Chapter 7 - HongJi Couple

Seduced In Sleepless City Vol 2

Zelo's company was located right between Gangnam and Dosan.

It looked like it was a renovated room from what used to be residential apartments.

And Zelo was the only one in the company. "Jiyoon,would you like coffee or tea?"

"Umm, I'll have tea."

"All right then, I'll put on some ceylon tea today."

It was the first time I had truly been alone with Zelo since that night at the Casino hotel. And of course,it was the first time since I've learnt he was a con artist.

Putting aside the games we had played together when we went to the Casino last night, it was hard to approach Zelo normally.

"Here you go Jiyoon." Zelo set out tea for two on the table.

He did it skillfully enough that I found myself watching,impressed.

"Now then, shall we?"

"Yes."

Treat work and private life seperately. I take a deep breath and swallowed my melancholiness.

"Then here's my first question for you. What prompted you to start this business?"

"Hmm,let me see.."

The questions I'd thought up led to answers that created even more questions.

As I continued with our interview, I wrote my info down in a notepad.

One hour later, with the tea all drunk up. "That ends our interview for today! Thank you very much."

I closed my notepad and put away my writing implement, and Zelo tapped his forefinger on the table.

"What?" I gave him a questioning look.

"You're being awfully reserved today. What are you nervous about?"

"I-I'm not nervous."

"We're alone now. Do you want to pick up where we left off before?"

He softly took hold of my arm.

Just then, I had no idea of what I should do.

I wanted to trust him. But I couldnt trust him. I couldnt sort it out for myself and that bothered me.

I reflexively shook off his hand.

"Oh, sorry."

Zelo gave a troubled smile. "Hey, Jiyoon. What is it that you really want to ask?"

"Errr."

"There is something right? Something you want to say but you cant. I can probably guess, though."

"Well,I guess I just think that cons are wrong."

Oh, I said that in a wrong way.

Zelo flinched, looking hurt.

"Sorry. Thats not what I.."

"So you say that too huh? I guess everyone's like that."

"What?"

"You can go now," he dismissed me, rose to his feet and walked right out on me.

"Let me finished my sentence.." I muttered to the empty, silent room that I had been left in.

"Argh, I'm such an idiot!!"

I grabbed my bag and rose to my feet, then ran out of the office after Zelo.

Zelo..

Where could he be? Come to think of it, I dont know any of his normal hangouts spots.

"Excuse me, Miss?"

"Huh?" A fortune teller beckoned me over.

The fortune teller was sitting next to a lantern that read,'Palm Readings'.

"Can I help you?" I asked him.

"You're looking for something right? You must listen to the story in May?"

"May? Whats that supposed to mean?"

"I know not. Think it over carefully."

May huh? This isnt a good time to put on my thinking cap

. Hyun Joong! I know, I can ask Kim Hyun Joong!

"If you're not sure where to find something, decide with your heart. Trust is whats important."

Trust huh.

The fortune teller held out a hand.

"And that will be $50."

"What? That's crazy steep!"

I parted with $30 after haggling the price down and headed to the Casino, still feeling rather put off.

It took a while to catch my breath upon reaching the Casino.

"Oh if its isnt Ms Jeon. Whats the matter? Did you run here?"

"Sorry." "No, dont be. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Hyun Joong. I need your help! I think I said something that really hurts Zelo. He went off somewhere. Do you have any idea where he might have gone to?"

"Zelo did?"

"Tell me what should I do? Where do I search for him?"

Hyun Joong set a hand on my shoulder.

"Its all right. Knowing Zelo, he's probably out playing right now."

"But he really didnt look like he was out to play!"

He laughs at how anxious I am. "I am not kidding, I really think he is. When times like this happens, he plays with children."

Hyun Joong pulls out a fountain pen,wrote something on a sheet of paper, and handed it over to me. "I think this is where you'll find him."

I looked and saw an address scrawled on the sheet. "Umm, what is this?"

"Go and see for yourself,"he said with a slight smile. "You heard the truth from Zelo didnt you?"

I was stunned for a moment when he called me out so directly, but I gave a nod in response. "I guess all of you must have known."

"Yes and judging from how things went yesterday, I figured that you were at a loss."

"You nailed it. Its enough to make me frustrated with myself."

"I could hear you out if you were willing to talk about it."

I gave him an unsure look.

"It might make you feel better to share it with someone else."

Maybe I should take him up on that and talk about it.

"I wanna know why Zelo started being a con artist."

"Now thats a surprise. Zelo was right, you really do pierce right through to the heart ot the matter."

Zelo must have talk about me with Hyun Joong a lot.

"It would be a simple matter to tell you but..It might be better for you to find that out yourself, Ms Jeon."

"Sorry?"

"I'll say this much. The reason we accept Zelo among us isnt because we're in on it with him. Thats how strong of a conclusion we've reached after considering the matter."

I see. I felt a little relieved to hear that.

"Then what makes you accept him, Hyun Joong?"

"Because Zelo doesnt pull con for the sake of personal greed."

"Does that mean..?"

"You should ask Zelo the rest yourself. He'll snap at me if I say anymore."

He flashed me a cheerful grin. "I think Zelo is waiting for you."

"Huh?"

"Well, he left right?"

"Yes, and?"

