Monday, June 7, 1926 [Part 2/2]

The Speakeasy

Yongguk kept trying to tell himself that he was only excited due to nearly being caught on the ship but he felt butterflies the moment Himchan slightly leaned into him. He didn’t retract his arm since it was late, and more than likely people would think they were both zozzled1 sailors. ‘This can’t be right. He’s a man and he’s my friend. Nothing more, nothing less. Men don't like other men,’ he mentally scolded himself.

 

"It's been awhile since I've had burgers," Himchan randomly blurted out to break the silence that was settling between them. He wanted to start a conversation to prevent his mind to wander off to places and especially concentrate on the fact that their sides were touching as if it were something special. 'I've hugged men before, it's no big deal.', he repeated to himself. Himchan looked up at Yongguk, hoping the other one will make an effort to pick up his lame attempt at starting conversation.

 

"When was the last time you had a burger?" he asked as they made their way down the street. None of the people on the sidewalks paid them any mind, so the drunken sailors theory worked in their favor.

 

"I don't know.. I think when I was 16," he shrugged. "My parents liked to keep the traditional Korean food. Even though it's kind of hard to do here.. we have these weird variants of it, I guess. So I never ate hamburgers.. except when I wandered around in the city after school instead of going home."

 

"I haven't had Korean food in years," the other answered. "How old are you now?" Even though the two had spent the past few days together hanging out, Yongguk realized he still had a lot to learn about Himchan.

 

"Don't taste my parents' food.. Even though I don't remember anything about the actual Korean food, I bet it's far from being like it," he chuckled and glanced at him. "I'm 23.."

 

"Maybe you can bring me some and I can taste it for myself," Yongguk teased. "When's your birthday?"

 

"Maybe," Himchan chuckled. "The 19th of April, why? Do you want to buy me a present in the future for it? Too bad you missed it."

 

"What a small world we live in," the sailor mused. "I was born on the 31st of March. I'm older than you by a few weeks," he squeezed his shoulders and laughed. "All this time I thought you were older than me but I was wrong. What else don't I know about you Himchan?" he questioned with a smile. Before Himchan could say anything he spotted a place that sold burgers for fifteen cents.

 

"Let's get our food there, and then you can tell me more fascinating things about you that I don't already know."

 

Himchan laughed and followed Yongguk to the place. "Just ask me anything you want to know and I'll answer it."

 

"You can ask me anything you want too," he said as he lowered his arm and opened the door for them. "Would you want to eat here or do you want to take our food somewhere else?"

 

Himchan walked in and looked around a bit before replying. "Let's go eat it somewhere outside."

 

"Do you know of any nearby parks?" he asked as they walked up to the counter and waited in line.

 

“Mhm, there must be a small one not too far.”

 

He nodded his head in agreement and once they got up to the counter he ordered 4 hamburgers and reached down into his sock and pulled out a one dollar bill. Once he paid the man and got back his change he gave Himchan two burgers and took the other two for himself. "C’mon, let's go."

 

After wandering the sidewalks for a while, they spotted a small park where it was much more quiet than the hustle and bustle of the city. Yongguk found an unoccupied bench and claimed it as theirs.

"I think this is the quietest part of the city," he chuckled as he unwrapped his first burger. "Mhm", Himchan nodded in agreement, unwrapping his burger as well. "So, any questions?"

 

"Yeah," he said right before he took a bite of his burger. Once he finished chewing he asked, "If you could escape this lifestyle, would you? Don't you ever get scared of being arrested or killed?"

 

Himchan shrugged, contemplating his burger. "Where would I go, though? Maybe I would.. I don't know.. It all depends on the circumstances. As for getting killed.. or arrested. I'm not scared of that. Can't be worse than life, mhm?" he chuckled and took a bite.

 

"I suppose, but you could go anywhere. You do save your money right?" The bootlegger shrugged again, chewing on the bite and answered after he swallowed. "Yeah.. I don't waste it.. anymore."

 

Yongguk hummed as he took a bite of his burger and nodded. "That’s good. You should always have a backup plan. It's your turn to ask me something," he said as he took another bite of his burger.

 

"I don't have a backup plan. Why would I need a backup plan? This is my life. I'm never going to do anything else. I don't even have a choice. If I step out, I'm dead," Himchan huffed before turning quiet as he thought of a question. "Why did you join the Navy?"

