10 - Match Making

Memories of Lost Love: Kai and His Siren

KOREA – PRESENT – 2019

                                Saerin couldn’t believe she’s going to visit the place she thought she’d never go back again. The night they arrived at Korea from England, her Uncle was very much keen on talks about the record deal she has with Universal Music. And wouldn’t you know it; turns out her Uncle can surprise her even more when he said YG’s pairing up with SM. She couldn’t remember how she ended up agreeing. Right now she was driving to the place where it started it all. She looked at the time and discovered that she was already 10 minutes late for the meeting.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

                                Meanwhile Saerin wasn’t the only one running late. Because Kai couldn’t stand jet lags, he woke up late on purpose. He was already driving to SM headquarters when he saw a kid getting picked on by the other bigger kids. He knew he was late yet, he chose to make a stop. If there was one thing he couldn’t stand, its bullying.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

                                When Saerin arrived inside, she saw Lee Soo Man, Boa, Suho , Sunny and some other business looking people inside obviously annoyed at her for making them wait. She was supposed to attend the meeting with her Jiyong Oppa but unfortunately Bigbang had other commitments in line.

                                “Sorry I’m late… Please Ms. Jung…” She gestured at Krystal as she made her way to her seat. Krystal Jung continued talking in front discussing some points with everyone. 

                                “Ehem.” Krystal coughed looking at Saerin awkwardly blaming Kai about involving her with the both of them. “So… as I was saying, FX isn’t compatible with any of the YG groups. No offense Ms. Yang but professionally speaking I think SNSD sunbaenims go well with Bigbang. I suggest why not have the newbies go with Winner? I think they’re more apt with YG’s style.”

                                Soo Man nodded and Boa cut in. “But I do think FX is compatible with Winner. I think the way they contrast to each other makes it more interesting isn’t it?”

                                “I…” Saerin tried to make a suggestion but somebody cut her off.

                                “She’s right. And Krystal, I think you don’t have quite a choice because we’ll be pairing up with them. Boy group to girl group.” Sunny said.

                                “But-“ Saerin tried again unsuccessfully.

                                “I think FX should go with Winner. They make cute couples plus I think the fans would love the combination.” Soo Man’s assistant butted in.

                                “Woah, Hold up before I start to lose my temper, you people aren’t the only ones present in this room.” Saerin interrupted obviously annoyed being ignored. “Please don’t make it too obvious that I’m an outcast here because even though I am, I hold the record deal and I make the decisions. My voice counts the most in here.” She eyed Soo Man and the former smiled at her apologetically. “Okay. It’s not just about the physical thing here. I mean you’re right.” She pointed at Boa. “But the thing is, Winner’s personality is really…unique and to be frank… You guys wouldn’t want to work with them.” She said looking at Krystal.

                                “What makes you say that Ms. Yang?” Boa said.

                                “Don’t get me wrong Boa Sunbaenim, but these girls - they’re classy…they’re talented and they’re very high fashioned…” She explained tapping her fingers on the table. The other members present in the meeting were getting fascinated by Saerin’s insights. “I’m just saying…they’re too much for Winner. I’d bet on my life this concert would end even before it’ll start.”

                                Suho chuckled and managed to cough it away as the others looked at him.

                                “So SM Town, here’s the thing…since I made it clear there’d be rumble with FX and Winner, why not pair Exo with Winner?”

                                “Are you suggesting they’d sing together? But that’s impossible. Everybody knows they’re enemies! Plus they’re too many.” Boa retorted.

                                “Perhaps Winner and Shinee?” Saerin said shrugging her shoulder.

                                “No. Shinee isn’t even here” Krystal defended.

                                “Then SNSD with Winner?”

                                “We’re already paired with BigBang” Sunny said.

                                “Great.” She rolled her eyes.

                                Suddenly all their attention shifted to Suho when he raised his hand.

                                “How ‘bout Winner and Sparkle? And Exo with Pink Punk?”

                                No.

                                That was actually Saerin’s first thought. But even if she’s not in favor of his suggestion, she couldn’t make herself disagree. In fact, that was the best choice to settle the problem. She knew it beforehand but she was just not comfortable working with her ex. She doesn’t want to admit it but the moment Kai said those 3 words to her again…the past came coming back. Clearly, it even haunts her in her dreams.

                                “That’s okay.” Boa nodded as she agrees with Suho’s suggestion. “I think the new girl group would suit Winner and their personalities seem to match. What do you think Ms. Yang? Are you in favor?”

                                Saerin looked at SM because right at the moment, they both know what’s going on in each other’s mind.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

                                Kai managed to shoo away the big kids with his charm when he got to them. He watched the small kid wipe his tears with his small hands. He got down and squatted to get on eye level with the boy.

                                “Hey kiddo. What’s up? Are you okay?” Kai was surprised for the kid recovered fast. He looked the kid in the eye and noticed the stubborn look on his face.

                                “I didn’t need any rescuing! And what are you doing here? Didn’t I tell you to leave me alone! I can handle myself. Do your job well” The kid yelled at Kai surprising him.

                                “My job? And what is exactly is my job?” He said amused.

                                “It’s obvious. You’re one of my dad’s hired baby sitters! Stop asking for questions and leave me alone. I was having a good time with my friends why did you have to come and ruin everything.” The kid yelled again.

                                “Ahh… so those are your friends. Say kid, those guys are way big to say that your even friends with them.”

                                “What do you care! You don’t know me.”

                                “Arraseo, arraseo. Tell you what… I’ll buy you that if you promise me you’ll never going to hang out with those friends okay?” He said pointing at a toy helicopter.

