Chapter 04

By Faith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Omma..."started Yooyeon. "It's Daddy." The girls were still pretty much engrossed in conversation. Yoona briefly glanced at Yooyeon.

"Yooyeon, sweetie, don't pull mommy's shirt. What did we say about interrupting grown ups?"

"But Mommy, it's Daddy!" she pleaded excitedly. She pointed over to where the man was standing, who now had a smile on his face. He held out his arms to her. Yooyeon laughed with delight and ran to him.

She heaved a sigh as she turned around to call to her daughter. "Honey, your Daddy's in Seou…"

Yoona stopped breathing. She quickly stood up, completely stunned at the sight before her. "Oh my God." she exhaled. Taecyeon lifted Yooyeon off the ground and into his arms.

"Oh my God." gasped Tiffany and Jessica. Yoona glanced at Tiffany and Jessica blankly. Their faces were completely dumbstruck. Tiffany looked like she saw a ghost. Jessica's mouth gaped open.

"That, that can't be, I mean, it is but wow, this is unbelievable!" whispered Jessica.

"What, what is he doing here?" breathed Tiffany.

"Unnie I, I uh, I don't know." Yoona stammered. She shrugged her shoulders, just as bewildered as them, composed herself and slowly walked over to Taecyeon.

"What are you doing here?" Yoona asked coolly.

"I umm, I don't know. I guess I came to see Yooyeon." he answered unsurely. He looked at his daughter to see her smiling angelically at him.

Yoona narrowed her eyes. Trying to be as polite as possible in front of Yooyeon, she asked. "How'd you know where we were?"

"Umm, my mom gave me Jessica's number. One of the maids who answered the phone said you were at the church and gave me the address."

"Appa, wut you bringed me?" Yooyeon asked innocently.

"Umm, nothing right now pumpkin, but I can get you something later." his voice trailed off when he met Yoona's annoyed gaze. "Sweetie, let me talk to your Mommy, okay? Go back to your Aunt Jessica and Aunt Tiffany."

"Kay." Taecyeon let her down and she ran to her Aunts.

"Yoong, we'll take her to the park down the street. Call my cell when you're, umm, done." called Jessica.

Before she turned around to follow Jessica and Yooyeon, Tiffany gave her brother a deathly, cold stare. Taecyeon knew what that look meant. He had given her the same one a few years earlier.

Yoona turned to face him, a lot more collected than she had been a few moments ago. "So seriously, what are you doing here?"

He realized he created this confrontation, but he didn't know how to handle it. "I told you." he looked down and put his hand on his temple. Yoona sensed he was tired. "I, I guess I just really wanted to see my daughter."

"Wait a minute, so you flew clear across country because you had a sudden urge to be with your daughter, but you won't drive twenty miles when you can see her everyday?"

"If you want to look at it that way." He was still looking at the ground.

"What made you suddenly want to see her? Was it because of our fight last night? You think this one visit is going to make up for all the times you weren't there?" Yoona tried hard to refrain herself from yelling.

"Hey I'm here now and that's what matters!"

"Don't expect a medal or anything Taecyeon."

"God Yoong! I don't!" He sighed exasperatedly. "Yoona, I'm trying." he mumbled, pleading.

"You should have been trying this entire time."

They shared an awkward silence.

Taecyeon spoke up. "I didn't know Fany was pregnant."

"Of course you didn't. How would you know seeing as how you haven't spoken to her for over three years." she replied coldly.

"Give me a break Yoona! My father's death devastated me! I was losing my mind!"

"And still are, I see."

He threw up his hands. "Forget it! I don't even know why I'm bothering."

"Well then that makes the both of us!"

He eyed her wildly. "You're never going to let this go are you? Whatever I do, or say, you're just going to keep arguing with me!"

"Hell Taecyeon, you should be used to this kind of treatment. You argue for a living!"

"That is not fair Yoona!"

