6 - Surprise, Surprise

Memories of Lost Love: Kai and His Siren

KOREA - PAST - 2011

               Because Exo was nearing their debut, Kai barely sees his girlfriend for he and s were always called for teaser shoots and pictorials. At the same time Kai was busy working hard to finally get his dreams to come true, Saerin also worked as hard as her boyfriend does. Now that both of them were busy, they don’t have time to practice their routines together anymore. Because of that she practices dancing in the morning. Su Jeon and the other girls were suspicious to know that she dances so well now all of a sudden, as if her dance moves were a carbon copy of Kai’s foot works.

                Because of their great envy with Saerin, they waited for her after rehearsals outside SM building. It was already dark and Saerin was afraid she’s sensing danger. She was right for Su Jeon and her army of s got on her way.

              “Oh, hi girls. Are you coming to the party as well?” Saerin said cleverly, hoping that the idea will distract them.

             “What party?” Hyewon said, a friend of Su Jeon.

              “Oh, It’s my birthday! Didn’t you guys know?” She said truthfully.

              “Tempting, but we’d rather pass” Su Jeon said stepping closer to her.

Oh, no would she shave my head now?

                “Wow, Su Jeon, you really look beautiful today!” Saerin said noticing that Su Jeon’s feature got different. Even her hair was different, it was blonde.

                “Yeah, she is, you dirty . She had her eyes done, you should get yours too because you’re too ordinary for this company already”

                “Shut up Hyewon, you’ve done enough talking for tonight!” Su Jeon said.

                “Oh, no thanks, I prefer to look natural. I’m more comfortable this way” She said ignoring Su Jeon.

                “You’re really getting on my nerves you western . Tell me, how’s our deal? Are you keeping your word on the bargain?” Su Jeon demanded, grabbing her by the collar.

                “Yes”

                “You’re lying” She retorted.

                Before, Saerin would’ve let the bullying pass, but now that she’s with Kai, she couldn’t just let Su Jeon ruin everything they went through for her. Not this time. “Why, do you have any proof? Because you know it’s not my fault you and you’re friends care more about looks rather than the things happening around you. So if it really is true that I’m hanging out with Exo and Jongin-ah, then it isn’t your goddamn business to in.”

                “So you really admitting it!?”

                “Wow, Su Jeon, you are so blonde.” Saerin said in English. She could anticipate what would happen next but when Su Jeon tried to grab her hair, her saviors arrived on time.

                “Saerin-shih”

                She heard Kyungsoo’s voice and Su Jeon abruptly let go of her. The Exo members appeared one by one, though they’re only 5 of them, namely, Kyungsoo, Luhan, Suho, Tao and her boyfriend. She assumed that the rest of the members were already at the old house stuffing themselves with food. She just wondered why Tao bothered coming with his hyungs. It’s just so not him to come for her over something so important like food and pizza.

                “What’s going on here” It was Kai. He was obviously annoyed.

                “O, Kai oppa, we were just asking her to be nice with Su Jeon. She was very mean to insult her appearance tonight.” Yoon Hae said defending her Unnie.

                “I didn’t know that the word ‘beautiful’ is mean, nowadays.” Saerin said looking at her fingernails.

                “See that! She’s even talking back. What a brat”

                “Oppa, How was your photo shoot?” Su Jeon spoke as if he’s the only boy who was there.

                “Saerin-shih, are you okay?” Kai heard Tao speaking to Saerin at the back. He turned back to see her answer and she nods. She looked at him and smiled, like it’ll actually convince him nothing had happened.

                “Su Jeon was bullying her again.” Luhan whispered to Kai. Apparently, he was videotaping the whole scene so that they can report it to the President. 

                “Kai?”

                “The photo shoot went well Su Jeon. My friends and I got praised pretty well actually… “ He said. “All thanks to that girl you were bullying, we managed to leave a good impression with the press.”

                “Bullying? What – “

                “I’m only asking you this once Su Jeon, or the friendship we build up will all just be over.” Kai said with a stern look. “I don’t think I need to repeat what I said… because the moment I find out that you’re bullying Saerin… or anyone else in SM…” Kai warned showing Su Jeon Luhan’s videocamera. “The evidence will not only get to the President…so do us a favor and leave her alone. Okay.” He smirked and turned around. He went to Saerin’s side and mouthed

“Sa – rang -  hae”

                Instead of answering him back, to annoy him, she stuck her tongue out.

                “Merong” She said.

                He was about to attack her when Su Jeon called out to them and said.

                “Don’t think this will end here Searin Jo. You know the consequence of this… You should know better the friends you make Oppa.” She said and then turned to leave.

Saerin sighed and turned her head away from her friends.

                “Aren’t you coming?” She heard Kyungsoo called. They were already by the far end of the street.

