To Laugh In The Rain

Looking for Angels [A Pandine Collaboration]
Please log in to read the full chapter

“When angels visit us, we do not hear the rustle of wings, nor feel the feathery touch of the of a dove; but we know their presence by the love they create in our hearts.” 
-Anonymous

 

The high elms swayed with the passing of the early afternoon zephyrs. The breeze, cool, crisp, and invigorating, wrapped its long arms around the two girls who were now wandering aimlessly along the paths of a local park in Cheongju. Taeyeon and Tiffany held hands as they allowed themselves to be submerged in the blissful atmosphere that hovered in the empty spaces like a seabird. Beams of refined gold seeped through the foliage of the trees that paneled alongside the cemented walkways, painting their faces in orange and rose. As luck might have it, their vehicle had died down near the border of Cheongju, just a few feet away from a bus stop. Tiffany had advised that they abandon the car there; near a ditch beside the road so that maybe someone out there would decide to pick it up and bring it back to life. Taking the bus, and asking the driver for directions, the pair got off at the stop beside the street where the park and the train-station met. Deciding not to waste the perfect weather, Taeyeon offered that they go on a walk before taking the hour and a half train ride.

“Hey, this is nice” Tiffany started with a brilliant smile that matched the twinkle in her eyes. She swung the arm that held Taeyeon's hand; a form of heartfelt communication that didn't need any words. Turning their leisurely walk into a skip, she dragged Taeyeon acquiescently along the path that s alongside the trees enrobed in ambrosial pink.

The shorter girl giggled in a jovial manner seeing Tiffany's gleeful state. “See, didn't I tell you this was a good idea?”

“Yeah, it reminds of the first time we met”

“Ah, you mean the time when you made me cry?” Taeyeon teased.

“I was trying to befriend you!” Tiffany defended with a pout, “It's not my fault you were so sensitive. TaeTae just admit it, you were such a crybaby back then”

The shorter girl rolled her eyes in response before casually scanning the area. Her eyes stopped at a small shack that sold various treats and snacks. Taeyeon unconsciously her lips as she fervidly ogled over the ice-cream buckets that lined the whole counter. Instinctively she patted her oversized bag that was strapped across her shoulder and down to her waist before beginning to rummage inside for her wallet.

“Fany, want some ice-cream?”

“Stop changing the subject” her best friend retorted 

Taeyeon sighed, “Fine, fine, I was a crybaby... and you, you were the bully who was victimizing an innocent crybaby. Happy? - Now let's go get some ice-cream” she exclaimed while dragging Tiffany towards the small stall.

After taking a few steps towards the shack, Taeyeon stopped abruptly after feeling a strong constricting pressure on her hand that was holding on to Tiffany. With a mixed expression of worry and confusion, she turned around to find a pale face. Her best friend's physical state changed so quickly, and it scared her.

“Fany, what's wrong?”

Tiffany let out a nervous chuckle, though it didn't sound like one at all; her breathing was shallow so it sounded more like a weak whimper instead. “I'm fine... I just got slightly dizzy for a bit”

“Maybe you should go take a seat” Taeyeon advised before gently leading her best friend to a nearby bench. Tiffany plopped down and leaned against the wooden board, allowing all her weight to be supported by the bench.

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows as she stared at the younger girl.

Tiffany sensed her friend's uneasiness and smiled up at her for assurance. “TaeTae, I'm fine”

“You don't look fine to me. Maybe taking a walk was a bad idea-”

“No really” the sick girl consoled, “I'll be alright. Maybe I just need to cool down for a bit, it's kind of getting hot out here.” Tiffany looked around the area for a while before gazing back at Taeyeon and showing her a smile, “Ice-cream will cool me down for sure!”

“You want me to get some for you?”

The younger girl nodded, “Uh huh, ice-cream always makes people feel better.” 

“Alright, stay right there. I'll be back soon” 

With that said, Taeyeon hurriedly ran towards the stall.

-- -- -- -- --

Watching Taeyeon's fading figure, Tiffany heaved a sigh of relief. She didn't want the shorter girl to see her like this, and so she told her to get them both some ice-cream – it would buy her the time to effectively hide her ill state. Wiping away the sweat from her palms, Tiffany immediately closed her eyes. All her strength and energy just minutes ago quickly evaporated as she sat there deadpan and queasy. The world slowly spun around her; she felt dizzy alright. With sweat arising from her forehead, Tiffany firmly clutched the hem of her shirt as she fought the various tremors. 

Tiffany, from the moment of being diagnosed with leukemia, already decided that she would fight through the illness alone because... looking at the worried and helpless expression of her best friend was worse than any pain inflicted by her disease. 

“1...2....3....4...” 

She was counting the seconds that had elapsed; a habit that emerged during her time in chemo. 

“121...122...123...”

Already she was feeling slightly better. Tiffany slowly released her grip on her shirt and finally let in a deep breath.

“Looks like it's going to rain soon,” a low drawled out voice conceded before following it with a husky chuckle.

Tiffany instinctively turned her head sideways and came face to face with a middle aged man. Stubble grew around the edges of his lips, running down to his chin and over to where it met with black sideburns. He appeared to be in his mid-forties though the heavy inflexibility of his eyes said otherwise. There was an aura of deep understanding in him that spoke far beyond his forty-or-so years. She was so engrossed in her therapeutic ritual that she failed to notice the man sitting beside her until now. 

The girl smiled but it came out all crooked. Looking up at the clear sky and then back at him, she said “It doesn't look like it”

“Never does when it's heavy rain,” he explained with an insightful smile, “It creeps in quietly so you'll only notice when it's too late. By that time, you'll already be drenched from the rain.”

'Just like terminal leukemia' she thought. With a slight nod she replied, “Well..um... thank you for telling me beforehand.”

“Are you okay?”

Please log in to read the full chapter