Chapter 5 - HongJi Couple

Seduced In Sleepless City Vol 2

I thought absently to myself as I poured creamer into the instant coffee powder in a mug.

Zelo says he's not a con man.

But there was that whole thing yesterday. I think it goes beyond scope of what normal people could do.

"Hey, you okay there Jiyoon,"

"Yes...?'

I looked behind me and saw the Chief Editor staring at my hands.

"Arent you putting in way too much?"

"What?"

"Its not normal to put in 10 spoonfuls of creamer to your instant coffee."

I promptly stopped. 'Oh did I put in too much?'

"Are ...you alright?"

"Sorry."

"No problem Jiyoon but about that Choi Junhong manuscript though, it needs a do-over."

What? A do-over?!

"Its kind of superficial. You can look up everything there on a web search."

"I'm sorry Chief.."

I guess people who read it would notice that....

"How would you write a story on someone who never opens up about themselves?"

"Mn.. In that situation, the big thing is just not giving up. I'm sure I told you this before but its important to sink your teeth in and geth the truth out."

"Dont give up huh...?" I repeat.

"Its not easy by any stretch...And if you overdo it, you'll end up like a stalker, so watch your step, all right?"

He's right. And he's even given me a chance to do it over....

"All right, I'll give it another go! Thank you so much."

"Yeah, that's the spirit!"

Once Chief  left, I took a drink of the coffee I made.

Urghh,  soooo milky....

My brows wrinkled together and my lips puckered.

 

We were in an ultra- high- class restaurant with interiors reminscent of a royal palace, getting material for the gourmet page.

We were given the dishes we had used for photographing.

It was Chief Editor, the cameraman, the stylist, the model and myself, all around a table.

The restaurant had an enforced dress code and the chef was considerate enough to show us to a place out of view from the surrounding patrons.

"Well, now we've gotten the dessert, I think its about time we got back huh?"

"Oh, do you mind if I wash my hands first?"I asked.

"Sure thing."

I rose and glanced at the window and saw someone who bore a surprising resemblance to Zelo.

But he was wearing glasses and had a softer look to him.

It was the picture of what Zelo might look like in a few more years.

Could it be a brother of Zelo's?

But he's an only child, isnt he?

I caught a glimpse of the face of a man sitting across from the Zelo lookalike.

It reminded me of the newspaper article I'd seen circled when I was gathering material at his college and it'd fallen out of his bag.

Is that the CEO of that shady business doing high-pressure sales to the elderly?

What do I do? This is so suspicious....

"Jiyoon? What's wrong?"

"I'd like to get closer to that table. I was trying to think of a good way to do it."

"That table with those two men? What for?'the model asked.

"Um, well that younger looking man..."

I cant tell the truth....

What do I do?

"It's-Its love at first sight!"

The model's eyes shined and she grabbed my hand with a tight squeeze.

"I understand Jiyoon!"

"Hmm?"

"I know that can happen for real! I''ll be cheering you on, okay?!"

"Oh thanks," I looked at her and forced a smile.

"So you're the type to fall in love at first sight huh? And so proactive too!" Chief commented.

"If thats the way it is, I'll help too,"the stylist said.

"I cant offer much but I'll cheer you on in my heart. Do your best and leave no regrets," the cameraman said as he pats my shoulder.

Gee, they really fell for it.

I'm so sorry for lying like this.

Everyone got so into dolling me up, I felt more incredibly guilty.

Chief put in a good word for me and got me a seat next to those men.

I drank red wine they served me and listened in on the conversation.

Mm, his voice does sound like Zelo.......

But the way he enunciates doesnt sound much like him....

This guy speaks in a courteous way. He sounds like a mature, competent adult.

Then I think its about time we got down to business,"the CEO said.

"Oh Mr CEO. Before that, could I ask you to wait just for a moment?"

The Zelo lookalike rose and approached my seat.

What?!

"Jiyoon?"

He called my name in hushed tones and I looked up timidly.

He's onto me...Wait, that really is Zelo!

"Z-Zelo...??"

He heaved a heavy sigh.

"There's a lot I'd like to ask you but now isnt the time."he said. "I'll get in touch with you later if you could just...."

"Who's your friend, Mr Choi?"the CEO asked, standing behind Zelo.

"Oh, for crying out loud,"he muttered under his breath.

Zelo got a downcast, resigned look on his face then turned to face the CEO.

"I'm terribly sorry, I should have introduced you sooner. This is my assistant, Miss Jiyoon."

Wh-what is he talking about?

"Oh? You have an assistant in this line of work?'

"Yes, I'm terribly sorry. I'm very short-staffed. But you can relax. She's a professional too."

Zelo looked briefly my way and spoke in a soft tone that the CEO wouldnt hear."

"Jiyoon. Honestly, I didnt mean to get you wrapped up in this but...I might end up wrapping you in my game."

Zelo said with a serious face, giving off a more mature impression than usual.

"If you want to bow out, now's the time. Beyond here lies a world completely unknown to you, Jiyoon."

"Goodness......."

