4- Dance God Weakness

Memories of Lost Love: Kai and His Siren

Korea ~ Present ~ 2019

                 Dinner last night went well. Kai was inside his room thinking about her. It’s like nothing changed except the fact that Saerin wasn’t his anymore. When they were dating exclusively, they used to eat out with EXO and her friends from YG and he can still remember how his friends teased them by locking them both inside comfort rooms and stuff.

                 He stares at his phone longingly as her face on the picture seems to calm him down. It was a picture of the two of them inside the studio when he was helping her with her dancing. They were lying on the floor, their heads positioned across each other. It was different back then, like they have their own world. His thoughts traveled back to the past at the time the two of them knew they started liking each other and that what he felt for her started to went passed friendship.

2011 ~ Past ~ Korea

                Kai knew he should stay away from her, but he couldn’t help being close to her. One night, they found themselves meeting inside the studio once again. He can’t put a name on it but he was glad she asked him to be the one to teach her about dancing. Since that night, he and Saerin always meet up at the Rehearsal Studio to practice dancing. They were now at their 10th night and he was glad she was able to catch up with him easily.

                  “How ‘bout you pick the song this time?” He asked smiling at her. She looks so cute with her ponytail on and pink sweat pants.

                  “Really Jongin-shi? O…hmmm, I want ‘Replay’” she said beaming at him.

                  “Okay, ‘Replay’ it is.”

He heard her sigh and said,

                      “Minho Oppa looks really handsome in that MV”

                      “Yeah, so is Yoona Noona” said Kai who was now having second thoughts about “Replay”. Then, he heard her unlady-like laugh and scowled at her.

                       “You think Yoona Unnie is handsome?”

                      “Whatever. Do you want to learn this or not?” He snapped. To be honest, he didn’t know where that came from. Maybe he just doesn’t like her complimenting other guys…besides him???

He shook his head from stupid thoughts.

                        “Anya, anya” He whispered to himself controlling his thoughts. He looked at her and found her staring at him, her forehead creasing a frown. He kept his cool and faced her.

“ehem, let’s start…Hana, tu, se”

                       Step by step, Kai taught her each move. While teaching her, he noticed small things. He noticed that her lashes were long and that her skin is pale and delicate. He also noticed how she wipes her tiny beads of sweat along her neck. From day one, he found himself observing her more but this time it’s a little scary because he was staring to think about things that he shouldn’t be thinking of. For example, Replay really has a few hip movements. Looking at Saerin, he couldn’t help but think of how y she can get whenever the song will reach into the Chorus. Another, her scent is so sweet like a cotton candy and every time she would turn, he’ll get a whiff of it and he’ll wonder what it would be like to embrace her or maybe even kiss her. 

He was watching her dance alone when he realized that the song’s already finished seconds earlier. He was so amazed by her that he didn’t notice the time.

                   “JONGIN-SHI!!” yelled Saerin.

                        “G-w-k-good. You were great” He stuttered, standing up and wiping his face with his towel.

                        “Really, I thought I was horrible. I kept messing up with my freestyle.”

                        “It’s okay. You’ll get better soon, promise” He said monotonously. He drank his water till the last drop.

                    “Let’s call it a night shall we?”  He said facing the mirror and stretching his arms. From his peripheral vision, he saw her drinking her water bottle. Wow, she even looks hot drinking the water. He abruptly focused his thoughts on the competition later. He reached for his phone and texted his Taemin Hyung.

                         “um, Jongin-shi…”

                         “Yeah?” He said pretending to be busy texting Taemin when in reality he couldn’t even form a word upon hearing her calling him.

                         “I’m sorry to barge in but, when I saw you that night when you injured your shoulder…you didn’t get it from here didn’t you?”

                          He bit his lip and looked at her.

                         “So? What if I really didn’t get it here?” He challenged. He saw her shook her head, tucking her hair behind her ear. His voice getting harsh.

                          “What’s it to you anyway?”

                          “Nothing.” She said forcing a smile at him.

                    “Ok. Goodnight then.” He knew he was being rude. It’s not because street dancing was a secret – truth is, Dance Machines from other companies knew about it and that it was some sort of requirement – but it’s because he doesn’t want to get too close to her. He felt like he should put a barrier between them for every time they would meet, it’s so natural that the only thing missing were labels. He doesn’t want to admit and he wouldn’t want to risk it. He knew he said that if he met a girl that is worth the trouble, he would date her no matter what. But now that he’s slowly getting convinced that Saerin was that girl, he was turning into a coward. Maybe it was better this way.

