The Next Road Trip

Looking for Angels [A Pandine Collaboration]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Heroes know that things must happen when it is time for them to happen. A quest may not simply be abandoned; a happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story.
- Peter S. Beagle


Three years later.

A panel of cherry blossoms lined the winded pathway by the western outskirts of Gyeonju. Petals of enchanting bliss enraptured the quiescent space as it softly cascaded down to where a girl sat on a park bench. Falling, the shapes of heavenly blush whirled around in small spirals as the spring breeze danced with them to an exultant ballad. Zephyrs filled with the scent of distant memories embraced the girl and brought her to a sense of endless wistfulness. With the sun's euphoric rays seeping through the foliage of the trees, the radiating warmth of the serenading sunlight sent a smile to scamper across her lips. 

She flicked the screen off and shut the video camera.

Taeyeon was brought here again, always in this very place, always during early evening, and always at a specific day; trying to look for angels. And by looking for angels, she meant watching her very own angel in the camera's screen and trying to find peace through it. For three years it had become a daily habit of hers to watch the twenty-seventh clip made by her best friend. Sitting on the same bench she sat on when watching it for the first time, Taeyeon found solace in the familiarity of the scent the aging wood gave off. 

A blithe giggle chimed from her left, and she gently swayed her head to the direction of the spirited laugh. Smiling, Taeyeon watched as a little girl pedaled her way across the cemented path with her pink bicycle. Hair swaying along side the early evening breeze, Taeyeon couldn't help but to reminisce to that particular day when she first met her.

Unlike the first and second years of Tiffany's death, the nostalgia didn't cause her to curl up in a ball and weep, cursing the world of its cruelty and injustice, but instead, she did nothing but smile at the beautiful memories that flooded inside her mind. With the help of her best friend's encouraging words through the video clip, every day Taeyeon would little by little loosen the grip she had on her own personal balloon string. One day, she knew, that she would let go of the balloon completely and begin to really live again.

Breathing in the scent of the evening air, Taeyeon smiled. It was a smile unlike any other. A smile of understanding, of acceptance. A smile devoid of her best friend's lingering laughter, their many talks out by the playground, and their well-spent memories together, yet still, it was a smile that spoke volumes. 

Their quest was finally over. Their journey was finally complete. Their wish was finally fulfilled.

A ringing sounded from inside her pocket. Taeyeon instinctively grabbed her cell-phone inside and flipped open.

“Hello?” she started.

“Taeyeon-unnie?” the other line replied.

“Yes, who is this?”

“Oh! It's Yoona! How are you?” Yoona answered giddily.

“Oh, hi Yoona. I'm fine” Taeyeon said with a chuckle. “Anyways, do you need anything?”

“Oh yeah, I was going to ask you something” the younger girl from the other line retorted before following it with a laugh. “So, you know me and Seohyun renew our marriage vows every year on our anniversary, right?”

“Yes?” Taeyeon answered. 

Yoona and Seohyun got married ten months after Tiffany's passing away, and since the younger girl couldn't retain her memories of the special occasion, Yoona decided that it would be best to relive their wedding ceremony for their anniversary every year.

“Well,” Yoona voiced hesitantly, “I know that you never stepped foot outside of Gyeonju since coming there, but-”

She was right. Taeyeon never left Gyeonju. Taeyeon never left her best friend. For three years she never dared to leave the city, and when asked several times from her friends for her to visit, her typical answer would be a no. That included Sooyoung and Sunny's invitation for Taeyeon to join their family gathering in Gunpo, and for her to meet their new adopted son. It also included Yoona and Seohyun's invitation for their wedding, and after, their first anniversary as newly weds as well.

“But,” Yoona continued, “I'd still like for you to join us for our second anniversary. So Taeyeon-unnie, can you come?”

Taeyeon thought for a minute. She was treading the fine line between not wanting to fail her friends again, and not wanting to leave her best friend for the first time. Sooner or later she would have to choose one or the other. She bit her lower lip and answered, “Sure, I'll come”

“Really?” Yoona squealed in a delighted manner. “I'm so glad you're coming unnie. You don't know how much this means to me and Seohyun”

Taeyeon chuckled. “So where is it?”

“Oh, we decided to change it up and hold it in the same place where we first met; beside the Han River in Seoul. Two weeks from now. I'll email you all the other details.”

“Alright, I'll check it when I get home. Do you want me to bring the two troublemakers as well?”

“Troublemakers?” Yoona asked.

“Who else? - Yuri and Jessica” 

“Oh, sure, I'd love for them to come” There was a muffled sound coming from the other line followed by some shuffling. “Taeyeon-unnie, I'll call you again later. I forgot to wash the dishes and Seohyun will flip if she finds out. Ack, I see her coming through the driveway already.”

Taeyeon laughed. “Alright, thanks again for the invite Yoona. I'll talk to you later.”

She ended the call, but before she could place the phone back inside her pocket, a light chime rang to her left. Taeyeon jerked her head to the direction of the sound and was greeted by a small bicycle tire colliding with her left leg.

The little girl wailed as she tumbled down from her pink bike. Instantly Taeyeon stood up and helped the child up to her feet. It was the same girl whom she saw earlier.

“You should be more careful next time” Taeyeon said with a smile.

The girl adjusted her pink helmet before staring back at Taeyeon. “Sorry, I was just showing Victoria-unnie over there that I could ride with my eyes closed.”

“Oh really?” Taeyeon asked playfully with an arched eyebrow. “I think you should wait some more years before trying that. It takes some skill to bike with eyes closed, you know.”

The little girl stomped her foot on the ground and frowned. “I'm five years old!” she wailed, “So I'm old enough.”

Taeyeon shook her head. “Oh I don't think so. Because I'm already twenty-four and I still can't bike with my eyes closed.”
Please log in to read the full chapter