Chapter Four

Retrieve

This is it, Sungmin thought to himself, taking another glance at the address in his hand and matching it to the numbers on the old building’s brick walls. The orphanage was located next to a church, a flat building with two levels made out of dark red bricks and stone walls. Laughter came from behind the big fence, childish and innocent, but the front was bleak and quiet, situated on a busy neighborhood where it easily blended into the surrounding houses. A happy world of its own.

 

Bittersweet, Sungmin thought, taking a bite out of his sandwich. He was currently sitting in a small warn down restaurant located across from the orphanage. Though old, it was comfortable and warm and the people around it seemed to just be sitting instead of rushing, so it was the perfect place to keep watch.

 

He had been waiting for thirty two minutes and seven seconds but no one had gone in or out. It was clear this was an orphanage that took kids in, but couldn’t seem to send them out.

 

Just when Sungmin was considering switching posts to keep away suspicion, or at least order dessert, he spotted a young man in a thick dark jacket, sunglasses and a hat walking down the street. Sungmin slowly maneuvered himself out of his laid back position and sat closer to the table, pretending to look at his phone even though no one would ever call him.

 

He was short, about four inches shorter than Sungmin, and a regular weight. Dark black hair peeked out from under his hat and cheap sunglasses covered his eyes. Though it wasn’t too cold out, he wore a thick jacket and sneakers that could easily be for running. In his arms he carried a large box almost as big as himself and was walking straight for the orphanage.

 

Sungmin placed some money on the table before getting up and leaving the restaurant, checking both ways before crossing the street. As he made it to the other side the young man walked up the stairs to the orphanage, placed the box in front of the door before walking inside.

 

Sungmin took the chance and dated out, ducking into the shadows of the entrance. He quickly opened the box, leaning down to take a look at its contents.

 

Five stuffed animals, three leg sets, four board games, a basketball, seven small packets of miscellaneous toys and huge packets of food on the bottom; mac and cheese, ramen, easy bake cookies.

 

Sungmin shifted through a few things, trying to keep them in their places, but found nothing out of the ordinary and closed the box.

 

He was standing next to the stairs, looking through his phone when the door opened.

 

The young man stepped down the stairs, leaving the box on the doorstep. Sungmin noticed he had changed into a lighter jacket, just a hoodie, and left his hat and sunglasses. He had a young face, with large eyes and round cheeks. As he passed he pulled his hood up over his head but Sungmin noticed the small hint of silver in his top left ear before it was concealed by the fabric. When he reached the street he turned to the right, already reaching into his pocket to put earphones in.

 

Sungmin waited seven seconds before putting his phone back into his pocket and following after Kyungsoo.

 

 

 

Sungmin was impressed. The kid really didn’t take any chances.

 

Kyungsoo had taken one hour, two minutes and thirty five seconds to get to his house in what could have taken half the time. He kept walking through large intersects and Sungmin had to stay extra sharp just to keep an eye on him. He almost lost him a few times, considering his height, but Sungmin managed to catch up with him eventually. He was good, he walked inconspicuously, just listening to his iPod and roaming around, never attracting any attention. He smiled if anyone said hi, tried any food that was offered to him, but never stayed in one place for too long.

 

When Kyungsoo exited the busy streets of Seoul and entered into a deeper, more secluded area, Sungmin slowed to allow distance between them, making sure he was kept out of sight. Though he didn’t look it, Sungmin was sure the kid was aware of his surroundings and Sungmin didn’t want to get caught.

 

Sungmin sped up a bit when Kyungsoo turned down a side street. He slowed before he entered, pausing at the turn, before creeping down the alley, staying to the shadows and relying on the sounds of Kyungsoo’s soft footsteps to lead him to where he was hiding.

 

Sungmin turned a corner and for a second he was sure he had finally lost the kid when he saw a door almost hidden in the wall. It curved inward so it was hard to see from afar. It was old and no light came from it, appearing to look almost broken and deserted.