                She nodded and smiled at him. She will definitely tell him tonight; even if there’s a chance she’ll ruin everything.

England – Present – 2019

                Chen, Sehun and Luhan witnessed Saerin slapping Kai. All of them knew Kai messed up big time but they couldn’t really blame him per se. Fame is a big thing, and sometimes when it gets too much to handle, it gets to a person’s head. They all admit fame did a great deal of good things for them, there’s the sponsorship, the fans, the attention… It can make you feel like a king who rules the entire world without caring for anything or anyone.

                They didn’t know what to do. They didn’t know if they’ll comfort him or just let him think. Kai and Saerin’s break-up five years ago really shocked them. It surely affected everyone. The aftermath was worse, for they didn’t know who Kai was slowly turning into. Without Saerin, it was like he lost his direction. They knew their friend never admitted it, but all those scandals were all just a plot to get her attention. It nearly broke the group apart.

                 Ever since Saerin got back, Kai was slowly beginning to express his feelings again. And that’s a good thing, but what Chen, Luhan and Sehun just witnessed, left them thinking that Kai’s chances were on the slumps.

                 “Maybe we should lock them up again” Sehun suggested.

                 “That’s way too cliché. Besides, I think I got a better one. Come on” Luhan said.

                  “There he goes again with his ideas.”

                All of them looked at each other. They went towards their friend and told him about an announcement.

                Later that night, there was once again an after party which was now hosted by YG himself. Everyone who was present at the concert was invited and of course, Exo never missed these kinds of things.

                At their table, Sehun, Luhan, Lay, and Suho were all playing beer pong. It was really getting late, and the boys were feeling a bit tipsy when they spotted Big-Bang’s great G-dragon and TOP.

“Hey you!”

Suho and his friends looked at Sehun who was shouting at GD and TOP.

                 “Uh, Se-“

                 “You, the one with the Turkey Blonde Hair!”

                 “Sehun! Don’t –“

                 “Suho Hyung, I got this…” Lay said putting his arm around the maknae. “Dude, we can totally beat these guys”

Suho rolled his eyes and placed the ball on Lay’s hands.

                 “Don’t say I didn’t try to warn you. Luhan, let’s go and find Kai”

Luhan obeyed his Hyung and patted Sehun’s shoulder. When the two of them had gone, Sehun faced Kwon Jiyong and Choi Seung-hyun.

                 “HEY! I’m still calling you Turkey Blonde Hair and Buff Guy!”

                Jiyong pointed a finger towards himself while Seung-hyun was giving them a look.

                “Yeah you pretty boy! I bet We can trash your asses  in beer pong!” Sehun challenged, and GD and TOP laughed. “What are you laughing at? You think I can’t” Sehun said, his voice slurred because of the alcohol.

                GD and TOP whispered at each other before coming to Sehun and Lay’s table. TOP pulled his jacket of, while GD popped his knuckles.

                “Bring it on Cookie Face” Seung-hyun said.

 

PAST – Korea – 2011

                 Her birthday celebration was like a loose party. Everyone was having a good time. It’s great to see your friends come together for even a small celebration. Her friends from YG were there as well. They came late though.  She was watching Lalice try her luck on Kyungsoo, but the guy was greater than a rock. She was hanging by the bar where Moonkyu’s serving alcoholic drinks. She was never a drinker for she swore before the Statue of Liberty that she wouldn’t drink a tinny drop of alcohol because she’d seen people do worse things because of it. She doesn’t want to end up like them. She was refusing Moonky’s offer when she felt someone’s hands on her waist and that someone kissed her cheek. 

                 “Hi Miss” Kai said naturally.

                 “Oh Hey Kkamjong” She giggles and she and Moonkyu high fived. Kai’s best friend smiled at the both of them.

                 “If you’ll excuse me, I think I’m gonna throw up” Moonkyu said joking.

                 “Whatever. Find yourself a good girl then.” Jongin said shaking his head. When Moonkyu left, Saerin turned and put her arms around his neck.

                 “How’s my girl doing? Are you enjoying your party?”

                 “A lot. You haven’t given me your present though, or did you even buy one?” She said teasing him.

                 “Aish,  I did forget! Man, how irresponsible of me.” He said kissing her forehead.

                 There was a loud noise coming from the dance floor. Apparently, Chen, Chanyeol and Suho were having a riot. They were tossing a Gucci bag while Tao was chasing after it. The girls were afraid they were to break anything.

                 Saerin and Kai were watching all of this when Kai turned his face on her. He cocked his head on the side signaling her to go take walk with him outside.

                  Out on the street, the two of them walked side by side. It was so natural to do these things with him. However, her time was running out and she hoped to spend more time with him now more than ever. They aren’t usually the typical couple who does PDA but for now Saerin made the first move and held his hand. She felt him smile at her.

