9

Starbucks

-D.O's POV-

It was 10:27 am. I had let Kai sleep at my house, since he needed to be comforted. Last night, Kai and I had planned to visit his parents' graves today. We were both out of bed.

Kai was in the kitchen, at the stove, cooking breakfast. He made me sit at the table and wait.

"Kai, you don't have to make breakfast, I'll make it."

"No," he turned around and pointed the spatula at me. He was wearing a lacey pink apron, and his hair was tied up in an apple hairstyle. I giggled at how adorable he was.

He turned back to the stove and flipped the bacon over. It sizzled loudly and made Kai jump.

-

When Kai was finished cooking breakfast, he grabbed two plates and prepared my plate first. He set the plate down on the table in front of me, and then prepared his own plate. He sat down and we both began to eat.

When we were finished eating, Kai insisted to wash the dishes.

"No, I won't let you. Plus we have to get to the cemetery. Just leave the plates in the sink and I'll wash them when I get home." He looked at me with pleading eyes and I flashed him a glare, which made him throw his hands up in surrender. I wondered how he could still be himself on a day like this.

After Kai and I were finished getting ready, we walked to one of the nearby flower shops. We stepped through the entrance and our noses were instantly filled with the scent of various flowers. Kai decided to get one bouquet of roses, and one of lilacs.

"The roses are for my mom and the lilacs are for my dad." Kai had explained. "When I was a little kid, about 5 years old, I used to go picking flowers for my parents. Near our house, there was a field that was filled with different kinds of flowers, so I used to pick only roses and lilacs. One day, I had put together a rose bouquet for my mother, but when I started picking the lilacs for my dad, I got stung by a bee. I ran to my house while crying, and when my mom saw me, I could see the worry in her eyes. After I had gotten treated, my parents came with me to pick flowers, so we just spent the whole day picking flowers."

I stayed silent. I didn't want to ask any questions, because I felt like I would make Kai even sadder.

"That was one of the best memories I ever had with my parents."

Kai's eyes were getting watery, but if I hugged him, I knew he would start to cry. I felt so bad for him. If I could, I would bring his parents back to life. But sadly that's impossible.

Kai sniffed. "Well, we better get going."

-

We had finally arrived at the cemetery. I followed Kai, because I figured he'd know where his parents' graves are. He stopped at a gravestone. He towered over the rock that read:

                                                                               Mr. and Mrs. Kim
                                                                          1965 - 2001 1967 - 2001

-Kai's POV-

I stood infront of the grave. My parents' grave. I looked at it for a while before bending down to place the two bouquets on the ground, in front of the grave.

"My parents always said they wanted to be buried together." I looked at the ground, but I knew D.O. was listening. "And they also said, when my time came, they wanted me to be buried with them too." I choked on the last few words, allowing tears to spill out of my eyes. I felt empty, heartbroken, unknowing. Even though they passed away 12 years ago, I still remember it like it was yesterday. I couldn't even get to say goodbye to them.

I sniffed, then proceeded to talk to my parents.

"Mom, dad." D.O. stood alone, his hands behind his back, looking at the ground.

"How are you guys? It's been another year since I've came.." I wiped my tears and continued to speak.

"Dad, remember when you used to nag me because I always coloured outside the lines in my colouring book? And mom always used to throw her knitting needles at you when you made a snarky comment?" I smiled. "I miss that."

"Oh, I forgot. This is D.O. I mean, Kyungsoo," I turned around and looked at D.O, who looked up at me. He caught what I was trying to do and stepped forward, standing beside me. He cleared his throat.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Kim. My name is Do Kyungsoo, but people call me D.O. I'm your son's boyfriend." I smiled a bit, imagining my parent's reaction if I told them about D.O. if they were alive.

"Mr. and Mrs. Kim, you've raised a wonderful son. No words can describe him. He's such an outstanding guy, you've both done a good job. When Kai's time comes, he'll be with you guys again and you'll be a happy family again." D.O looked over at me, signaling me over. I walked over and thought about what else to say.

"Mom and dad, don't worry about me. Especially you, mom. I remember how you always used to worry about me. I'm doing great, now that I have Kyungsoo. I'm never alone anymore now that Kyungsoo is here with me," I stepped closer to D.O. and grasped his hand, interlocking our fingers.

I didn't even try to hold back my tears. My tears stained my face and fell onto my shirt. D.O looked over at me and pulled me into his chest, wrapping his arms around me. He was comforting me. I cried into Kyungsoo's shoulder.

The fact that the people who gave me life, raised me, and loved me, were gone, it tore me apart. As if something were eating me from the inside out. Before I met D.O, sleepless nights occured. Nights where I stayed up all night crying happened, too. When I'm with D.O, he makes me so happy. So, so, happy. He actually cares about me and loves me. I haven't felt happy in 12 years. D.O was the solution to my problems.

I pulled away from the hug. D.O looked at me with questioning eyes. "Thank you." Those big, round eyes gazed into mine. D.O smiled and kissed my forehead.

I sniffed, then made my way to my parents' graves. I kneeled down, kissed my index and middle finger, then placed it on the ground. Every year when I come here, I always give my parents a good-bye kiss before I leave.

I stood up again. "Mom, dad, see you next year." I smiled and let the last few tears fall from my eyes.

When I caught up to D.O, he reached for my hand and held it. "Are you okay?" he asked. I nodded. We made our way to D.O's house.