Chapter Eight

Retrieve

The room was dead quiet after Sungmin had left, the sound of the door slamming shut echoing throughout the silence. The two remaining stared at the door for a few moments before Kangin leaned back in his chair and let out a low whistle.

 

“He’s going to kill you in your sleep,” he said with a lopsided grin.

 

Leeteuk visibly rolled his eyes before turning away, slipping his glasses back on and turning to his laptop. Before he could turn it on Kangin firmly put his hand on the top, shutting it closed. Leeteuk snapped a glare at him, eyebrows raised. “Yes?”

 

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Kangin asked, as blunt as always. Sungmin almost never worked with anyone anymore, much less becoming partners in an operation. As much as he felt guilty toward making Sungmin team up, he was more worried about Kyuhyun. The poor kid might not make it out alive.

 

“Yes,” Leeteuk responded immediately, not a hint of uncertainty in his voice. “No matter how skilled Sungmin is this mission is too important to fail. Sungmin’s a good fighter, yes, but his technological skills are lacking. There is will Kyuhyun will come in handy. He’s a genius, you’ve seen his records, and with their combined abilities they should be able to track the device down.”

 

Kangin absentmindedly played with the pencils on Leeteuk’s desk. “Why not send a larger team?”

 

Leeteuk’s eyes narrowed and he snatched the pencils out of his hand, carefully putting them back into their respective places. “This mission needs discretion. If another organization finds out about the device, we’re going to have a lot of problems keeping it. It’s much too important to lose.”

 

Kangin sighed and scratched the back of his neck, still shaking his head. “But you decided to send Sungmin?”

 

Leeteuk hesitated, gaze traveling down to where his hands were settled on his desk. “Sungmin is a good agent.”

 

“We have many good agents,” Kangin challenged.

 

“But Sungmin is the only one can who complete this mission.” Leeteuk turned away, opening his laptop and pushing his glasses farther up the bridge of his nose. “He’s the only one who won’t hesitate in killing Yesung.” And with that their conversation was over, Leeteuk already absorbed in opening and reading documents. Kangin sighed, hopping off of Leeteuk’s desk.

 

“Alright Teuk, I trust you.” Kangin offered as he stretched his arms above his head. “I guess I’ll go check if Kyuhyun’s still alive.” However with one foot out of the room, he turned back. “Hey Teuk?”

 

Leeteuk looked up, one eyebrow raised.

 

“Get some sleep.” And with that Kangin was gone.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun jumped when the door to Leeteuk’s office slammed open. In the background he heard Luna yelp as her coffee spilled. Sungmin stood in the doorway, face expressionless thought Kyuhyun thought he looked ready for murder. And unfortunately he was staring right at Kyuhyun.

 

For a second Kyuhyun was sure Sungmin was about to pull out his gun and shoot him right between the eyes, but instead Sungmin merely crooked and finger and motioned for him to follow him. “Come with me.” Even from across the room Kyuhyun could hear the distaste in his voice. Sungmin was definitely not a friendly type of person. Without waiting for an answer he strode from the room.

 

Kyuhyun hesitantly stood and stepped after him. “If I die, I think you know who did it,” he said jokingly as he passed Luna’s desk. The girl smiled but even she looked forced. Great, even Leeteuk’s secretary thought he was death row. The mission was already looking up for him.

 

Kyuhyun followed Sungmin down the stairs to the main level, weaving his way through desks and around people. He smiled at any agents he saw but mostly everyone just stared at him in disbelief as he willingly followed the most disliked agent in Organization 7. They made it to the other side but Sungmin turned down the stairs instead of the elevator.

 

“No elevator?” Kyuhyun asked as they passed the metal doors.

 

Sungmin didn’t look at him but he thought he saw the man frown.

 

“Alright, that’s cool,” Kyuhyun said with a hesitant laugh. “I need more exercise anyway.”

 

They continued walking up stairs toward the main lobby. Kyuhyun was tempted to ask where they were going, but he had a feeling even if he did Sungmin wouldn’t tell him. Instead, he took the time to observe the other agent.

 

Sungmin was, to put it simply, very hot.

 

He definitely wasn’t the nicest person Kyuhyun had ever met but he had to admit he was good looking. Though on the shorter side, he was slim and fit and Kyuhyun knew he was all muscle. His face was timeless, with smooth pale skin, large rounded eyes and the perfect m shaped lips. Kyuhyun had known he had been attracted to men for a few years, but most others he had met were either too feminine or too manly. Sungmin seemed perfectly in between, with a slightly feminine image but a manly interior underneath.

 

Though that manly side of him might end up putting a bullet through his brain any second.

 

Everything about him was a mystery. He clearly didn’t talk much, which Kyuhyun hoped to change, but it seemed like most people in the organization didn’t know that much about him either. Everyone did seem to have a negative image of him, which should’ve sent clear signals to Kyuhyun, but he had a feeling there was something more he didn’t understand.

 

Mission or not, Kyuhyun hoped to find out.