"Excuse me! I'm being unfair? You were the one yelling at me last night because I came to my best friend’s wedding! Oh wait, you don't have friends anymore, so how could I have possibly expected you to understand." she spat icily.

That last remark stung. He tried not to show it and turned away before he said. "You caught me off guard, that's all. And you're right I shouldn't have yelled."

"What? Is this some kind of reverse psychology bull you're trying to pull! I'm not some guilty witness on a stand, Taecyeon. You can't play your 'lawyer' games with me!"

His tone softened. He had a lot of time to think on the plane. He was wrong for yelling at Yoona the previous night. He realized that now. He turned back to look at her. Sincerely he said. "I'm sorry I yelled at you."

Yoona kept open, ready for retaliation, but nothing came out. Did she hear right? Yoona was speechless. It took her a few seconds to let the words sink in. She paused before her tone softened as well. "That's umm, well, thank you."

"I guess I just." he ran his fingers through his hair. "I hated the idea of you guys leaving, without saying anything to me."

"It's not like we ran away Taecyeon."

"I know, I just, I don't know. It's hard for me to explain."

"Please try." Yoona herself was trying very hard to understand him, to find a common ground. She still didn't completely trust his intentions for flying to Busan, but she needed to find some kind of faith that there was goodness left in Taecyeon, for the sake of her little girl.

"Well, I was so busy with work last week, I kind of isolated myself from all personal matters including phone calls and…"

"Wait, so you purposely avoided my calls? Why'd you lie to me?" She didn't want faith anymore, she wanted a restraining order. "You accused me of lying when you knew I wasn't!"

"Hey, you know how important my work is to me!"

"Oh yeah, how could I forget?" she asked sarcastically. "But exactly what part of your job is important, Taecyeon? Your bottomless bank account filled with dirty money? The early morning drug fests? The new each night?"

"You have no idea what you're talking about Yoona!"

"No of course I don't! I'm always wrong aren't I, Mr. Self Righteous? You don't even care about whether or not your clients are really innocent anymore! It's like you forgot about the real reason you decided to become a lawyer in the first place Taecyeon!"

"Stop right there." he hissed warningly.

She couldn't stop. It was out of her control. Years and years of frustration built up inside her were over flowing and she was finally letting herself go. "How do you sleep at night knowing you fight to keep criminals free in the same world where you expect your daughter to grow up? What would your dad say if he saw you like this Taecyeon?" The words escaped her lips before she had time to consider them.

"Stop it Yoona! I don’t need to hear this!"

"Who else is going to say this to you? There is nobody else Taecyeon! You're completely alone! And you want to know why? Because you are incapable of letting anybody love you!"

"Hey! Yooyeon loves me!"

Her eyes were wild. "Are you sure about that? How do you know? Because she expects presents from you? Because she still calls you Daddy? You're lucky she doesn't understand the true concept of a father yet! She doesn't see you as someone who loves her, protects her, or who even takes care of her! You're a money sign! And now suddenly you want to just come back into her life whenever you feel like it? Like you never even left?"

"You're the one who left me Yoona! You're the one who turned away and left!" Taecyeon trembled. He looked away from her, frustrated, angry, and incredibly hurt.

Memories and a sad mixture of feelings swept through her heart. Her rage quickly vanished. For the first time in her life, she wasn't angry at Taecyeon, she felt sorry for him.

She slowly shook her head, having never seen things more clearly. "You're wrong, Taecyeon, I never left you." She lifted up his face with her hands so that they were directly looking into each other's eyes.

"The day your dad died, you left me, I just let you go."

He stared into her eyes for what seemed like forever. Taecyeon didn't know what to say to that. Her words, they weren't just painful accusations, they were the truth.

For the first time in over three years, Taecyeon felt his eyes water. He took her hands off his face and turned away again. After a few short breaths, with this head still turned, he finally spoke.

"This was a bad idea."

She felt guilty, but she knew he deserved it. She uttered sadly. "Maybe this was." Taecyeon walked off leaving Yoona underneath the tree.

