First Dance

Optional Bias Scenarios

“Ladies, these are the boys you will be performing with at next week’s classical galla. They are from the Seoul Dance Academy and are very skilled dancers, if I do say so. I will be pairing you each up and giving you the piece you will be performing. Since we only have 5 partners, you will each have a 2 minute time slot.”

 

You nod along with the other girls, feeling a bit nervous. Every one of the boys songsaengnim has chosen are very handsome, making them almost too hard to look at. They all have very distinct look, but all of the girls, yourself included, have your own style as well.

 

As songsaengnim carries on, a movement catches your eye to the back row. There stands an exceptionally bright young man, who looks almost scholarly with his great looks and well-toned body. Out of all the boys, he looked the best in their signature cropped black tights and modified tops that carry their academy’s logo.

 

His eyes seem to be elsewhere, distracting you from songsaengnim as you tried to figure out what he was thinking about. The sun peaked out from behind a cloud, shining brightly through the large bay window placed just perfectly behind where the men were standing.

 

The light arranged itself so that it created a halo around every one of them, giving the group a very angelic feel, which suited them just well. The one who had caught your attention was still off in his own world, but now he seemed to be thinking about a dance of sorts because his feet were moving back and forth and you could just make out his counting as he mouthed it.

 

“...Since you all have been practicing already for the past couple weeks, I will let you figure out who your partners are by asking them which piece they are to be performing. Once you find him or her, get together and we will all watch you perform together in front of the class.”

 

“Wait, so we don’t even get to really talk to them before we dance?” One of the girls asks, sounding terrified.

 

“If you know what you are doing, you shouldn’t need to communicate, you should just be able to dance.”

 

Everyone groaned, but you were too busy watching him to join in. He was looking at songsaengnim now, but you could tell he wasn’t paying attention.

 

“Alright, ready, and go!” Songsaengnim shouts, taking a step back to let us walk forward and converse to find our partners. You stayed away from him as you asked around, secretly hoping you weren’t dancing with him. You were afraid you would be too caught up in his beauty to sufficiently perform with him.

 

A cute boy with light hair and a round face approaches you first. “Excuse me Miss, are you dancing to Sonata Pathetique?”

 

You shake your head, slightly disappointed. “No, sorry.”

 

He smiles gently and nods. “That’s okay. Nice meeting you!”

 

You copy his moves before turning to the next guy; a taller, more lean blonde who looked like he came from a family of dancers. “What song are you performing?”

 

“Johann’s Dream.”

 

“No, sorry, I’m afraid we don’t match." You frown. He looks like a good partner too.

 

“Shame, you my dear are quite darling,” He takes your hand and kisses it lightly. “Best of luck.”

 

“Same to you.” You look around the room and find another who you hope is your match. He’s built like a dancer with a bit more muscle and his feature show him to be calm and caring; the perfect gentleman.

 

He notices you walking up and smiles politely. “You wouldn’t be performing Moonlight Sonata, would you.”

 

Your mood dips again. “No, I’m not actually. Sorry.”

 

He shakes his head. “It’s not your fault. Our teacher gave us our pieces, so we didn’t have any control.” After a quick glance around the room, he leans in close and whispers, “If I had the choice, I would have chosen Scarborough Fair.”

 

“That’s what I have!” You declare. “Do you know who has it?”

 

“Yes, actually _______ has it, he’s right over there.” He lifts his arm and points to someone behind you. As you turn you pray that he’s a good dancer and he will do a good job, no matter what he looks like. You follow his finger until it reaches your worst fate.

 

“H...he’s the one dancing to Scarborough Fair?” You ask, hesitant.

 

He nods, “He’s very good. Even though I love that song, he does it justice. I hope you can dance well, he’s crazy good.”

 

“Thank you.” You sigh, then, after a moment, you make your way over to him. Suddenly, you feel as though your white leggings are too tight and your tank top much too revealing, even though it’s the same as all the other girls.

 

He watches as you approach, almost like he was judging you, with a blank expression. You cross your arms and force a smile. “Hello.”

 

“Hello.”

 

You are hoping he would ask first, but he just stands there, waiting for you to speak. “Do you have Scarborough Fair, per chance?”

 

He nods, but continues to stay mute. Before you can ask him any more questions, songsaengnim asks for everyone to gather back together to figure out an order of performances. She called of everyone, leaving you and ______ for the end. “I want you and _______ to go last, okay?”

 

You nod. “That’s fine.” He doesn’t seem to have a comment, so you just keep to yourself.

 

As everyone goes, it seems that their partners were almost destined to be with them. Even the worst dance of the girls was able to put on a great show with her male counterpart, which surprised you and all the other girls.

 

When it came to your turn, you and _____ took your starting position as the music began. Together, you stand there for a moment, just letting the music wash over you. His eyes shine and give you a nod only you can see, which signals the beginning of your routine.

 

At first you don’t feel like you and _____ are connecting very well. You try to watch him carefully, figuring what move is to come next, but at times it’s hard to tell. Some of your moves are a bit choppy, but they weren’t as bad as you expected them to be.

 

As the melody picked up, he gets in close to you and whispers in your ear, “Just follow my lead.” before taking your waist and bringing you together as one.

 

Everything was starting to click after that moment. A smile rises to your lips as the movements become easier to guess and come out smoothly, like they had been practiced for weeks on end until they were perfect.

 

You were surprised when he even started to smile. Before you knew it, the music slowed to an end and together you and _____ took your moves down a notch until the music faded and you found yourself dipped low in his arms.

 

Applause and cheers thunder out from the others when the two of you take your bow.

 

“That was amazing! Are you sure you two haven’t worked together before?” Songsaengnim joked.

 

The excitement waned as class drew to an end for the day. He comes up to you and gives you a pat on the back. “You were great out there.”

 

“You were pretty amazing yourself.” You counter, looking down at your feet.

 

“Would you like to meet up with me tomorrow?”

 

“What?” You look up at him, surprised.

 

His expression is calm and open, the exact opposite of how it was at the beginning of the class. “I’d like to meet with your again tomorrow, if that’s okay.”

 

“That would be great.” You smile, your cheeks flushing a bit.

 

“Then I will see you tomorrow,” He grins, giving you a small wave. “Until then.”

 

“Goodbye ______,” You wave back, watching him descend the stairs and through the door. You put a hand up to your chest, feeling your heart racing. If you had the chance, you would repeat today over and over, as long as it ended the same way every time.