 

He paused a few moments, thirty two seconds to be precise, before pulling out his lock picking kit and kneeling next to the door. Taking his time, he inserted the pick and slowly undid the lock. It clicked open and Sungmin slipped inside without making a sound.

 

The door opened to a dark hallway. It was empty and cold and showed no signs of life but Sungmin continued, taking care in his walk to avoid moving the floorboards. He opened the second door, this one extra thick, and was surprised at how different it looked from outside.

 

The inside was simple, pale greens, blues and creams, with lights covering the ceiling and lighting the whole house. It was small, with a thin hallway that led into a large living room, a bedroom to one side and a kitchen and bathroom to the other. Perfect for a single person to go into hiding. Sungmin continued inside, ears perked for any sound, but the house was quiet, empty.

 

Sungmin checked the living room first, gun loaded and in hand. There was a small TV and a rack of DVD’s on the side and a single chair, but otherwise it was empty. He took a quickly look in the kitchen but it was also unoccupied. He stepped toward the bathroom and opened the door, stepping inside, but it was empty also.

 

He left the bathroom door open before moving back towards the bedroom. He took a deep breath, counting to three, before opening the door quickly and ing his gun in. He dove in afterward, opening the closet and checking under the bed, but ti was empty.

 

Sungmin blinked, looking around. He had checked every inch of the house and he was sure the subject wasn’t in it. For a second he wondered if Kyungsoo hadn’t gone into this house, but he was sure. He hadn’t heard anything outside, he must have come inside.

 

He frowned, thinking, before looking around the room for something that stood out.

 

Then he saw it.

 

The closet at first glance was normal; a small rectangle full of heavy jackets, numerous hats and shoes. As he looked closer he saw the ware of the sliding door, noticing it had been opened numerous times, more than the usual closet. He opened it again as silently as he could and ran his hands along the walls.

 

There.

 

It was a small nick in the right side of the back closet wall. It was small and thin enough not to be noticed but large enough for one to dig their fingers into. Sungmin tucked his fingers into the small indent and pulled.

 

The wall came away with a small click. A door.

 

Sungmin had to give it to the kid. He was a lot better than some of the idiots Sungmin had gone after that were twice his age.

 

He cocked his gun again, listening to the sounds from down the stairs. Through faint, he could hear the continuous clicking of a mouse, tapping of a keyboard and the soft sound of static. Computers. This was definitely where Kyungsoo did his hacking.

 

Sungmin tightened his grip on his gun before stepping through the door and down the stairs.

 

 

 

 

“Leeteuk.”

 

The head of Organization 7 looked up from where he was going over papers, glancing at the small screen that connected him to their forensic scientist. “Yes Zhou Mi?”

 

“Can you come down here please? I think we have a problem.”

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo spotted Sungmin before he could say a word. It was the small flicker in the reflection of the computer screen that had told him something wasn’t right. Kyungsoo reacted before Sungmin could, feet leaving their perch on the table in front of him, jumping forward to press a button on his computer.

 

But Sungmin’s reaction was faster.

 

Upon Kyungsoo’s sudden jerk forward, Sungmin leapt up and grabbed a hold of the hood on Kyungsoo’s jacket, yanking him backwards and throwing him out of his chair. The keyboard in his lap went flying to the ground, the wires yanked out of the computer.

 

Kyungsoo scrambled for the computer screen, reaching to press a few buttons, but Sungmin slammed his boot down on his wrist. Kyungsoo yelped, jerking back, but Sungmin grabbed him by the front of his shirt and lifted him up harshly before throwing him into the chair.

 

“Have a seat. We’re going to have a little chat.”

 

 

 

 

Leeteuk stumbled backwards, leaning heavily against one of the metal tables. “What?”

 

“I’m so sorry Leeteuk, I don’t know how this happened. I should have realized this sooner-”

 

“Get Taeyeon and Kangin,” Leeteuk said, still seeming shocked. “Now!” He snapped when Zhou Mi stood in front of him wordlessly. Zhou Mi nodded quickly and exited the room, going for the phone in the main office.

 

Leeteuk ran a hand through his hair, letting out a long sigh. This was… Quite a change of plans.