Chapter Nine

Retrieve

Anger wasn’t a strong enough emotion to describe how Sungmin felt. Livid wasn’t even close. However he was a man of his word, unfortunately, which was how he found himself an hour later sitting in a car with Kyuhyun in the passenger seat driving him insane.

 

“I swear to God if you don’t shut off the stereo I will rip it out of the dashboard and break it over your head before you can even put your feet down.”

 

“What, a cold hearted spy like you can’t handle a little 2ne1?”

 

Sungmin’s finger twitched.

 

“Alright, alright,” Kyuhyun grumbled, leaning forward to shut off the radio. He however did not take his feet off the dashboard. Sungmin glared at him before taking advantage of a right turn and swinging them sharply around the corner sending Kyuhyun flailing against the window.

 

Kyuhyun straightened up, glaring at him. He did however thankfully keep his feet planted firmly on the ground. “Mature,” he said.

 

Sungmin rolled his eyes. “You’re one to talk.”

 

Kyuhyun scoffed before leaning back in his seat, lowering it so he was at an angle. He shifted comfortably into a laid back position and crossed his arms over his chest. “So, you going to tell me this plan of yours yet or is it a surprise?”

 

Even though Sungmin had agreed to work with him, it hadn’t meant that he had decided to indulge all of the information he had. They weren’t a team. Kyuhyun was merely there was a techie to assist Sungmin if he needed technical support. This was Sungmin’s mission. “I do the job, you stay quiet and answer when spoken to.” He stated bluntly.

 

“That doesn’t really sound like a team effort,” Kyuhyun mused.

 

“You know, you’re very bad at this ‘answer when spoken to.’”

 

“I never was, and technically you spoke to me first.”

 

Sungmin snapped a glare at him. “I’m lead agent. You listen to me or you I’m dropping your on the side of the road and you can walk back to headquarters.” He could practically see Kyuhyun just barely holding himself back. Sungmin turned back to the road, he admired the kid’s spirit but too much was going to ruin this mission. “Listen, I got a lead from a previous suspect about a hacker who may have been working on decoding the device we’re here to retrieve so I’m heading to his house.” Sungmin finally divulged, he knew the kid wouldn’t shut up without it.

 

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow when Sungmin didn’t say anymore. “Is that it?”

 

“All you need to know.”

 

Kyuhyun glared and leaned forward, trying to get into Sungmin’s line of vision. “You know, we are a team,” he insisted.

 

“No, we’re not,” Sungmin replied simply.

 

Kyuhyun let out a frustrated groan and leaned back in his seat. “You really need to work on your people skills.”

 

Sungmin responded by slamming on the breaks and sending Kyuhyun flying into the window again.

 

 

 

 

The car ride was very quiet and for Kyuhyun, for boring. Sungmin dodged every advance Kyuhyun made, and he could almost see the walls forming around him. It was frustrating, but it also seemed to intrigue him more. Sungmin was very interesting. Maybe a little temperamental, but interesting. And of course, still hot.

 

After a few hours of driving Kyuhyun had started fiddling with the radio again, wondering if Sungmin could kill him while still driving the car (he probably could), when Sungmin pulled over to a stop. Fortunately, this time Kyuhyun didn’t land face first in the windshield. An improvement. He couldn’t figure out if it was just how Sungmin drove or if he was purposely trying to physically injure him. He had a feeling it was the latter.

 

As Kyuhyun stepped out of the car stretching his limbs he finally seemed to realize where he was. He cocked an eyebrow at their surroundings and turned to Sungmin who was moving toward the backseats. “The beach?” He side eyed Sungmin. “Wasn’t expecting you to be one of those surfer dudes. More like one of those guys that ate surfer dudes for breakfast.”

 

Sungmin unsurprisingly ignored him, instead opening the backdoor and moving some bags that were on the backseat. “You know, I’m not really dressed for this,” Kyuhyun commented, glancing at the casual suit he was still dressed in from work.  “Unless we’re filming a Bond movie. Then I’m totally in.”

 

He thought he saw Sungmin roll his eyes. Instead of answering Sungmin pulled back the seat cushions to reveal a hollowed out secret compartment. Kyuhyun stumbled forward, gaping. “Whoa, that was some secret spy right there.”

 

Sungmin couldn’t seem to contain himself this time because he looked up and gave Kyuhyun the most unbelievable stare he could muster. He opened his mouth but couldn’t seem to get the words out, instead shaking his head in disbelief before turning back to the seat. Kyuhyun peered over his shoulder. Sungmin pulled out a series of flattened plastic bags, one which he flung at Kyuhyun before taking another for himself. Kyuhyun barely caught it before it connected with his face and unwrapped it. It was a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

 

“I think these might be a bit short on me, mate,” Kyuhyun commented, glancing at the jeans which he guessed belonged to Sungmin.

 

Sungmin responded by throwing a hoodie and watch at him which nearly impaled him in the eye. He then grabbed a backpack from underneath the seat and a small dark bag from the bottom of the compartment. Kyuhyun watched in amazement as he pulled out a wad of hundred dollar bills.

 

Kyuhyun whistled under his breath as Sungmin removed five of them before placing the bag back. “Can I have a few of those?” He asked. Sungmin turned toward him, stuffed a five dollar bill his face before turning and walking to the public bathrooms.

 

 

 

 

“I told you these pants were going to be short on me.” Kyuhyun glanced at his backside in the public bathroom mirror, trying to unsuccessfully tug the pants down so they covered more than midway up his calf. Kyuhyun saw Sungmin give him a one over and for a split second he thought he saw a look of amusement cross his face.

