Chapter 07

By Faith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Taecyeon and Yoona both continued to weep for minutes on end. He knelt on the cold, wooden floor gripping her, begging her with every fiber in his body for compassion. She remained standing, thriving on every last muscle to keep her strong, physically and emotionally. His heart wrenching, her heart resistant. It was a lose, lose battle.

Finally the wind died. The rain stopped. The air around them grew incredibly tranquil, forcing them to come to their senses. Yoona was the first to move. She lifted his head, smoothed the hair away from his face, and loosened his hands that were clutched tightly around her. She knelt down to his eye level, knowing what she needed to say.

"I never stopped loving you either, Taec…"

The words almost came out too easily. After all of the sorrow, the resentment, the frustration, these were the words that answered it all. Taecyeon stared at her, amazed.

And yet, it solved nothing. "But it's just not good enough…" The pain returned in her eyes. "I gave you everything…" she whispered. "There's nothing left…" Her warm breath burned the coldness on his lips and sent a chill down his spine. "I'm sorry." Yoona hesitated slightly before she slowly leaned in to lay a simple kiss on his mouth, one last kiss. "Your five minutes are up." She got up and began to walk down the steps of the gazebo, noticing the night was moist from the rain. Taecyeon jumped up and called after her.

"Yoona! Wait!" He desperately shouted. She turned after the last step, looking up at him. The reflection of the moonlight complimented his deep, helpless eyes. "I may have ruined our past…" he said sincerely. "But you can still save our future." Yoona quickly turned away so he couldn't see the expression on her face. She quietly exhaled and made her way back into the house.

 

The church was luminescent. Ivory columns of lilacs and baby's breath invited guests through the entryway. The aisle carpet sparkled golden and was adorned by multi colored rose petals. Lily and tulip displays stood at the end of every pew. The orchestra played Pachelbel's Canon in D serenely. Crystal chandeliers brilliantly lit the church, while bright glares from the stain glass windows completed its sacredness.

The day was beautifully blue, clear and warm. It was the kind of day that made young lovers want to rejoice, old lovers renew, and separated lovers reunite.

Taecyeon was seated with Yooyeon at the very front pew as Yoona and Tiffany stood at the altar, waiting for the ceremony to begin. Khun stood next to a nervous, excited, anticipated Donghae, carefully watching the joy spread across his best friend's face as his future bride made her way down the aisle.

Take me as I am

Put your hand in mine now and forever

"Wow!" breathed Donghae.

Darling here I stand, stand before you now

Deep inside I always knew

"She's breathtaking." said Tiffany to Yoona.

It was you, you and me

Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny

Jessica met Donghae at the front of the altar. They joined hands. Taecyeon stared intently at Yoona, praying that maybe someday, that would be them.

It was you and you for me

Every road leads to your door

Every step I take forevermore

"We are gathered here today to unite this man and this woman in holy matrimony…"

Just say you love me for the rest of your life

I've got a lot of love and I don't want to let go

"I, Jung Soo Yeon, take you, Lee Donghae, for my husband…"

Will you still love me for the rest of my life?

'Cause I can't go on

Yoona avoided eye contact with Taecyeon, afraid he'd be able to read her mind…

No, I can't go on

I can't go on

If I'm on my own

"I, Lee Donghae, take you, Jung Soo Yeon, for my wife…"

Take me as I am

Put your heart in mine, stay with me forever

Tiffany and Khun smiled lovingly at each other, Tiffany had tears in her eyes.

Cause I am just a man who never understood

I never had a thing to prove

"From this day forward, until death do us part…"

'Till there was you

You and me

Yooyeon yawned slightly and scooted next to her father, leaning her delicate head against his arm.

Then it all came clear so suddenly

How close to you that I want to be

"With this ring, I thee wed…"

Just say you love me for the rest of your life

I've got a lot of love and I don't want to let go

Yoona watched astonished as Taecyeon gently put his arm around his daughter, smiling as he gently caressed her hand. He leaned down, and planted a loving kiss upon her head.

Will you still love me for the rest of my life?

'Cause I can't go on

"I do…"

No, I can't go on

I can't go on

If I'm on my own

"I do…"

Do you believe a love could run so strong?

Do you believe a love could pass you by?

