A Nice Surprise

Chen's Pen Pal

Chen’s POV

I hear the guys fighting over something childish again, but I ignore them excited because my Pen Pal, Gaia.

She’s been away from her computer for a while and we use to write to each other through mail, but then she started to move around so much.

She told me it’s because she has problems with her health, but she’s never told me why.

When misspellings started to appear in her letters I asked, her and she answered that her eyesight was starting to fail her.

That was only two weeks ago she went in to the doctor to talk to them about it.

I sigh when I hear that I had given her my Skype account telling her I wanted to talk with her.

I didn't feel as scared to tell her who I really was since I’ve been pen pals with her since I was in middle school.

I’m staring at my Skype and email as I constantly refresh them to see when she’ll email me.

Soon my pops up that she’s calling me.

I quickly check myself to make sure I look fine and answer the call.

JHbq7Me5X0YucUzrPPtE5Lek4ecsPutORKyzqr-8

Sitting in a chair with slowly fogging eyes is a beautiful girl who looks to be half-Chinese and half-Korean like she told me.

I’ve seen pictures of her since after the first year we decided to trade some and since then we send some at some landmark moment in our life.

She smiles slightly as she waves, “Hi, Jongdae.”

I smile, “Hi, Hei Ryung,” using her real name and not the pen pal name she used at first until the 4th letter when we were kids.

She smiles slightly and I see that she’s in a hotel room.

“Hey, Hei Ryung-ah where are you?” I ask her ignoring my loud roommates.

“Oh, my friend won backstage tickets to an EXO concert so she decided to drag me along.

I guess I’ll get to see you Jongdae if that’s okay with you.”

I hear how shy and quiet her voice got with a small blush on her cheeks made her look so cute.

“Of course,” I answer her and have to ask her, “How are your eyes?”

“They aren’t doing so good, but I’m supposed to have surgery in a few months I’m so nervous though.”

“Don't’ be it’ll be just fine,” I tell her not sure if it’ll make her feel better when I’m nervous myself about it.

She smiles at me and I see her eyes straining to see me on the screen.

“Are you able to see at all?”

She nods her head, “I can still see you a bit, but the doctors tell me that it’s a miracle that my eyesight isn’t gone yet.”

Truthfully, I’m glad it isn’t yet and she can see me just a bit, but it’s blurry that much I can tell. I also know because of the blurriness she simply wraps her eyes behind a bandana and has a friend lead her around, because then she won’t have a headache for a while.

"So an EXO concert do you want me to show around backstage?"

She looks at the screen purely confused.

"Why? How?"

"I'm part of EXO," I tell her afraid of what can happen.

“Really?” her face looks like she believes me and a bit of confusion though, “why didn’t you ever tell me?”

“I was a bit worried and embarrassed.”

She smiles slightly at me, but I can tell she’s in pain from the way her forehead creases in pain.

I decide to start calling her, her nickname because she always loves that name more than her own, “Gaia, is something wrong? Are you in pain?”

She chuckles slightly, “I can’t hide anything from you. It’s just I’m wondering why my eyesight decided to fail me after the accident I was in. It’s been 2 months since then.”

I nod my head feeling back for her, “Gaia, there’s more to life than sight. If it fails you I will come to your side to be yours eyes.”

OMG!

Did I just say that to her?

What do I do?

I look up to see her staring at me with wide eyes that are filled with tears.

I start to apologize to her as much as I can until I hear a small giggle.

I look up to see her smiling with tears in her eyes as she says to me, “I wasn’t crying because I was sad. I was crying, because I was touched by what you said. You are one of the first people to treat this like it’s not the end of the world for me.”

I nod my head, “Of course. If it fails you there are many things that you can do and no matter what I won’t let you feel like it’s going to control your life.’

I hear chuckling to know the guys are behind my door, “damn.’

“What?”

“My roommates are listening to us,” I mumble.

I watch her smile, but it’s to try to cover up her blushing cheeks that look beautiful on her.

“Hey, Jongdae is it alright if I meet you before the concert?’

“Sure,I’m sure there’s something I can do.”

She smiles, “I just realized this will be the first time we will see each other in person.”

I nod my head and watch as her head turns to the sound.

“My friend is back I should probably go since she wanted to see more sites after picking up the food.”

