Monday, June 14, 1926

The Speakeasy

It had been three days since Yongguk and Himchan had shared their first kiss. They had spent the rest of the night together until Yongguk had fallen asleep and Himchan left the suite to go home, leaving behind a small note to say he'll come back tomorrow right after his tour.

 

Himchan had to take up his tour of the speakeasies again as his father had noticed he had skipped a few of them. Knowing that it made the little time he already could spend with Yongguk even smaller, Himchan started his tours earlier and instead of staying at his favourite one, he went straight back to the suite where Yongguk was. Everything went by smoothly and he spent his night till the early hours in Yongguk's suite before finally returning to his wife, whom he had told he had to do longer check ups, hence why he always came home later than before.

 

They were slowly accustoming to their relationship as being with a man was new for both of them. They spent their nights talking, getting to know each other more or just telling random stories about other things.

 

That night, Himchan arrived at the suite, later than usual and with a tired look on his face. The staying up till the early hours while working a full day were taking its toll but he just went on, not wanting to miss any time he could spend with the other one.

 

Yongguk walked out of the bedroom with a smile on his face as soon as Himchan arrived, but it faltered when he saw how tired the other looked. He walked over to him and took his coat and hat off for him to place in the closet and felt a pang of guilt. Himchan was going out of his way to spend time with him and he felt like he was being selfish since the other was having to rearrange his schedule just for him. "You've had a long day haven't you? Why don't you take a bath so you can relax," he said before he leaned in and gently kissed his lips.

 

Himchan smiled softly at the kiss but stubbornly wrapped his arms around the other one's waist, leaning lightly against him. "I don't want to take a bath. I want to spend time with you.", he said. He couldn't help but be amused by Yongguk's words. It sounded as if they had been together for years instead of a couple of days.

 

"You will get to spend time with me," he chuckled. "The night is still young. It's not even 7 o'clock yet." Yongguk leaned in and pecked his lips once again. "Go bathe, and once you do that I'll give you a massage. How does that sound?"

 

"That sounds really tempting," Himchan sighed, nudging his nose lightly against Yongguk's. "Kiss me again and maybe I'll be completely convinced."

 

"I think I can manage that," he whispered as he pressed his lips against the other's again. Himchan tightened his arms around Yongguk's waist and flushed as he kissed him again, tilting his head more as he moved his lips along. He felt like a teenager when he was around Yongguk, as if he was experiencing love for the first time. Yongguk kissed him gently and prolonged the kiss for nearly a minute before he pulled away.

 

"Go bathe now," he smiled and kissed him one last time for good measure. In a matter of days he had grown really comfortable with their relationship. They both were taking their time and he was relieved because kissing was all he could give at that moment.

 

"Yeah, I'll go now.." he said softly, pulling away completely before walking to the bathroom.

 

Once Himchan went into the bathroom, the Marine walked into the bedroom to hang up his coat. Right before he hung it up he lifted it to his nose and inhaled Himchan's scent. That might have sounded odd to some but he loved the smell of the cologne the other wore. The mixture of his cologne and the faint smell of cigarettes always brought him comfort and it made him feel like he was home. He wanted to have that scent ingrained in his memory before he left New York on Saturday. "I'm such a sap," he mumbled to himself as he hung up the coat and placed the hat on the shelf above it.

 

Meanwhile, Himchan turned the cranes open to let the water run into the tub while he stripped off his clothes. Before it was filled to where he wanted, he poured some of the bath salts into the water and took of the last pieces of clothing, dropping everything in a small pile on the counter. Once he got into the water, he instantly relaxed, sinking a bit further into the water. The warmth of the water and the smell of the bath salts made him even more drowsy than he already was and he fought for a moment to keep his eyes open. He sat up a bit, hoping it'd keep him awake but his head ended up lolling back when he closed his eyes momentarily, resting against the corner of the bath as he drifted off soon after.

 

Nearly a half hour passed by and Yongguk hadn't heard anything from Himchan. He didn't want to intrude since he did want him to relax so he retreated to the living room to listen to some music and smoke. Another half hour passed and he bit his lip nervously. "Maybe if I knock it'll be okay," he said to himself. He put his cigarette out in the ashtray and walked towards the bathroom, gently knocking on the door as he asked, "Himchan? Are you okay?"