                  “I’m cold” She blushed.

Kai smiled and held her hand tighter.

                   “How was your day?” She started.

                   “It was okay.” He nods. He started swaying both their hands.

                   “I was chosen to represent iness for the group by the way.” He continued. Saerin chuckled and stopped walking.

                   “You?”

                   “Yeah”

                   “Daebak! I can’t believe it. Jongin-ah you’ll do great.” She cheered. He looked away biting his lip.

                   “Thanks. But honestly, I can’t really see myself…you know…y.” Then she gave him a weird expression. “What? I think I wouldn’t be able to pull this off Siren. I think Lay Hyung is more fit for it than I do, or Luhan Hyung”

She rolled her eyes at him.

                    “OH, there you go again. You. Can. Do. This. Man up!” She patted his shoulders with both hands not so gently. Then she grabbed his hand again and they walked down along the street.

                     “They give this job to you because they believe you’re the perfect guy for it, okay?” She said. “And for the record, to me, you are the iest.” She saw him beamed at her, she almost laughed out loud at his childish expression. “Just shut your mouth and keep yourself on the dance floor”

His face suddenly turned sour. To her surprise, he pinched both her cheeks hard.

                      “You always know how to surprise me.” He said. He knows she hates it when he pinches her cheeks. “But now, I hope you’d be surprised as well.”

                     She followed him walk towards a phone booth. She saw him get something inside. Her jaw dropped when he came out with a big bouquet of yellow roses with a Patrick Star stuffed toy on his other hand.

                    “Um, so I guess I should greet you now huh?”

She still couldn’t believe he was planning on surprising her despite his busy schedule. She just stared at him in amazement.

                     “Happy Birthday Saerin-ah.” He smiled showing his perfect teeth.

                     He walked towards her and gave her his present. She received it gladly and looked at him. If she were a cartoon, her eyes will probably turned heart shaped in so much admiration for this guy.

                     “What do you think? Is Patrick Star too much?”

                      “Can I please hug you first?”

Saerin didn’t wait for him to answer. Instead, she went and attacked him with a big bear hug.

                       “I can’t thank you enough for making this the best birthday ever.” She said tearing up. “Oh…Aish, I’m not usually like a cry baby but I blame you for making me feel like this Oppa. I hate you.” Saerin laughed and cried at the same time.

                       “Why do I get the feeling that you’re not telling the truth Siren.” He remarked, holding her tight.

Saerin pulled a bit from their embrace and looked at him.

                         “You should know better that I don’t always mean what I say. I’m a girl, I like to play mind games and I have a lot of feelings.” She said staring at his chocolate eyes. She stared at them for a moment. She was thinking of how to tell him the truth in this kind of situation. Then he interrupted her train of thoughts when he said,

                       “Yaa, are you just gonna stand there and stare at me? How about my kiss?” Kai complained and pouted.

                       “Tch. Such impatient behavior.” She sighed. She hooked her right arm with the stuff toy around his neck and finally kissed him.

                        Right after Kai gave his present to Saerin, the both of them returned to the house and danced with their friend the whole night. The celebration ended at 2am in the morning. Before their friends left, they managed to get the house cleaned and they returned everything to place. Though it was fun, Kai and Saerin was left to sleep in each other’s arms.

                         It was 10 after 4 in the morning when Saerin felt numbness on her particular arm. She slowly opened her eyes and finally awakens. She pulled away from Kai’s hold and gazed at his handsome face.

                         “Jongin-ah” She whispered enough for him to hear. She pushed his bangs away from his forehead while she continues to call him.

                        “Mmmh” She heard him groan. “Let’s sleep more” He said shifting position. His arms going around her waist.

                        “I’m leaving.” She finally confessed.

Snore…

                        “AISH! Yaa, PABO WAKE UP!” She yelled hitting him with a pillow.

Kai lazily yawned and got up to sit. He looked at his watch and laid his head on the head board.

                        “Siren, it’s 4:15 am. This better be good.” Then Kai’s expression light up. “Wait, you’re not actually…You want to do it???”

                        “What?” Saerin said clueless about that thing. She hit him harder with a pillow again when she realized he was talking about an intimate act between couples. “YAAA! erted Kkamjong, what kind of girl do you think I am? Aish, Jinja!?!” She calmed herself and put the pillow down. She shifted closer to him and slump her shoulders on the head board of the bed. “I said I’m leaving.” She sighed and looked at him.

                         “Saerin, it’s 4 in the morning. What can’t wait?”

                        “No…”She laughed and grabbed his hands. “Jongin-ah, I’m leaving SM”

Her last two words really got his attention. He practically jumped on his seat.

                          “What?”