Taecyeon noticed Yoona staring at him. They shared a sad, subtle smile.

There was no special one for me

I was the lonely one, you see

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

But then my heart lost all control

Now you're all that I know

 

Back at Jessica and Donghae's for the reception…

"I am pleased to announce, Mr. and Mrs. Lee Donghae!" yelled Khun through a microphone.

Just say you love me for the rest of your life

Jessica giggled as they cut the cake. She takes a piece and creamed it on Donghae's nose.

I've got a lot of love and I don't want to let go

Jessica and Donghae walked to the dance floor for their first dance.

Will you still love me for the rest of my life?

Taecyeon watched Yoona as she enviously eyed the couples romantically swaying. He got up to ask her to dance.

'Cause I can't go on

No, I can't go on

He extended his hand as he said. "I don't want to fight. Dance with me, please?" She hesitated for a moment, then cautiously accepted his hand. They slowly walked to the center of the floor.

I can't go on

If I'm on my own

"I want to apologize for the chaos I created this weekend. I didn't mean to overwhelm you, honestly. It's just that, for the first time in so long, I felt something, inside my heart, other than emptiness. I needed to explore that. And it led me back to you."

I can't go on

No, I can't go on

Without somebody I can call my own

"I'm not expecting anything from you right now, Yoong. I just don't want this anger between us anymore. I want to be a good father. I want to be a good friend. And even though you may not want anything to do with me right now, I'd wait for you forever."

Cause I can't go on, will you still love me?

No, I can't go on, just say you love me.

Just stay around

"I'm flying back to Seoul tonight, and before you say anything, just hear me out. Me coming out here has had some powerful consequences. I want you and Yooyeon to be able to enjoy the rest of your vacation. I know you won't be able to do that if I'm here. Can you just do me a favor and call me as soon as you get back home? I'd really love to have Yooyeon for a weekend or something."

Stay around, you'll never be alone

"Thank you so much Yoong, for not taking my daughter away from me."

Yoona smiled graciously. "You're welcome."

The song ended and Taecyeon and Yoona walked in separate directions from the dance floor. It was about 5:30PM. His flight was at 9:15PM. He knew he needed to leave soon. Airport security had gotten incredibly strict and time consuming. He searched the backyard until his eyes fell upon what he wanted. He walked over to Yooyeon, who was playing with her Barbie dolls on a lawn patch. Two other young girls accompanied her.

"Hey sweetie, can daddy talk to you for a minute?"

"Kay daddy." she took his hand and followed him to the gazebo.

"Daddy has to go back home tonight…"

"No! Daddy why? You dun wanna play wif me?"

"No no! Of course daddy wants to play with you sweetie, I just have to do grown up stuff! But, I promise as soon as you and mommy get back home, you and I will play everyday, okay?"

A wide smile broke across Yooyeon's face. "Otay."

"Here honey, I told you I'd get you something." Taecyeon pulled out the promise ring from his jacket. It was hanging from a thin, white gold chain. He unhooked the clasp and gently put it around Yooyeon's neck.

"Wut is it?"

"This is something really special to daddy. It's my faith. And, I'm giving it to you. Now it's your faith."

"I luv it! It's spawkly!"

"I'm glad you do. Protect it, okay?

"Fowevuh!"

"Forever!" repeated Taecyeon. He picked up his little girl and planted teasing kisses on her cheek. She giggled in delight. They walked back to the lawn patch so she could continue playing with her new friends. Taecyeon took out his phone and called for a taxi.

Khun ran up to Taecyeon. "Hey! I've been looking for you everywhere! Donghae and Jessica's limo is here! They're leaving for Hawaii in two minutes!"

"What? Really? Where are they?"

"In the front!" The guys ran to the front of the mansion where they found a large crowd of guests, with an aisle splitting them in half. Donghae and Jessica ran from their front door down the aisle, bits of rice showering over their heads. Taecyeon called out to them, his voice tiny compared to the loud cheers. He fought his way through the crowd, finally reaching Donghae's arm. Donghae turned around, relieved to be able to say goodbye to his friend. Jessica turned around and noticed him as well.

"This is your present!" called Taecyeon as he handed Donghae and Jessica an envelope.

"Having you here is good enough!" yelled Donghae.