He heard her footsteps slowly fading when she stopped and faced him.

                          “Just take care, will you!” She snapped angry at him and walks quickly out of the room.

………………………………..

                           The Street Dance battle ended without any one getting hurt. Last time, his best friend Moonkyu got into a fight with someone who turned out to be an amateur dancer from an underground gang. The two got into arguments and before he knew it, the guy pulled out a knife. He helped his friend and upon dragging Moonkyu away, the knife went to his shoulder wounding him. Nobody knew the real reason behind his injury except for Moonkyu, Taemin, Henry, Eunhyuk and the EXO. When he went to the clinic to get s, he did not expect to see her. But despite everything else, he was glad he got wounded. For one reason that he got to hold her close – not to mention the appropriate skinship they shared - was a price he was thankful for.

                          Taemin won the dance battle against himself for the first time because Saerin kept occupying his mind. He and Taemin would always make bets but it never happened that they would fight over it. For them dancing was something that binds them not divides them. Music was still playing a song called “Let me Know” and everyone started to leave. He was staring at nowhere when Moonkyu sat beside him.

                            “That was a nasty defeat my friend” his friend shook his head.

                        “Yeah I know. That guy is a machine; I wouldn’t be surprised that one day he’ll be abducted by aliens because he’s too much for this planet to handle. No scratch that, I badly wish for a girl that can make Taemin Hyung kneel down to his knees. Man, I’d love to see that, just imagining it, is priceless.” He said picking a stone and throwing it back to the pavement.

                          “I heard that Jonginnie! You’ll get your revenge next time.” Taemin laughed punching his shoulders and went to get his bag and leaves. Kai knew Taemin was busy for tomorrow was the start of Shinee’s international tour. He shook his head and continues to pick stones.

                            “You my friend are in big trouble.”

                           “What? How can you even say that? I was just – I’m not feeling the vibe tonight.” Kai scoffed, finally giving up on the stones. He heard Moonkyu sighed as the latter stood up.

                           “Ya, Kim Jongin, we’ve been friends since eternity and for as long as I can remember, your Dance God level never failed to feel the “vibe” not since this evening. Unless of course the reason is…hmmm, you’re not, by any chance, dating anyone at the moment are you? Because you know, I wouldn’t tell, just tell me who she is? Is she pretty?” Moonkyu said, asking more questions that are Rated R. Kai stood up and laughs. He pushed his friend away.

                                “I am not dating anyone Moonky and to give you the benefit of the doubt, I’m still a .”

His friend made a face like he was even disappointed.

                               “Aish so weak. Then, if it’s not that, surely, you like someone. I can tell, don’t you dare deny.”

He didn’t because he just smiled.

                          “Let’s go back Moonky” He said and walks away from his friend. He doesn’t want to talk about Saerin to his friend because he was just honestly guilty about what his behavior had been on the rehearsal room.

                                “Is it Su Jeon?” His friend said pushing his luck.

 Why didn’t I like Su Jeon instead anyway? Why do I have to be more interested in Saerin when Su Jeon was more of my  type and we knew each other longer?

Kai asked himself.

                          “No, it’s not her. I can’t tell you anything right now man. There’s really nothing to tell. This girl is just a passing interlude or whatever” He said turning on his back again.

“Now let’s go before anyone comes along”

                                 “Chh. Passing Interlude. Well, I’m getting into the bottom of this.” Moonkyu said to himself for he knew that no girl has ever made Kai lose his focus especially when it comes to dancing.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

                       The next morning, it was a free day and Kai went to school. He decided to drop by at SM town when he saw Su Jeon and the other trainee girls talking to Saerin on his way, he didn’t mean to eavesdrop but he really need to just for the heck of it.

                        “….Just stay away from him and I’ll promise you that you’ll have a peaceful life at SM” Su Jeon said smiling and putting a firm face. He saw her push Saerin’s shoulders. It took a lot of control for him not to go and in.

                        “Fine. But don’t you think that you’re the one who’s supposed to be scared? Because the moment that my uncle finds out, this will get to the President and I assure you…” Saerin faced Su Jeon closer, her eyes tearing up.