"You are to tell no obne about what goes on here. If you cant manage that, leave now!"

He told me that with an imperative expression. I cast my eyes downward.

I...I cant turn back now...

"All right..."

"Good, then I'm looking forward to it. All you have to do is sit there and keep quiet, okay?'

 

Listening to the conversation unfold, it sounded like the two of them were discussing business negotiations.

"All right. ATen million should do for the cleaning fee this time." Zelo said. "Starting at 3pm tomorrow, I'll make adjustments to ensure the media doesnt raise a fuss over this matter."

Ten million? Is that?

The CEO nodded. 'Yes, I'm sure it will be a simple matter for you. I heard you were good."

"Of course. I take seriously any job that's asked of me. And I always finish it."

"Then, I'll make payment to the usual account. Excuse me."

"I do look forward to doing business with you sir."

Zelo watched the CEO leaves, then turned back towards me.

He looked so serious. "Jiyoon"

"Yes?'

"What are you doing here. Explain yourself."

Zelo's threatening look pierced right thru me.

I cant lose this....I swallowed my urge to flinch and spoke,"I'd also like to ask something..What was all that about just now?"

'Cleaning . Clean up. Admittedly it is a special manner of clean up."

"That can't be it! Even I cant imagine 10 million for...."

Zelo quickly cover a hand over my mouth.

"You're being too loud."

"Sorry."

Wait, why should I apologize?

"Things went the way they did this time more or less by accident, but... I have my own reasons for doing this. So dont meddle around."

"Zelo, are you a con artist?"

Some people calls me that."

I got angry. "How, how can you just casually admit to that?"

"Hey, if I tried to hide, you'd just try to nail me anyway right?"

"Well, true."

"Honestly...I didnt want you to know about this Jiyoon."

"Howcome?"

"Who could say? Wouldnt you like to know?" he teased with a self-deprecating laugh.

"So..why did you nominate me for this coverage. Were you going to use me for something?"

Zelo let out a huff.

"Not at all. If I'd planned on that Jiyoon, I'd have used a different way to get close to you."

"Then why?"

"I was just interested in you. You're so pure and simple and fun to talk to."

What to do? If I doubted him once over this, it would open the floodgates.

No matter how Zelo answered, it all sound like lies.

"Well, with this behind us, you're now an accomplice Jiyoon."

"What?!"

"So keep this as our little secret, hmm?"

"Secret?"

"I trust you, okay?"

"You cant do that! I'm...."

"I understand that it might disturb you Jiyoon, so if all of this isnt enought to settle you..Promise."

I looked into his eyes... Tryingg my best to try and believe in him.

"Watch me, even its just for a little while. If you still want to interfere and report me to the police after that, you can do so."

"Does that mean?"

"If you decide that, I'll disappear from your life forever." Zelo smiled as he spoke. His eyes was slightly misty.

"Forever...? Why would you go that far?

"Didnt I tell you? Because I have something I want to do. Well, shall we get back Jiyoon?"

"Zelo.."

"Yes?"

"I...I dont understand you Zelo."

He slowly looked up at me.He made a brief contact with me as if trying to gauge my intent, the averted hiseyes with a pained look.

Why that look?

"I guess you wouldnt. I act the way I o to keep everyone from understanding me. But I never expected to hear that from you this way Jiyoon..."

"If you dont share what's on your mind, I couldnt possibly understand you. Show some effort, share just a little with me..."

"Thats why I didnt want you to know."

"Why?"

"No reason but hey, there's something more important."

Zelo gazed at me silently, then smiled pointedly.

I blushed at his gaze.

"You're so drssed up. Jiyoon-ah, you're so gorgeous."

"Oh...oh yeah. I'm impressed that you recognized me. I got others to dress me up so that I wouldnt be recognized. For a moment, I didnt even recognize myself in the mirror."

Giggle ."I knew it was you right from the start Jiyoon! You were so gorgeous, it caught my eye."

"Thank you. I'm a little embarrassed hearing tht from you with such a straight face."

"Its the tuth. I was surprised too, for that matter. Normal people never recognize me in disguise. With the right tone and demeanor and a change in posture, I never get recognized..."

"Oh really?'

"Yeah, you're amusing Jiyoon. And I'm flattered you recognize me too. You notice me that much, hmm?"

"That's not quite it,"I denied. "The atmosphere you gave off was a lot like Zelo."

"I'll always have eyes only for you Jiyoon..."

I found my poor hart pounding again as he gazed at me with a gentle smile.

But I wasnt sure of how I felt, being unable to see what lay on th other side of that smile.

 

Text Received ~

Looks like I got you involved...Well, what happened today shall be our secret, all right? You cant tell anybody. You sure saw thru my disguise! Anybody else would have never known its me. There's something between us after all.

By the way, I have to say this again. You were so beautiful tonight. I suddenly wanted o scoop you up in my arms ^.^ Well I didnt get the chance to do that today but if I see you looking like that again, get ready because I'm gonna hold tight and never let go.

Goodnight

Zelo

 

 

End Of Chapter