 

The other remained silent for a moment and mumbled an apology. Yongguk had struck a nerve with Himchan and he didn't want to upset him anymore. "I don't really think I have a good reason as to why I joined. I just wanted to travel the world and make my father proud." He picked at the bun on his burger and looked up at the night sky with a solemn expression. "It's not what I thought it would be. I mean... it's been a nice experience but it's nothing I'd want to commit my life to. I'm hoping I can get out next year sometime."

 

Himchan looked at him, smiling softly as he listened. "What are you going to do when you get out?"

 

"I don't know," he shrugged and looked at him. "I want to be in New York though, so I'll just try looking for work anywhere I can find it."

 

"I can help if you want. I'm sure we'll find a place that has debts," Himchan chuckled, joking a bit and nudged his shoulder against Yongguk's.

 

"I don't want you going out of your way for me Himchan. You've done enough for me as it is."

 

"I really don't mind helping you, Yongguk. You can even use the suite till you've found a place if you want."

 

"I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next year now, won't we?" he questioned. "You're a good friend though. I'm happy I spilled those drinks on you," he chuckled as he playfully nudged his arm.

 

"Mhm," Himchan smiled and took another bite. "Bet you regretted it that day, though,"he mumbled, letting out a muffled chuckle.

 

“Honestly, at first I did regret it since I thought you were going to kill me… but after you fooled me I realized that you’re not a bad guy. I don’t regret that day anymore.” He glanced at his half eaten burger and ate the rest of it in a few bites.

 

Himchan chuckled again, nodding his head in understanding. "Mhm... Any other questions, Bbang?"

 

"Bbang..." he trailed off. "My mother used to call me that," he shook his head a little and smiled sadly. "I'd forgotten about that nickname until you started calling me that."

 

"Oh..," Himchan's smile faded and he gave him a sorry look. "I'm sorry.. I didn't know. I can stop calling you that if you want.."

 

"Don't. I like it when you call me Bbang," he placed his hand on Himchan's thigh and gave it a squeeze.

 

"Okay..." Himchan flushed at the touch and tried to take a bit of his burger but instead it slipped through his fingers and landed on the pants. "Ah, . I'm sorry.." he bit his lip and took the burger, reaching to take a napkin.

 

"It's alright," he laughed. "Nothing but crumbs got on it." He brushed some of the crumbs off Himchan's lap, ignoring the butterflies in his stomach yet again.

 

Himchan bit his lip lightly, feeling the blush deepen a little. "It might've made a stain.. I'll get it to the dry cleaners before returning it to you."

 

“You worry too much Himchan,” he said as he patted his thigh once again. “My uniform should be fine, but if you think it needs to go to the dry cleaners then I’ll let you take it,” Yongguk prolonged his hand touching Himchan’s thigh as long as he could before unwrapping his second burger.  

 

"I should take it there anyways, I wouldn't want to give it used back," Himchan mumbled, trying to focus on something else than Yongguk's hand on his thigh.

 

 

“Want to head back home after this?”

 

He let out a soft relieved sigh when Yongguk finally pulled back and took a big bite out of his burger, nodding his head in agreement. Yongguk hummed in response and ate the rest of his burger as an awkward silence settled between them. Himchan unwrapped his second burger after finishing the first one and glanced at Yongguk.

 

"No more questions?" he asked, breaking the silence after a while. Yongguk looked at him with a mouth full of what was left of his burger. He quickly swallowed the food and his lips, unbeknownst to him, some crumbs were on his chin.

 

"What would you want me to know? Tell me."

 

Himchan shrugged lightly and took a bite, chewing onto it before answering. "I've never killed someone," he then said and looked at Yongguk. "Surprising, huh?" he tried to joke.

 

"I guess I was right before when I said you didn't seem like the type to get your hands dirty," he chuckled. Even though Yongguk didn't outright say it, he was relieved knowing Himchan hadn't killed anyone.

 

"I have never ordered someone to kill someone else either.” He replied and looked over the other one's face, noticing the crumbs. "Messy," he chuckled and reached out his hand, without thinking, wiping the crumbs away with his fingers, the tips brushing against Yongguk's bottom lip. Yongguk was about to reply but his breath hitched when Himchan's fingers brushed against his bottom lip.

 

"M-Messy?" he questioned with a stutter. Himchan bit the inside of his cheek lightly, what he had done finally sinking in and pulled his hand back. "You had.. some crumbs on your chin.."

 

"O-Oh," he laughed awkwardly. "Thanks.."

 

"No problem...", he looked away and bit into his burger again.

 

"I think when we get back to the hotel, I want to play this new record I bought. It's this by this guy Louis Armstrong. Ever heard of him?"