“He will not blame this on me.”

                     He heard Su Jeon laugh without humor. It never occurred to him that this girl, whom he once thought can be a good girlfriend, can threaten someone like Saerin. And what were they talking about in the first place?

                         “And what? You think he’s gonna punish me for your mistake?”

                       “No, but it’ll be the end of you.” Her words seem to catch Su Jeon off guard. But what Saerin said next bother him than the whole conversation combined.

                        “I’ll stay away from your Kai and the rest of EXO. Just keep your part of the bargain”

                       Hearing her say that name made him angry. It’s like she was referring to another person when she said his name ‘Kai’ and that she’s disgusted with it. What was happening? Would she really stay away? What about night practice?

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

                       Kai went to rehearse that night. He didn’t want to admit it, but he was actually waiting for her to show up. He already practiced 3 songs and she’s still nowhere present.

She wouldn’t really do that would she?

                        “Aish, really Saerin-ah? What the hell is going on?” He said to himself. He took his shirt off and got himself a towel to wipe off the sweat. He was currently wiping his face when he heard a faint cough by the door.

He was dazed for a second when he saw her standing. She was really pretty even with her boyish way of clothing. He got over his trance and said,

                           “Oh,…you’re late. But anyway, we can start on the second verse.” He stated, and got his extra sleeveless top and put it on.

                           “Um, Jongin-shi…I’m not here for practice” She said reasoning out.

                           “Huh, don’t be silly…You badly needed practice” He tried to joke with her. But he can see her hesitate.

                           “To tell you the truth, I just came here to say I’m sorry. I know I’ve probably gotten on your back the last time we met…and I really don’t want to leave things like that…”

He looked at her and was troubled by the sad look on her face. Saerin was always cheerful and bright. It was weird to even see her look this way.

                           “Hey, it’s okay…and besides I should be the one apologizing. I was rude and I’m really sorry” He said stepping closer to her, placing his hand on her shoulders.

                            “Tch, that’s nothing and I forgive you…it’s cool.” She said trying her best to smile. But he wasn’t fooled by that because her smile doesn’t have a glow on them like it used to have.

“So, shall we practice?”

                              “I- I can’t, not anymore. I’m sorry, school’s really getting hard these days, plus I really want to have a shot in this University…”

                             She said while looking down on the floor. She was a bad liar and he knew it. Saerin may look delicate and fragile but the thing that he and Exo liked about her is that she’s got spunk. When she’s talking to people, she’s always looking at them straight in the eyes.

                               “I just – actually – Honestly, I came here to tell you goodbye. It was really nice working with you”

                              He was mad, he knew this was all about Su Jeon and her gang. He wanted so much to grab her and shake her senseless just to tell him what’s going on, but all came out was just a simple…

                                “Okay…”

She nods and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

                                “Uh, Saerin.” He called to her before she exit to the door.

                                “Yes?”

                                He wanted to ask a lot of things, but what the hell, he will just get into her business. Maybe the two of them were just better off with this: Not getting involved with each other.

                                “Will you be okay?”

                               She was slightly taken aback. She held her tears back, maybe he doesn’t really like her like she likes him after all. Her crazy friends once told her that a guy is really interested if he asks questions about her day or what’s troubling her. So far, Kai wasn’t really interrogating her. Maybe they’ll be better off with just this.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

“Ok. See you around.”

 

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

 

                    And true enough, Saerin avoided them like a mob to a plague because even at lunch time at the cafeteria, she’ll find a seat with a couple of girls without even saying “Hi” to them. She doesn’t even go to practice with him during the night. It’s been going on for weeks now.

                      “What’s wrong with Saerin-shih?” Sehun said out of the blue, eating an apple while looking at Saerin and her 2 new friends who he assumed were newbies.

                         “What could be the matter? Hey, Jonginnie, did you perhaps told her that you knew that she has a crush on you?” said Suho.

                         “Huh?”He said pretending he didn’t hear him.

                         “Forget him. I smell something fishy…and it’s not Xiumin’s feet” said Luhan eyeing Kai suspiciously.

                         “HEY, who do you think you are? You’re feet smells too!”

                         Kai stared back at Luhan who was giving him death glares but his focus was caught yet by another person. His friend Moonkyu sat beside Saerin and they both shook hands. He didn’t know what happened and his head felt like all his blood went up there and then Sehun broke the ice; like, literally smashed it with Tao’s hands.