I notice her head looking down, “Hey, that’s so cool. I wish I could leave the dorm, but I have to practice,” I look at the time and curse forgetting who I’m talking to, “Now I know why they are at the door. It’s time for us to practice.”

I watch her smile at me, “Alright. I’ll talk to you later.”

I nod my head smiling back feeling purely happy by just talking to her, but sad it has to end.

“I can’t wait to see you and meet your friends.”

I laugh, “Yeah, I guess I’ll see you Friday night.”

She nods and smiles sadly, “That’s still 2 days away.”

I wave to her and she waves back as we say our goodbyes and finally end the call.

I sigh as the guys finally open the door barging into the room.

I look up not surprised to meet the nosey leader of Exo-M looking me straight in the eye, “Who was that?”

I shrug and watch as Tao smiles over at me, “Was that your girlfriend?”

I feel my body stiffen as one thought crosses my mind, ‘I wish that would be true.’

I shake my head, “We’ve been friends since middle school since our mother’s knew each other and made us pen pals. Soon we became friends and that’s it. We are just friends.”

I feel a twinge in my heart telling me that I harbor more than ‘just friends’ feelings for Hei Ryung.

“Why don't’ you ever talk about her?”

I shrug looking at my computer as I slowly close it, “It’s because I don’t want to ruin my friendship with her with you guys telling her embarrassing moments.”

They look at my shocked as Kris points to Lay and Tao, “Those two are what you should worry about.”

I roll my eyes as I pick up my practice bag, “Come on we have practice to get to.”

Your POV

I wanted to see Jongdae before I lose my eyesight but when I saw my screen I can barely make out his shape, but I still see exactly how he looks and I can see why our parents want us together.

I touch a scar on my upper right collarbone the only noticeable scar from the accident.

Dad died in the accident, which stinks, but the man and I barely got along because I lived in my own fantasy world wanting more with my life.

No one understood that until I told Jongdae one day in an email 4 years ago and he told me he understood my feelings.

He helped me achieve my dreams even if sometimes I wouldn’t understand what he’d be telling me.

Ugh...

Why is my Korean still not so perfect?

I laugh, because dad hated hearing it even if mom was from Korea while he’s a Chinese-American.

How my parent’s got together will always be a mystery to me.

When we hung up or we thought we did, I realize I hadn’t and heard what he had said so I finally hang up and close my Skype account.

I watch as my friend walks into our hotel room in Seoul and I realize that in just two days I will see Jongdae face to face for the first time.

I almost feel giddy, but I also feel like I need to cry hoping that my eyesight will stay the same that it is now.

My best friend and almost sister, Rae, smiles at me.

YLNDAmPOG3x8sd9VnHkBlfTMd-8N0CaUDutdjO9E

“Hey, are you alright?”

I nod my head as I look at her telling her about Jongdae.

“What? No way that’s so cool, but I guess now you have more competition than before huh.”

I try to give her a look, but it doesn’t work since the lighting of the room is not agreeing with my eyes after looking at my computer screen.

She sighs and looks at me, “So is your mom serious?”

I look at her wondering how she knew, but still I simply shrug, as I answer, “I’m not sure. It’s hard to tell sometimes. I think she is her dad is sick and she hates to take me out of my college, but I told her I’m doing this on my own as long as I’m back in the next month for my surgery.”

“I thought it was 2 months away?”

“It is, but I want a month there so I can be ready.”

She knows how nervous I am so she simply smiles at me, “So after today you’ll be staying here for another 29 days with your mom.”

I nod my head as she sets down the food.

“So why stay in a hotel with me?”

“I didn't want Jongdae to know that I was going to be living here.”

“Why?”

“I’m nervous. I don’t know what to do when I see him in person. Which by the way did you know our mothers want us to get married?”

She starts laughing, “Sweetie I knew that the second I talked to her about why you don’t have a boyfriend.”

I blush, “did you tell her about my feelings?”

She shakes her head, “I might want to pull a prank on you, but I didn't’ want her to go kaka-kookoo.”

I laugh at that, “True.”

“Sadly I’m supposed to meet with his mother for shopping tomorrow with my own mother. Can you save me?”

“I can come with since they know their way around.”

I nod my head as I look at my friend.

She smiles at me, “I’ll try and protect you, but I hold no promises with them. They scare me.”

I laugh agreeing with her since they can be a bit obsessive.

Two days...

Please wait 3 more days to give out.

Let me Jongdae in person for I can see just how perfect he is.