 

Before he knew it they had ascended the long flight of stairs and stood at the doorway to the basement. Sungmin placed his hand on the handprint scanner and it opened before them. Their path led into the basement to the office building above them, hosting mostly empty supply rooms that were covered in dust. It was the perfect cover. Their door was just one of many, blending seamlessly into the others, locked so only members of the organization could enter.

 

The two continued up the stairs and into the main lobby. It was magnificently huge, with high ceilings and large screens at every corner that depicted the news all over the country. Businessmen in suits going to work weaved through lines of everyday citizens that were waiting to get train tickets, so Sungmin in his all black apparel and Kyuhyun in his suit didn’t look out of the ordinary. Sungmin however was excellent in crowds and Kyuhyun had to hurry to catch up to them.

 

They made it through the large glass doors, doormen barely sparing them a glance. Sungmin however didn’t pause and turned to the right, continuing down the busy street. Deciding Sungmin wasn’t going to spare any explanation, Kyuhyun followed reluctantly after. He wished there was a way to read minds, it seemed like an easier feat than getting Sungmin to tell him anything.

 

They walked for about fifteen minutes, Sungmin navigating the streets like a pro, leading them farther and farther from headquarters. He finally came to halt at a large intersection, people milling around and cars flying past them. Kyuhyun only just managed to catch up, sliding to Sungmin’s side as they waited for the light to change.

 

“Are you going to tell me where we’re going anytime soon?” Kyuhyun asked, voice low and purposely staring ahead.

 

“Kyuhyun, would you like to play a game?”

 

The light turned green and the crowd surged forward carrying Kyuhyun and Sungmin along with it. “Excuse me?”

 

“A little game I like to call hide and seek. I hide, you seek. If you win, I’ll agree to work with you. If I win, you take yourself off this mission.” Sungmin turned toward him, stopping in the middle of the street, and flashed him the most brilliant smile he had ever seen.

 

Taken off guard, Kyuhyun didn’t move when Sungmin stepped forward, closing the distance between them. He jerked back when Sungmin's hand slipped beneath his jacket but after a small click Kyuhyun realized Sungmin had just unhooked his gun and slipped it up his sleeve. “You have one hour.” His breath ghosted across his neck, tickling his ear. “Come find me.”

 

Then Sungmin slipped into the crowd and was gone.

 

 

 

 

Sungmin sat back, sipping at his lukewarm black coffee. Even though he hated this café, it was a perfect hiding spot. Cheap coffee and busy even at this time of hour. He was situated at the back corner, feet propped up with a good view of the front windows and back door.

 

Sungmin almost sighed. He had given the kid too much credit. It had already been forty seven minutes and fifty six seconds and yet he hadn’t spotted Kyuhyun at all. Maybe his test had been a bit hard, he had the whole city of Seoul to hide in, but Sungmin hadn’t expected him to pass anyway, nor had he wanted to. This was his mission and damn Leeteuk and anyone else to hell if they expected him to work with someone else on it.

 

He had just finished his coffee, about to change locations, when a text came in through his phone. It was from Kangin’s cell phone and Sungmin sighed because he had been expecting it sooner or later.

 

Come back to headquarters, we want to talk to you about your mission.

 

‘We’ obviously meant Kangin and Leeteuk, which Sungmin wasn’t extremely thrilled about. He knew the two were going to try to convince him to work with Kyuhyun, but if Leeteuk wanted him to ‘grow up’, he was going to have to learn to let Sungmin make his own decisions. Which he planned to do whether or not his two bosses agreed.

 

There was only eleven minutes and thirty seven seconds left of their little game, but Sungmin knew Kyuhyun wouldn’t be finding him in that time. Game over, kid, Sungmin thought to himself before crushing his coffee cup and leaving out the front door.

 

 

 

 

Sungmin made it back safely to headquarters without spotting Kyuhyun, though he had been on edge passing through the perimeter. He had been expecting the boy around every corner because it would’ve made sense for him to catch him while he was coming back, but he was nowhere in sight. Sungmin wasn’t sure if it was because he had hid well or if Kyuhyun was still out in town looking for him, but he also didn’t care. He had other things to deal with.

 

He was walking into the waiting room of Leeteuk’s office, mouth open to tell Luna he was there, when he froze mid step in the doorway.

 

Sitting on the chairs lining the wall like he was waiting for an appointment, sat Cho Kyuhyun.

 

“Oh look, I found you!” He exclaimed, grinning. He had a cup of wine in one hand and the television remote in the other. He glanced at his watch. “With two minutes to spare.”

 

Sungmin couldn’t even compose himself enough to correct that there was one minute and twenty four seconds remaining.

 

“So…” Kyuhyun placed his glass of wine down and crossed his legs, a smug look of pride etched into his features. “Would you like to go over the details of this case with me? Or should we play another game?”

 

-------------------------

 

(A/N: Haha Kyu's such a jerk.

Super excited to be updating! Thanks for reading guys! ^^

Also happy birthday to our lovely Sungmin, and congratulations on his marriage! <3)