Wednesday, June 16, 1926

The Speakeasy

Sneaking around had easily become routine for Yongguk, and although he wished Himchan could spend the night every night like he did Monday, he didn't complain. Tuesday was an evening cut short due to some unexpected business meeting Himchan had to attend to, but then Himchan promised to make it up to Yongguk and suggested they both go out for drinks on Wednesday night. Attending Himchan's family speakeasies would have been a risk, but Himchan knew of others that didn't belong to his family.

 

As soon as Himchan arrived, the two of them left the hotel in his personal car and off to their destination.

"I feel under-dressed again," Yongguk complained as he looked at the casual clothes he was wearing. "Maybe I should have worn my uniform?"

 

Himchan chuckled softly and placed his hand on Yongguk's leg, rubbing at it softly. He didn't dare to kiss him in the car, just in case the chauffeur would see anything. "You look fine," he smiled, squeezing his thigh lightly. "Don't worry about it. And you'd only attract attention with your uniform."

 

"Are you sure?" he questioned as he pointed to his brown slacks, white button up shirt and matching brown vest. "I just don't want to embarrass you."

 

"Yongguk, please," he laughed and patted his knee, leaving his hand there. "Stop worrying about this. You look fine."

 

He rested his hand on top of his and nodded. "Alright, I'll stop worrying."

 

Himchan spread his fingers a little so he could lace them with Yongguk's, giving the other one a smile before looking away. "Good."

 

As their hands laced together, a light tint of blush appeared on Yongguk's cheeks, fortunately it was dark enough in the car for the other not to notice. "Is this place safe? This is my first time going to a joint that isn't owned by your family."

 

"It's... pretty safe. There are safer ones but this one's the only not affiliated in any way to my dad."

 

"Would your father be angry if he knew you were at another speakeasy?" he questioned with concern. The more Yongguk learned about Mr. Kim, the more he started to dislike him. He wouldn't dare say that in front of Himchan though, because it was not in his place to say such things about his father.

 

"No.. Not really. But I don't want him to know about you.," he answered slowly and rubbed small circles in Yongguk's leg with his term. "Not that I'm ashamed of being outside with you, it's not that.. I just.. don't want him to question me about you and investigate..," Himchan added quickly, not mentioning the fact that he was worried that if his father would do that and find out he's Korean, that'd he try to enroll Yongguk in his business.

 

"I see. Well we won't have to worry about any investigations then. I guess it's a good thing I didn't wear my uniform, I blend in better this way."

 

"Totally," Himchan smiled, squeezing Yongguk's fingers in between his.

 

Yongguk smiled and turned his attention out the window. "I've never been in this area of the city. It looks... different." It looked like a shady part of New York but there were still large crowds out and about. "Your car won't bring too much attention to us will it?"

 

"Nah," Himchan laughed, glancing out of the window. "They'll probably think it's some swell1going to meet a hooker or something."

 

"Those quiffs2 will be out of luck then," he smiled as he caressed the back of Himchan's hand with his thumb.

 

"Yes," Himchan smiled and turned his head to look at Yongguk. He suddenly didn't want to leave the car anymore, knowing that they couldn't hold hands anymore outside. They couldn't kiss already because of the presence of the chauffeur but he liked the small affections they were showing. Yongguk's thumb over his hand was already enough to make his heart skip a beat.

 

Yongguk had such a strong urge to kiss Himchan, but it was too risky. At least with them holding hands, the chauffeur couldn't see it. Himchan placed his other hand on top of Yongguk's, smiling softly before turning his gaze away again.

 

"I want to kiss you so bad," he said in Korean.

 

Himchan flushed lightly but kept his gaze onto the street outside the window. "Me too. It's a bit frustrating.", he laughed softly, switching language as well.

 

"I'm happy your chauffeur is white, at least now I can really say what I feel around you without giving us away."

 

"Yeah... I must say you look really handsome in your outfit," he chuckled softly, squeezing his hand.

 

"Ah... thank you," he chuckled. "You look handsome in your suit. You always look good in a suit, but I still think you looked the best in my uniform." Yongguk felt confident more than ever with his flirtations. His Korean had finally come in handy, and he could tell that it would be very useful for them both whenever they were in public.