                                “You’d do that?” The kid said obviously warming up to Kai.

                                “Yes, I would. I promise. Your turn.”

                                “I promise…Wow. For a baby sitter, you’re pretty rich.”

                                “Oh not much. Sometimes, I just get lucky.” He said offering his hand to the kid.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

                                “Why not? Let’s go with it.” Saerin said her face void of any emotions. “Okay, now that’s settled, I’ll be informing President Yang about schedules and practice rehearsals. I would like everyone to know that the YG studio is open to you for dance practice and vocal rehearsals. Now if you’ll excuse me, I believe I have other matters to attend to… Mr. Soo Man?”

                                “Thank you for being here everyone, Meeting adjourned.” SM said. Saerin already on her feet bowed to them and left SM headquarters.

                                “Er, Miss Yang-“ SM called but the girl already disappeared. “Tch…that brat.”

                                Boa watched her boss and smiled as she recalls the time when Saerin trained under their roof. “She hasn’t changed a bit. She maybe tons more confident this time, but she’s still the same stubborn trainee we had back then.”

                                SM smiled at her statement. He would gladly look forward to work with YG.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

                                Kai doesn’t know what he’s doing. Right now he has the kid seated on his shoulders, remote control on hand playing the toy helicopter he bought for him.

                                “This is so coooooool. My dad and I do this every summer break but this is waaaaay cooler. Hey Kai how old you say are you?”

                                “I thought you hate baby sitters?”

                                “Well, you’re just different. Come on, how old are you?”

                                “I’m 26. Hey kid, you got a name?” Kai asked when he heard somebody yelling at them.

“Yang Seunghyun!”

                                Kai turned to see Saerin standing not far from them. It was his default reaction every time he sees her. She always makes him want to kiss her. Then his thoughts came back to the kid. He was confused for a bit and then he figured out that the kid must be YG’s son. Saerin’s hands are on her waist as if she was tricked by her husband and son sneaking out together. Kai smiled at her with the thought. Maybe they’ll be like this hadn’t she and he broke up.

                                Yeppeun Noona! Look, I’ve got a new helicopter.” Seunghyun said waving his arms at her. She walked towards them with an eyebrow raised.

                                “The both of you…what are you doing here? Seunghyunnie, why are you on top of his shoulders??? You’re supposed to be inside the center…and you…” She said looking at Kai. “You’re supposed to be in SM.”

                                “SM? Kai you work in SM?” Seunghyun asked in surprise. “I often hear my dad say he hates SM.”

                                Kai held Seunghyun and put him down gently on the ground.

                                “I didn’t know you have a pretty cousin Seunghyun.” Kai said off topic making Saerin raised her brow even more.

                                “Yeah, Yeppeun Noona is not just pretty but she’s beautiful inside out. That’s why if there’s a boy trying to make her his wife, he’ll go through me. And I’m warning you Kai, nobody has ever passed my standards.”

                                Kai laughed at the kid’s honest revelation making Saerin blushed.

                                “Wait, just how did you say you two meet?” Saerin said confused.

                                “He’s my new baby sitter.”

                                “What!”

                                Kai coughed and stepped closer to Saerin to whisper something. He was thankful she didn’t pull away. He missed her being closer to him like this. Call him erted but he just missed the girl too much it drives him crazy.

                                “On my way to SM, I saw your cousin crying. He was being bullied so I sorta drove the bullies away…then he started to think I was his baby sitter” Kai whispered explaining what happened earlier.

                                Saerin looked at Kai and then at her baby cousin. Geez, how small the world can get.

                                “You could’ve told him the truth and call the center. I’m sorry if he disturbed you from work. I know you’ve been on SM’s bad side lately.” She whispered back.

                                “It’s okay. No problem. I always have a soft heart for people who get bullied.” Kai said making Saerin glare at him. “Hey, it’s what I do best.” Kai whispered winking at her.

                                “So how did you two meet? Did you guys dated?” Seunghyun said innocently. The clever kid was observant. He knows there’s something between his cousin and Kai.

                                “Seunghyun!” Saerin gasped.

                                “Uh…” Kai mumbled unintelligently. Now it’s starting to get really awkward.

                                “I was just asking.” The kid said as he made an aegyo pout to his cousin. Saerin smiled and squatted and looked at the boy in his eyes.

                                “Seunghyun, Kai’s a friend. An acquaintance. Now why don’t you be a darling and call your Dad to tell him that we’re heading back to his office, okay? Go inside the car. Bali.” Saerin said patting the boy’s bum. Seunghyun grabbed his new toy and looked at Kai. Before he could go inside Saerin’s car, he made a threat to Kai. 

                                “I’m watching you new baby sitter!” Just that and he slammed the door.

                                “I’m sorry about that. He thinks he’s better than my father sometimes.” She laughed.

                                “Hey, it’s not every day you’ve got a kid’s back for you.” Kai commented. How he wished their son was alive. He could be Seunghyun’s age right now, he thought. “So… how is it going with JYP? Did you guys start planning already?” He said. Thinking about Saerin practicing with Jimin almost made him sleepless last night.

                                “Well, actually… YG decided to pair up with SM. I was just at your agency a while ago…”

                                At the time Saerin mentioned SM, he got lost in a trance. He doesn’t normally space out but he found himself doing so ever since she came back.

                                Just imagine working with her 24/7 straight.

 Man, it’ll be like 2011 all over again.

Wow, I must’ve done something good.

