Chapter Two

Retrieve

 

Sungmin stepped inside the warehouse. It was huge, with tall metal walls and large brown cardboard boxes covering the edges. In the middle were numerous round tables covered in bright colored game boards, chips and money.

 

A gambling house.

 

This one stood just outside of Seoul, slightly isolated in the countryside but close enough for all these rich men to come throw their money away in hopes of gaining a penny. Sungmin found it silly himself, one could never rely on purely luck to win.

 

None of the men paid attention to him. Even though he looked a bit young, he had the look of a rich son of a CEO and raised the suspicions of none.  Just another man there to throw away his life savings in the chance he may get it all back again.

 

Sungmin stepped toward one of the end game tables where a large man was playing cards with four others. He seemed completely confident, grinning from ear to ear and laughing as he played numerous good hands and collected the money. The men in front of him were cringing as they passed their chips forward, reluctantly handing the money, sweat forming on their brows. None of them would leave though; they were all hanging by the hope that they could win it all back in a single blow.

 

Sungmin smiled.

 

“Mind if I step in?” He asked politely.

 

The large man looked up out of the corner of his eye, trying to act nonchalant but Sungmin could see the way his eyes were drawn to the suitcase in his hands. Sungmin smiled pleasantly and held it up before sliding it open.

 

The man’s eyes seemed to bulge at the sight of the money before he motioned for his bodyguards to take one of the men away from the table. He left screaming, telling him he’d do anything for a chance to win back his money. That he had a family he needed to feed, children to care for.

 

The man didn’t even bat an eye.

 

“Sit down, young man,” the large man said, grinning so a gold tooth showed.

 

“My pleasure,” Sungmin smiled and placed a large wad of cash onto the table next to him. “Deal me in.”

 

------

 

 

It had taken the new team almost five hours to secure the field. They had apprehended anyone still inside the building then double searched the rooms and done a sweep of a 100 yard radius around the field. They had currently nine security guards in their interrogation rooms.

 

Taeyeon rubbed at her eyes, a headache forming after such long hours in front of a bright computer screen. She knew the three techies were tired too, if that could be said from the numerous yawns she could hear coming from Henry, but this had become serious. In the five hours, no one had seen or heard anything from Yesung.

 

“Status report,” Taeyeon said, looking at the screen from the camera high up on top of the building, one of the only ones left that had survived the crash from outside. It was not a pretty sight. The field had been completely destroyed, large pieces of grass thrown up in the air, small trees fallen down, debris everywhere. The front glass doors of the building had been blown to bits, shards of sharp glass covering the ground.

 

One mine had been set off first, which had then activated numerous others around the field. It was a miracle Tiffany, Eunhyuk and Donghae hadn’t been seriously injured.

 

Five bodies had been found.

 

The camera zoomed into a very tall man who was waving up at the camera. “None of the bodies can be identified through finger prints, all of them are too badly burned,” Zhou Mi said. He was the forensics member of the organization. It was one of the few times he had been asked to view a crime scene. Their kind did not always walk along the same path as the law.

 

“Taeyeon, I can’t be sure who is who,” Zhou Mi said seriously. “All five of them are similar in height and weight and are all too badly burned to be recognized. I’ll have to rely on dental records, but I’m not sure how that will work out. Yesung was one of ours. He kept things secret and any information that did get out is hard to trust.”

 

“He still is one of ours,” Taeyeon said, determined.

 

Zhou Mi sighed into Taeyeon’s ear pierce and she resisted the urge to snap at him. “We have a video of Yesung near the explosion zone seconds before it happened and five possible bodies.”

 

“Yes, but you don’t have an exact picture,” Taeyeon countered. All of the surveillance cameras had shut off while the explosion occurred but they wouldn’t have been able to see anything anyway with the amount of dust and smoke that had filled the air.

 

“Taeyeon,” Zhou Mi snapped, his voice hard. “Yesung was less than a foot from the first mine seconds before the explosion occurred and we have five bodies that match his height and weight. I’m sorry, but I am pronouncing Yesung was killed while on the job.”

 

Taeyeon took a deep breath, closing her eyes. The room was silent, no one moved.

 

“Alright then,” Taeyeon said, reserved. “Shut it down,” she said.

 

“I’m sorry,” Zhou Mi said sadly.

 

The large screen turned blank, the whole room disappearing into darkness.

 

Taeyeon turned away, head down. “I’ll tell Leeteuk.”