 

Himchan chuckled softly, looking at the other one. "You know, next to sticking out when you wear your uniform, you look really attractive in it. I'm glad you're not wearing it, at least the women won't come to you quickly."

 

"You're cute when you get jealous," he teased.

 

"Wait till I'm really jealous," Himchan rolled his eyes playfully and let go of Yongguk's hand when the car stopped at the speakeasy. He thanked his chauffeur with a pat on his shoulder and got out of the car quickly, waiting for Yongguk to get out as well before walking to the place. It was a small shop, selling cutlery, plates and whatnot. Himchan saluted the owner, signaling they didn't come to buy anything - who would at this hour anyway? - and went with Yongguk to the back, knocking at a small door to get in.

 

Yongguk looked around the shop as Himchan knocked on the door. 'Are all these places alike?' he thought to himself. Once the back door opened he followed behind Himchan as they made their way inside.

 

Himchan's hand brushed against Yongguk's, fingers slipping in between his for a moment before pulling it back. "Let's get a drink?" he asked, looking over at Yongguk, pretending he hadn't done anything.

 

His heart raced from the subtle touch and he hummed in response, out of fear of his voice cracking. He walked into the speakeasy side by side with Himchan and tried his best to show some form of confidence as they walked over to the bar. This place was a little bigger than the speakeasy Himchan's family owned and it was way more packed. From what he could see, both the wealthy and poor were there. He saw men and women dressed casually and others dressed to impress with their suits and cocktail dresses. "It's amazing how something illegal can bring so many people together," he joked.

 

"It's human nature, Bbang.", Himchan chuckled, leaning against the bar when they got to it and ordered two whiskeys. "People like what's forbidden. If they didn't, this wouldn't have so much success."

 

"I guess that would explain why I like you so much," he mumbled in Korean.

 

Himchan reached out his hand, trailing his fingers along Yongguk's wrist before dropping it. "Am I forbidden fruit then?" He chuckled, responding in Korean.

 

"You are to me," he curtly responded. "So, what are we drinking tonight?" he asked in English, switching the language back so more attention wouldn't be brought to them. Once again, they were the only Asians in the establishment.

 

Himchan rolled his eyes a little, chuckling. "Whiskey." he took the glasses and passed on to Yongguk.

 

"No champagne?" he teased.

 

"Champagne isn't really that impressive," Himchan said, chuckling.

 

"I don't think I've ever really seen you zozzled3 before. I hope I get to see you let loose tonight."

 

"You don't want to see me drunk," he replied before switching to Korean. "I'm clingy. I might want to makeout with you."

 

"I'm actually tempted to see that," he replied in Korean and smirked. "You don't seem like the clingy type so it's something I'd have to see with my own eyes."

 

"I'm a good drinker though. I don't know if you'll get me drunk."

 

"I can try," he responded in English. "Bartender, can you get us a bottle of whiskey?"

 

"Sure thing," the bartender said and slid them a bottle.

 

"Let's get this party started," Yongguk said with a devious smile.

 

Himchan rolled his eyes at him and downed most of his first glass of whiskey. "At your own risk."

 

Yongguk poured some whiskey into his glass and raised it up, "Cheers!" He knocked the drink back and hissed as it slightly burned his throat and smiled at Himchan. "Round 2?"

 

"Whatever," he laughed and placed the glass down on the counter for Yongguk to pour some in it.

 

Yongguk poured Himchan and himself another drink and he raised his glass before knocking the second drink back again. Although Yongguk didn't drink often, he knew how to tolerate his liquor.

 

Himchan downed his drink at once as well, scrunching his nose up lightly at the burning sensation before giving Yongguk a challenging look. "You'll be wasted before I am."

 

"Wanna bet?" he smirked.

 

"Sure. You got more to lose anyway," he snorted softly.

 

"Alright then. Round 3," he said as he poured them both another drink. "I think we'll need another bottle."

 

"Just order it. It's on me." Himchan said, lifting the glass to his lips.

 

"Bartender, another bottle please," Yongguk asked before sipping his whiskey.”

 

"Coming right up sir," he said as he grabbed another bottle of whiskey from under the cabinet. The bartender slid it over to Yongguk and went back to tending to the others.

