Chapter Six

Retrieve

“Sungmin’s back, sir,” Luna announced, opening the door to Leeteuk’s office.

 

“Send him to Zhou Mi,” Leeteuk said, gaze settled intensely on the piece of paper in his hands. He didn’t even look up.

 

“Yes sir.” Luna paused before leaving, casting a worried glance at the director. “Sir, are you alright?”

 

Leeteuk let out a long breath before looking up. “No, Luna. I’m not.” Emotions flickered deep in his eyes before he looked down again.

 

Luna waited for him to say anything else before nodding, murmuring an apology before quietly closing the door.

 

 

 

 

“You’re to report immediately to the forensics office,” came the voice of Leeteuk’s secretary in Sungmin’s ear piece. Sungmin couldn’t quite remember her name, she was one of the newer staff, and those type didn’t seem to like him very much so he didn’t bother. He just grunted in response before walking to the stairs. It had taken him five hours, twenty three minutes and sixteen seconds to get back to the headquarters and as soon as he stepped into the building Leeteuk’s staff was on him telling him where to go without pause. Whatever he wanted to say it must be very important.

 

Sungmin stepped through the main level, noticing that the number of agents had gone back to normal after the funeral, and down the stairs to the lower level.

 

 

 

 

Kyuhyun walked through the hallways of the lower level of Organization 7’s headquarters, head bent over a large folder in his arms. Finishing the page he was on just as he turned a corner he closed the folder and glanced up. Spotting another agent, one he recognized as Donghae that had been in Yesung’s team, he waved and started to walk over.

 

Just before he opened his mouth however he turned to see what Donghae was looking at. It was a young man, on the shorter side, though Kyuhyun couldn’t help but notice he was highly attractive. He looked incredibly young, dark black bangs dipping over one eye and contrasting with pale, smooth skin. At first glance, even Kyuhyun had to admit he was cute. However, he didn’t recognize him, though that could be explained by the extremely confused look gracing his face.

 

He must be new.

 

Deciding to be a nice guy Kyuhyun walked over, hands in his pockets and an easy smile on his face. “Hey, you look lost,” he said with a smooth voice as he approached the young man. He was turning up the charm because really, this guy was hot. “The name’s Kyuhyun,” he said, sticking out his hand.

 

The man glanced down at Kyuhyun’s outstretched hand before looking back up at his face. Because he was shorter he had to look up a bit, but he didn’t be intimidated or bothered in the slightest. His face was blank, looking more bored and uninterested than anything; the innocent confusion on his face only a few moments earlier having disappeared. “I am,” he said bluntly and Kyuhyun cocked an eyebrow at his tone. “Which way is the forensics office?”

 

The smile on Kyuhyun’s face had turned more amused than anything as he lifted a hand to point to the left hallway. “Down that way then turn left. Use the door on the far end; any of these doors lead to Zhou Mi’s room, but he hates when people use anything but the main door,” he said lightly.

 

The man barely blinked before giving a curt nod and starting down the hallway.

 

With a curious look, Kyuhyun followed after.

 

 

 

 

Sungmin sighed, head pounding. He hadn’t been in the lower level in years and all these damn intersections were giving him a headache. Everything looked the same.

 

Sungmin remembered, years ago, being led through these same hallways without pause, the man leading him knowing each inch so well he could navigate it with his eyes closed. Sungmin remembered meeting the resident forensics officer, remembering the young man being fondly introduced as Seasonings, a nickname only one person called him…

 

And then that silly boy, what was his name? Oh right, Kyuhyun, had come. Sungmin was still a bit surprised he had even spoken to him, though Sungmin didn’t recognize him at all. No wonder, he must be new, he hadn’t heard any of the rumors yet.

 

And now, for some reason – Sungmin turned around and glared, eyes narrowing and meeting Kyuhyun’s surprised face – the kid was following him. “What do you want?” He asked, not bothering to keep the tone of annoyance out of his voice.

 

Kyuhyun raised his hands in surrender. “I’m just going to the forensics room too,” he supplied, a small grin on his face.

 

Without bothering, Sungmin spun around and continued walking, quickening his pace a bit. He knew he should be at least a bit more polite, but Sungmin had had too many unpleasant experiences with field agents and this one in particular was making him uncomfortable.

 

Sungmin was counting time again, forth two seconds, forty three, when he finally arrived at the door of the forensics room. Without pausing he pushed open the door and walked inside.

 

“Thanks for holding the door!” A cheery yet sarcastic remark came from behind him. Sungmin paused, turning around, the time flying from his head. He frowned at Kyuhyun who gave a cheery wave from where the door had just closed in his face.

