Chapter 6 - HongJi Couple

Seduced In Sleepless City Vol 2

It was the day after Zelo's confession that he was a con artist.

I've been feeling sluggish al morning.

Cons could mean phone swindlers, marriage swindlers...Of course it was far from a clean image...

I had to continue gathering material and I had to meet up with Zelo regardless of anything else.

Frankly speaking, I am at loss on how to approach Zelo from now on."

"Got a moment Jiyoon," Chief asked.

"Oh hi Chief."

"I read your proposal. You've gota good viewpoint but...you have a little trouble when it comes to digging deep."

"I am sorry Chief!"

"What you need is some self confidence. If you were confident enough, you could dig up good material."

Come to think of it, Zelo told me the same thing.

"So, I want you to try again."

"Yes sir. Thank you for reading it."

"Sure thing. I've got high hopes for the next one. Dont rush, just take your time and do the best you can."

He glanced at his watch and switch on the TV that was situated in the room.

The 6 o'clock news should be starting soon.

"Come on , dont turn on the TV during work! Its distracting,"one of the editors complained.

"What's the problem? Reporters should take an interest in everything, We should have an eye for news."Chief said.

"Next in the news.." the Anchor reads out. "In the past year, there has been a surge of exposure for the crooked businessmen commonly referred to as the shady business. This is another moment of exposure for them."

"I've been hearing a lot about them lately,"Chief told us. "Well, I'm sure its better for the world and the people if corrupt businesses just go away, but..."

"You cant just do bad things, huh?" I spoke out.

"Sweet Corporation has been raising alarms with vicious-pressure sales aimed at the elderly. Today, its representative director and CEO Lee Byung Hyun has been arrested on suspicion of tax evasion."

Mm.. I've seen him before...

"Oh!"I suddenly remembered.

"What's with the sudden yelp? You know that guy?" Chief asked.

I shake my head. "No, its nothing, never mind."

Its him! The one Zelo made arrangements with, the othert day!

Did Zelo orchestrate his arrest today too?

If he did...That should mean the investigation wont reach him ...right?

'What's wrong? You're looking pale,"he commented.

"I-I'm totally fine sir..Sorry to worry you."

I dont want to believe it, but everything that happens just points more and more at Zelo being a con artist....

I started to get ready to head home, filled with a sense of gloom.

 

I left the office and stretched luxuriously.

Tomorrow I's be covering Zelo.

 I had to prepare myself mentally as that I could talk to him like normal.

"Aww, for goodness sake! Why am I getting so bent out out of shape over this? Zelo, U DUMMY!"

I said out loud before someone was wrapped around me from behind.

"Jiyoon, I hope you had a good day at work."

"Aaack!"

Giggle.

"Its me. I'm here!!"

"Y-you're here? What are you even doing here?'

"Why, waiting for you, of course. I suddenly felt like seeing you. Say, did you just call me a dummy?"

'A-haha. You must be hearing things."

He laughs. "Okay, I can leave it at that."

There's no telling where or when someone might be listening...

"If you're free, could you join me at the Casino?"

"What for?'

I grew defensive and Zelo got a perplexed smile.

"Jiyoon, there's no need to be so scared."

"Sorry....." 

"Hyunnie called me up there,"he explained. 'I'll be doing some villian dispatching and I thought you might like to join me."

"Villian dispatching...? Do you mean you're going to pull a con there?"

"Well,'he shrugged. "It doesnt have to be limited to that... What's your plan, Jiyoon?'

Well, I'm not going to make any progress if I take off running right here...

"All right, Zelo. I'll join you,"I said in resignation and Zelo's expression grew relieved.

"Oh, good. Thank you. I wasnt expecting you to agree to go. I'm a little flattered...Thanks."

I was a little taken aback by Zelo's uncharacteristic modesty.

"I'll do what I can to show you my cool side, Jiyoon."

"Your cool side..? That doesnt sound too promising."

"Isnt being cool better than being uncool? Or were you hoping to see my uncool side?'

"I'd kind of like to."

Giggle. "I'm not showing you," Zelo said with his usual smile.

 

When we reached the Casino, Hyun Joong came right away to greet us.

"Long time no see, Miss Jeon."

"Yes, long time no see Hyun Joong.'

He turns his attention to Zelo,"Sorry to drag you into this mess, Zelo."

"Its fine,I've got some free time on my hands anyway now that I've beaten a game. So, is the group here?"

"Yeah, they just arrived. They're probably going to pull something in the card games."

"Oh? They must be pretty skilled. Are they slipping it by the dealer ?"

Hyun Joong sighed. "No, the dealer's probably also in it too.."

"Is that so...?"

Zelo considered for a moment, then looked up at me. "Then your role tonight Jiyoon, is to be my girlfriend."

I shake my head vehemently."I'm not helping again....No way..."

"All you have to do is enjoy yourself like normal. You dont have to do anything,"he cajoled. "Besides, I wont do anything bad."

"That's still asking a lot!"

"I'm asking you as well,"Hyun Joong pleads and bowed his head to me.

"Whao, hey! Please, you dont have to bow!"

"I'm terribly sorry to drag you into this, but...Please."

Sigh...Hyun Joong is going this far...

"All right...'

"Hey, you sure about this? Have you been keeping up with the talk?" Jae Joong asked.

"I-I have been..." I answered.

"Guess you wouldnt,'he said. "The buzz is that there's a group of guys cheating to win in this Casino.And they're pretty nasty stuff."

"I cant wait to see what Zelo pulls on them,"Yoochun said as he folds his arm.

"Yoochun, this is no time to joke around."

"It'll be fine. Whatever you may think of me, Zelo's got my full confidence. He's never lost at this kind of game.

Confidence huh....Zelo is really good, but....