 

Himchan's lips were parted slightly as he slept, his body too tired to wake up from being in the water or even Yongguk knocking on the door. He let out a soft sigh in his sleep, not moving from his original position.

 

Yongguk’s worry grew from the silence that answered him and he cracked the door open. "Himchan? Are you okay?" When he received no answer he cautiously opened the door and entered the bathroom. When he saw Himchan sleeping he chuckled softly and sat on the edge of the tub. "Himchan," he cooed as he caressed his cheek. "Wake up baby."

 

Himchan leaned into the touch slightly, slowly waking up. "Mhm.." his eyes fluttered open and he looked up at Yongguk with a sleepy smile before he remembered where he was. His eyes widened and he jerked up, hands moving downwards to cover himself up while he pulled his legs to his chest, water splashing against the walls of the tub. Yongguk jumped up and backed away from the tub, nearly falling from moving so fast..

 

"I'M S-SORRY! I WASN'T PEEPING I SWEAR!" he shouted in embarrassment. His face was redder than a tomato and he turned around to face the door. "I just wanted to wake you up..." he trailed off.

 

Himchan bit down his bottom lip and pulled his legs to his chest, cheeks flushing in a deep red as well. "It's.. o-okay," he mumbled, turning his gaze away from Yongguk. "I'll get out.. in a minute.."

 

"Alright," he said hastily and quickly exited the bathroom. His heart was racing and he had to lean against the door for support. "Great going Yongguk," he muttered to himself and walked back out to the living room to wait on his lover.

 

Himchan stared at the water for a while before finally getting up, slowly stepping out of the tub. He didn't know why he had reacted that way. It wasn't the first time that someone had seen him . But maybe it was just because it was Yongguk. Everything felt different around him, as if he had never dated anyone before. He grabbed a towel and dried himself off before putting on his clothes, not daring to come out with just a robe. His shirt stuck a little to his skin as he walked out, shivering as the cool air off the bedroom, which was connected to the bathroom, and went to the living room, fiddling a bit with his fingers.

 

"Himchan.... I don't want things to be awkward between us or anything. I promise I wasn't trying to sneak a peek at you. I was just worried because you had been in there an hour and I just wanted to make sure you were okay. And then when I saw you asleep, you just looked so cute-- I-I mean I wanted to wake you up so you wouldn't catch a cold," Yongguk continued to ramble.

 

"It's fine.. Yongguk," he smiled softly at the rambling of his lover, shaking his head. "I was just.. surprised."

 

"I bet you were. I realize now that me waking you up like that wasn't the most rational way to go about things," he said as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Let me make it up to you. I still owe you that massage."

 

"You don't have to," Himchan answered and walked over to Yongguk, reaching out to take his hand.

 

He took the other's hand in his and gently tugged his arm. "I want to baby," he smiled. "I want you to relax when you're with me. Let me spoil you for once."

 

Himchan chuckled and laced their fingers together. "I'm already relaxing just by standing next to you."

 

"I'd like it better if you sat next to me," he grinned.

 

He rolled his eyes playfully. "Fine,” the bootlegger chuckled and moved to sat down on the couch.

 

Yongguk wrapped both his arms around Himchan's waist and pulled him closer to his side. "Have you eaten anything? Is it safe to order room service you think?"

 

"No... And I'm sure it's safe.. It's just that if you've been ordering room service already, then you'll have to answer the door.. If not, I'll have to. Since they don’t know you’re using this room."

 

"I've never ordered it before. I've always gone out to get food."

 

"Then I'll order it." He nodded and leaned against him.

 

"What do you want to order?"

 

"I actually don't know.." Himchan laughed softly and rest his head against Yongguk's shoulder. “I'm not that hungry honestly.."

 

Yongguk leaned his head against his and smiled, "You know what I wanna do?"

 

"No, what do you want to do?" He mumbled, squeezing the other's hand lightly.

 

"I want you to dance with me..."

 

"I thought you wanted me to sit down?" Himchan laughed softly while nudging Yongguk’s side. "But I'd like to do that too, yeah."

 

Yongguk chuckled and mumbled shyly, "I just want to do as much as I can with you before I leave Saturday." He stood up and held his hand out for Himchan. "I'm thinking something slower than the baltimore buzz this time."

 

"I wish I could spend an entire day with you.." Himchan sighed softly and took Yongguk's hand while standing up.