 

"Yeah, I have," Himchan nodded, giving Yongguk a smile and ate the last of his burger.

 

"Wanna listen to it when we get back?"

 

"Mhm!", he nodded again and crumbled up the wrapping of the burger.

 

Yongguk stood up and tried to push thoughts of Himchan's touch to the back of his mind. "Alright then. Last one out the park has to pay for the cab!" he shouted as he dashed into a sprint.

 

Himchan watched him get up, momentarily confused as Yongguk ran away before getting up quickly and running after him. "Hey! This is not fair!" Yongguk's laughter bellowed as he ran, "Come on slowpoke!" Himchan shook his head and gave up after a few meters when he was out of breath, kicking the ground lightly as he walked after Yongguk. He stopped running when he saw Himchan was way behind him and slowly walked over to him. His breathing was slightly labored as he asked, "Was I too fast?”

 

Himchan chuckled softly and raised a hand to wipe off the sweat that formed on his forehead. "No, I'm just not as athletic as you are.”

 

"Sweating already," he teased and wiped the sweat off Himchan's brow with his sleeve. "Tsk. You wouldn't last a day on the ship, sailor."

 

Himchan flushed at the touch and shoved lightly against his chest. "That's why I'm a bootlegger, Bbang."

 

"You're gonna need some muscle then," he laughed. "You should get someone to protect you."

 

"I've got a gun," he rolled his eyes and huffed at the other.

 

"That works too."

 

"Mhm," Himchan nudged him and walked further.

 

"What's it like being a bootlegger?" he suddenly asked as they made their way out the park. "How did your father create this underground empire of his?"

 

Himchan looked at him, hesitating and looked around to make sure they were alone, not wanting this to be overheard. "From what I heard he already had some underground stuff going on in Korea..", He slowly replied, voice low. "When he got caught, we packed our bags and moved here. He did some other things here that I don't know about and finally started the bootlegging business once this whole Prohibition crap started.."

 

"I see..." he trailed off. "Well that does make sense. I swear I won't speak of this to anyone Himchan. You have my word."

 

"He did some.. pretty nasty things to get where he is now.." Himchan mumbled.  

 

 

 

"I guess you'd have to in that business."

 

Once the two reached the sidewalks, Yongguk was able to flag down a cab to take them back to the hotel. "Yeah..", he shrugged and watched the cab come closer before getting in when it stopped in front of them. Yongguk got in after Himchan and the two remained quiet the majority of the ride. They couldn't talk about the previous topic since they were in a cab, and it wasn't until they made it inside the hotel suite that Yongguk broke the awkward tension by saying, "Let's listen to some music."

 

Himchan took off the cap and nodded his head lightly. "Yeah.. Put on your new record.."

 

"Alright," Yongguk grinned. He opened up the cabinet below the phonograph and pulled out his Louis Armstrong record before placing it on the plateau and placing the needle of the brass arm on the disk. He cranked the handle back a few times and the music started to play. The sound of brass instruments resonated through the horn and Yongguk walked over to Himchan with a little bounce in his step. "It's called the Muskrat Ramble2. Isn't it great?"

 

Himchan smiled as he watched him. "Yeah, it's great." He tapped his foot a little with the music.

 

"Dance with me.”

 

Himchan gave him a surprised look, his cheeks burning slightly. "What?"

 

“Dance with me,” he repeated. “C’mon, it’s just you and me here.” The music stopped abruptly and Yongguk went back over to the phonograph and cranked it back as far as it could go. “Himchan, you really need to loosen up,” he persisted, a mischievous smile curled on his lips.

 

Himchan scoffed and walked closer. "Fine, I'll dance with you."

 

"Attaboy!3" He chuckled and started doing the Charleston since that was the only dance he really knew how to do. "Do you know any other dances Himchan? I need to be able to do more than this the next time we go out."

 

He chuckled softly and took another step closer, taking Yongguk’s hand and placed it on his back before taking his other hand in his. Yongguk felt his face heat up due to their close proximity and looked into Himchan's eyes.

 

"What dance are you about to teach me?"

 

“The Baltimore Buzz.4", Himchan said, flushing lightly as their gazes locked and placed his free hand on Yongguk's shoulder. "Just follow my lead."

 

"A-Alright," he accidentally stuttered and followed Himchan's lead, laughing occasionally at how quick the movements could be. Yongguk cursed when he stepped on Himchan's feet a couple times and quickly apologized. "I swear I have two left feet sometimes. Sorry about that…"

 

Himchan squeezed his hand gently and smiled at him. "It's alright. You're doing pretty good though. At least it's on my feet you're stepping and not some lady's." The music came to a stop once again and Yongguk turned his head to the phonograph.