Good Lord, I can’t thank you enough…

                                “Um Kai? Hello? Are you listening?” Saerin tapped his face which seemed to be catatonic. Then an idea came in mind and Saerin pinched both his cheeks.

                                “OW”

                                Saerin burst in laughter as she watched Kai’s face turn sour. She wanted to do that ever since.

                                “That was fun. Hey, remember what I said okay: Tomorrow at 9. YG Headquarters. Don’t be late. You could ask Suho about the details”

                                Kai nodded and smiled like a retard as he watched her back disappearing as she went inside her car.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

                                Exo entered the YG building feeling excited. They entered through the main door and they were astonished to see the fancy vibe of the first floor. They’ve seen YG’s headquarters in prints and in TV before but not in person. They were in the main lobby when Kris started to get impatient. The front girl told them to wait but they’ve been waiting for almost an hour already.

                                “Where is everybody?” Kris said looking at his watch.

                                “This is a really cool place.” Lay commented.

                                “I wonder where Dara Noona hangs out.”

“Ehem. Exo?”

                                All of them stand up as they saw Pink Punk’s visual Jisoo greeted them.

                                “Annyeong. I’m Kim Jisoo… and I’ll be your tour guide today… um the President will speak to you right after the tour. So, let’s go?”

                                All of them hanged their jaws except Kai and Kyungsoo. It was more than an honor to have Kim Jisoo having to tour them. She is Korea’s Best Angelic Face and more to that, she’s a natural beauty. A face as natural as hers is envied by others. Heck she’s even beautiful without any make up on. Exo just couldn’t believe she’d turn out to be this sweet. And outright shy…

                                Sehun was the first one to go by her side. Kai saw Kyungsoo twitch and hesitate. He knew his friend is crushing on Jisoo. Man, these YG girls can’t seem to stop his friends from drooling. What was he thinking? He belongs with team drool as well.

                                They were all inside the elevator when Jisoo spoke again breaking the silence.

                                “Um, just so you know Rinnie was supposed to tour you guys but she’s got an MV to shoot with Bangtan Boys so she couldn’t make it… The President appointed me to tour you” Jisoo smiled and looked at Sehun who smiled back at her. “Er, I know you guys are close and I’m sorry you’re stuck with me.”

                                “It’s okay, we don’t mind.”

                                “We think you’re okay Jisoo-shi.”

                                “Yeah. Let’s be close friends”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

                                Exo seemed to like Jisoo quickly. They were already nearing to end the tour and they’re already joking with her. But two of the members weren’t so happy about the day. Kai and Kyungsoo were stuck at the end of the line like troubled students the teacher hate.

Kyungsoo patted Kai’s shoulders for he knew his friend was upset about not seeing his ex. On the other hand, Kyungsoo was upset because his crush doesn’t even notice him. He knew he was too old for this, but the thing with this girl is that she’s different. Compared to other girls he knew Jisoo has more to her than just her pretty face.

                                When they reached the practice room they were surprised to see Winner and the other Pink Punk members waiting for them.

                                “Annyeong Hoseyo, Welcome to YG!” They all cheered. Exo was surprised they all clapped their hands and cheered with them. Though from the very beginning they entered SM they knew YG is their greatest competition, and with Winner as their arch nemesis in all things KPOP it’s a surprise that they manage to have a friendly atmosphere behind the cameras.

                                “Hey guys, glad you all can make it!” Lalice said introducing her friends to Exo.

                                Actually not everyone made it.

                                Kai thought. He almost rolled his eyes.

                                “President will be here in a few, in the meantime, why don’t we just mingle?”

                                “Yeah, you know I’m a really big fan of you Do Kyungsoo.” Donghyuk said putting his arm around Kyungsoo. Kai looked at the guy with a confused look at his face and shook his head.

                                “You are?”

                                “I am! It’s such a shame we had to part so quickly in London.” He said and then led them both in the corner. “I know you like Jisoo. And the moment you fool around, it’s gonna be your head on the toilet.” Kyungsoo was shocked for a bit but recovered quickly as Donghyuk whispered a threat.

                                “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

                                “Whatever, I like you for now. But I’m gonna watch closely. You better be good to her.” Donghyuk warned.

                                “It was nice talking to you man.” Donghyuk said smiling and left him finally.

                                “Yeah…you too.” Kyungsoo said.

                                Boy, and I thought the rumors were true.

                                Kyungsoo thought. There were rumors surrounding Winner that Donghyuk was gay. Well, he was glad it wasn’t true but knowing that the guy have romantic feelings with Jisoo made him want to wish that the rumor was true.

                                “Hi Jongin! Why the sad face?” Lalice said commenting on Kai.

                                “Hey Liz… oh please don’t pretend you don’t know.” He said looking away.

                                “Tch, what are you ing about? Aren’t you happy you get to work with us at the least? See you’re not opening your mind in the greater possibilities.” Lalice said shaking her head.

                                “Fine. It’s really an honor to be here. Hey, I saw your dance battle with Hyoyeon Noona yesterday.”

                                “Really?”

                                “Yeah, I think you did a good job. You were really flawless on the dance floor.” Kai said complimenting Pink Punk’s dance machine. “However I think you’re back flip was a letdown. I was expecting you’d go for extreme but that was a single back flip. I bet you couldn’t do three. Hate to break it to you but I still think I’m better than you. Sorry.”

                                Liz gasped and smiled at Kai. She slapped his shoulder and they laughed altogether.

                                “You are so mean!” She laughed.