 

"I wish I could too..." he trailed off as he lead him to the center of the living room. He let go of his hand briefly to put on a slow jazz record, and cranked up the phonograph before pulling him into his arms. "Let's just enjoy now," he said as the music started to resonate from the horn.

 

He smiled and placed his hands on Yongguk's shoulders. "Maybe someday.. we'll see."

 

Yongguk's body naturally swayed to the music and Himchan followed suit. It was unorthodox for two men to be slow dancing together, but there was nobody else in that room except them. They were safe there and shielded from all of the judgmental people society created. He tightened his arms around Himchan's waist securely and rested his forehead against his.

 

Himchan moved his arms to wrap them around Yongguk's loosely, smiling at him before closing his eyes, enjoying the moment. "I feel so liberated when I'm with you.." he mumbled after a short pause of silence.

 

"Liberated? How so?"

 

"I don't have to worry about anything when I'm with you.. With my family, I need to make sure I do the right things to not dishonor them.. With my 'work', I need to see that everything goes well. With Charlotte I need to make sure she has everything, that she's satisfied despite being in an arranged marriage. But with you everything just comes naturally.. I don't worry about anything.."

 

"I knew you had a lot of responsibilities, but hearing you actually say it puts it in perspective for me. I was really worried I was being a burden since you're having to rearrange your entire schedule just to see me, but now I feel relieved knowing I can bring you some form of happiness." He smiled softly and whispered, "I really, really like you Himchan. All I want to do is make you happy. You're making me feel alive again, and you're giving me something to look forward to everyday. I never thought I'd get that feeling back."

 

Himchan leaned in and gently pressed his lips against Yongguk's cheek. "When did you lose that feeling?" he whispered against the skin.

 

"I lost it once my father went back to Korea nearly five years ago..." he trailed off. "It's tough being on that ship sometimes, and there were some days when I felt like jumping off because I'd feel so alone. And even though I had a couple relationships in the past it didn't mean anything. Those women were only with me because they were intrigued with dating ‘the oriental sailor’ and they liked the attention they got with it. I was nothing more than a souvenir... a toy they could show off to all their friends and brag about whenever they gossiped. None of it was real, and even though I acted happy, I wasn't fooling myself. I wanted something more-- something real... and I’ve finally found that with you."

 

He pulled back to look at Yongguk, still swaying with him to the music. "I'm.. sorry I can't give you a normal relationship."

 

"It's okay Himchan," he smiled softly. "Nothing about this is normal, and this is all a huge risk, but I'm willing to take what you can give me."

 

"I wish I could give you more.." he sighed softly. "I also wish.. we could've met in another period of time.. Where it would be acceptable..if it ever becomes acceptable. If not.. Then another universe."

 

"Do you think queers will ever be accepted?"

 

"I have no idea.. Maybe if queers started to go out in public.. But I don't think anyone would risk it right now with the consequences it can bring.."

 

"It would be too risky right now," he sighed. "I think what I worry about most is how we'll manage to keep this up since you're married. If you have kids..." he trailed off and bit his lip. The sad look in his eyes was readable enough for the other to understand how complicated their relationship could get.

 

Himchan stopped swaying and pulled his arms back, moving his hands up to cup the other one's face. "Let's not think about it.. Let's just live day by day and see what happens.."

 

He nodded and kissed his palm. "Sorry for ruining the mood.."

 

"It's alright.." Himchan chuckled and leaned in again, kissing the corner of his mouth.

 

"You missed," he murmured and lightly pressed his lips against his as they continued to sway to the music.

 

"So stupid of me," he smiled against Yongguk's lips, tilting his head lightly as he kissed back.

 

Yongguk never pulled away from Himchan's lips and time seemed to disappear. He didn't know how long the kiss lasted but they were both panting softly when he pulled away. The light tint of blush on Himchan's cheeks and the slight plumpness of his lips made his heart skip a beat. Himchan was beautiful in his eyes, and he knew nobody else would have been able to hold a candle to him. The music suddenly stopped playing but Yongguk didn't bother going to crank it up again. He only wanted to stay like this with Himchan, and relish in each others embrace. It felt extremely intimate to him despite them not engaging in ual activities, and he felt like he was connecting with him on a more personal level. He leaned in and brushed his lips over Himchan's as he whispered, "I think I'm falling in love with you..."