 

“Follow me,” Sungmin said instead, striding down the boulevard. In his jeans and hooded sweatshirt Kyuhyun couldn’t really tell his age. He knew he’d been in the Organization for a long time but he didn’t look a day over 20. Maybe he’d ask him later, he was dying to know if he was older.

 

“Maybe he’s a vampire,” Kyuhyun mumbled to himself, following Sungmin down the beach line. Luckily they blended in with the young people who were enjoying the summer sun. “Would explain his hate for anything bright and happy. Like me.”

 

“I would not call you bright and happy. More like annoying and a pain in my ,” Sungmin called over his shoulder. Kyuhyun immediately snapped his mouth closed and followed behind. How had he heard him? Definitely a vampire.

 

They didn’t walk for long. Sungmin led them down a side road into the forest surrounding the beach where they passed numerous unnecessarily large beach houses that seemed to get bigger and bigger as they walked by. Sungmin began to slow and they switched their path into the thicker undergrowth, traveling away from the main road and keeping to the shadows.

 

When they finally reached their stake out location, Kyuhyun had to admit Sungmin had chosen well. They were situated on a hill overlooking the large three story lake house and covered on all sides by thick bushes and heavy overgrowth. The street was too far to be seen and they could make a quick escape down the beachside if they needed to. He glanced at the mansion where the supposed hacker was and couldn’t contain his whistle of amazement. “Damn, maybe I should become a hacker.” The living room was encased in glass and the far wall was covered by a monstrous TV with every game console imaginable. “I mean, holy , he is literally living my dream.”

 

Sungmin shot him a weird look and Kyuhyun gestured to the magnificent house. “Look at that TV! It’s twice the size of me! And my god man, he has the PlayStation, X-box, WII-U, and look at all the games! He has Starcraft, the love of my life. And is that two computers? Holy , he could play both of them simultaneously. He could play with himself. I think I’m in love.”

 

Sungmin had gone very quiet. Kyuhyun seemed to finally snap out of it and turned to Sungmin. “I’m a nerd, get over it,” he said defensively.

 

“I’m not sure that’s going to be possible.”

 

Before Kyuhyun could speak again, and probably embarrass himself, Sungmin interrupted him, situating himself on the ground and pulling equipment out of his backpack. “We’re going to do some surveillance until I can figure out a way to get into that house and talk to his Max guy,” Sungmin instructed, tossing a binocular at Kyuhyun, “So get comfortable.”

 

 

 

 

“This is literally the most boring thing I’ve ever done in my life.”

 

Surveillance must have been code word for boring because all Kyuhyun did was sit on his and watch the guy through his windows. It had been exciting at first, Kyuhyun trying to map out ideas for sneaking into the house had been like a game, but after a day and a half of watching the guy sleep in his king sized bed and play video games all day he had gotten to a point where he was wishing he could just be playing those games in the comfort of his living room instead.

 

Sungmin, beside him, hadn’t graced him with a response in at least three hours. The man was situated comfortably beside him on the ground, binoculars over his eyes as he watched silently. Kyuhyun was amazed, he had the patience of a statue. He wouldn’t have been surprised if the guy was asleep. They had alternated for periods of sleep, but at times Sungmin would leave for hours and Kyuhyun was sure he hadn’t been spending it napping. He was sure of it now, Sungmin was a vampire.

 

“I swear to god if you say another word I am going to murder you,” Sungmin threatened, sounding viciously serious. Kyuhyun didn’t want to push him any farther, he still wasn’t sure if Sungmin was bluffing or not, but he was getting incredibly bored.

 

“This isn’t getting us anywhere,” Kyuhyun complained.

 

Sungmin snapped a glare at him and Kyuhyun couldn’t help but subtly wince. Even though he was enjoying bothering the other, he had to admit, Sungmin could be terrifying. “Then maybe you should be watching instead of just sitting there,” he snapped.

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Then should I try lying on my face like you? Does that help?”

 

For a second he thought he had gone too far, as much as he enjoyed annoying Sungmin he didn’t want a broken nose, but instead Sungmin turned away and got to his feet. He brushed dirt off his jeans and ignored him. “I’ll be back in two hours,” he said, voice cold. “Keep an eye on the house.” Then with that he turned around and walked down the path.

 

 

 

 

After taking a break and getting some of his pent up anger released Sungmin returned lugging a few boxes of take out. He had to admit, even he felt a little guilty at snapping at Kyuhyun, but it only furthered his irritation at Leeteuk and Kangin. The kid was new and it was ridiculous for him to have been paired with him. He couldn’t even do a stakeout peacefully, there was no way this mission was going to work out.

 

However when he arrived back at their location it was empty of one snotty brat.

 

“Kyuhyun?” Sungmin asked, frowning and dropping his bags. For a second he had a worrying thought that someone had kidnapped him, but when he spotted a piece of paper sticking out of his backpack he shoved those thoughts away and quickly grabbed it.

 

Went to go actually do something.

 

Sungmin stiffened before slowly closing his fingers around the piece of paper just like what he would be doing to Kyuhyun’s neck when he caught the kid. He threw the piece of paper to the ground and picked up the binoculars, pointing them toward the house.

 

Max was sitting in front of his unnecessarily huge TV unsurprisingly playing a video game, but what made Sungmin’s heart stop was the undeniable lanky figure that was splayed out in the chair beside him.

 

Cho Kyuhyun.