“Ha…haha..ha”

It was Baekhyun. He continued to laugh awkwardly moving beside Kai. “Hey guys. Hi Kai, Hi Lalice…” Baekhyun said before nudging Kai.

                                “er, ehem, Um, if you’ll excuse me, I think I’m gonna go talk to Jiwon…Hyung, Lalice” Kai said leaving his friend with his crush.

                                “Hey Jongin. Sup.” Bobby, aka Jiwon said high fiving to Kai.

                                “Hey man. How’s Kiki doing” Kai said referring to Bobby’s dog. One time when one of his dogs took a trip to the hospital, he saw Jiwon waiting outside the emergency room. While he waited, they got talking and to make the story short, they instantly became friends.

                                “Oh, she’s fine, never been better. So, how are you? Did you finally get your girl a.k.a. Saerin Yang?” He said referring to the story Kai shared with him when they were at the hospital together.

                                “Well, you know… it’s getting harder each day. She’s like, out of my league now…so different than before.”

                                “That just . I mean, dude there isn’t any girl who’s ever out of your league. That is if you really think you had the guts to be even with her then go for it. Knock yourself out. Where’s your confidence man, am I or am I not talking to the Kim Jongin here?” Bobby said making Kai laugh.

                                “Thanks. I should say the same thing for you.” Kai said referring to Bobby’s secret crush at Lalice.

                                “Yeah… I guess we’re quits now huh.” Bobby said looking at Lalice.

                                Everybody was mingling with each other when YG entered the room. They all stand up and greeted him.

                                “Good day everyone… as you notice, we have Exo as our guests… Do you like the place boys?”

                                “Yes”

                                “It’s fancy”

                                “Very much sir.”

                                “So, I’m here to make a few announcements as to what’s going to happen after 5 weeks.” YG started looking at Kai. “I know all of you are aware of the Concert tour, promotions and the deal with Universal Music. To tell you the truth, I had planned everything with JYP but something came up…With Saerin winning the title of Artist of the year, Universal Music chose her not only to sign with them, but also be a representative of Korea for a World Charity event. They were planning on helping the victims in Mozambique by having celebrities and idols gather around to inspire people around the world… they were pretty keen about the theme, and they wanted it so much to work, they’ll be sponsoring everything.” YG smiled as he saw some of the boys drop their jaw. “Yes, everything. You name it, transportation, tour bus, housing, even your allowances, you name it.”

                                “And what is the theme sir?” Hanbin said.

                                YG smiled and turned silent for a while. He walked and looked at the exo members one by one. He stopped in front of Kai.

                                “The theme? It’s the most abused word these days… It’s love.” He gave him a smile and Kai just pursed his lips like a school boy in trouble. “Lucian Grainge, Universal Music CEO informed me that this concert may change everything. He’s a man for world peace you know.”YG decided to continue and walk towards Winner. “The news already broke out and the poll already started yesterday.”

                                Before Hanbin could even ask, YG already continued explaining.

                                “The poll is about match making. I’ve done a survey for the fans who they’d want to pair up with each other. This is done to avoid certain violence, I’m aware that Exo had a lot of trouble dealing with aggressive fans don’t you boys? I’m only making sure they’d have to be warned first hand before anything breaks out” Exo nodded in agreement. “The pair who gets the most votes would be the leads. Lead singers in MVs and concerts, lead actors and actresses, those things… the ones who doesn’t make the cut, they’ll have the supporting roles. By tomorrow afternoon, we’ll know the results and discover the pairs. Also, Winner will be visiting SM tomorrow to meet Sparkle. And one last thing…This concert serves for one purpose only. I don’t expect you to date each other while preparing for the event. Whoever breaks this one rule will be forced to step down and back out in this concert.”

                                YG stood in front of all of them again.

                                “Do I make myself clear?” YG said eyeing Kai again.

                                Everyone said yes in unison.

                                “Very well, I’ll see you all at lunch table. My assistant will give each of you the schedules of rehearsals and the activities for the coming weeks. I expect you guys to commit to this project more than any of your priorities. Have a good day.”

                YG has rendered everybody speechless while they were given their schedules. Hanbin’s voice shocked everyone when he broke the ice.

                “We’re having a photo shoot at 1 this afternoon? It’s 11:30 already! Tch it’s like that old survival program again.”

                “So… that means we’re going to meet Sparkle today??” Junhwe said anxiously making his hyungs shook their head at his foolishness.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

                                YG’s cafeteria was quiet. Though everyone was in good terms, all of them were checking their phones about the polls. It was this kind of scene when Big Bang entered the area.

                                “Wow, this is amazing.” Daesung remarked amused at the SM and YG idols eating peacefully together.

                                “How’d you do it Sir?” Seungri asked the President who was eating quietly in his table.

                                The president just shrugged and offered them food.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

                                “Look, Donghyuk you’re paired up the most with Chisang! Woah, how come the fans pick you for her. How lucky can you get!” Junhwe said pointing at the results and Donghyuk just smirked.

                                “Yaa, what lucky are you saying? I don’t want to partner up with anybody.” Donghyuk said, his eyes meeting with Jisoo’s.

                                Kyungsoo was intrigued with the both of them, but his thoughts were interrupted when…

                                “Yaa, Yaa… Kai, you’re up against Tao with Saerin-shi!” Luhan blurted out not so moderately making YG and the others look at their table.

                                “OMO,” Kai said munching the garlic bread while looking at Luhan’s phone.

                                “I know right? I mean this is pretty unusual because everybody knows the fans want you most for themselves…”

                                “Maybe it’s because they don’t want to believe the rumors between you and Hyuna…”

                                “That’s a good thing…”

                                “What’s good about our Rinnie getting paired up with this flower boy?” Exo heard Youngbae said.