 

Still unsure of what to think about him, Sungmin decided to ignore him and instead walked into the main computer room. It was a large square with huge machines that Sungmin had no idea of the names at every wall, all lit up and whirling away. Two computer screens side by side were switched on in the middle of the room, flickering through finger prints and attempting to match them to suspects. A tall man stood over a metal table, glasses perched on the end of his nose. On the table were two cameras and a third that was in pieces. The man was bent halfway over the table, nose almost touching the counter as he used tweezers to connect the pieces.

 

At the sound of the door closing, the man straightened and turned around, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. “Hello there, Sungmin,” Zhou Mi, their forensic specialist, said in a light tone. Sungmin just nodded in response, at least glad the other man hadn’t remarked at how long it had been since he had seen him. “Something seems to have occurred with your case,” he said, leading him over to the computer screens. Sungmin always appreciated Zhou Mi’s business like attitude.

 

“Ah, Kyuhyun.” Sungmin turned and saw Kyuhyun standing near the door. “Could you possible take a look at the video cameras?”

 

“Sure thing,” Kyuhyun said with a quirky salute and walked over. Sungmin blinked, slightly confused. Maybe he wasn’t all that new if Zhou Mi was asking him for help. Or maybe he was just smart.

 

He turned back to Zhou Mi when the other started speaking again, focusing on the mission. “This computer screen shows all the chemicals that I found at the detonation scene,” Zhou Mi explained. The screen was black with a graph view of a series of multicolored lines that varied in length. “Nothing appeared out of the ordinary, it showed the chemicals of the bomb and traces of human flesh.” Zhou Mi then picked up a stack of papers on the table and handed them to Sungmin. “Until I found this.”

 

The papers were profiles on potential victims with Yesung’s on top. Sungmin noticed his was shorter than the others, just simple information that was too broad to be incriminating. He flipped through the rest of the stack which listened the rest of the workers at the compound. Those marked with red in the corner were those possibly in the attacked, which was than narrowed down more.

 

Before Sungmin could ask what this meant, Zhou Mi handed him another sheet. It was a chemical graph with an explanation underneath.

 

It only took Sungmin a second to notice.

 

Blood types:

A+, A-, B-, O+

 

Yesung was type AB.

 

 

 

 

Sungmin was unnerved.

 

Leeteuk could tell that perfectly from the way Sungmin had stormed into his office without even knocking and was now currently pacing in the middle of his room. “You’re scaring my secretary,” Leeteuk commented with a light voice. A scowl crossed Sungmin’s face before he kicked the door behind him closed, ignoring Luna’s surprised yelp.

 

“Why don’t you take a seat,” Leeteuk offered.

 

“Screw that,” Sungmin snapped harshly, walking forward to Leeteuk’s desk and slamming his hands down on the table. “Yesung’s alive?”

 

Leeteuk noticed that Sungmin was confused and worried and he had a right to be. Yesung had been their best agent, a natural leader. His team was dedicated to him, would risk their lives to save his, and almost everyone at the agency liked and looked up to him. He had been there for years, even before Sungmin, and even before that he had experience at another agency. He was an expert; smart, sharp and amazingly talented. He was good, much too good.

 

Leeteuk took a moment to take a deep breath, rubbing the sides of his temples. Yesung was their best and to have their top agent turn on them should have never happened. No one expected it and maybe that was the worst part. “Yes, we believe so.”

 

Sungmin’s gaze darkened and Leeteuk knew at that moment that this was no longer about Yesung. This was about Heechul who had done the same exact thing ten years ago.

 

“I have a mission for you,” Leeteuk said, brushing away any lingering emotions that may have been displayed on his face. Sungmin’s gaze locked onto him and Leeteuk could see the inner turmoil behind his eyes, the familiar look of pain, sadness and betrayal that he hadn’t seen in years. “We believe Yesung faked his own death during the mission on the compound to steal a device from us.”

 

Sungmin seemed to snap back to reality a bit, his gaze hardening and resolve slipping back in place. “What device?” He asked, turning his head to look at the wall behind him.

 

“A very important one,” Leeteuk stated, refusing to share any more information. Sungmin didn’t needed to know; all he needed to do was do his job and retrieve it. Sungmin seemed to accept this, he had for years, and didn’t ask again.

 

“It is your job to locate Yesung, retrieve this device…”

 

Leeteuk’s pause caused Sungmin to turn back to him, their gazes locking. Symmetrical looks mirrored in their eyes, a hard, determined yet almost painful stare.

 

“And kill him.”

 

A small fake smile appeared on Sungmin’s face, the corners of his mouth curling up in contrast with the dead look drowning in his dark eyes.

 

“Consider him dead.”