I

사랑하니까 (On the Wings of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A beautiful harmony of trumpets rang out as the first rays of the morning sun pierced through the endless beds of clouds, creating a rather picturesque scene, complete against a dazzling background of blue. Upon closer inspection, one may observe that each separate mass of the fluffy material contained a sleeping figure.

 

The peculiar forms looked very much like human beings, and no difference would ever be possible to detect if not for a pair of white, clustered, feather-like things, called wings, which seemed to just emerge from their shoulder blades, running down the length of their bodies all the way to their ankles.

 

Heaven was the name of the place. It was an absolutely wondrous and peaceful abode, perpetually filled with joy and cheer. Its inhabitants are, without a doubt, called angels, a term which we human beings have, over time, associated with magical creatures that flitted around making merry all the time. It was a largely accurate concept, for that was what went on most of the time in this enchanting community.

 

Angels spent most of their time just enjoying the niceties of life in Heaven. Immortality was a really huge advantage, and nobody ever needed to worry about getting old, passing away, or any other unfavorable circumstance. Heaven was safe. Angels were protected. It was once rumored that angels were specially created by The Almighty himself, and that he made sure to design only the kindest, most honorable people to have the eternal benefit of breathing the sweet air of this Promised Land. As such, an angel would never choose to go to Earth for whatever reason there was.

 

Then there was Jessica Jung.

 

When she was first introduced to her fellow folk, everybody received a handshake… and an embrace that was almost suffocating… followed by a kiss to the cheek. She would have grabbed each angel for an acquainting dance if only the Chief of Angels had not stopped her.

 

If enthusiasm could be personified, it would come in the form of Jessica Jung. She often got into trouble for being overly friendly. Yes, even for a place such as Heaven. The littlest of things fascinated her. One time she bounced up and down a cloud for three days in a row without ceasing, just to see whether or not it would give way. Of course it didn’t, and she ended up having to sit through another counseling session with the Chief.

 

Jessica was just different; special in her own way.

 

Just like the rest of the angels, she had often heard tales of the many happenings on Earth. Instead of feeling afraid or vulnerable like the others, the larger part of Jessica felt as though it needed to explore this mysterious territory. She wanted to see how different human beings were compared to angels. She strongly desired to interact with one just for the sake of it. Every nerve in her being just craved for some sort of experience of life as a mortal, regardless of how short it was going to be.

 

As you would expect, she eventually sat down with the Chief one day in the hopes of being given a chance to discover Earth for herself. If you had seen the look on the Chief’s face as he listened to the atrocious news, you would have been worried for the poor angel. It was ultimately a huge, fat ‘no’. Of course we would not believe that Jessica was one to take ‘no’ for an answer.

 

A conscious effort was being made every single day without fail, and the angel went so far as to gather a band of confidants to get a petition signed, not forgetting to include a list of reasons pertaining to why she should be allowed to go.

 

It was only about a hundred days later that the Chief finally relented, and he summoned Jessica to the official court with a heavy heart.

 

“You are sure about this, right?” He asked for the billionth time. A bright smile following a confident nod caused the Chief to shake his head in despair. This angel was obviously unaware of the potential danger she was in.

 

The Chief was not so much concerned about the physical wellbeing of Jessica, for angels could heal themselves anytime they wished if they ever got hurt. But nobody could guarantee the safety of her heart, which only knew of positive and happy emotions thus far.

 

You see, the thing is, pain and sorrow are quite foreign to angels. If lucky, an angel would not even need to deal with physical pain throughout the course of eternity. Emotions such as anger or irritation do surface from time to time but those would be nothing compared to the mental sufferings that plague mankind each and every day. The state of affairs was definitely going to be entirely different on Earth.

 

“Study this. If you manage to do well enough in the test a week later, you’ll be permitted to go. It’s a standardized operational procedure for all angels who yearn to go to Earth.” A thick and heavy book entitled ‘Surviving Earth and Its Beings 101’ was dropped into Jessica’s open hands. The Chief secretly hoped that the angel would, by a miracle, be unsuccessful in her learning, and therefore be disallowed to leave.

 

Knowing how smart Jessica was, however, he heaved a depressed sigh before making his way off.

 

Jessica never studied harder in her life. She spent every waking moment buried in the material, thoroughly savoring each and every page of information. The facts only served to fire her imagination and further intrigued her as she increasingly felt the eagerness to visit this magical place called Earth.

 

And so, as predicted, she did perfectly well for the written exam.

 

A week prior to her departure, the Chief met her once again for a final evaluation and discussion.

 

“Since you’re currently the highest-scoring candidate for the syllabus, I’m sure you’re completely aware of all the processes that would take place should you violate any of the rules stated in the book.” He carefully observed the smiling angel befo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter