Nine Point Eight

Looking for Angels [A Pandine Collaboration]
Please log in to read the full chapter

If you listen very closely, you can hear the whispering winds sing to you a lullaby of unspoken tales; of love, hope, reassurance, and faith. When you stand still on an empty field, or when you sit atop a rooftop counting the stars, or idly leaning against a trunk of a tree - the wind, it sings. It is clearest when you're alone, soaking in yourself as you traverse through your own labyrinth called 'I'. The song reaches out to a place inside you, whispers to you words and everyone from every tongue can comprehend it, because the wind sings in the language of the heart - the mother tongue of all.





Tiffany waited for Taeyeon on a wooden bench a top a rounded hill that gave a birds eye-view of Yeonsan's annual festival. The grass was dry below her feet, the rain clouds not daring to ruin the cheery festivities of the Yeonsan people with its wet tears. The girl breathed in the scent of the early evening wind, zipped up her light jacket and eyed the sun that was now preparing itself to set between the two emerald hills to the east. She was instantly reminded by the glowing smile of the little genius she had met two days ago in the train and the lasting words she said to her before leaving the train with both her parents and Jessica. 


“Tiffany-unnie, I can't find Taeyeon-unnie anywhere” Jessica said with a pout while she crossed her arms in frustration.

After being found by the little girl, Tiffany and Yuri were forced to help her find Taeyeon. They've been looking for almost half an hour now and still they had no luck in finding the girl.

“It can't be helped,” Tiffany said to Jessica, “you know hobbits are very good in hiding”

“Well, she better come out because we're nearing Yeonsan soon” Yuri said in an irritated manner. The little genius was frustrated as well since they had wasted so much time trying to find Taeyeon when they could have done something else with that time.

“We'll just have to look harder,” The eldest of the three simply replied, “It's not like she's hiding somewhere far, we're in a train after all”

With that said the three split up, Jessica going through one end of the train while Tiffany and Yuri going through the opposite end. Their faces turning left and right as they walked by the aisle of seats, trying to find any traces of the short haired girl.

“9.8 meters per second” Yuri randomly chimed from behind Tiffany.

“What?” she asked as she turned her head back to the raven haired girl.

“Rain,” Yuri simply answered, “it falls at that speed. If you're thinking that the wind would have a severe affect as to the speed of a falling rain drop, you'd be surprised that it doesn't. Wind from a perpendicular direction wouldn't affect the rain drop's speed rather the distance it travels.”

“How do you know this?” Tiffany asked incredulously.

The girl shrugged, “Pure speculation”

“And why are you telling me this, you lovestruck, sage-like, freaky little genius?”

“I'm just trying to analogize you're situation with Taeyeon-unnie to the rain”

Tiffany arched her eyebrows and spun around to completely face the little girl, “Eh?”

“The wind being the struggles you and her are going through. No matter how strong the wind is, moving in a perpendicular direction, it wouldn't affect the speed of which your heart falls for her, rather, the distance, or should I say time, for you to willingly and openly give your heart to her completely. Why not fight it Tiffany-unnie? Why not be the first rain drop to fight the stormy wind? Don't let it push you around as you move a great distance, no matter where you drift off to, you'll still be falling at 9.8 meters per second. Aren't you curious about what it feels like to hit the ground?”

“Where are you going with this?”

Yuri stared at her long and hard, knowing full well that Tiffany completely understood her. 

“Tell her” the raven haired girl uttered the words that had been playing on repeat ever since she first found out she was in love with her best friend.

Tiffany stood there speechless for quite a while. Ever since she was little, she had always with words. They got lost on the roof of . And when she needed to speak, words often failed her. This time wasn't any different. With a nervous chuckle, Tiffany finally said “Have I mentioned that you are also very highly opinionated for an eleven year old?” She patted Yuri on the head before continuing in a teasing manner, “Go bark up someone else's tree... preferably Jessica's”

Though she waved the topic off, she couldn't help but wonder if what Yuri said was really the right thing to do.

