Music Calms The Heart

Cinderella's Revenge

Shin Hye opened her eyes and saw a distressed Jong Hyun looking at her. He was holding her hand, and she felt his hand shaking.

"Gwaenchanha?" he asked, his voice also shaking.

"Wae geurae?" she asked.

"You... you fainted... and I brought you here..."

Shin Hye saw herself with some intravenous tubings. Then, her eyes were directed to Jong Hyun, who grabbed his phone and got busy texting someone. In fact, Jong Hyun was texting his parents to move out of the house and into the maternal farmhouse because Kim Hye Ri might run after them out of revenge. The next person he texted was Jaejoong, telling him that Shin Hye was admitted due to severe exhaustion.

"Mianhamnida, Hyung... For letting us get away, gamsahamnida."

After texting, the tired geek looked up to his friend and asked if she wanted him to sing some songs.

"Chingu is tired as well," Shin Hye told him.

Jong Hyun smiled, "Did you just call me 'Chingu'?"

"Ne... you're the only friend that I have," she told him with a weak voice.

Jong Hyun nodded and started to get his guitar, but upon seeing the other patients in the ward, he asked an ahjumma nearby if he could play some songs for them. An ahjusshi who heard him told him to sing some soothing melodies to ease their pain and suffering. Shin Hye watched her friend get a stool and sit in the middle of the room, then strumming his guitar. Jong Hyun began to sing the trot that his parents loved, and so the patients and the relatives who were there listened intently and relaxed. Even the medical team were astounded by the melancholic voice of the nerdy guy.

"Where did such beautiful voice come from?"

"He plays from the heart. I am so touched with that young man," a halmeoni said to her daughter.

Shin Hye looked at her friend with interest, seeing how his calmness affected everyone in the room. Their conversation last night came back to her, and she still felt guilty calling him too kind. Yes, Jong Hyun was too kind, but it was only him who showed her kindness. And tears fell from her eyes.

"Mianhada... Jong Hyun..."

Revenge was still in her heart, and she was not willing to let it go. It was easy for Jong Hyun to say not to let poverty affect him, and even inspire him to succeed. He was in the open all these times, while she was held captive in prison. And her freedom meant so much to her right now that forgiveness was the last thing that she was going to give. It was still revenge.

"Bravo, bravo!" the doctor said to the young man. "You can continue that later, arasseo?"

"Ne.." Hyunnie said with a bow.

And he got back to his friend.

"I hope Jaejoong-hyung will come here any time," Jong Hyun said.

"Jaejoong..." Shin Hye mumbled again.

"Jaejoong-hyung looked shocked when he saw you," Jong Hyun said. "Do you know him?"

And Shin Hye nodded. She knew him to be a very kind and loving Oppa who showed more affection to her than he did for Bo Young, which was why Bo Young was also greatly jealous at her for getting Jaejoong's attention. She said that although Jaejoong was just a step-cousin, he was very much acting like they were blood-related.

"Shin Hye-ya!" a male voice called out.

It was Jaejoong. He had a great worry etched on his face as he ran to her. Jong Hyun stood up to give room to the hyung, and Jaejoong hugged Shin Hye tight with all his heart.

"Shin Hye-ya... Shin Hye-ya.. mianhada... I was such a useless Oppa. I was such an insensitive person. When I saw Jageun Eomma maltreating you, I should have bought you out and bring you with me... And she told me that you ran away... For seven years, I was looking all over for you... Not knowing you were just in the basement..."

Shin Hye shed some tears underneath her oppa, and Jaejoong closed his eyes as he hugged her.

"Bogo shipeosseo... bogo shipeosseo...." he told her as he tenderly and lovingly caressed her back.

Jong Hyun shed some tears to learn that Jaejoong had been looking all over for her. Had he known that Jaejoong and Shin Hye knew each other, he could have informed his hyung about it.

****

Nevertheless, Jaejoong paid for the bills, and let Jong Hyun take Shin Hye with him.

"Kim Hye Ri did not know about my halmeoni's farmhouse, so I informed my parents of the trouble and let them escape there," Jong Hyun told his hyung.

"Arasseo," Jaejoong said.

Then, holding Shin Hye by her hands, Jaejoong looked at her intently.

"Shin Hye-ya, take care. Be good to Jong Hyun, and stay with him," he said to her. "I will get back to get you. I promise."

"Ne... Oppa..."

And Jaejoong watched them board the train to the farm where Jong Hyun grew. As for Jaejoong, he frowned as he looked at his watch. Time is running out, and Hye Ri might escape. He had to make her pay for her lies.

And what other dirty laundry might she be hiding, he thought.

****

Meanwhile, on board the train, the ticket inspector came to inspect the tickets. Since the travel was a long way to go, Jong Hyun nodded off to sleep. Shin Hye returned his kindness by letting him lean on her shoulder.

"Take me with you, Hyun... take care of me... until I can stand on my own," Shin Hye thought.

She grabbed his hand and held it tightly, cherishing his warmth. She also arranged his glasses so it won't fall off his face. Because Jong Hyun was sleeping with his lips slightly open, (sorry for this gruesome event) some of his saliva dripped off, and Shin Hye gently wiped it off. As she wiped his lips, she could not help but admire the slit that was on his lower lip. It was a sight that could not be taken for granted, but he looked so... cute with it.

"Jong Hyun... I lost trust in everyone when Kim Hye Ri locked me out of the world for seven years, and you are the first person whom I opened my heart to," she thought. "I will trust you... I will allow you to bring me wherever you think is safe for me. And I will wait for Jaejoong-oppa."

Her thoughts flew back to the writings on her wall.

Revenge. Revenge.

There will be time for it. And while she was still recuperating from her wounds and mending her life, she will soon extract it in the way that Hye Ri and Bo Young so deserved.

As she thought of what was to come, she finger-combed Jong Hyun's fringes so those will not cover his eyes. And she looked outside the window, cherishing the sights, cherishing her freedom.

 

~~~~