                                Suddenly, Big Bang was behind the boys hovering over them.

                                “What’s going on?” Seungri said when YG called them over saying that he’ll be explaining things later.

                                It was that moment when Saerin entered the cafeteria with Jimin tugging along with her. All eyes were suddenly on the two. Luhan’s arm automatically went around Kai’s shoulder to calm him down.

                                “Hey Uncle. Hi guys.” She greeted them, and then her eyes met Kai’s. She shifted her gaze on her friends’ table at once. “So, what I miss?”

                                “Rinnie, I’m going first. I’ll see you around.” Jimin whispered at her ear.

                                After Jimin left, Dahyun showed her something from the net. It was the poll.

                                “What’s that?”

                                “That’s what you missed.”

                                Saerin waited and then she finally understood. What she’s seeing now may or may not save her from her worst nightmare.

                                “Oh. So that’s Uncle’s plan.” She said bluntly and nodded. Her eyes were glued on the second highest voted couple: She and Kai.

                                “We’re also having a photo shoot today after this. Hope you’re ready.” Eunbi informed her.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

                                The photo shoot went well, apparently, they all had a great time. The next day, Exo and Pink Punk were inside the main dance rehearsal room while the others were having a vocal session at the other room. It was the day they’ll finally know who’s their partner. Kai was, in his usual attitude, running late and Saerin was seated by the far end corner stretching her legs.

                                “O-!” Luhan exclaimed. He got paired with Jisoo.

                                “Please take care of me Luhan Sunbaenim” Jisoo said. Then Kyungsoo warned Luhan about Donghyuk who was now eyeing Luhan.

                                “Great. I’m stuck with goo-goo eyes.” Lalice was talking about Kyungsoo.

                                “And I’m stuck with monkey girl.” Kyungsoo sighed smiling at her.

                                Saerin was getting paranoid; her phone wasn’t getting any signal.

                                “Hey Dahyun! How are you?” Suho said reaching his hand towards his partner.

                                “YES, I won Kim Yuna!” Lay exclaimed as if he was talking about the lottery.

                                “Why won’t this ing thing work!” Saerin muttered to herself trying to get a signal.

                                “I’m congratulating you guys, I know for sure that I won’t even get a part-“

                                “Yaa, Huang Zitao we’re a team!” Saerin heard Eunbi yelled at Tao…So if the two of them were partners and Tao was being paired up with her then she’s left with…

                                “Hey Saerin…” Kris said startling her.

                                “Please tell me we’re pairing up.” She hoped and made a face at him.

                                “Er, sorry but I’m not your partner”

                                Timing was perfect for the man of the hour showed up in time to acknowledge his partner.

                                “He is…” Kris said. “I just wanna give you an advice. Go easy on him. He’s been through a lot too you know.” He sighed patting her shoulder. “Yo…Kai, get over here!”

                                “Hey Hyung.” Kai said fist bumping with Kris drinking his water bottle. “Sup Saerin, anything new?” Kai said calmly when he’s already laughing inside. He came in late because he made sure he won the votes with Saerin. It took a lot of phone calls for him to make to overtake Tao’s percentage. He wouldn’t be able to handle it had it was Tao who’d end up partnered with her. It was a sight he‘d dread to see. Kai watched Saerin got up and sighed. Kris smiled at Kai and walked away to join the others.

                                “Well, it seems like we’ll be partners for a while.” She said slightly holding her breath.

                                “Oh…So, I won the poll against Zitao?” He said. “Cool. Let’s be the best pair then?”

                                “Yeah.” Saerin nodded a bit hesitant. “Now that’s settled, let’s practice now.”

                                “Now? As in here?”

                                “Yeah. Let’s see what you got Kim Jongin. I think I’d want to evaluate my partner and make sure I won’t have any problems with you” Saerin challenged surprising Kai. She waited and stood in front of him. Kai noticed that it was her habit to place her hands on her waist nowadays. Back then when she watched his shows, she’ll always avoid his eyes at all cost, whether he was dancing or just standing. This new Saerin is really surprising him in all ways possible. And he didn’t know if he likes it or not.

                                “You think I don’t deserve to be your partner?” Kai smirked.

                                “What’s the matter? Not prepared?”

                                By this time their friends turned quiet as they watch the two have an intense interaction.

                                “Aish. Fine. But you’ll surely get displeased…” He said turning his cap backwards. “Hey DJ, will you do me the honors?” He called to Donghyuk who was by the component. The guy started to play something with a fast beat and a y melody.

                                Nice. Just what I needed.

                                Kai smirked as Chris Brown’s Strip started to fill the room.

                                He started to dance with the beat walking towards her. It was one of his favorite dance moves. When the tune builds up, he started losing himself again, like he wasn’t just dancing in front of his friends. It’s like he’s another person again.

                                “Daaang what a six pack!” Kai heard Lalice whistle at him when he pulled his shirt up just enough to reveal his toned stomach.

                                “Oh-uh-hoah!” The boys exclaimed as they watched Kai dance just inches away from Saerin almost as if challenging her to dance against him. The YG vibe is really growing on him.

In the club they play my song…

                As the song reached the second chorus, Kai’s movements shifted lower and lower making the girls and guys scream at the iness that’s radiating in him. Of course the only one left with no expression was Saerin, her eyes never leaving his. Nevertheless, he couldn’t care less about what she thought of his dance. For him, what’s important is his performance.