"Zelo doesnt show his weakness to others easily.Even we only see that side of him once in a blue moon."

Hyun Joong put the fountain pen in his pocket and saw me off with a smile.

 

The place in the address is a foster home called 'Sea Breeze Garden'.

I stood at the gate.

The place was a cozy looking building akin to a kindergarten.

"May I help you with something?" a man wearing an apron asked.

"Oh, I was just looking for someone."

"A person, hmmn? Would you happen to be Ms Jeon?"

I nodded. "I thought so. My name is Kwangsoo. I'm the Director of this garden. I heard the story from Mr Kim."

"I see, from Hyun Joong. But I apologize for asking so suddenly but is Zelo here?"

"Yes, he is here. He's playing with the children right now. He does a lot of voluntary work for us."

"Voluntary?"

It seemed far from Zelo's image.

From what I'd heard at the Casino and University, Zelo always charged to help others out.

"Umm, how long have Zelo been volunteering here?"

"Lets see. When he was young, he was at home alone most of the time. So he came over here pretty often to play."

"Is that right?"

"The first time I saw him,I'd say he was probably a first-grader on the elementary school. The kids that lived here, brought him to play."

It goes that far back?

"Oh, I actually have a picture from back then. It was a field trip to a potato farm. Hold on, I'll bring it over."

"W-wait!"

He's gone.

I've never heard anything about Zelo's childhood.

I wonder if Mr Kwangsoo knows that Zelo is running cons.

 

"Thanks for waiting Ms Jeon." Mr Kwangsoo flipped through an old photo albun in his hand. "Here we go."

He pulled out a photograph.

It had a boy that looked just like Zelo, only much younger.

Whoa! He's so adorable.

"Eversince he came from Switzerland, he comes by every now and then to play with the children.

"I see."

"Zelo's such a nice boy. This whole place is propped up by kindhearted people."

"Wow, is that right?"

"This facility is running on donations."

"Come to think of it, we've been getting regular anonymous donations ever since he got back."

"Do you mean Zelo might be?"

"No, no. I didnt say that. I was just implying that we've gotten more donations since he returned. The way I see it, someone kindhearted like Zelo is donating to us." Mr Kwangsoo smiled cheerfully.

Since he was a con artist, I had an image of him being greedy for money but... Maybe I just didnt know Zelo well enough.

"Sorry to keep you for so long. Thank you very much." I bowed my head to Mr Kwangsoo and spoke with an anxious look.

"Are you sure you dont want to drop for a word with Zelo?"

"No, I think I can wait for him at the gate. I dont want to interfere.."

"Oh I see. In that case, you can just wait in my office."

"Oh, I couldnt possibly.."

"Director!" One of the children came running around the garden and came up and clung to Mr Kwangsoo's leg, panting.

"You look like you're having fun. Playing bad guys?"

"Nope,playing hero!"

I found myself sputtering out the word hero.

I get it. So thats why Zelo uses the word hero all the time.

Just then I felt eyes on me and looked up.

Zelo was looking at me, red as tomato.

"What are you doing here Jiyoon?"

"Well, I hmm,"

"It was Hyunnie wasnt it? He told you right?"

I couldnt help but laugh, seeing Zelo in more of a tizzy than I had ever seen him in before.

"Zelo, you're so cute!"

He was blushing hard.

"Thats not flattering to hear you say like that. And you're even with the Director?"

"Yeah, we were discussing about the old times."

"What were you talking about?"

Mr Kwangsoo and I exchanged glances.

"Thats our little secret," I told him with a wink.

"Wait, what?"

"Hey,is this the chick you like Zelo Hyung?"Child A asked. "

Now,now. If you use words like chick, the ladies wont like you. You should say lady."

"Okay, is that the lady you like?"Child B asked.

"Zelo hyung, didja smooch her yet?"Child A asked.

Zelo winked at them and asked,"What do you think?"

"Zelo, you're supposed to deny it"

Oh, it kind of feels like we're back to normal. Zelo  seem to notice that as well.

 

"Sorry for taking off like that."

"No, I should be the one saying sorry."

Our eyes met and we smiled to each other.

We were riding a taxi after leaving the the foster home.

We sat at the back, side by side of each other, looking at the scenery outside.

"Say Jiyoon." "Hmm" "Why'd you come all the way here today?"

"Well, you left without even letting me finish."

"Hey, I felt really bad right then,"Zelo said and gave an exaggerated sigh.

"Aww, I'm sorry." His face perked up.

"Just kidding sweetie! Its fine. You came after me and all."

"You see, when I hears about what you do, I really didnt understand you well. I couldnt tell if I could trust you or is I was being fooled."

"And even so, you came after me? Thank you sweetie."

"You didnt have to thank me."

"But it took courage to go after me, didnt it? I appreciate it."

"Good coz I was afraid you'd turn me away."

"How can I ever do that?"

After a short while with no reaction from Zelo, I gave him a sidelong glance.

Zelo's head rested on my shoulder.

Wow, he's fallen asleep. How cute. Looking at him asleep, he look  like a child still filled with innocence

. I rested my head gently on his, trying not to wake him up.

'Promise. Watch me even if just for a little while.'

"I'll keep that promise."

I doubt that he heard me. But it was alright. After all, Zelo would pick up on my feelings.