 

Himchan felt his heart race a bit faster at the other one's words. He wasn't going home tonight. He wanted to spend the entire night with Yongguk, stay awake as long as possible and just talk. Or do nothing.. He was fine with anything as long as they were together. "I think I am as well.."

 

He kissed Himchan the moment he heard him agree and smiled against his lips. They were both playing a dangerous game but he could care less at that moment. The bootlegger pressed his body lightly against Yongguk's when he kissed back, wrapping his arms back around the other one's neck.

 

Yongguk grew bolder and deepened the kiss. He hadn't gone as far as french kissing before but he felt confident enough to. He slid his tongue across Himchan's bottom lip and when the other gasped he slowly slipped his tongue between his parted lips. Himchan felt a shiver go over his spine as he felt Yongguk's tongue slide into his own mouth, his cheeks burning lightly. He tentatively rolled his tongue against the other's, tightening his arms around his neck.

 

A sudden moan tore from the back of Yongguk’s throat and he pulled away and looked down in shame. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to."

 

He bit his lip lightly and pulled his arms back, placing his hand on Yongguk's hips instead. "Don't worry about it.."

 

He looked up shyly and sighed, "I’m so awkward tonight."

 

"This is new for us.. It's only normal that you're awkward at times.."

 

"I've been the only one acting awkward," he chuckled. "You've been fine."

 

"Maybe you have more.. problems accepting this?"

 

"No! No, I don't. I swear I don't," he said hastily. "I've accepted it."

 

"I won't be hurt if you haven't, Yongguk.. I understand if it's more difficult for you.."

 

"Himchan, I accepted I had feelings for you the moment I confessed to you." He pulled his arms away from his waist and gently cupped his face. "I've accepted this, and I've accepted us, baby. I don't regret this. Please believe me.."

 

He curled his fingers a bit around the hem of Yongguk's shirt, smiling softly as he nodded. "I believe you.."

 

Yongguk sighed in relief and pecked Himchan's nose. "I'm glad. I was worried for a second."

 

"Stop worrying," Himchan chuckled softly and tugged his shirt lightly. "Can we lie down? I'm tired of standing..”

 

"Alright," he chuckled. "Do you want to lie down on the couch or on the bed?"

 

"Bed. There's more space.."

 

"Okay. What time do you need to leave? If you need to nap I'll wake you up," he smiled sadly as he lead him to the bedroom. They were lucky if they spent five hours with each other every night. Time was precious for them, but he knew Himchan was tired and he wanted him to relax.

 

"I'm... I'm staying tonight..", Himchan looked at him as he followed to the bedroom, knowing Yongguk would protest.

 

Yongguk stopped once they entered the bedroom and looked at him with a worried expression. "Is that a good idea? What if Miss Charlotte gets suspicious.."

 

Himchan bumped lightly into him, giving him a soft sigh. "I'll just say.. something came up.. My job is unpredictable.."

 

"She won't tell your father right," he questioned and held him protectively in his arms.

 

"No.. They only see each other on 'family meetings'.", he snorted softly at the thought of their family meetings. The most awkward moments of the year.

 

"Well, if that's the case... I'm really happy you're staying the night," he said with a grin. He pulled the covers back on the bed and crawled in first. "Come here. I'll be good," he chuckled as he opened up his arms for Himchan.

 

"I don't know if I'll be..", Himchan chuckled and moved to get in bed with him. "I'm joking..I won't do anything.."

 

Yongguk blushed from Himchan's joke and pulled him closer to him once he was in the bed. "If you did I wouldn't protest. I'm just really happy you're staying longer.."

 

"I don't think.. I can do more than just this," he kissed Yongguk's lips softly before smiling at him, wrapping an arm loosely around his waist.

 

"This is embarrassing but... I wouldn't know how to do more. I don't know how two men can be intimate with each other," his cheeks flushed as he looked at him. "I'm happy that we're just taking everything as it goes. You definitely aren't like Lucille and I'm happy I didn't go to bed with her that night."

 

"We'll figure that out.. when the time's right;.. Or maybe never.. I don't know, " he laughed softly, feeling his cheeks burn a little as well. "And don't compare me with her. I'm the "bee's knees" compared to her," he snorted.