                          “Yaaa, Saerin-ah!!!” Sehun shouted. Chanyeol put a hand on Sehun’s shoulder but Sehun pushed his hand away and turned his back on them.

                           “Jinja?” Sehun sighed and shook his head. Chanyeol was about to follow Sehun when Kai stood up and stopped him.

Kai saw Saerin drop her head on her hand refusing to look at them.

                          “I got this.” He wiped his mouth with the table cloth and followed Sehun. He glanced towards Saerin and gave her an accusing look. He saw his friend stand up but he couldn’t care less about him or Saerin or the both of them together because right now, Sehun needs him.

He found him by the stairs.

                             “Hey man. What’s up?” He started and patted his friend on the shoulder.

                            “I’m sorry, I was a little upset. I thought Saerin Noona liked me but then again, how childish of me. How can a girl as beautiful and perfect as her can even like me? And why is she like that? Why is she ignoring us?” Sehun said and looked at him.

                             “You know Hyung, you’re lucky, because, Saerin Noona crushes on you. It would really feel great if the girl you like is crushing on you too. I think I’ll just have to tell her that I’m sorry I did that, oh, I feel so stupid, why did I do that? Right. I’ll go back there-“

                             “Sehun-shih, you don’t have to do that. You didn’t do anything wrong trust me. Look if it’s any consolation, I’ll help you with her.”

                                  “What?”

He didn’t know what came to him that made him said that. He just knew that what Sehun was feeling was exactly the same as his

                                  “Hyung, what ar-“

                                  “I’ll help you. I’ll help you get her; I can talk to her for you. Promise.” He said smiling at him.

                                  “Are you sure this is okay? I mean, if you’ll say you like her It’s –“

                                   “Like Her??? Pfff, where the hell did you get that?”

                                   “I don’t know, all of the members like Saerin-shih” Sehun explained innocently. Kai was slowly getting annoyed.

                                   “Well, I don’t – Saerin is – I’m not – Look, she’s not even my type.”

                                   “But it doesn’t mean you don’t like her”

                                    “Do you want my help or I’ll leave you here weeping?”

                                   “Ok Hyung, here’s the thought: If I’d accept your help, can you promise me that you won’t make a move on her because you know it would really be awkward if you’re helping me with her then it’ll turn out in the end that she doesn’t like me at all and maybe that’s because she likes you instead. You ever thought about that?” Sehun said his lips pursed and his brows frowned together. It’s as if he’s measuring Kai’s patience.

                                    “Yes of course… I promise” said Kai, his right hand on the left of his chest. Saying those words felt like forcing his lunch from earlier to come back out from his stomach to his mouth.

                                      “Ok. I’ll see you later then. Thanks”

                                      “You’re welcome” He said. He sighed when Sehun left and faced the other side when Luhan’s figure surprised him.

                                      “What the- mother-“

                                    “No. I’m the handsome Luhan. And what was that Jonginnie? You know you shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep.” Luhan said without any trace of humor in his words.

                                   “Look, whatever happened between you and Saerin shouldn’t affect the whole group. I can’t help but think you’re only making things worse Kai.”

                                     Kai looked at his friend. Luhan was sincere and he knew that he’s only concerned about Exo and the group’s solid friendship, but he couldn’t let a girl ruin it, could he?

                                        There was a long silence occurring between them when the girl who turns their world upside down was walking down the stairs. He and Luhan exchanged glances. Saerin smiled at them but that smile didn’t reach her eyes. Kai noticed her eyes were a bit puffy. Did she cry? She was ignoring them so good that he couldn’t take it anymore. He grabbed her wrist and turned her to him not caring whether Luhan is watching or not.

                                          “Look, whatever your problem is; don’t take it on all of us.” He heard her her breath. He noticed they were too close they were almost hugging.

                                             “I don’t know what you’re talking about”

                                             “I heard you the other day. You’re deal with Su Jeon.” Kai said watching her face turn in horror.

                                             “H-how-“

                                            “It doesn’t matter how, but just stop being selfish already and start to think that there are people here who truly cares for you who – as childish as it sounds - are hurt because you’re ignoring them. So please Saerin, if you really are the girl whom Exo treated as a friend, you would consider this favor and just…just avoid me. I know that it’s because of me and I’m sorry but don’t do this to my friends.”