"Too bad!" shouted Taecyeon. "I figured you guys have everything you want already, so I tried to think of something different. They're two plane tickets to Seoul, scheduled this Christmas. You guys better visit." They grinned at each other, happy to be friends again.

"It's perfect Taec. Thank you so much!" exclaimed Jessica. They shared quick hugs and Donghae and Jessica disappeared into the Navigator Limousine. The crowd behind Taecyeon passed him as they ran after the car, continuously cheering. Taecyeon saw Tiffany, standing on the top step of the doorway. He walked over to his sister, and embraced her.

"I'm going back home tonight."

"What? Why?"

"Yoona understands. You and Khun had better call me as soon as you get home."

"Of course, we can go have coffee or something." Tiffany playfully punched Taecyeon's right shoulder. "What time is your flight?"

"It's at 9:15."

"That means you have to leave soon…" said Tiffany sadly.

"Yeah, I know. I pretty much already said my good byes. Take care of yourself, okay?" Tiffany nodded and tightened her arms around her brother's waist. Taecyeon kissed the top of her head. They let go. Khun then walked up to them.

"Hey, why do you guys look so glum! It's a wedding! Not Donghae's movie premiere!"

Taecyeon laughed. "I'm flying back tonight. I gotta clear out my office and do a bunch of paperwork…"

"Tiffany told me about you quitting, so you're really going to do it?"

"Yep, I'm really going to do it." He smiled at Khun. "Thanks for being so good to Yeonie, man. You are going to make one awesome father." Khun tried not to blush. Taecyeon's taxi then pulled up in front of the house. He smile as he waved to Khun and Tiffany, Yooyeon and Yoona nowhere in sight, got inside the cab, and drove back to his hotel room.

Taecyeon was actually excited to get back to Seoul, to get back to the beginning of his new life. He would spend the week looking into the Graduate program at Seoul University. He couldn't wait to see the reaction of his Law Firm when he announces his retirement. He was also planning on looking for a new apartment. He wanted to be closer to Yooyeon, Yoona, Tiffany and Khun, his family. It was going to be a busy and stressful week, but unlike his last career, it was going to be worth it. An announcement interrupted his thoughts.

"Flight 738 to Gimpo is now boarding." He picked up his carry on, checked around him to make sure he wasn't missing anything, then went to go stand in line to board the plane.

 

It was around 9:45PM. There were still a few guests, dancing in the backyard under the wedding canopy as the hired help began cleaning up. Yoona was carrying Yooyeon upstairs, getting her ready for bed.

"But mommy…" yawned Yooyeon. "I'm not sweepy.”

"Oh you're not, huh?"

"Nope…" Yooyeon's eyes began to droop. Yoona took off her dress, noticing a silver glare around her neckline. Yoona the ring, finally realizing what it was. She put her hand to to prevent a gasp. She stared at it for a moment. "Did daddy give you this?"

"Yuh huh." mumbled Yooyeon.

"Why?" asked a bewildered Yoona.

"It's my fafe." said Yooyeon matter of factly.

"You're, you're faith?" Yoona questioned in a whisper.

"Yeah mommy. My fafe. Purdy huh?"

Yoona's face softened as she saw how her daughter stared at the ring adoringly. "It's beautiful, baby." She continued changing Yooyeon, putting her into pajamas. Then, she tucked her into bed with Kkuma. "Night pumpkin…"

Yoona sat on the edge of her bed, watching Yooyeon as she slept, the twinkle of the ring bright against the darkened room. "You're faith…" Yoona whispered nonchalantly, almost aimlessly. She had no idea what made her say that. 'I may have ruined our past, but you can still save our future.' She continued to stare at her daughter, realizing how wrong she had been to judge Yooyeon and Taecyeon's relationship. He really was trying. It took him such a long time but he was right. He was there now. Why had he given Yooyeon the ring? Was it to torture Yoona? No. No matter how mean he had been in the past, he never hurt her intentionally, he would never hurt her intentionally…

Then it clicked.

Taecyeon hadn't betrayed her like she believed he had. The drinking, the drugs, the verbal abuse, it wasn't intentional. She blamed him for not caring, not wanting to help, not being there. But he couldn't. It was like he forgot how. She couldn't understand his loss. It was his and Tiffany's father. Not hers. She was never really close to her parents, although he was. She never understood what it was like to have someone so close, whom you loved more than yourself, and then have that person be taken away, so cruelly.