Girl I just wanna see you strip right now cause its late yeah…

Girl I just wanna see you strip Girl…take your time with it… …

Girl I just wanna see you strip…goddamn you y

Goddamn you y…

                As the music ends, Kai didn’t know what to do to finish his freestyle so he ended it with a simple chest bump. The audience was very much entertained for he didn’t end the dance alone because his feet landed just a centimeter away from her making their faces really close. Kai smirked at her still unreadable expression. To his surprise, she smirked back at him too.

                                “What do you think?” He said catching his breath.

                                “Hmm, pretty good. Very old school, still not your best performance Mr. Strip Swag” She said flicking his cap up. “Now would you mind stepping away?” She whispered.

                                “Why? Are you getting ?” He whispered playfully.

                                “No, but you might turn on my Uncle’s high blood pressure” She grinned pointing at YG who was observing them since Kai started dancing.

                                Kai moved away slightly embarrassed to be unaware of the CEO’s presence.

                “Very impressive Kai.” The CEO said. “Saerin, I’ll have a word with you in my office.” YG said and left the room.

                “See, even your Uncle is impressed. What’s wrong with you Siren?” Kai couldn’t help but complain to Saerin. She just smirked.

                “Hmm, I’ll let you know what I think after a few days…it’s not so good right now if you ask me.” She smiled bitterly at him. “Move.” She said pushing him away.      

                Kai watched her exit in amusement. He can’t wait until she’s his again. This chasing stuff is growing on him and he doesn’t mind. As long as it’s her that he’s chasing, he’s cool with it.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

                The next few days were hell. First it was bad enough for the idols to learn and compose new songs and choreography in a limited time, but to appear in variety shows and photo shoots were another thing. For some people they were getting comfortable working with their partners that they even start to speak informally to each other. But to some other couples things weren’t going as good as planned.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

                                At first, the show was going well. Strong Heart is known in Korea for being a truthful show. If it’s any consolation, the show is anything but fake. That is why when Dong Yup directed questions at Saerin, she was expecting it to be tricky but the host’s next question made her nervous the most.

                                “What really happened in New York? Were you hiding from your lover?”

                                It was a simple question meant as a joke but she started to sweat the moment he asked it. Her decision to leave the country was really a big shocker not just to her fans but to everyone. She thought that even if that was years ago, that was just the moment they’ll never forget. Maybe there’s just a default thing in every celebrity because there’s always this one thing that makes the past unforgettable. And maybe that was that for her. She doesn’t know why but she found herself looking at Kai. Saerin knows it’s not because he’s here that she’s anxious. It’s because the question was very much direct and she couldn’t help but joke honestly about it. So she decided to play a little.

                                “Probably. I was really scared of my Uncle. You know how it is when he gets mad, he just sends people abroad.” She joked and earned an applause from the audience. Her gaze went back to Kai and he was suddenly glaring at her. Now she’s getting more and more uncomfortable.

                                “Are you serious?”

                                “No, I mean I kid pfff!” She rolled her eyes. “It was really my personal choice to go there plus there’s also this drive in me and the thought about ‘what if I didn’t enter show business’ ‘Am I going to be the same?’ It’s that thought that bothered me and growing up I guess I just didn’t want to have any regrets so yeah… I went to New York, I studied Music and… now I’m here again…just stronger.” She flawlessly lied.

                                Saerin thought she had done well but apparently, the host was far from finish.

                                “Well you’ve obviously have a lot to brag about…especially since the fans gave you the blessing to pair up with this guy.” Dong Yup pointed at Kai as he joked at Saerin who expertly had a really good poker face.

                                “You should ask them a lot of questions Hyung, I’m telling you they have so much to tell,” Sehun prompted.

                                “Yeah?”

                                Everyone laughed except for Saerin.

                                “Even before, you guys were never paired up right?”

                                “Right” The rest of the Exo responded for both Saerin and Kai.

                                “Luhan Hyung was rumored with Saerin-shi a lot back then because they always go out together.” Chen said.

                                “We’re best friends. I still call her Noona. I remember her saying she’s crushing on Kai once.” Luhan said making Saerin glare daggers on him.

                                “You guys really want these two together huh?”

                                “Yeah”

                                “I honestly don’t know if I just got lucky or the fans just hate me so much.” She said bluntly.

                                “Let’s hear it from Kai who barely speaks in every show… What do you think of Saerin?”

                                “Actually she’s very hard to work with.” Kai said lazily.

                                “These two is an odd pair, I’m warning you.” Lalice said

                                “She loves to complain. As in really, she shoves it in my face whenever she gets the chance, it’s like the day wouldn’t be complete if Saerin wouldn’t give complaints whether it’s about my dancing or the things I wear…”

                                “Oh Saerin-shi you’re doing a good job,” The host said congratulating her, obviously entertained. “What else does she do Kai?”

                                “She’s got the princess syndrome.” Kai said watching Saerin who was now hiding her face. He was enjoying exposing her.

                                “Like whenever she comes at rehearsal, she really does make her presence known…she’s like…” Kai continued and stood up making a good impression of Saerin’s facial expression whenever she enters the room. “Seriously who does that?”

                                “Why are you suddenly confessing huh? You never said anything if I’m scaring you or what! Why tell that now, do you really want to fight me?” Saerin’s tone was joking but it doesn’t mean that she’s not serious about the fight.

                                The host was obviously amused by the two. He couldn’t help but press more questions.

                                “And I thought Kai here likes the gentle type and from what I’ve heard he really likes you Saerin-shi”

                                “Excuse me can I say something?” Tao said.