 

"Should I put on another record?"

 

"Ah, yeah..." Himchan nodded and pulled back, clearing his throat lightly.

 

Yongguk took the Louis Armstrong record off and put on a slightly more upbeat record that would go with the dance steps better. Once he cranked it up he made his way back to Himchan. He placed his hand on his back and took his hand in his again. "I'm ready when you are," he said with a smile. He placed his hand back on the other one's shoulder and smiled back, counting in his head before doing the dance steps again, glancing down at their feet.

 

The dance steps for The Baltimore Buzz were still difficult for Yongguk to maneuver. The quicksteps to the right and to the left, then back and forth while simultaneously turning was very confusing. "How do you and Miss Charlotte do this dance?" he asked with an exasperated sigh. "I'll never get this."

 

Himchan laughed softly and pulled Yongguk slightly closer. "Let's do it a bit more slowly then. Watch my feet."

 

"Okay," he bit his lip and nodded. His heartbeat had quickened and the room suddenly felt warmer. He quickly averted his gaze down to Himchan's feet and was thankful that the other wouldn't see how red his face was. Unfortunately for Yongguk his red ears were a dead giveaway.

 

He slowly showed the steps, smiling to himself before looking up, noticing Yongguk's red ears. "You alright?"

 

Without so much as looking up at Himchan, he quickly answered, "Of course! I'm fine."

 

"Alright.." Himchan smiled softly, slightly amused and continued to show the steps slowly. Yongguk was so focused on staring at Himchan's feet that he didn't realize the record had stopped playing.

 

The other man stopped after a while, not noticing the record had stopped right away and squeezed Yongguk's hand lightly. His movements stopped as well when he felt his hand squeezed. Hesitantly, Yongguk looked up at Himchan, cheeks still slightly flushed from earlier. He opened his mouth to speak but a lump formed in his throat. His mouth hung open slightly and he blinked a few times before pulling away. "Ah.. I'm thirsty. Would you like anything to drink?"

 

Himchan smiled softly at Yongguk and slowly pulled his hands back, trying not to let his thoughts linger about how cute Yongguk looked with his red cheeks. "Yeah.. I'd like one."

 

He poured two glasses of brandy and walked over to Himchan, handing him one of them. "Thanks for the dance lessons," he smiled sheepishly as he took a drink and glanced at the gold and crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling. "I think with more practice I'll be a decent dancer."

 

Himchan took the glass and chuckled softly. "Yeah.. I'm sure you will," he said before taking a sip.

 

Yongguk glanced at the clock on the wall and his face dropped when he saw how late it was. It was nearly 11 o'clock and he knew that, unlike himself, Himchan had a wife to go home to. His lips pursed together and he took another sip of his drink. 'What the hell is wrong with me? Why am I acting like this? I can't have feelings for another man. That's not possible,' he mentally argued with himself. His brows furrowed without him realizing it and he looked as if he were in deep thought with that glass of brandy in his hand. 'Men don't have feelings for other men Yongguk. They can't. You're not a lunatic.'

 

Himchan looked over at him, sipping his glass quietly. This was nice, spending time with Yongguk... He was hoping that in those two weeks, they could do it more often before he remembered what happened on the ship, flushing lightly. He cleared his throat and tilted his head as he noticed Yongguk's expression, walking over and placed his hand on the other's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

 

Yongguk jumped slightly and spilled some of the brandy onto the carpet. "Yeah... I'm okay." He downed the rest of his drink quickly and hissed at the slight burning sensation in his throat. Himchan took a step back as some spilled on the carpet and pulled his hand back slowly.

 

"Didn't mean to scare you," he smiled slightly.

 

Yongguk looked down at the stain he made and muttered a curse before walking into the bathroom to get some tissues. A moment later he came out from the bathroom and got on his hands and knees as he carefully blotted the brown liquid from the red and gold carpet. "I hope this doesn't stain…"

 

Himchan frowned a bit as he watched him and knelt down, reaching out to touch Yongguk's arm. "It's alright. Just call room service, they'll take care of it.", he smiled softly, "Don't worry about it."

 

Yongguk bit his lip and nodded. Something was troubling him and it was all the more evident in his body language and demeanor. He stood up and crumpled the tissues in his hand and stuffed it in his pocket before setting his glass down on the small table at the foot of the couch. "You don't think it'll stain do you?"