 

"I think this can get us to round 6," he chuckled, already feeling a good buzz. "That is, if you can last that long," he taunted.

 

Himchan laughed, shaking his head. "You'll regret this, Bbang," he grinned and knocked his drink back, immediately asking for a refill.

 

"I don't regret any of this," he mumbled low enough for only Himchan to hear. He drank the rest of what was in his glass and poured himself another round.

 

"Me neither.." Himchan smiled a bit, drinking his fourth drink and he could feel a slight buzz starting.

 

Yongguk raised his glass to take another drink but the sound of a door being kicked down grabbed his attention. Before his mind could register what was happening people started shouting and the man seated next to him bumped into him while trying to get away. It caused Yongguk's whiskey to spill all over his vest and he yelled, "What the hell is going on!?!"

 

"GET OUT OF HERE!" the bartender yelled as he started tossing bottles out the window behind him. "IT'S A 4RAID! IF YOU'RE CAUGHT YOU'LL GO TO JAIL!"

 

"!" Yongguk cursed and dropped everything so he could grab Himchan. He’d heard about raids in the papers before. Raids happened whenever cops busted speakeasy operations and anyone caught was arrested. He knew if he was caught he’d be in serious trouble with the Navy and he knew if Himchan was caught that would be even more trouble.

 

Himchan's eyes widened at the sight of the policemen storming in and he immediately looked for the backdoor. Every speakeasy was the same. They had a backdoor only the owner knew existed - or those who were really familiar on how everything worked. He reached out to what he thought to be Yongguk's wrist and started pulling him with him as he pushed his way to the panicking crowd quickly.

 

"Himchan, where are you?!" Yongguk shouted as he was continuously pushed around by the crowd. He tried searching for him but he couldn't push his way through the current of bodies. "HIMCHAN!" he shouted but people were too busy trying to find an exit. The whole placed was a madhouse and the only word that could truly describe the atmosphere was hysteria.

 

A policeman made his way towards Yongguk and the people around him,  he tried dodging the swinging club but he got hit in the face. The adrenaline was pumping through his veins which gave him the needed strength to push the officer out his way. He followed the crowd out one of the back doors and made it outside. "Himchan whe--"

 

"RUN YOU IDIOT! RUN BEFORE THEY GET YA AGAIN!" a man yelled at him as he took off down an alley. Yongguk didn't know where to go, it was pure pandemonium outside with people running in every direction hoping to get away before the police found them. He decided it would be best if he followed the man that yelled at him, so he followed suit and took his chances following the stranger. 'Himchan please be alright,' he thought to himself.

 

Himchan finally reached the backdoor and felt his grip on the wrist slip away, turning around to see if Yongguk was caught in between other people, only to meet a stranger's face. "Who-- Yongguk?!", he shouted out the other one's name, looking around to see him and made a move to go back in the crowd but the guy who he had accidentally pulled with him, pushed him back, yelling at him. After the second try, getting pushed back again, Himchan raised his fist, feeling the stranger's jaw crack against his knuckles before pulling back to the backdoor. It was too late. If he went back in now, the police would get him. He cursed under his breath and went into the narrow hallway, slamming the door shut behind

him as he ran. He was mad at himself for getting the wrong guy. What if Yongguk got arrested now because of his mistake? He should've known better than to bring him here anyway.

 

Himchan finally ended up in a small street and he took a moment to catch his breath and straightened his suit before walking away quickly, just in case someone else had found the backdoor and was coming. Once he reached one of the main streets, he rolled his shoulders back, trying to act as he was just like any other person on the street right now, taking a stroll during the night.

 

He knew he couldn't take his car since it was too close too the speakeasy but he hoped that at least Yongguk could take it. He’d have to rely on the cab services for now and he knew that his chauffeur would drive away if they were gone too long. It was too much of a risk to get caught if he waited. Himchan scanned the street, waiting for a cab to appear to take him back to the suite, while putting as much distance as possible between the speakeasy and himself.

 

Yongguk ran as fast as his legs could carry him and he remained in the alleyways. He was so occupied with trying to get as far away from the speakeasy that he didn't realize he'd gotten himself lost, nor did he realize the blood pouring down his face from the open wound above his brow. He thought he was sweating so when he wiped the 'sweat' away and realized it was blood he cringed. His entire palm was covered in the crimson liquid and he wiped it against the wall of a brick building, leaving a smeared handprint behind. He needed to find a cab and quick so he could make it back to the hotel. "Maybe Himchan is headed there," he said aloud.