                                “Yes you may Tao.”

                                “Please ask Kai what’s his type of girl again.”

                                “Ok what type of girls do you like Kai?”

                                “Let’s not listen to some boring answers” Saerin said before Kai could even answer.

                                “Oooooooooooh”

                                “Remind me to give someone a spanking later” Kai retorted.

                                “W-wait… guys this is just for promos right? You’re not really fighting right?” The host said.

                                “Of course not. I love this girl too much to fight her. I mean who wants to go head to head with a lady like Saerin Jo? She’s just too precious,” Kai said looking at the host. To some people inside the studio, his answer may only mean the superficial side but to their friends, it’s very much clear that his statement meant one thing and another. Obviously they had made a lot of questions stir after the show. Well, mostly about Kai and Saerin. Apparently their little argument made a lot of reactions from netizens. Some were very entertained and some were spreading the hate on Saerin – as usual from the anti-fans.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

                                That night they were scheduled to film a music video for the remake of Exo’s music video “What is Love.” Kai was ready on set waiting for his partner. The location was on Korea’s famous London Streets and the ambiance was romantic. The lights were dimmed and the night sky was covered with stars. The both of them were informed that they’re going to shoot a few angles with the two of them glancing at each other and then they’re going to have a slow dance in the middle of the street. Every pair has a particular story and his and Saerin’s were about two best friends about to cross the line to being lovers.

                                When Saerin came to set, Kai got nervous and he knows why. This isn’t any girl he’s acting with and knowing himself, he’ll never be professional towards her.

                                “Are you all set Ms. Yang?”

                                Kai heard the assistant director said to her when his friend from the PD team called him.

                                “Hey Kai um, there might be some changes in this scene. See the director wants you two to kiss after the slow dance.”

                                “Huh? Are you serious?”

                                Kai looked at Saerin a little worried and talked to her.

                                “We’re filming a kissing scene? Are you informed about this?” He asked her.

                                “They just told me,” She shrugged. She looked at him with a glint of mischief in her eyes. “Don’t tell me you’re chickening out? What’s this? Exo’s Noona Killer scared of a little kiss?” She said teasing him. “Are you sick or something? Aww, poor you.” She said feeling his forehead like she cared. She was acting like a on purpose because Kai had embarrassed her on Strong Heart earlier. But to her surprise, Kai caught her hand on his forehead and pulled her closer refusing to let her damage his ego. He’s had enough of her naughtiness and he’s been putting up with her iness for weeks. Honestly he’s on the brink of losing his sanity.

                                “No I’m not sick Siren and you should be worried” He smirked. “You shouldn’t have played with me Saerin Jo because you’ll regret it.” He said smacking his lips soundly on her. He didn’t give her time to react for he pulled away as soon as it happened. “How ‘bout that for a little practice?”

                                If Saerin was mad, Kai didn’t know but he was sure she turned red when he surprised her with that little act. Then again the girl always knew what to say to get him off from his cool.

                                “Did you honestly call that a kiss.” She sighed. “Out of ten, I’d give it a five… or maybe a four,” She scoffed turning her back on him. “I can’t believe you still kiss like a boy Kai… I mean come on you’ve been in a lot of dramas right. How about you do some justice on that huh? Live up to your ‘y’ nickname.” She said rolling her eyes not noticing Kai’s harsh intake of breath. Other times he would think she was begging for him to kiss her once more but that was the other Saerin. The other Saerin was gentle, modest and sensitive. That girl would piss him off then make up for her mistakes right away by cooking him his favorite meal or kissing him herself. The new Saerin just pisses him off and she’s even glad to make a habit of it. Kai was obviously forcing himself not to lose it. This girl knew how to tick him off even before but now she just became worse. He smiled at the challenge.

                                “Fine.” He called. “I’ll be ready when you are Ice Princess.”

                                Just so you wait.

                                He thought.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

                                “Those two looked like they’re going to lunge at each other’s neck any time soon.” Kyungsoo said to his friends.

                                “I’m nervous. I need some air.” Lalice squealed and fanned her hand on her face.

                                The other guys behind them both from YG and SM were making little bets on how many takes the two would make.

                                “CUT. Next Scene!!!” The Assistant Director called getting the attention of everyone.

                                “Guys, it’s the scene!” Hanbin announced alerting everyone.

………………………….

                                As the assistants were applying retouches on their faces, Saerin and Kai continue to glare at each other as if this was a big competition. The director gave them last minute instructions and before they know it, the most anticipated scene started.

                                They were slow dancing in the middle of the quiet street with some extras passing by pretending not to care. For a moment, Kai imagined they were at the old house trying their luck with Waltz. A little smile spread on his face as he remembered the memory. He looked down on her to find her looking up at him. Kai thought he saw his old girlfriend back. It’s just when she looked up at him it’s as if she was in love… like she trusted him with all of her heart…and then he remembered that they were acting. They were all just pretending.

Saerin saw sadness crossed his eyes as he looked away. She doesn’t know if Kai was this good in acting or if he’s really upset but she knew she was being harsh on him and she couldn’t help it. Honestly, it felt really good to piss him off. But right now when she saw that look on his face, pretending or not, she couldn’t help but reach out to him. It wasn’t on the script but she went with her instincts and held his face to look back at her. Kai was supposed to kiss her on that scene but she did otherwise. She smiled genuinely at him as she pulled his shirt for the kiss she thought he deserved.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

                                    They didn’t know how long they were kissing. Kai couldn’t seem to think straight. All he can hear was the line ‘I lost my mind…’ and then everything that comes after was a blur. All his focus was on her lips. He smiled when he felt her arms around his neck pulling him closer. He knew they were going a little over board with the kissing but instead of letting her go, he hugged her tighter making her moan. Oh sweet heavens he was so he felt his body tense and then…

                                     “CUT! Perfect take you guys, Next LOCATION,” The assistant director called destroying the moment. They heard their friends cheering for them. Saerin was the first to pull away but Kai continued to hug her dropping his head on her shoulder.