An hour later Taecyeon had circled the block about twice already. He didn't know where to go. Besides, this wasn't like the City. Busan didn't have many cabs.

He was staring hard at the ground trying to figure out how everything had changed. He knew that since his dad was arrested, something came over him. That's why he decided to become a lawyer. Taecyeon wanted to save innocent lives and put away those who were truly guilty. He wanted to be a lawyer to save other families like his. Or, at least that's how he started out. Now he wished he pursued his ‘dinosaur freak’ career. Then again, he wondered how that really would have changed anything. He was completely lost in thought that he almost walked into the pathway of a moving SUV. A Priest not far from him saw and pulled Taecyeon out of the road.

"Woah, son..." said the elderly man in a black ensemble.

"Oh, oh my God." Taecyeon stuttered. "I mean, thank you, your, your..." He tried to think. "Your priestness, Sir?"

The Father laughed. "It's okay, son. You can call me Father Jae Suk."

He paused for a moment to get back to reality. "Oh, I'm Taecyeon." They shake hands. "Well, umm, well, thanks for stopping me."

"You seem to be a little distraught. Well, much distraught if you didn't see what you were walking into."

"Yeah, well, I mean, I dunno." Taecyeon's voice trailed off. He was a little uncomfortable talking to the Priest.

"Hey." He said softly. "I'm not here to make you feel uncomfortable, or to judge you. If you want to talk, to get some things off your chest, I'm the person to talk to." He smiled warmly at Taecyeon. Taecyeon realized he wasn't going anywhere anyway, nor did he actually have anybody to talk to, maybe it would do him some good.

"Okay well, I mean, there's a lot on my mind right now." They went over and sat on a bench. "I don't know where to start." he answered truthfully.

"Wherever you feel comfortable." said the Priest. Taecyeon took a few moments to think.

"I uh, I guess when I found out about my dad."

Time Lapse of about a half hour

"I'm sorry about your father, Taecyeon." Taecyeon didn't reply. He knew he meant it, but it just wasn't enough. "So, you don't talk to any of your friends anymore? Not even your sister?"

"Since then, I, I guess I kind of pushed them away. I didn't mean to but, I just always wanted to be alone, well, I mean there's more to that though."

"Nobody should have to suffer alone, Taecyeon. Friends and family are there for support, not to make you feel worse."

"Yeah well, that's not even the worst of it, after I found out my ex girlfriend, Yoona, was pregnant, I flipped."

 

Cuts back to 4 years, 5 months earlier…

Taecyeoon’s father had been convicted and was sent to a mental institution. Yoona had been spending a lot more time with her assistant, Minho, mainly because he was the only one who wasn't involved with the whole ‘incident’. Yoona liked having a friend to talk to who didn't get depressed every other minute. It kept her sane.

It was around 1AM when Taecyeon walked through the door, apparently a little drunk. He heard gagging noises coming from the toilet. Curious, he went to see what was going on. From the doorway, he saw Yoona, kneeling down in front of the bowl, one hand keeping her hair up. She didn't notice Taecyeon was home.

"What, are you sick or something?" slurred Taecyeon.

Even with the odor from her vomit, she could smell the alcohol on his breath. "No, Taecyeon. I'm uh, I'm just a little queasy." She tried to stay as calm as possible. She knew his temper when he was drunk. "It's late. You should get to bed."

Unfortunately, Taecyeon had been drunk quite often lately. He tried to drown his sorrows and the stress from law school with alcohol. It wasn't working and it was just hurting him, especially Yoona.

"I don't need you to tell me what to do!" he yelled.

She jumped a little. Quietly she said. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry. Just uh, let me wash myself."

"Yeah you need to coz you obviously don't look good." With those words, Yoona began to cry. It was too much and she was just too vulnerable. She tried to hide it by turning her face away, but Taecyeon noticed.

"Why the hell are you crying? That's all you've been doing lately, you know that! Geez, grow some skin!"