 

Yongguk chuckled and gently pressed his lips against Himchan's. "You're better than the bee’s knees, and I won't compare again. "

 

"Mhm.," he chuckled against Yongguk's lips. "Good.. "

 

He pulled the covers over he and Himchan and pulled his body closer to his. "Can you tell me about your family? Y'know, since you know about mine, I'd like to know more about yours," he smiled sheepishly.

 

"There's nothing to tell..", Himchan shrugged and placed his hand on Yongguk's chest, rubbing a spot with his thumb absentmindedly. "I'm an only child... My mom's from the countryside while my dad... probably was born in this kind environment just like me.."

 

Yongguk hummed and looked into his eyes. "I guess we both don't have exciting family stories," he mused as he tried to lighten the mood in the bedroom. "I think the only semi interesting thing about my family is that I had an identical twin. Yongnam was his name, but he got sick when we made it to this country. He and my mother both. But, I already told you that."

 

"I can't imagine there being.. another you," Himchan smiled softly, rubbing small circles into Yongguk's chest with his thumb.

 

"My mother had trouble telling us apart sometimes, so that's why she gave me the nickname Bbang," he chuckled softly. "Sometimes he and I would switch places too and fool our parents, or we'd mess with the older folks in the countryside. They sometimes thought they were seeing double," he laughed a little louder. "He was definitely my partner in crime," he smiled sadly.

 

Himchan chuckled and leaned in to press a kiss against Yongguk's cheek when he trailed off, speaking softly. "It must’ve been hard.. having lost your brother and mother.."

 

"Yeah... it was. We wanted to live that 'American Dream' my father kept telling us about.. but the moment we got here it was a nightmare."

 

"I'm sorry..", Himchan pecked his chin again before shifting a bit up to nuzzle Yongguk's cheek.

 

"It's alright. They aren't suffering anymore," he murmured and closed his eyes as Himchan nuzzled his cheek.

 

"They're in a better place.." he kissed his cheek softly. "And I'm sure they're proud of you.. "

 

"You really think so? There's not much to be proud of. I haven't really accomplished anything yet."

 

"Being in the Navy is a big thing, you know.." Himchan pulled away to look at him. "I'd be proud if I had a son like you."

 

A grin spread on Yongguk's face as he gloated, "So you're saying you're proud of me?"

 

He chuckled and nodded his head lightly. "Yes. I'm proud."

 

"Well now I know if we were to go to war, I'd have somebody to fight for."

 

"I hope there won't be any. I don't want to lose you."

 

"I doubt there will be another war. Plus I plan to be out the Navy within the next year, so even if there was a war I wouldn't have to serve in it," he smiled.

 

"Are you sure they won't call you in or something?"

 

"Unless they did a draft, I don't think they can. I'll be okay though, so don't worry about that type of stuff when I leave Saturday. You're stressed enough with work as it is."

 

"I'll worry anyway," Himchan smiled sheepishly. "You need to tell me how I can send you letters."

 

"I will. I'll show you how to address it later. But I will warn you.. sometimes the mail takes forever. It'll be weeks, or if we're unlucky, months before we can hear from each other.."

 

"It's okay... It's better than nothing."

 

"Do you think before I leave, I could have a small picture of you?"

 

"You can have anything you want."

 

"I just want a picture, so that whenever I miss you, I'll always have a piece of you with me."

 

"You'll get your picture," Himchan smiled, leaning in to kiss his lips.

 

"I think I have a picture... I think. If I can find it, I'll give it to you," he mumbled against his lips.

 

"Thank you.." Himchan nipped at his bottom lip before pulling away.

 

"You're welcome."


Yongguk spent the rest of the night engaging in conversations about his life and past with Himchan. Unlike their other nights, they had more time to spare. They made the most of every minute and hour until Himchan eventually dozed off. Yongguk watched him sleep for a while, admiring how cute the other man looked when he slept. He took note of Himchan's tendency to pout his lips in his sleep, and he stole a few kisses from him each time he did. Yongguk fought his hardest to stay awake because he didn't know when he'd have another night like this with his lover, but eventually he succumbed to sleep as well, with Himchan nestled safely in his arms.

_______________________________________________________________

There aren't really any new terms in this chapter but we apologize for not posting on time. School once again complicated things for us. But here is the long awaited chapter! We'll try to have the next chapter up within the next week or two! Thank you for your patience and leave us comments! We love your feedback~