                                         Kai heard someone’s footsteps followed Saerin and he saw Moonkyu’s figure on his peripheral vision. He finally let go of her and watched as tears came rolling on her face.

                                             “Um, it’s not that okay. It’s just – You won’t understand. Even if I try, you wouldn’t because you just don’t care. You say that I’m selfish… Am I really the only one?” She said her voice shaking.

He fought the urge to pull her to an embrace. She shook her head and found himself reaching her face and wiping her tears.

                                               “Saerin…”

To his surprise, she pushed his hands away.

                   “This isn’t anyone’s fault… so please whatever you’re planning…just don’t.” Saerin shook her head and put on a firm face. She turned around and ran downstairs. He looked at Moonkyu and from the looks of it, he knew now who his mystery girl is. Moonkyu then followed Saerin and told him that he’ll talk to him later.

He faced Luhan who was grinning at him. He was having second thoughts about chasing after Saerin or just to let it pass.

                “Aish…I told you so. You are making this worse. It’s so obvious you two. You always eye-f*** each other. I hate this…Oh I miss the weekends…”

                     Kai knew what he was talking about. On the weekends, Exo, Saerin and Yoon Do Yeon(The girl who dumped Tao who was befriended by Saerin by the use of punk music) spends fun unlike any ordinary teens. Saerin would let them visit an old house which according to her was her Uncle’s property which was left under her care. In that house, though not so big, was every teenager’s dream. It was full of entertainment and vintage props seasoned actors and actresses wore back in the days. It was practically like a big walk in closet where there are musical instruments, recording equipments and Game Consoles. There was Wii, Ps4 you name it. Kai thought he’d never leave that place ever again. It’s like candy land for them. Sometimes, when they get so happy, they would get out, wear wigs and go to MyungDong dressed like idols. It was inevitable to have the paparazzi mistaken them as famous singers.

He realized it’s not just about that house that made them entirely happy. It was because of Saerin. Now there’s a girl who walks with sunshine behind her.

                       “…I’m sure you miss your nights with her too” Luhan said surprising him. It was his turn to give a sharp look.

                       “Yep, I knew you two sneak out to practice together. I have eyes all over this place.”

                      “You didn’t by any chance take those tack cameras in that house didn’t you?” It was Kai’s turn to get suspicious, his eyes getting smaller.

                  “HA! Well that’s none of your business. Talk to Saerin-shih and fix whatever you two damaged.” Luhan turned around and he heard him say,

                      “Oh, I miss that girl. Now I have no one who’ll pretend to be my girlfriend every time I get out and party” Luhan sighed.

                    Could it be that Saerin was helping his friends on their own problems without him knowing? He noticed that ever since she came, Tao became comfortable with girls, Kris became more expressive, Xiumin learned to be self conscious, Chen was becoming more confident on the dance floor, Lay finally finished something, Luhan… Luhan is finally becoming manlier! Looking at Kyungsoo, like Chen, his singing was better because his letting go of his insecurities. Suho who at making jokes was now obsessed with Humor Books whom he saw Saerin lending them to him. Chanyeol was still Chanyeol and as what he heard, Chanyeol was speaking to his father again. Baekhyun, who was a little selfish, became selfless yesterday when he gave a cookie to his dog but regretted it at once and Sehun…Sehun is in love with the girl who’s starting to make his heart beat in a really complicated way…

                                                …………………………………………………….

                      Days passed and they continued to treat each other as ghosts. He noticed that Sehun finally made a move on her and the group was willing to cover for them. Saerin was back with her own self, talking to his friends again. As for Su Jeon, he decided to keep his mouth shut about what he discovered. Their lives went back to normal, and as promised, trainee life at SM was peaceful.

                        It was lunch break, and everyone is getting ready for the SM Town Concert. The trainees were also busy for they were tasked to help the idols to be their back up dancers. He was on his way to his friends’ table when he saw her. When did she become so beautiful and why does time suddenly feels so slow every time he looks at her?

                      He was looking at her laughing with Luhan, Kyungsoo and Xiumin from a distance. It was so frustrating to see his friends have fun with her. Life was so unfair that he couldn’t even make her laugh the way his friends are doing.  He was smiling to himself while staring at her when Kris and Suho sat beside him, interrupting him from his reveries.