"What...You dont trust in him?" Jae Joong asked when I look at doubly at Zelo.

"I'm just worried about Zelo."

"What are you his mother or something?'

I make a face at Yoochun. "Come on, Zelo's so reckless! He may have done well so far but that doesnt mean he's safe from trouble in the future."

"And that's what makes it a great novel material for me.'

"W-what are you saying?"

Come to think of it....Do these people know Zelo is a con artist?

"But Zelo and my brother are Casino pros. Zelo puts on an especially good performance."

"But if the other guys hurt him....."

"What? It'll be fine whatever happens. He's a first-rate swindler."

Swindler.....? And first-rate to boot...?

"Say, Jiyoon, do you know how to play poker?"Lee Joon asked.

"Oh yes. Its a game where you get a hand with five cards and you compete for scoring combinations like royal straight flushes and full houses right?"

"Well done. That's all you need to know."

"But I only know enough to play for fun. Casino is out of my league...."

"You'll be fine with Zelo there. Just trust him."

"Right..."

"Okay, all reay. Shall we go Jiyoon?'

"Oh sure!"

We all spilt off into our different Casino rooms. 

 

There were four players at the table. The two targets men, myself and Zelo.

The first hand.

The men had one pair and two pairs.

Zelo had two pairs and I had a straight.

Wow, I just sort of won there without even trying...Wait, should I even have won there?

I grew a little flustered and tugged at Zelo's sleeve.

 "What's wrong?"

"Um, I won..Is that okay?"

"Of course! Heheh, you're a goddess of victory sweetie."

But, isnt the whole point for Zelo to win?

The second hand. The men both had two pairs.

Zelo had one pair, and I had a full house.

What is this? Wh-What's going on?!

Going thru the next two games, I won big.

Am I really good at this....?

When the fourth hand ended, Zelo looked at me with a light titter.

'That's amazing Sweetie. Do we have a gambling genius defying appearances on our hands here?

I smiled shy at him. Since we are pretending to be lovers, he has been calling me Sweetie. That makes my heart fluttered.

"I-I'm just a little lucky. That's all."

Having observed the way the game had been going, the men spoke up to me.

"That's really amazing! How about going big?" Man A suggested.

"We could each go all in...." Man B urged.

What? Betting all my chips?

Good idea. Lets wrap this up quickly. I'm getting tired anyway,"Zelo said.

I spoke quietly to Zelo,"Wait, Zelo...."

"What's wrong?'

"Betting all our chips...? We could lose a whole lot of money."

"It'll be fine. All we have to do is not lose right? I'll show you my cool side Sweetie. Watch close."

"That's easy for you to say.."

"All right, I'm in too,"Man A said to us.

"Then maybe I'll join in?"

"She's in too. Shall we do this?'

When I drew closer to Zelo and looked at his face, he looked dead serious.

"Playtime's over. i think its about time to get serious."

I found my heart making a leap at that look and I was left at a loss for words.

Then came the fifth game.

I cant believe this, I've got no pairs in a situation like this...

"I fold...I'm out."

'Is everyone else ready? Its time to show your hands,"the Dealer announced.

"They showed their hands first. One was a full house. The other was a straight flush.

A straight flush? Will Zelo be all right...?

'A straight flush,hmm? You've got quite the luck, getting a hand like that at the most critical moment." Zelo paused before smiling brightly at the two guys. "But I think I might be luckier."

Zelo's hand was a royal straight flush.

The gallery was abuzz.

The men kept their expression cool as they spoke.

"That's amazing!"

"Not at all,"Zelo replied. 'All I have to do is manupulate the cards the way you all do. Its much harder to win on real talent."

"Wh-what do you...."Man B said angrily.

"I noticed it right from the start. I suppose you only lost because you kept it in reason and sisnt go for the strongest hand. If you're going to cheat, you should always cheat to win."

Silence swept over the group.

Then the men took off running swiftly as they could for the Casino exit.

"You wont get away!" Zelo said out aloud.

Zelo made a might leap and brought down the fleeing men from behind.

Zelo looked into my direction and flashed me a bright smile.

 

"Thank you so much, both of you,'Hyun Joong said gratefully.

'It was nothing really,"Zelo said humbly.

"Sorry, I didnt help at all at the end there...'

"Oh, you couldnt have done anything there Sweetie. The dealer was manupulating the cards in every hand after the second."

"What? He was?"

"That's what helped me out. I dont think he was paying much attention to my hand, so it was easy to fix."

"Fix?"

"Just doing the same thing as them. Distracting them and swapping my cards to something more advantageous."

"That was quite a performance. I was keeping my eyes peeled the whole time and I still didnt notice a thing,'Lee Joon commented.

"I'd need to able to do much if I want to play the hero, right?' Zelo said with a glance at me.

"Sweetie, was I cool?"

"Yeah...You were cool...I guess."

"You mean it? Then after all my hard work and triumph, would the goddess of victory grant me a reward?'

"A reward?'

Zelo embraced me tightly.

"Hey! Zelo...let go of me!"

'Oh come on, I dont want to see your flirting,"Jae Joong said, rolling his eyes.

"What's the problem? Jiyoon how about giving the hero a kiss?"Yoochun suggested.

"What? No!"

Zelo let go of me and hung his head sadly. "Aww, and after all that good work..."

My heart was racing. If Zelo's words, his smile....If it was all a lie, what would I do?

Oh, I get it.....I'm afraid of trusting Zelo and having that betrayed.

I gave a small sigh, frustrated with my own weak attitude.

Text Received ~

Hiya Sweetie! You might just be a genius at gambling, you know that? We won because you were with me. Who knew that you were my personal goddess of victory?

We should've gotten a sweet reward after all that. I'll win us something next time..something for you. I cant wait!

Well, goodnight.

Zelo

 

 

Chapter Ends.......