 

-------

 

 

The large man was known as Red, for his luck in finding red cards in his hand. He was a cocky player who shelved out money without a care, laughed, drank and always seemed to have time for the ladies that walked around and handed out alcohol.

 

“Thank you, my dear,” he said, grinning and eyeing the girl’s cleavage as she leaned down to put a glass of beer on the table. He then turned back to Sungmin who was sitting straight in his chair, impassive.

 

“This is no fun,” the man whined, throwing down his cards and seeing that he had beaten Sungmin, thus winning the small amount of money they seemed to be trading back and forth. “Let’s make this a little bit more… Fun.” He grinned and took three large stacks of his poker chips, grinning in Sungmin’s direction and pushing them forward.

 

“How does that sound?” Red asked, smiling deviously.

 

Sungmin sighed, leaning back in his chair. “I guess it can’t be helped.” He motioned toward the dealer and the man dealt them each five cards. Red motioned for him to pick first and Sungmin replaced them.

 

“Call,” Sungmin said.

 

Red grinned before slammed his hand onto the table. “A flush of diamonds,” he said proudly, grinning and showing off his 3, 5, 6, 9 and 10 of diamonds. He reached for the large stack of coins, already knowing the outcome.

 

“Wait a second,” Sungmin said, holding up his hand. The dealer stopped Red from grabbing the chips and Red gaped at him.

 

With a flourish Sungmin displayed his cards on the table, leaving the group gaping at his hand.

 

“Four aces?” Red gasped. “Impossible.”

 

“Actually,” Sungmin spread out the rest of his hand. The whole table seemed to pause in confusion. “Seven,” Sungmin said with a smile, showing off the seven aces in front of him.

 

“What…?” Red didn’t seem to grasp the impossibility for a moment before he jumped to his feet in a flurry. “You’re cheating!”

 

Sungmin smiled and before anyone could move he reached out and with a small knife in hand, made a tear in the corner of Red’s sleeve.

 

Diamonds of all numbers fluttered to the ground, the color like an ocean of blood.

 

“So were you,” Sungmin smiled.

 

Red gaped at him, unable to comprehend what was happening. Sungmin stretched his arms a bit before checking his watch though he knew exactly what time it was. “It seems I’m running out of time, I guess it’s time for me to leave.”

 

Sungmin then pulled the gun from in his jacket, unlocked the safety and shot Red in the chest.

 

The large man fell to the floor, eyes still staring blankly ahead in confusion. Cards flew into the air, falling around him in a sea of red.

 

------

 

 

“Freeze all of his accounts,” Leeteuk said, chin balanced atop the back of his inter wound fingers. “Have his desk and locker cleared out, retrieve his gear and notify his team.”

 

From her spot in the middle of the room, Taeyeon nodded to the director of the organization and bowed slightly. “Yes sir.”

 

“Now, clean up this mess. This mission is closed.”

 

-----

 

 

Two minutes and 3 seconds.

 

Sungmin stretched his neck and wiped the sweat that had formed on his brow, careful not to get blood on his face. He wiped his hand on one of the body’s shirts, fascinated by the way the red took over the clean white and ruined it.

 

It was a massacre around him. Bloody and bruised bodies covering the ground, the gambling tables, a stock pile near one of the doors where the men had tried to run. Useless weapons lay on the ground, metal bats and knives that hadn’t even been able to lay a mark on Sungmin.

 

The waitresses stood out pretty in contrast to the ugly rich men, pretty little things that had just been unlucky to have been working at that time.

 

It was shockingly silent.

 

Sungmin placed the gun back under his coat, the rest of his weapons already on place. The whole warehouse was sound proof and none of the guards had noticed. He still had a minute and thirty two seconds to spare.

 

Sungmin stopped near one of the gambling tables that wasn’t covered in bodies and blood and poured himself a cup of wine from an old bottle. He took a long sip, smiling at the taste, before placing the glass back on the table and walking through the front door.

 

-----

 

A/N: Hello everyone~ I'm back with the second chapter of Retrieve. Thank you all for your interest in my story! :D I'm sorry if things are confusing and what not, feel free to ask me questions and I will try to answer them without spoiling anything!

College is going well, but I'm so busy :( I will try to write more when I have time!

I am getting close to 200 subscribers and I just want to thank you all so much. :) If everything works out I have a surprise for 200 and I will try to get it to you guys as fast as I can! ^^ -hugs for everyone-