Chapter 01

By Faith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was 9PM on a warm, breezy Friday night in Busan. After stepping out from the sliding doors of Busan Airport and onto the pavement of the temperate city, she soon regretted her choice of wardrobe: a cashmere turtleneck, a long pea coat and her favorite jeans. She heard the weather in Busan was nice. 'Oh well.' she thought. Looking down at her side to the little girl grasping her hand, Yoona made sure they hadn't forgotten anything.

 

"Honey, be careful not to drag Kkuma." said Yoona referring to her daughter's stuffed bear. Being held upside down, Kkuma's ears were inches away from the dirty cement. "We just gave him a bath before we left, remember?" Yooyeon nodded minding her mother's request.

 

"Yes, mommy." she whispered groggily. Yooyeon wasn't used to being up this late. Three year old girl's used up a lot of energy during the day, and Yooyeon wasn't an exception. Yoona had changed her clothes a few hours earlier on the plane, putting her into her favorite purple fuzzy pajamas with the feet already sewn on. She had slept a little during the flight, but the unexpected turbulence had frightened her and she found it hard to fall back asleep. Now that they were on solid ground, Yooyeon couldn't wait to cuddle up with her blanky that was safely tucked in her Hello Kitty knapsack. She yawned.

 

"Aww, sweetie, don't worry. Auntie Fany and Uncle Khun will be here soon, okay?" Yoona reassured her daughter. Almost on cue, a car stopped yards away from them and a much too frantic Tiffany almost fell over leaping out from inside it.

 

"Yoona!" she exclaimed elatedly while hurrying over to greet her best friend. Although they had just seen each other the previous week, the familiarity and presence of someone she loved greatly always eased Tiffany. Yoona felt the same.

 

"Hi, angel." said Tiffany as she kissed Yooyeon on the forehead.

 

"Where's my little Yeonie?!" asked Khun in a kiddish voice as he approached them. Yooyeon squealed excitedly as she hid behind her mother in an attempt to play along with her Uncle's game. Every time they saw each other, Khun would chase her around playfully and Yooyeon would run away knowing that if her Uncle caught her, massive tickling would occur.

 

With huge smiles on their faces, Yoona and Tiffany embraced briefly. The bulge in Tiffany's tummy being more defined than before prevented Yoona from fully squeezing Tiffany like she usually did. Even though she was only fou months pregnant, she was showing profoundly. Smiling, they watched Khun lift Yooyeon into who arms, who by now was giggling uncontrollably, and planted sloppy kisses all over her face. Yoona smiled appreciatively at the sight.

 

"Uncle Khunnie you’re so siwwy!" cooed Yooyeon. Yooyeon loved Khun and Tiffany immensely. Her Aunt spoiled her like crazy, always making her favorite white chocolate, macadamia nut cookies. And her Uncle never objected to playing with her, even after thirteen games of Candy land. She loved it best when Tiffany sang her lullabies, and when Khun read her bedtime stories. Nobody did ‘voices’ better than her Uncle, not even the real characters.

 

Being a single mother wasn't easy for Yoona, and having Khun and Tiffany's emotional and physical support helped her more than she could fathom. Tiffany never hesitated to take care of Yooyeon when Yoona had an unexpected affair with work, and Khun pretty much had been the father figure in Yooyeon's life. Because of previous experiences a few years back, Yoona had learned that sometimes life had unexpected twists of fate, but not once did she ever regret having Yooyeon. She was Yoona's sole purpose for living.

 

"Come on Oppa!" called Tiffany. "I promised Sica we'd be back as soon as possible!" Hearing Jessica's name brought a brand new smile to Yoona's face. She couldn't wait to see her and Donghae. They hurriedly piled into the cab.

 

"Haeundae Gardens." Khun told the driver.

 

"I cannot believe they're getting married. Gosh, I haven't seen them in years, Fany! Does Sica look different? How is the church decorated? Did they find a band yet?" Yoona couldn't control her enthusiasm.

 

"Everything and everyone is perfectly fine, Yoong. Oh! And yesterday Donghae signed the contract to do a drama 'You Are Mine'! He starts filming after they get back from their honeymoon!"

 

"Oh I can't wait to see them!" Yoona glanced outside and over the city. Brilliant lights trickled over the valley and reflected against the window. "Wow! Hey Busan's kinda nice. It's not the 'City', but it's nice."

 

"Yeah I know. The weather here is awesome. You should see Jessica and Donghae's tans!"

 

Moments later, the cab approached a beautiful, crème colored, Mediterranean style mansion. The walkway was tiled with specks of granite and marble, fabulously lit by old fashioned lampposts. Arches of maplewood intertwined with honey le vines hugged the veranda above the front door. Donghae and Jessica's home was incredibly huge.

 

"Wow!" breathed Yoona. "Celebrity life did those two good."

 

"Tell me about it." said Tiffany. "Their closet is the size of my apartment."

 

Khun laughed. "Sad, but true. I guess all those years of 'smelling the fart' acting and 'smelly cat' singing finally paid off." he mused.

