Connections 9

Connections

Seunghyun stared at the magazine cover. Karin's face was everywhere since Taeyang's MV premiered. Netizens who were curious to know who the female lead was quickly found her information online. They had been even more thrilled to know that she was Jiyong's cousin. 

He recalled the CF he had seen of her promoting a local departmental store on TV last night. Now she was on the covers of both the men's lifestyle magazine and on Korea Vogue too. 

Seunghyun shoved his hands deeper into his pockets and walked away. Summer had passed and autumn was nearing its transition to winter too. He's overheard a number of phone calls that Jiyong had with Karin but she had never once appeared in front if him again. Seunghyun was assured however that Jiyong's romantic interest in her had waned - well, he'd better be since he had been pawing a girl at NB last night. 

Karin was back in Seoul again. He knew that she was in an interview right now with a local celebrity news reporter together with Jiyong. It was conveniently held at YG so he was going to wait. 

He continued down the corridor and saw the reporter taking his leave just as he reached their studio. "Thank you for your hard work!"

"Hyung!" Jiyong smiled and waved cheerfully when he entered the room. Seunghyun nodded his greetings as he removed his shades. Karin wasn't in the room with him. Jiyong noticed his searching eyes.

"Hyung! I have an appointment to rush to... Karin went to the restroom but she'll be back for her bag. Could you send her back to her hotel for me?" Jiyong gathered his things quickly and hurried towards the door. "Tell her I'll bring her out for dinner tomorrow."

Seunghyun grinned. "Yah! If you really want to help you should just give me her number!" Jiyong laughed. "Ani Hyung! She'll complain that I'm trying to complicate her life. I can only do so much. I'm not exempted from death you know!"

"Who's not exempted from death?" Karin asked as she entered the room. She was startled to see Seunghyun. Jiyong gasped dramatically while checking his watch.

"Sorry Karin! I've got to go but Seunghyun Hyung will send you back, see you tomorrow!" Karin tried to grab him but Jiyong was too fast for her. 

She gave a small sigh and started packing. But she still had her manners, no matter how awkward. "Seunghyun sshi, it's been a while. Thanks for taking care of my cousin and sorry that he requested you send me back. I'll be able to find my own way back so there's no need to inconvenience you." She bowed and when she rose, Seunghyun's hand was on her forehead.

"Do you have a fever? No? Why are treating me like a stranger suddenly? All the fame getting to your head?" Seunghyun asked with a serious voice. Karin looked up immediately thinking he had really taken offense but he was smiling. 

Karin willed herself not to turn red but she knew it was a losing battle judging from how hot her cheeks felt now. Seunghyun laughed and steered her out from the room. "Let's go for dinner!" 

20 minutes later, they were comfortably seated at a barbecue restaurant that Big Bang frequented. Karin fidgeted, clearly not comfortable being with him. Seunghyun ordered for them and poured a glass of soju for her. 

"The last time I saw you, I think you said you're a good actress. Even if you're uncomfortable, can't you act otherwise? Pretend we're filming now," Seunghyun said with a small smile. Karin found his suggestion so absurd that she actually laughed. 

"There's always a script and a backstory to the characters when I'm acting, There's no script now and our backstory... That's just awkward," Karin picked on her kimchi while holding his gaze. Seunghyun knew he'd managed to catch her interest and it was a good start. 

"Hmm... No script but you can improvise. I can give you a backstory," Seunghyun said as he leaned forward, biting his lower lip while thinking. Karin couldn't take her eyes off his little movements. She almost got a shock when Seunghyun's eyes flew open once he got an idea.

"Here it is... I was a senior in your high school and used to bully you a lot then. But not too viciously! Just the teasing and pranking kind..." Karin laughed! Definitely a good sign! "And we are all grown and mature now. You're a florist and I bought flowers from you. I saw your nametag and tadah! We're catching up over dinner now!" 

Karin was laughing really hard now. "Florist? Me? I've never kept a plant before in my whole life!" Seunghyun smiled at her reaction and started cooking the meat. "But why were you buying flowers? For your girlfriend?" 

Seunghyun smirked. "Oh, so you're ok with the backstory? We're acting already? You have to say Action!"

Karin laughed even louder. "Oh really?! Fine! I can't lose to you in imagination too! I'll show you how good my acting can be!" 

========================

The night had gotten much colder by the time they had finished dinner. Karin was still laughing at how ridiculous their role playing had turned out. Apparently, Seunghyun was a chicken farmer who had bought flowers from her for his pet dog who only eats rose petals. AND he was considering a career switch to a fisherman but was worried he won't be able to get fresh rosé petals for his dog if he was out at sea. 

"You had fun?" Seunghyun asked. Karin smiled and asked, "Are the cameras switched off already? No more chicken farmer?" 

Seunghyun helped pull her coat tighter around her. Karin calmed her laughter and took a deep breath of the cold air. "Karin ah, life can still be good even if it gets complicated."

She didn't say anything and wasn't meeting his eyes. Seunghyun could feel the awkwardness creeping back to them. "I'm going to show you that love is not complicated. I'm going to be honest to myself and do whatever I feel I should do so that I won't have regrets later. You can push me away if that's how you really feel. But don't be hasty until you know how you really feel.  You're a good actress but don't act in front of yourself." 

Karin nodded silently. Seunghyun was about to lead her to his car when he heard her mumble something softly. He turned back to her. 

"Sorry, did you say something?"

Karin straightened her back and met his eyes as confidently as she could. She cleared . "I said 'Oppa! I want to get ice cream on the way back.'"

Seunghyun's boyish grin made Karin look away in embarassment. He was tempted to hug her but he didn't want to scare her off. He tried to play it cool, "only idiots eat ice cream in winter!"

"yah! Did you just call me an idiot?!" Karin tried to  step on his shoe. Seunghyun dodged easily and caught her arm. 

"Stop sulking. OPPA will buy you ice cream now! "