                       “Listen to me, remember that time when you heard me and Su Jeon talking about a deal?” Kai nodded. “That wasn’t entirely about you.” Her grip on his hand became tighter as she felt his stare got sharp on her.

                       “What are you not telling me Saerin-ah?”

She sighed and continued.

                       “First of all I want you to know that wherever time will take you and Exo, you’ll always have my heart. I told you already that before I met you I was someone without any concrete idea how life was suppose to be. The people behind my back always tell me what to do and it made me weak to know that I don’t get to pick the decision. Then a crazy idea came to mind and I made a deal with my Uncle…” She paused and took a deep breath. “ I told him to let me train at SM and it was good because he agreed but his terms claim that it’s only for a year. Since he’s Yang Hyun Suk, President Soo Man granted the contract then”

                        “Wait, you’re Uncle is Yang Hyun Suk??? Please tell me he’s not the YG?” Saerin made a face as Kai muttered a curse.

                      “But you haven’t heard the best part, SU Jeon tricked Soo Man to think that she was YG’s niece not me.”

                      “WHAT!?”

Saerin explained the audition thing and the switching of papers.

                       “You – oh – wait – so – OH GOD” Kai was shaking his head glaring at her. “I’m dating the possible heir of YG.” He finally managed to say. “Wow, this is…this is too good to be true. What if your Uncle kills me because he doesn’t like me? And Bigbang?” Kai squinted at her. “They’re the big oppas you’re always telling me about right? They didn’t know, right?”

She nodded again. Kai had his palms on his face as his back fell on the bed again. Saerin was surprised when she heard him chuckling.

                        “Are you mad?” She asked.

                       “Oh Saerin-ah you are one crazy girl. Of course I’m mad. But can I really blame you? If you hadn’t lie and pulled that risk I won’t probably come near you. Heck, the sound of your name alone will scare the males around SM if they knew beforehand who you are. But then again…” He paused and smirked at her.

                       “Then again what?”

I’d probably still like you from afar. Kai thought.

                       “Then again, Exo will still like you because you’re so chubbyyy!” He said pinching her cheeks again. She slapped his hand away.

                       “YAAAAAAA!” She roared and he laughed.

                       “But the damage has been done and I’m already head over heels in love with you. So I couldn’t care less even if you’re the daughter of North Korea’s Prime Minister. I’m sorry but you’ll never get rid of me that easily.” He said, his tone serious and sincere. Her smile went wide and she attacked him with a big hug.

                        “Now can we go back to sleep?”

She smiled and closed her eyes only to open them again.

                        “Jongin-ah?”

                        “Mmm”

                        “Nothing…I forgot” Then she smiled devilishly and got back to sleep.

…………………….

                         The next day, Saerin told Kai she’d be off first to her dorm to pack. But the truth was, she purposely got off early to go to SM and to fix the mess Su Jeon created. When she heard that the President had tuned in, she entered his office and opened the door like a brat.

                        “Saerin Jo? What is it?” The President said frowning. He put down the telephone and started writing some papers.

                       “I’m Yang Hyun Suk’s niece”

                         Lee Soo Man stopped his movements and faced her. Saerin called her uncle. Of course he’ll pick up.

                        “Hey Uncle, Yes this is Saerin…Saerin Jo not Su Jeon Kwon…Just a friend I made here. Yeah, sorry about that Uncle…Yes, I promise to call more often…I know…okay…O -  Uncle, guess who I’m hanging out with today?...I’m with Mr. Soo Man. He said he wanted to greet you…yes, I’ll put him on.” She said, and then she bit her lip – a habit she developed from Kai – and held the phone towards SM.

                         After YG as SM’s conversation ended, SM turned his chair to face her.

                         “I’m really sorry for keeping this from you. I know I should’ve told you earlier but..well it was complicated.”

                         “Tell me Miss Yang, How complicated?” The President called her by her real last name.

                          “Do you have the time to listen to a teenager’s feels?”

                         “Well, Try me”

………………………………………………………..

ENGLAND – Present – 2019

                    Suho and Luhan were still looking for Kai when their eyes found another distracting view. As expected, Sehun and Lay lost the game to GD and Top. The two dongsaengs were now doing Ssanti dances as consequences on the middle of the dance floor.

                    “Tsk. They never learn do they?” He heard Luhan said. Then finally he found Kai entering the bar. Luhan told him about the scene with Saerin by the dressing room. Man, he’s definitely still whipped for her. He was glad to find him still sober. Maybe that slap finally wakes their friend back to his good senses. “There he is. Come on – “

                    “Wait” Luhan stopped him. For by the counter across where Kai is, were Saerin and Jimin laughing and chatting with each other.

 

                    “Aish. You talk to Saerin-shi, I’ll talk to Jongin”

 

*Next chap is on the way :DDDD Hope you like this chapter guys as well as the gif