 

It took him a good ten minutes to find a cab because everyone was reluctant to help him due to all the blood. As soon as a cabby picked him up he told them the name of the hotel and pressed his shirt sleeve against the wound so the blood would stop trailing down his face.

 

Himchan raised his hand as soon as he saw a cab, getting in quickly and immediately giving him the address of the hotel. The hand with which he had hit the stranger was hurting and he had trouble sitting still as his nerves felt like they were on fire. The only thing he could think about was Yongguk, hoping he had made it and that he was alright.

 

When he finally arrived at the hotel, he took out a random amount of money, not looking at how much he actually was giving the driver before getting out of the cab quickly, practically storming into the hotel to get into the suite as quickly as possible. His heart dropped when he found it empty but he tried to stay positive, thinking Yongguk could arrive at any moment. Sitting still was impossible so he paced around the room before looking for Yongguk's cigarettes.

 

A whole hour passed before Yongguk trudged into the room. The alcohol had unfortunately made its presence known in his system again by the time he walked through the lobby. All the stares were embarrassing enough but he was relieved once he was in the room. "Hello?" he questioned when he saw the lights were on.

 

Himchan was close to smoking almost all of Yongguk's pack until he heard the familiar voice. He immediately got out of the bedroom and ran to the other. "Thank God, you're here!" he sighed in relief as he hugged him, too glad to see him to notice the blood directly.

 

"You shouldn't hug me," he grunted from the sudden hug. "I don't want to mess up your suit again..."

 

He pulled away with a frown and looked at Yongguk's face, biting his lip at the sight of the blood. ".. I'm sorry, Bbang.. Let me clean that up.."

 

"It's okay, it's small. I just don't want blood getting on your suit. I've already ruined my shirt," he joked. "I'm really happy you're okay. I was scared you got arrested. I tried looking for you ,I swear.."

 

Himchan grabbed Yongguk's hand and gently lead him to the bathroom, nodding his head. "I'm sorry.. I thought I was pulling you with me but.. it was some random guy.", he bit his lip lightly and glanced at Yongguk. "I'm really relieved to see you."

 

"This will just be one of those nights we'll joke about later on," he mused. Once inside the bathroom he slipped off his vest and started to his white shirt. "This shirt is ruined," he sighed. "I don't think I can get that stain out."

 

Himchan let go off his hand and grabbed a towel, wetting one part. "I'll wash the blood away.." he trailed off when he turned to face Yongguk, flushing as he noticed him ing his shirt.

 

Yongguk slipped off his shirt and dropped it to the floor, revealing his tan skin. His slightly defined chest and abdomen were noticeable too. Yongguk's body was nothing spectacular, but it was just enough for anyone to appreciate. "Alright. I'll make sure to go to an infirmary tomorrow just to make sure I don't need stitches."

 

Himchan bit down his lip lightly and averted his eyes, feeling the blush darken. He had never seen Yongguk half and it embarrassed him. "O-okay.. Can you.. sit down?"

 

He hummed and sat on the edge of the tub. "Have you ever done this before?"

 

"No.." he shook his head and ran the towel over his face before rubbing it were the blood was dried up.

 

"I didn't realize I was bleeding at first. I thought it was sweat from all the running I was doing," he said with a sheepish smile. "That policeman clocked me in the face good with that club. I hope I don't have a bruise anywhere in the morning."

 

"I'm sorry.." he sighed softly, gently rubbing the dried blood off of his face. "I really thought I was pulling you along with me.. I felt so bad when I noticed you weren't there.."

 

"At least you tried. It makes me happy knowing that you would have pulled me to safety." He winced slightly once Himchan got closer to the open wound and bit his lip.

 

"I should've known better than taking you to that joint," he sighed softly and wiped Yongguk's face with the dry part of the towel.

 

"Hey, don't beat yourself up over this. Neither of us knew this was going to happen."

 

Himchan nodded his head slightly and started cleaning Yongguk's wound carefully, not adding anything to it.