With a pout the raven haired nodded in defeat as she stomped away to find Taeyeon, but not without saying “You know, you should listen to me. There's a reason people call geniuses: geniuses.”

After a couple more minutes of searching for the short girl, Tiffany and Yuri turned their heads to the direction of two pairs of feet heading towards them. A victorious smile was plastered on Jessica's face as she held Taeyeon's hand.

“Found her!” the little girl simply announced.

------

The train stopped at the station in Yeonsan, it was finally time for them to head off. Taeyeon grabbed their bag before motioning for Tiffany to head to the doors. Slipping out of the train and onto the smooth cement, she turned back to see her best friend struggling with the strap of their bag, the sliding door closing behind her.

“Here let me help” Tiffany offered.

Taeyeon shook her head and replied, “No, it's okay. I got this”. The short girl walked over to one of the station's benches and plopped the bag down before fixing the strap with two hands.

A light tap on the shoulder redirected Tiffany's attention to the two eleven year girls who stood there side by side holding hands.

“Ooh,” Tiffany cooed as she eyed the two, “seems like you guys are finally hitting it off”

Instantly Jessica pried her hand from Yuri's grip. “Unnie!” she wailed in her high-pitched voice “it's not what you think. I'm just holding her hand so I won't lose Yuri and her parents. There are a lot of people here, and I'm afraid I'll get lost if I don't hold on to her”

“I believe you” Tiffany said with a wink, earning another shriek from the little girl.

Taeyeon was finally done adjusting the strap. Sauntering over to Tiffany she gently laid a hand on her shoulder and said, “Fany, I guess it's time to go”

Yuri, Jessica, and Tiffany instantly drooped their shoulders and sighed.

“Well alright, I guess it's time for goodbyes” Tiffany glumly replied. Turning her head to the two disappointed girls, she eyed Jessica and said “It was nice meeting you Ice Princess” she then shifted her gaze to Yuri “and freaky kid genius.”

“We'll meet again, right?” Yuri asked in anticipation, “maybe in the festival?”

Tiffany was instantly reminded of the Yeonsan festival. Springing her head to Taeyeon, she grabbed her best friend's arm before jumping up and down. “TaeTae, can we go? Can we?”

“Fany-”

“Please,” she interjected “it only comes once a year and-”

“Fine” Taeyeon easily gave in.

With a squeal of delight, Tiffany hugged her best friend before nodding to Yuri. “Yeah, we'll see you guys there”

“Promise?” Jessica asked in a cold voice. Though it didn't look like it, the little ice princess had grown attached to the two during the hour and a half train ride.

Taeyeon chuckled and saluted the girl. “Yes! Sarge!”

“Tiffany-unnie” Yuri said with a grin that ran from ear to ear.

“Yes?”

“Nine.Point.Eight”


 

♦♦ ♦♦ ♦♦



They never did meet the two girls again in the festival, the area was too big, and the people too numerous. Attempting to search for them would be worse than trying to find a needle in a haystack. Although the revelation of not keeping their promise to Yuri and Jessica saddened Tiffany, she was secretly delighted to have Taeyeon all to herself for the day. A smile scampered across her lips as she remembered the sweet moments between her and her best friend.



“TaeTae, get me that!” Tiffany voiced as she excitedly pointed to a white teddy bear that sat atop a shelf.

Taeyeon chuckled before conceding to her best friend's request. “Alright Fany, I'll try but I can't promise anything”

“Yay! Teddy bear!” She squealed in delight while completely ignoring Taeyeon's words as she dragged the shorter girl by the hand to the man in charge of the stall. “What do we need to do to get that bear?”

“Simple,” he answered as he pointed to the bottles that were stacked together to form a pyramid, “hit all the bottles down with this ball and you can get that bear”

“Perfect!” Tiffany voiced as she clamped her hands together, “One round please!”

With a nod, he grabbed the plastic ball and handed it to Taeyeon. The shorter girl eyed the bottles before looking back down at the ball. She took a deep breath before hurdling the ball in her hand towards the stacked bottles. It missed by an arms length.

Please log in to read the full chapter