                          “What a beautiful view my friend” Suho said smiling gleefully. Kai rolled his eyes. His friends knew he was deeply in love with Saerin and yet they never let him forget it for just a tad second.

                         “I agree, the day is full of sunshine and undeclared love don’t you think Big Mama Suho?” Seconded Kris. There they go again with their silly Mama-Daddy nicknames.

                          “I’m assuming you two were tired of looking after your Baby Tao and you decided to torment me instead anyway.” Kai said bluntly putting his arms around his two big brothers.

                            “You’re right. When will you finally come to your senses Kkamjonginnie!” Kris said.

                        “Yeah! I really don’t get you at all. That girl is practically a gemstone so rare and precious and you did what??? You let your chance slip like PffffffffffffffF!”

                              “I don’t know. Why are you guys telling me this? Didn’t you forget about the dating ban?”

                             “Dating ban my !” Kris said in English.

                             “O, THE PRESIDENT!” Suho pointed to their right.

                             “OMO! Let’s go!” Kris scowled when he saw Kai and Suho’s evil grinning faces.

                             “Aish! Come on you guys. That’s not funny”

                              They were all laughing like silly when Saerin called and bid them goodbye. Obviously, not looking at his eyes. Suho and Kris waved at her. Kai just smiled at her even though she’s not looking at him.

                            “But seriously Jongin, the dating ban isn’t the real deal here. Because you know, if it makes things better for you, I bet it’s worth the risk.  Just don’t get caught. I mean, Soo Young Noona and Siwon Hyung, who else, Donghae Hyung and Jessica Noona dated back in their trainee days and they all managed to keep it on low tabs. And what did it do to them? A Healthy Relationship that has a tight Security!” Suho said smirking.

                              “Man, I don’t even know why you guys are giving me an advice”

                              “BECAUSE YOU’RE OBVIOUSLY FALLING IN LOVE WITH HER!”

                              “Aish, so dense!”

…………………………………………………………………………….

                The next day, he felt himself swallow as Saerin was coming on his way. Her smile faded at once. He realized how expensive her smile is nowadays. She passed by him without even a glance when he realized how stupid he was for letting his pride took over him. Here was a girl who confidently admitted her admiration for him to his friends, who helped his friends to get his attention and more importantly sacrificed for him.

                  He learned through Moonkyu that Saerin told him that Su Jeon knew about the underground dance battles. Though his other dancer friends knew about it, the management didn’t and it can be called illegal if they were caught doing it especially at night without permission. Apparently, Su Jeon threatened Saerin that if the latter keeps on hanging out with him, she’ll expose Kai to the President. Though it was reasonable, he felt like it was more than that. Because why else would Saerin get under Su Jeon if it’s only about his dancing, besides, Eunhyuk was caught by the President himself once and he was punished but it wasn’t at all that bad. It’s just, it’s too impossible. But then, maybe she really just loves him that much.

Oh, Whatever.

                    He turned and looked back at Saerin who was talking and laughing with Sehun. He was happy and hurt at the sight of them together. He told Sehun that he couldn’t be loyal to his promise and that he lied about not liking her. Sehun was okay with his confession, the guy even hugged him saying that whoever he likes, Saerin or not, he’ll still be a brother to him.

                    “Hyung!” He heard Sehun called him. He also noticed Saerin’s face getting blunt. He walked towards them. They were choosing what kind of salad to eat for lunch.

                  “Hey.” He said glancing at her. She was always there to avoid his glances. His chances were suddenly getting low with this girl. Oh, now what? He’s flipped? Is that what’s it called?

              “Here Saerin-Noona, Hyung’s an expert at this aren’t you Hyung? I’ll leave you two, President is calling me.” Sehun said smiling mischievously at him. What did he miss?

                 With Sehun gone, all that was left was a big fat silence. And that is the biggest er, sometimes even worse than Luhan and Moonkyu combined. He saw her shift uncomfortably, opening and closing not sure of what she has to say.

                  “I think I lost my appetite.” She muttered without looking at him. Then he saw Su Jeon approaching and he just couldn’t stand Saerin get hurt because of him. Without any words, he took her hand and pulled her closer to him.

                      “Crab is the best, don’t you think?” He said moving his face closer to hers. Her face turned bright red that it made him smile wide.