 

When Himchan cleaned up his wound, Yongguk stood up and pulled him into a hug. "I'm okay, so please don't worry anymore. I'll live," he teased.

 

Himchan's cheeks burned as Yongguk pulled him into a hug, leaning against his bare chest. "Maybe go to the infirmary or something tomorrow.." he mumbled shyly.

 

"I will, don't worry." The alcohol in his system is what gave him the courage to hug Himchan even though his chest was bare. There was nothing ual in the embrace, it was purely out of comfort. He hadn't expected Himchan to be so shaken up about what happened, so a hug in this situation could go a long way.

 

He slowly wrapped his arms around Yongguk's waist, biting the inside of his cheek and it took him a moment to calm down before he dared to rest his head against Yongguk's shoulder.

 

"Will you be okay going home tonight?" he questioned with concern.

 

"I don't know..." he closed his eyes, mumbling. "I don't want to leave you.."

 

"I want you to stay, but I don't want anyone getting suspicious..."

 

"I'll go home... but not right now.."

 

"Until then, do you want to sit down?"

 

"Yeah..."

 

Yongguk pulled away and looked down at his chest. "Let me go slip on a shirt first," he mumbled and gathered his soiled shirt and vest off the floor. "I'll be out there in a minute," he said after he kissed Himchan's cheek.

 

"I'll be in the living room.." Himchan said, smiling softly at Yongguk before leaving the bathroom.

 

Yongguk went into the bedroom and slipped on another button up shirt before going to the living room. He laughed once he saw his near empty cigarette pack and a mountain of ash and cigarette butts in the ashtray. "You were really stressed, weren't you baby?" he asked as he sat down next to him on the couch.

 

Himchan laughed softly, looking at him. "I was... And I really needed a cigarette."

 

"Y'know what's better than a cigarette?"

 

"No.. What is?"

 

“This.” Yongguk leaned in and pressed his lips against Himchan's. He slowly moved his lips against the other's and raised his hand to cup his cheek as the kiss ensued. This was the first time they kissed since they left the hotel that evening and Yongguk showed no signs of pulling away. Himchan shifted closer, tilting his head slightly to fit their lips better against each other. He raised an arm to wrap it around Yongguk's neck, sighing happily against his lips. Yongguk s his other arm around Himchan's waist and pulled him as close as he could. He'd been deprived of Himchan's kisses far too long, and after everything that happened earlier it made him realize how much he really cared for the other man.

 

"Let's go to parks next time," Himchan mumbled after he pulled away, leaning his forehead against the others.

 

"That sounds a lot better," he whispered. He glanced at the clock on the wall and sighed softly, "I don't want you to go home..."

 

"I'll stay here then.."

 

"You will?"

 

"Yeah.." he nodded and leaned in more, wrapping his other arm around Yongguk.

 

"Thank you," he whispered and pressed his lips against his again. "Thank you."

 

"I don't think I'd be able to leave you after what happened tonight," he sighed, kissing him back softly .

 

"Yeah.." he mumbled. "It's going to be even harder when I leave Saturday morning. I know I'm pushing my luck here but I just want to try spending as much time with you as I can."

 

"I know, Bbang... I wish I could just stop time.."

 

"I do too," he smiled sadly.

 

"Don't give me that look.. I don't like it when you're sad.", Himchan pecked Yongguk's lips. "Let's not think about Saturday.."

 

"Alright," he chuckled. "I will show you how to address letters tomorrow though, and don't forget I want that picture."

 

"I'll get it tomorrow," He promised, pushing Yongguk down gently to lie down with him on the couch.

 

Yongguk shifted on the couch and pulled Himchan closer to him so he wouldn't fall off. "The bed is too far for you isn't it?" he teased.

 

"The couch is closer," he shrugged, leaning in to rest his head against Yongguk's shoulder.

 

"Do you want to wear one of my pajamas tonight?"

 

"Yeah.. Sleeping in this suit would be uncomfortable."

 

"I'll get you some pajamas in a bit," he murmured and nuzzled his nose against Himchan's cheek.

 

"Alright.." Himchan smiled at the affection, closing his eyes.