But finally, a glimmer of realization hit Yoona. As she watched her daughter breathe unconsciously, she understood. 'If anybody ever hurt Yooyeon…' the thought of it drove Yoona crazy. Her relationship with Yooyeon went beyond any kind of love. It was unconditional. It was pure. It was sacrificial. The bond between a parent and child was indefinable, but it was nonetheless powerful.

Yoona gathered her thoughts as she got off the bed. The clock read 10:33PM. She couldn't call his cell phone. He was in the air. She called his apartment in Seoul instead and decided to leave a message.

 

Khun and Tiffany were in the family room, watching television. The entire day, not to mention the entire weekend, had worn them out. Jerry Maguire was on.

"Hello? Hello? I'm looking for my wife." said Tom Cruise on the screen.

"Oh I love this part!" squealed Tiffany. Khun smiled at her sweetly then turned away, rolling his eyes at the TV. He didn't like Tom Cruise.

"We interrupt the Sunday night movie with a special new bulletin..." echoed the television speakers.

"No!" yelled Tiffany. "Why do they always do this when it gets to the good part?" Khun innocently shrugged, while he was secretly relieved. "Whatever. I'm going to go upstairs and put my pajamas on. These granny aren't comfy." Khun watched Tiffany walk grumpily upstairs before he focused his attention back to the television.

"Good evening…" Khun glanced around looking for the television remote. The news announcement looked boring. "Unfortunate news has reached the station tonight claiming that Air Busan has yet again suffered another plane collision…" Khun got up and flipped over the cushions of the couch, continuing his search for the remote control. "The plane, flying from Busan International Airport to Gimpo International Airport collapsed mid air over bordering Gyeonggido-Chongbuk Mountains. The incident is yet to undergo thorough investigation…" Khun was no longer looking for the remote. His eyes were planted on the television screen. He was hardly breathing. "This just in. It has been verified. Air Busan Flight 738, departed at 9:15PM from Busan International Airport, expected to arrive at Gimpo International Airport at 10:20PM, exploded on impact into the Myeongsun Mountain at 9:39PM. The explosion erupted a series of stray fires, damaging the redwood population along the mountainside. Rescue teams claim there are no survivors. The cause of this crash is still under investigation. More on this at the 11o'clock news."

Khun grabbed at his chest. It couldn't be, Khun was just assuming. After all, Taecyeon hadn't told him the flight number. It wasn't his plane. No way could it have been Taecyeon's plane.

Beads of sweat unanimously surfaced on Khun's strained face. He stumbled as he frantically ran up the stairs to Tiffany. She was slipping her nightgown over her head.

"Tiff…" began Khun hoarsely. It hurt to speak. It hurt to breathe. "Wha, what was Taecyeon's flight number again?" he forced this out nervously.

"Why?" she slowly asked, noticing how pale his face was.

"It's, it's important Tiffany." Khun fought the urge to cry.

"I umm, I don't really remember, I think it's 7-something…"

"738?" he deathly whispered.

"Yeah, that's it…" Khun fell back against the door. "Khun! Khun, sweetie what's wrong?" He looked at Tiffany, his eyes glazed from fright.

"Sit, down beside me. I have something to tell you…" He was barely audible.

Yoona had just finished leaving a message on Taecyeon's machine. She snapped her phone shut, genuinely happy for the first time in very long. Yoona had faith that they were going to be together again. She smiled into the darkness of the room.

Then she heard Tiffany scream. An indescribable pain bruised Yoona's heart at the shrill sound of Tiffany's voice.

Yoona ran down the hall to find Tiffany sobbing hysterically as Khun held her tightly to subdue his own anguish. Yoona was afraid to ask…

"What, what's wrong?" she whispered.

Khun slowly looked up, his face ghostly white, his eyes red and over flowing with wetness. He didn't want to tell her. "Yoona…" he trembled. He tried to swallow, it was impossible. "Taecyeon's plane…" He shook his head bitterly. He couldn't continue. He didn't need to. Yoona understood. The pain in his eyes explained it all…

She felt the floor beneath her disappear. Everything around her began to spin.

Then the room went dark.