                     “You know when you do that, you just make me want to kiss you” Kai unintelligently whispered.

                   “COUPLE ALERT!” And just as he expected, his friends were there to humiliate them. All eyes were suddenly on them. He shut his eyes and muttered a curse.

                    “I’m dating all of them, what’s the big deal right?” Saerin said smiling to everyone, raising her hands, trying to convince them that Exo was just annoying her. Finally, everyone get back to what they were doing

                        “What was that?” Saerin said when Exo cornered her.

                       “We thought it was fun teasing you guys” Luhan said.

                       “Oh yeah? Well it ain’t funny to me. Please don’t do that again” She said and walks away leaving the Crab salad on Chen’s hands.

                                ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

                       That night was special for all of them for it was SM Town concert. As trainees they go backstage and observe. The concert was successful and there were fireworks that decorated the raven sky. Kai watched as it changes from one color to another.

                        Aish, tomorrow I’ll see her again and it will be the usual cold feeling with her. When will this end? What if some guy is already taking a liking on her? What if Luhan seriously made her his girlfriend? Oh man, I don’t have a chance with Luhan Hyung… I might as well just make a deal with him, or set him up with a really attractive lady. Ugh, what to do?

He thought. He was stressing out when he heard footsteps. It was probably Kyungsoo.

                         “I’ll be back just give me 10 more minutes.” He said, not looking at his friend

                         “Actually, they all left”

He suddenly felt his heart flutter 3 times a second when he heard her voice.

                 “Oh”

                 “Yeah”

Silence again.

                  “About-“

                  “So-“

They both said together.

                   “Oh, you first”

                    “No you”

“You go ahead” Kai insisted being stubborn. She held both her hands together and looks at him.

                    “I just want to be completely honest with you Jongin-ah and tell you that I’m sorry. These days have been so hard I just can’t ignore you much long” She said her voice trembling.

                       “Well, you know what they say about me, I’m hard to ignore” He tried to make her laugh. Though she did, it was only a little.

He watched her smile and frown the next. Silence passed again he thought she wouldn’t say anything but,

                       “You wouldn’t believe if I told you I’ve completely fallen for you wouldn’t you? I know this sounds creepy and I know the other girls have probably done the same thing and confessed but… I like you… since I saw you dancing on the playground at school, you see we’re classmates in elementary school; everyone thought you were weird and troubled because you always prefer to be different. You were always an introvert but you seem the opposite whenever you dance because you’re obviously passionate about it. I started to take an interest in you when you helped your sister carry her grocery bags on the bus, I know you’re the type to snob girls who follow you around but you really have no match against your older sisters…” She smiled recalling the memory.

                       “Then you entered SM and,… wow you finally got cast! I thought you could be my inspiration and you did because when I watched your dance rehearsals online… I decided to follow my heart and went through the tedious auditions, then I got in and then you saw me and you finally talked to me. You even saved me once. We even had secret practices together.” She laughed. She was holding back her tears, thinking that maybe after everything that she said, all of those friendship she built with him will all crumble.

                     “I’m sorry because I can’t hide this anymore. I know you’ll probably ignore me because of this but I love you. There.” She said laughing and at the same time crying.

I love you.

He was still shock. Is it possible for the world to just be like a video clip so that he can rewind and hear her say those words again?

               “Wow that felt really good.” She sighed smiling. He still hadn’t moved an inch.

               “Saerin-shih.” He said when he recovered.

               “Yes?” She was nervous again when she heard him call her name.

                “You do realize that what you just said could change everything?” Kai was hiding a smile, any sign of bluff and he’ll lose his calm and pull her to him.

              “Y-yes”

              “And you do realize that you’re action were inappropriate and unprofessional?”

               “Yes”

              “Then would you do me a favor so that everything will finally have a solution?”

               “Y-yes”

               “Okay”

               He walked closer, glad that she was leaning on the edge of the catwalk. He smiles sweetly and trapped her by his arms pressed against the edge of the pavement.

               “Don’t you know that you just agreed to be my girlfriend?”

He smiled as he watched her face turned pink.

                “You – What?-“

                She never got to finish her sentence because the kiss happened so fast she just felt him doing it. She was finally getting into it with her arms around his neck when Luhan and Kyungsoo busted them out with a cough.