 

Yongguk kissed both Himchan's eyelids when he closed them and rubbed small circles in his back to help relax him. The touches and kisses were innocent. A content sigh escaped Himchan's lips, shifting a bit closer to him, tightening his arms around him as well. Yongguk then pecked his nose before kissing him full on the lips. He reacted immediately to the kiss, moving his lips along Yongguk's while caressing his back. Yongguk smiled against his lips as they kissed and playfully nipped his bottom lip.

 

Himchan’s lips parted and flicked his tongue against Yongguk's lips in response. He chuckled from the others eagerness and complied as the kiss deepened. As the kiss progressed Yongguk felt slightly bold and rolled on top of Himchan but was careful not to put his full weight on him. Himchan tilted his head slightly, flushing as Yongguk rolled on top of him but he didn't say anything nor did he pull away.

 

Yongguk pulled away after a while to catch his breath, and started to pepper kisses along Himchan's jawline. His head rolled back, and he bit his lip lightly, stifling a sound from the back of his throat.

 

"Are you okay?" he asked, his voice slightly huskier than before.

 

"Yeah, I'm fine.." he mumbled, looking up at Yongguk.

 

Yongguk stared down at him and felt his cheeks burn. "How about I get you those pajamas before we go to bed.."

 

"Sounds like a plan," Himchan replied, a small smile appearing on his lips.

 

"Okay. I'll be right back," he said after he stole one last kiss from him and retreated to the bedroom. He came out a minute later with some pajamas and gave it to Himchan. "Go get comfortable."

 

Himchan nodded and took the pajamas, placing them on the couch before taking off his tie and ing his shirt.

 

"I'll give you some privacy. I'll be in the bedroom," he said before he kissed the top of his head and left the living room area of the suite.

 

"Okay.." Himchan smiled softly and started undressing himself, changing into the pajamas quickly before going to the bedroom.

 

As Himchan entered the bedroom, Yongguk had just crawled into bed with his other pair of pajamas on. "Comfy? They're kinda old but they're clean," he chuckled. "You probably wear silk pajamas don't you?"

 

"I usually wear nothing," Himchan simply replied, looking at Yongguk with a smile and walked over to the bed. "But they're great, thank you."

 

"Really!? You sleep ?"

 

Himchan laughed at his reaction and tilted his head. "Do you have a problem with that?"

 

"No, I just never expected you to like sleeping . I sometimes sleep with my shirt off but that's it," he smiled. He pushed thoughts of the other out of his head and patted the empty spot next to him on the bed.

 

"I actually don't sleep anymore.. I used to before I got... Yeah..," he trailed off, feeling uncomfortable at mentioning Charlotte while crawling under the blankets. Yongguk immediately pulled Himchan into his arms and mumbled, "Maybe once we're more comfortable with each other you can." His face felt hot as images of Himchan filled his head.

 

"Maybe.", Himchan agreed, scooting closer to Yongguk, slowly wrapping an arm around his waist. "You alright," he asked, looking up.

 

"Yeah. I'm fine," he laughed awkwardly although his flushed cheeks begged to differ.

 

"Okay.." he didn't insist but leaned in instead, pressing his lips softly against Yongguk's cheek.

 

He turned his head and kissed Himchan's forehead. "I think I'm finally sobering up."

 

"Good." He rested his head against Yongguk's shoulder, glancing at him.

 

"Maybe next time we should drink in the privacy of the suite. It seems safer."

 

"And we can act how we want... Although the Korean helps."

 

"I feel invincible when we speak Korean. Everyone probably thinks it's Chinese anyway," he joked. "But I do agree that this is the safest place for us to do what we want."

 

"It's our little world.."

 

"Yeah," he smiled softly. "Our own little world."              

________________________________________________________________

1. Swell - A wealthy man

2. Quiff - A e

3. Zozzled - Drunk

4. Raid - During the prohibition era raids were conducted to close down speakeasies and arrest the owners or anyone involved since consumption and distribution of alcohol was illegal during that time.

 

Surprise!! We know that was the longest 2 weeks ever but University has been really demanding. So we won't promise dates anymore because our schedules are so hectic but we haven't given up on this story. Our updates will just have to be irregular until we get the time to update properly. Thank you for being patient with us and we hope you enjoyed this chapter. We made it super long and action packed to make up for our lack of updates. Leave us your feedback. We love hearing from you guys. Until next time~ Enjoy~