surrounded by ice. She tried to not look at him as he adjusted his coat around her shoulders. She was unsuccessful. They locked helpless gazes for a quick second, before she timidly stepped back.

The calmed silence between them alleviated the anger from Yoona. They shared a subtle smile. "Thanks." she said meekly. "Now what is so important that you need to tell me?"

Taecyeon held his breath. "I found something in my suitcase earlier." he said softly.

"Umm, okay." she said confused. Taecyeon fumbled inside his pocket for a moment before he pulled out the object. Yoona stared at it, dazed.

"Is that?" she asked, taken aback.

"It's my promise ring."

"How, how was that in your suitcase?"

"The day I moved out of our apartment, I, I took it off because I was going to leave it there. But I couldn't. So I put it inside the pocket of my suitcase. I haven't used the suitcase since then, and when I was unpacking earlier this morning, I found it."

There were nights when the wind was so cold

That my body froze in bed

If I just listened to it

Right outside the window

"What does that have to do with me?" she mumbled, her eyes fixed on his.

Taecyeon slowly moved closer to her, driving out the last bit of courage sustained in him. "Yoona, it has everything to do with you. I thought I died with my dad but I was wrong." He shook his head as he leisurely took her hands into his. Yoona wanted to pull back, but found herself unable to move. "I died the day you left me." She searched for an explanation in his eyes, but the answer was so clear. He was telling the truth.

There were days when the sun was so cruel

That all the tears turned to dust

And I just knew my eyes were

Drying up forever

"I've been dead these past four years, Yoong. I wasn't there when you needed me. I lied to you. You have every reason to hate me." She stared at him in disbelief, her eyes glistening against the faint moonlight.

I finished crying in the instant that you left

Though I can't remember where or when or how

"There is nothing I can do to make you understand how sorry I am but I am sorry. Even if you don't believe me, I need to tell you that." With his eyes directly on hers he whispered. "I'm sorry Yoona."

And I banished every memory you and I had ever made

Taecyeon carefully watched as streams of water flowed down Yoona's delicate face. He let one of her hands go to gently wipe her cheek. She trembled...

But when you touch me like this

And you hold me like that

I just have to admit

That it's all coming back to me

"I'm still in love with you, Yoona. I've loved you from the first moment I saw you and I still do Seeing this ring again made me finally realize this..." Yoona felt herself falling.

When I touch you like this

And I hold you like that

It's so hard to believe

"Say something, please..."

After so many years, to hear the words she had been secretly praying for but believed she would never hear, was so strange. She looked at the ground, wanting so badly to say something, but unsure of what to say...

But it's all coming back to me

Before she could think of a response, Taecyeon gently tipped her chin up with his finger and lightly grazed her lips with his.

If you kiss me like this

And if you whisper like that

It was lost long ago

But it's all coming back to me

Everything fell into place with that kiss. She wouldn't let herself believe she still loved him. But now, there was nowhere to run...

If you want me like this

And if you need me like that

It was dead long ago

But it's all coming back to me

Yoona's hands lingered onto his shoulders, caressing his face as their souls intertwined...

It's so hard to resist

And it's all coming back to me

Taecyeon's arms encircled her waist to pull her closer, their bodies warm and immortal against the harshness of the wind...

I can barely recall

But it's all coming back to me now

Suddenly Taecyeon felt Yoona tense up, fear came over him...

But you were history with the slamming of the door

And I made myself so strong again somehow

And I never wasted any of my time on you since then

Yoona caught herself before she completely gave in. She broke the kiss and pounded her fist into his chest to push him away.

"No! No! It is not that easy, Taecyeon!" She cried angrily and spun around. "You've had a million flings since me! You don't even try to spend time with me and Yooyeon! If you still loved me and if I was so important, why the hell did you treat me the way you did! Why did it take you so long to finally say this!"

If you forgive me all this

If I forgive you all that

We forgive and forget

As it's all coming back to me

Taecyeon urgently held his arms out to Yoona. "Yoona, I am trying so hard to make you understand!" A mixture of rain and tears blinded his vision. "Please, Yoona, please..." he begged through incoherent sobs.

When you see me like this

And when I see you like that

We see just what we want to see

As it's all coming back to me

He desperately fell to his knees and grasped her arms. "Losing you is the biggest regret of my entire life! I've been in hell these past four years! I can't, I can't imagine living one more day without you!" He held her waist, crying into her body...

The flesh and the fantasies

All coming back to me

I can barely recall

but it's all coming back to me now...

"You promised Taecyeon!" Her livid sobs were uncontainable. "You promised we would be together! You promised you'd always be there, no matter what! I put so much faith into that promise, and you broke it..."

It's all coming back to me now...

"Yoona, I'm here now..." He murmured frantically. "Please Yoona, please. I'm here now."