Chapter Eight

Back to December

Clouds rolled in and the town was soaking with rain. Water was flung from the back wheels of travelling vehicles and a man was unfortunately a victim to it. As a car turned the corner, the pool of water was cruelly transferred to the poor man’s clothes. He muttered angrily and wiped down his attire, unaware that his actions would cause the water to soak further into the cotton material.

The weather was terrible. Even with the buildings covered in Christmas decorations, the man didn’t feel any brighter. He grumbled his way to a familiar house and pressed the doorbell.

“Coming!” A voice sounded from inside. The front door opened and a small gasped escaped the host’s lips.

“Manager Kang! What happened?” Daehyun exclaimed at the man’s misfortune.

The man gave a sigh. He told Daehyun about his encounter with the harmless liquid and how he would never walk in the rain again. Ever.

Daehyun laughed, invited him inside and gave him some dry clothes to change into to.

“So are you ready for your shoot tomorrow?” Manager Kang asked as he pulled on a warm sweater.

Daehyun looked out the window, “If the weather is like this, do you think they’ll cancel? It is outside, at an amusement park with no shelter whatsoever,” he emphasised.

“Let’s just hope the weather clears. It’s ruining my mood.” His Manager commented. Suddenly the man’s face lit up with realisation, as if he had remembered something very important. “I forgot to ask. You and that photographer? Are you two dating yet?”

Daehyun cleared his throat, “That photographer has a name. And yes, Hyosung and I are officially dating. Today is our third day anniversary.” He stated with a wide smile.

Manager Kang scoffed and playfully punched the model. “Congrats! However, I do warn you. Don’t go overboard with the dating. Love is important but so is work and your sist–”

Before he could finish, Daehyun swiftly cupped his hands over his Manager’s mouth and darted his eyes around the room. “Hana is in her room! If she hears you… you are so dead to me.”

Daehyun gently released his hands and sighed. Just a few months ago he had accidentally stumbled upon his sister’s medicine prescriptions. At first, he didn’t think too much of it but immediately reconsidered when he saw the name of the doctor printed at the end.

Dr. Kim Himchan.

That was his mother’s doctor. The cardiologist she visited frequently to get check-ups for her heart. Daehyun looked at the messy handwriting scribbled across the sheet. Prescribed on the paper was aspirin. He thought it was weird why his sister had to go to a cardiologist just to get some pain killers and it wasn’t after he did some research that his answer was obtained.  

“In small doses, aspirin can help reduce the risk of heart attacks and , and also stop the reoccurrence of cardiac tissue death.” He remembered reading aloud.

Heart attack, , cardiac tissue death, those were the key words his mind continued to pick up.

He was bewildered. Did Hana inherit some kind of heart condition he didn’t know about? He wondered why his sister never said anything. He wanted to talk to someone, tell someone about his worries but no one came to mind.

After having a bad photo shoot, his Manager had noticed his disinterest and went to comfort him. Daehyun had found someone to express his thoughts to and in the end, he told him everything.

 

“I know that family is important.” Daehyun restated to his Manager.

“Daehyun look, what I’m trying to say is to not let your personal affairs interfere with your work. That’s all.” Manager Kang replied.

Daehyun nodded understandingly. At least he would be spending time with Hyosung this Christmas. The thought suddenly reminded him that he was supposed to call her after work today. As he went to grab his phone it suddenly rang and surprised him. Hyosung called him first.

“Hyosung? Hey!” He replied with a smile.

“I just checked my schedule and I have Christmas free.” Hyosung informed with excitement.

“That’s awesome! I have the whole day planned out so you better get excited.” Daehyun exclaimed as he paced happily around the room. Manager Kang pretended to puke and Daehyun gave him a glare.

His Manager laughed and walked out of the area. He stopped in front of Hana’s room and raised his hand to knock when he heard her talking. He pressed his ear against the door and tried to make out what she was saying. She was speaking so softly he could hardly understand anything.

“Dr. Kim, you know I don’t have the heart to do that…” there was a long pause before Hana continued, “Alright then. I guess I’ll speak to you soon.”

Manager Kang heard the floor board creak and immediately removed himself from the door. Taking quite strides, he escaped the hallway and decided it was safer to be with Daehyun.

“Dr. Kim?” He repeated quietly to himself.

* * * * * *

It was six in the morning and Daehyun felt his face getting warmer from the sunlight. With heavy eye lids he yawned and pulled the covers over his head, satisfied by the sudden darkness. His peace was soon disrupted when his alarm decided to wake him. However, it was no ordinary table clock, it was his sister.

“Happy Christmas Eve!” Hana shouted as she burst into her brothers’ room.

She witnessed Daehyun under the covers and menacingly approached him. Without warning, she dug her fingers into his sides and caused Daehyun to jump out of bed immediately.

“Hana! You know I’m extremely ticklish!” Daehyun said clearly annoyed.

His sister poked her tongue out and smirked, “I needed to wake you up, and tickling you works every time.”

Daehyun groaned and flopped back into bed.

His sister twisted her eye brows, “What are you doing? Get up!” She cried and struggled to pull the sheets away from her lazy brother.

“Why?” Daehyun replied with a tired voice.

Hana crossed her arms over her chest in disbelief. “It’s Christmas Eve! I’ve been watching you and according to your calendar you have a date with a girl. Now get up, it’s six already.”

Daehyun shot up with wide eyes.

“!” He cried and raced to the calendar sitting on his table. “It’s six already! Where’s that gift I bought for Hyosung? I need those ice skating tickets too!” 

Panic overtook Daehyun and he raced towards his closet to search for an appropriate outfit.

“Relax, you’re date isn’t until tonight right?” Hana commented as she walked over to help Daehyun with his clothing choices.

Daehyun paused and slowly turned his head towards his smiling sister. He stared at her for a moment.

“What?” Hana replied.

“You said it was six already,” Daehyun quoted as he squinted his eyes.

“Yeah? And?”

Daehyun cried and cupped his hand over his face. “I thought you meant six in the afternoon! I thought the sun was setting and I was going to be late!”

Hana burst into laughter.

“You should’ve seen yourself!” Hana said and made her voice deeper to imitate Daehyun, “Where’s my gift? The ice skating tickets?”

She continued to laugh at Daehyun’s reaction.

Daehyun got a cap from his closet and placed in roughly on his sisters’ head, making sure it covered her eyes.

“Happy. Christmas. Eve.” He said in annoyance.

Being playful was one thing, but being annoyingly playful was something Daehyun hoped his sister would realise and stop doing. Especially if she was only doing it so he wouldn’t suspect she had some sort of heart problem – if that was the case at all. It bugged him, and until she personally tells him about it, he would continue to worry about her. 


Author's Note

My deepest apologies!! It been ages since I've updated! Thank you for your patience! This chapter was kinda a filler :') But let me leave you all with a question:

"What was your worst Christmas gift? or worst gift in general?" 

I'd love to hear your responses! :D 

Once again, thank you for reading! Much appreciated! xxx