"Taecyeon." whispered a sniffling Yoona. "I'm, I'm pregnant." Taecyeon looked at her intently, trying to see if it was a joke. It wasn't.

"Oh my, my God, are, are you sure?"

"Yeah, I uh, I went to the doctor's this morning. I'm about a month pregnant." Taecyeon became very silent. Eerily silent. Yoona didn't know what to do. He didn't seem happy or sad, just expressionless.

Finally, she spoke up again. "Well, I mean, you're, you're gonna be a daddy. I mean, isn't that wonderful?" Taecyeon's face fumed up.

"How the hell do I even know it's mine?"

Yoona did not expect that. "What?" she breathed.

"You've been spending an awful lot of time with that 'Minho'. How do I know it's not his? How do I know that you haven't been cheating on me?"

"Taecyeon..." pleaded Yoona, now sobbing. "I didn't cheat on you! I never ever have I swear! Minho and I are just friends! Believe me!"

"Yeah well, I don't know who to believe anymore. Dr. Ji was my dad's best friend! And then he goes and..." Taecyeon drunkenly spat.

"Taecyeon, come on okay, I love you! I love you more than anything on this earth! And I know this probably isn't going into your head because you're drunk, but…"

"Hey! I am not drunk!" Taecyeon slammed the bathroom door, leaving a crying Yoona completely in disarray. What was supposed to be one of the most precious moments in her life, turned out to be one of the worst. The queasiness that had subsided returned. She lifted the toilet seat and hovered her face over it.

 

Cuts back to present…

"I see..." said the Priest.

"Yeah, I mean, I was so stupid! It's like, like I didn't know what the truth was anymore and I ended up doing a lot of stupid things like drinking, and then one of the guys in my class invited me over to study one night, and we ended up snorting coke." Taecyeon stared at his hands. "I can't believe I put her through all of that, now I know why she hates me so much."

"Hate is a very strong word, Taecyeon."

"Yeah I know but I really think she does. You should have heard her yelling at me earlier. And, and my daughter, I completely screwed things with her."

"Taecyeon, I know this might sound cliché, but it's never too late."

"Father, sometimes it is."

"Of course there are instances in our life when we feel as though things have completely gone wrong, as though the universe is being incredibly unfair and the people who we once knew to love us so much turn around and stab our backs but unfortunately, that's what life is, my friend and you shouldn't let one person ruin your only chance at happiness."

Taecyeon listened to Father Jae Suk intently. "Sometimes, things happen for a reason, you don't need to be a firm believer in God to understand that. Life throws us trials that we're suppose to overcome to make us stronger, no matter how unfair the trials seem to be. There is nothing I can say to bring your father back but Yoona and your daughter are still here. So are your other friends and family. The time that is wasted that you can use to make amends, you can only blame yourself."

"I don't know how to win her back, this isn't easy..." whispered Taecyeon.

"Of course not Son! But what exactly in life is easy? This isn't about winning, Taecyeon. It's about you admitting you were wrong, and letting yourself be loved and learning to love in return. Openly. Honestly. Trustingly." Taecyeon put his hands to his face and began to cry for the second time that day.

The Priest sat there patiently for a few moments before he spoke. "You need to have faith, Taecyeon."

Taecyeon slowly looked up and into the Priest's eyes at the sound of those familiar words. But he didn't see Father Jae Suk there. He saw Khun, and Tiffany, and Donghae, and Jessica, and Yoona. He nodded his head, unable to speak. Father Jae Suk continued. "I'm going to go into my office to call a cab for you. What hotel are you staying at?"

"The Ritz Carlton..."

Father Jae Suk turned back to face Taecyeon one more time before he walked away. "Taecyeon, it's not about what we don't have in life that matters, it's about what we do have." Father Jae Suk walked toward the church and left Taecyeon on the bench alone.

"And I have nothing." A single tear slid down his cheek.

"You have me..." Taecyeon lifted his head, taken aback by who was standing before him.