 

"No, it'll be fine. And if it does, just call the lobby and they'll take care of it.", Himchan smiled softly, standing up as well. "Are you really alright, though? You seem troubled? And earlier you seemed deep in thought.."

 

"I'm alright. I guess the brandy is getting to my head faster than I thought it would." It was a lame attempt at a cover up but he hoped that Himchan wouldn't press on about his behavior. He was extremely confused and didn't know how to handle the problematic feelings he was experiencing.

 

"Ah.. Well, maybe you should go to bed then," the other replied, glancing at the clock. "I should go anyway.. And it'll do you good to sleep early," he smiled and patted Yongguk's shoulder, drinking the last of his glass. "

 

Yeah... I think that would be a good idea," he said as he watched Himchan's adam’s apple bob up and down as he swallowed the last of his brandy. He reached out to take the empty glass from him and his fingers lightly brushed over his.Yongguk felt a spark from that innocent touch and took the glass from him. His heart was racing again and he was almost certain he was blushing. He knew he looked like a fool and was aware he was embarrassing himself again. Yongguk shook his head and mumbled, “Damn this liquor, I’m quite a mess tonight,” as he set the glass down on the same table the other was on and smoothed out his white pants.

 

"Maybe you should change so Miss Charlotte doesn't question why you're wearing my uniform," he chuckled. “She doesn’t need to know how much trouble I almost got you in tonight.”

 

Himchan did look cute in his blue naval uniform and he wished that he could take a photograph of it as a keepsake. His mind immediately registered those thoughts and his conscious screamed, ‘BABIES ARE CUTE, NOT GROWN MEN,’ which caused him to furrow his brow.

 

Yongguk was trying to resolve the internal conflict between his mind and his heart… and it showed. Right at that moment he looked like a mad man, staring into space with his mouth moving though no words were coming out. His eyes focused on something unattainable yet searching for some undeniable truth.  

 

Himchan smiled softly and reached out his hand touch Yongguk's shoulder again. "I'll go change, yeah.", he said, leaving his hand on the other one's shoulder longer than it should. He bit his lip lightly when he turned away to go to the room, sighing as he pushed back the urge to be close to Yongguk. He didn't know what was wrong with himself, he didn't really want to go home but the other seemed troubled so it seemed better to leave him, maybe he needed some time alone.

 

Yongguk snapped out of his thoughts when he felt Himchan touch his shoulder and mumbled, "Alright." As Himchan went to change he immediately fixed himself another drink and downed it immediately. "Breathe.." he mumbled to himself.

 

Once in the bedroom, Himchan quickly changed back into his suit and folded the uniform neatly before tucking it under his arm before emerging from the bedroom. "I'm taking it to the dry cleaners, alright?" he said to Yongguk when he was back.

 

"Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow?" he questioned as he walked Himchan to the door.

 

"Yeah, sure.", Himchan nodded his head lightly and opened the door. "Take care.", he added, smiling at Yongguk before stepping out the room.

 

"You too," he said as he waved him off and closed his door. "Is it possible to have feelings for another man.." he muttered to himself. He shook the thoughts from his head and had one last drink before heading to bed.

 

Meanwhile, Himchan tried to push everything that happened tonight away during his ride home. His thoughts always wandered back to the moment where Yongguk had pressed him against the turret, his cheeks burning at the memory. "Snap out of it, Himchan.", he muttered to himself, earning a curious glance from the driver of the cab, who he gave a big tip before getting out. To his surprise and his dismay, Charlotte was still awake. He placed the uniform away in a corner of the hall as she came to greet him.


"How was your day?", she asked with a bright smile.


"It was alright. Why are you still up?", he answered, taking off his vest and shoes.


"Couldn't sleep.", she simply said and took Himchan's vest from him, hanging it away.


He trailed a bit after her and waited for her to turn around before wrapping his arms around her waist. Charlotte laughed and wrapped arms around his neck, leaning in for a kiss. 'Maybe it's good she was still up', Himchan thought to himself as he slowly backed her to their room, not breaking the kiss they were sharing.

 
_______________________________________________________________________________
 
1. Zozzled- Drunk
 
2. Muskrat Ramble- A song by Louis Armstrong that came out in 1926. 
 
3. Attaboy!-  (An informal way of saying 'That a boy!'); A form of encouragement or admiration.  
 
4. Baltimore Buzz- A popular 1920's dance. (It's no wonder Yongguk had some trouble with the steps right?)