Make Sure He's There

Destructive Satisfaction

Taemin's POV

What was I supposed to do? Ignore Onew? I don't even know what I was thinking yesterday when I agreed to this. It's just that I couldn't think with the way he was looking at me.

Okay.

Calm down.

You only have to worry about it when you see him, he's not here yet.

"Taemin~" As much as I wanted to believe that was anyone else I knew it was Onew. So what did I do? I sped up. I probably looked stupid practically jogging through the clustered hallway but I was honestly pretty scared.

If Key caught me talking to Onew....

Yes, that would be bad. Key was very unpleasant when he was angry.

Stupid. I'd even slipped and told Key I knew they were cousins. If I already knew that then it wouldn't be that terrible if I knew about their past and why Key hated Onew so much.

AH.

I felt a hand grab onto my shoulder, I'd slowed down quite a bit overthinking this. The strong hand pulled me around so I faced a confused, and slightly out of breath, Onew.

"Taemin, are you okay?" He eyed the bruise that was half hidden by my hair.

"Onew..." Just cut it off fast. "I don't think we can be friends anymore."

"Wha..." Onew gave me a look of disbelief as he slid his hand off my shoulder before composing himself. He shook his head and spoke with authority, "If this is about Kibum I won't accept it."

"It's just that..." I started, hoping to get interrupted by him so I wouldn't have to explain. But he was listening too intently and I just ended up fading off.

"You care more about Kibum than me?" Onew gestured to his chest. "What has he done for you?"

"H-He... I just... There's not..." I stumbled over my words, unable to say anything that fixed the problem. I was so confused right now. I honestly didn't know who mattered more to me.

"Taemin... If the final decision is right now, I have something to tell you." Onew said seriously. I hadn't noticed that the halls had cleared; late again. I directed my attention back at Onew.

"I don't think I'll be able to-" I was cut off.

"I like you." Onew's gaze burned into my eyes with sincereity. i was afraid he'd say that. Of course, I never seriously considered it. I couldn't handle all of this.

"Onew..." I mumbled and shook my head, looking to the ground beneath me.

"I need you, Taemin." His words were too honest compared to Key. What did this mean?

"I promised Key." I said quietly. I chose him. There was no way he'd let me go back on my word. All I could remember was they way Key kissed me the previous day. Didn't that mean something too?

"You really planned to go on like that behind me back?" Onew had a hint of anger in his tone, assuming everything correctly.

"I didn't think it would be like this..." My voice was getting quieter with each word.

"I..." Onew laughed to himself softly and rubbed the back of his neck. "I actually thought I meant something to you."

I didn't reply. I couldn't, afraid I would say the wrong thing.

"But I guess knowing my name isn't exactly a sign of affection." He continued coldly before brushing past me to class.

This was supposed to be good. This meant that I had succeeded in asking him to break off our friendship. But I didn't feel like I had won. I felt like I'd lost something.

He did mean something to me.

I just wasn't able to say it at the time.

But did I like him like I like Key?

No.

But I needed him too.

Maybe it's better like this. I mean, I can't exactly get along with both of them. Even if Key is a little harsh and violent. I can help him. Onew only has one more year. He can make it alone. Right?

Key's POV

"Jinki's here." I heard Minho mumble lowly beside me.

My eyes immediatley found the door which he had just walked through, making his way to his seat. It made me more than suspicious that him and Taemin were both late. And Jinki was the only one who had shown up...

"Do you think he's the one who told Taemin?" I leaned into Minho and whispered.

"Who else?" He replied.

Even Minho knew that it would be bad if it spread around the me and Jinki were related. The whole school knew that it was my fault everyone disliked him. Imagine if they found out I'd brought this kind of life to my cousin. They wouldn't look nicely upon that fact.

I guess it's better than them knowing what I'm most ashamed of.

"Kibum." Minho didn't look up from his paper. "If you're dating Taemin... How will they be kept a secret from the school?"

Right. They school would think I was gay if that was found out.

"Only Jinki will see it." I already had this all planned out. "And he, of course, won't say a word to anyone."

"He might..." Minho glanced at me. He actually thought Jinki would have the guts to tell people I was dating Taemin. No. Even if he told everyone they wouldn't believe him. They just would think that he's trying to get back at me for sending everyone out to get him.

"Oh, right. Nevermind." Minho shook his head as if he'd just read my mind.

"Taemin and I are going out tonight." I announced to Minho. I stood up as the bell rang and grabbed my books, "Make sure Jinki is there."