                                      “Uh, Kai??” Saerin muttered pulling away but the guy was like a leech. They heard their friends teasing them.

                                     “Saerin can you do me a favor?” He whispered huskily.

                                      Saerin waited and she can still feel the awkwardness in his embrace and not just that but there’s something poking on her stomach and she’s definitely not that innocent not to know what is it.

                                       “Please call Luhan and tell him to come here. This is all your fault.” He accused not wanting to let her go. Saerin knew what he meant. If she lets him go, they’ll see the obvious change on the bulge of his pants. They were swaying as they stood. Kai was doing it on purpose so that the crew would think they were just fooling around when in truth, he was experiencing a guy thing and it’s pretty embarrassing and unprofessional. He was expecting this possibility and it still surprised him that his expectation was right. She still has that effect on him.

                                        “Oh my God Kai you’re disgusting, can’t you just turn it off???” Saerin said still pushing him away.

                                        “Call Luhan now or we’ll be in the tabloids tomorrow!” Kai said feeling red all over.

                                         “LUHAN-SHIII!” Saerin squealed in anger.

                                         Luhan was suddenly on his feet pointing to himself with a smug smile on his face.

                                         “What’s the problem Princess? Can’t get your man off?” Luhan teased.

                                          When Luhan got to them, he smiled at Kai’s reaction for he knew the problem at once. He almost forgot that Saerin’s the only girl who could turn on Exo’s iest member.

                                          “What’s up Kai? Hard time?” He chuckled.

                                         Saerin successfully pushed the guy away from her to shove him to Luhan. Luhan pushed his chest and took a glance on Kai’s lower body.

                                         “Tsk.” Luhan took off his jacket and tossed it to Kai. “Good god, take it easy Jongin. That was just a kiss.” He said and patted Kai’s shoulder. Saerin couldn’t help but feel guilty. She bit her lower lip and her eyes met Kai’s. She felt her face flush red all over. She turned her back on him at once and heard him chuckle.

                                         “Sorry about that Siren. Was that too much? Do you want to go for another take?” Kai said entertained. Luhan gave him a friendly smack in the head.

                                          “Let’s just wait for your thing to calm down okay Jongin. You wouldn’t want the fans to see you with that on right. Here have some water, maybe that’ll tone your excitement down.” He said rolling his eyes then his attention shifted to Saerin. “Saerin-shi that was…great acting by the way,” Luhan teased. “If you’ll ask me this guy got…well…too overwhelmed so thanks to you he didn’t make any mistake. You guys perfected the scene in one take and that’s saying something.” He said very amused.

                                          She couldn’t help but turn to the boys who both have an irritating smug look on their faces. They waited for her to say something, expecting her to say another insult at them but all came out was a compliment that surprised them.

                                           “To be completely honest… I enjoyed that kiss. Sorry I got carried away.” She shrugged watching the boys drop their jaws. “I’m going first. See you guys.” She said finally walking towards her trailer.

                                            The boys still have their mouths hanging open until Saerin was nowhere in sight.

                                            “That was saying something,” Kai said turning to Luhan.

                                        “Did she just say that you were a good kisser? Saerin Jo telling you, you’re a good kisser?” Luhan said his eyes wide as a crystal ball.

                                        “Why is that so hard to believe?” Kai said offended, hitting his Hyung on the shoulder.

                                          “I don’t know, I mean you have to consider that your Ex is an international idol and she may have kissed a lot of boys much mo-“

                                          “Yeah I get it, but she’s still Saerin.” Kai defended standing up from his seat. He paced a few steps towards the middle of the street, his back facing on his Hyung. “I can still see her. I just don’t get it. Why is that she’s trying so hard hiding her true self from me? Does she think I’m that dense? Does she think I couldn’t see that? I’m not an idiot. ”

                                             Luhan looked at his friend’s figure. He wouldn’t deny it. He too noticed how Saerin really changed after 5 years. At some days she’d be sweet as she was back then and then after that she’ll return to being cold again – not speaking to everyone, preferring to be alone. Every time they would rehearse, he would admire her for her versatility; her passion for music but at the end of the day Saerin would always find ways to isolate herself from everyone.

                                             “Do you think it had something to do with Sami?” Luhan asked.

                                             Kai felt a pang of sadness hit his heart at the mention of their unborn child. Saerin still hasn’t got any idea that Kai knew about Sami and he really wanted to make up for that; for not being there for her when she needed him the most. But how would he do that when the girl he’s trying to win back always manage to push him away.

                                             “Yeah,” Kai sighed. “I was thinking about that too and I’m worried sick about her. If she’s still traumatized about…about losing our child then I just hope she doesn’t take it alone. I can’t even hold her and talk to her casually! I mean if not for these video shoots we wouldn’t even be talking. And in rehearsals we always fight... but what happened earlier…” Kai shook his head and smiled. “I can still bring her back Hyung. I know that, she’s still there. I just need to get her alone.”

                                                 Luhan chuckled and get himself off his seat.

                                               “Okay, now you’re talking!” Luhan said messing Kai’s hair.