 

Upon hearing a car entering their driveway, Jessica opened the front door and immediately called Donghae. "They're here! They're here!" cried Jessica. "Ooh yay!"

 

"About time!" exclaimed Donghae. "I wanna see my niece!" He and Jessica proceeded outside.

 

"Oppa! Sica!" cried Yoona happily as she got out of the cab. She could feel her eyes b with tears. She missed these two more than she realized. She quickly gripped Jessica and held onto her for dear life as wet streams fell along her cheeks. After finally letting go, she saw Donghae grinning widely. Yoona threw her arms around him and Donghae enveloped her in a loving bear hug. "You don't know how much I've missed you guys." sobbed Yoona.

 

"Hey, hey." soothed Donghae. "You're here now. Everything's perfect." They pulled apart and Yoona wiped her face. She glanced around at her four wonderful friends, and felt her heart melt.

 

'Almost perfect...' she thought.

 

"And who's this princess?" asked Jessica motioning to Yooyeon. "You must be our Yeonie?" Yooyeon smiled politely at the friendly, blonde woman and shy, dark haired man. Suddenly in recognition, Yooyeon knew who Donghae and Jessica were.

 

"You’re on tv!" she said excitedly. "Mommy, dey on tv!" Yoona nodded.

 

"Yes sweetie they are. This is your Auntie Jessica." Jessica smiled sweetly. "And your Uncle Donghae." Donghae did the same. He noticed she was protectively carrying the bear they sent her for Christmas last year. He smiled.

 

"She's so much more beautiful than the pictures you sent us, Yoong." said Donghae.

 

"Yeah, she looks just like you." Jessica added, trying hard not to notice she looked a little like somebody else as well.

 

"Aww, thank you guys. Let's get inside so I can put the munchkin to bed. She's had a long day. And then you guys can tell me all about the wedding plans!" Donghae and Jessica shared a lovestruck glance before he went to retrieve the luggage on the driveway.

 

Just as they all entered the house, Yoona's cell phone started to ring. She ignored it and continued to follow Jessica. It finally stopped. A few seconds later, her phone rang again. "Oh darn it. Unnie, can you take Yeonie?"

 

"Sure, Yoong."

 

"Sweetie, Auntie Tiffany and Auntie Jessica will take you upstairs. I'll be right up to tuck you in, okay?" Yooyeon nodded sleepily.

 

Yoona rushed outside and onto the veranda to take the call. She unlocked her phone and the caller ID revealed an unexpected and very unfavorable name. Her night had been wonderful so far, and she knew this person would ruin it. She sighed heavily. 'I'm so tired of arguing.' She hesitated to debate whether or not to answer it, but she knew the conversation would be inevitable. She caught her breath, reluctantly pressed the ‘accept’ button and braced herself for the worst.

 

"Hello?" she mumbled trying not to sound too dejected.

 

"Why didn't you tell me you were taking Yooyeon to Busan?!" screamed a male voice from the phone.

 

"I'm fine thanks. Yooyeon's fine too by the way. We had a smooth flight." said Yoona sarcastically.

 

"Don't play smart games with me Yoona." he yelled. "Answer the question!"

 

"I tried." said an exasperated Yoona. "I left message after message with your secretary, telling you to call me. I kept calling your cell phone last week and you never picked up. What was I supposed to do, write you a letter?"

 

"Bull !" yelled the man. "I didn't get any messages!"

 

"Don't call me a liar!" Yoona was rapidly getting annoyed.

 

"Hey, if the shoe fits..." he angrily spat out.

 

"You are unbelievable! Practice what you preach! You're calling me a liar! Walk your pathetic self to a mirror and take a good, hard look!"

 

"You know I could have you in a legal dispute about this?" he threatened icily. "You took my daughter out of the city without my permission!"

 

"Oh pull your head out of your already! Just 'cuz you think you're some hot shot lawyer you act like the whole damn world revolves around you! You don't own us! I'm only here for two weeks and Yooyeon hasn't even started preschool yet!"

 

"Next time, you let me know before you take my daughter anywhere out of the city or I will take legal action." he growled.

 

"If you were actually involved in your daughter's life, I wouldn't have such a hard time tracking you down!"

 

"Hey that little girl adores me!"

 

"I'm sorry, are we referring to the same little girl!"

 

"She knows I'm her father! I can't always be there for her, but that doesn't mean I'm not a good father!"

 

"Maybe by law and Alimony check once a month and a brief visit twice a year classify you as a parent, but it doesn't to me! You can try to defend your actions all you want, but everyday you're not in her life, you drift further and further away from Yooyeon's memory. Hell, I shouldn't be complaining because she's better off without you!"

 

"Are you seriously trying to piss me off more than you have Yoona? Cuz' you're doing one hell of a job!" The man on the phone was absolutely fuming. "If you aren't home in two weeks I will gladly see to it that the rest of your life will be completely miserable."

 

"Go to hell, Taecyeon!" Yoona snapped her phone shut and let it drop to the ground. Fists clenched tight, hot sheathes of liquid blazed her eyes as she stared out into the night sky.