Chapter Two

Back to December

Hyosung had stayed awake for many nights but tonight, she had finally gotten some rest. Her mind fell into the state of sleep and vivid images flashed across her mind. Like a slideshow, image after image surfaced in her head. She was dreaming, a pleasant one too. The images captured moments in her life she would find impossible to forget. Moments with Daehyun.

Suddenly saturated from their vivid colours, the blissful reel was replaced with a black and white film. Projecting darker moments, ones she never wanted to remember. The tears, the hurt on her face when he announced their relationship was over, the conspicuous lie he told her.

“… I just don’t love you anymore.”

Hyosung felt herself crying, the tight clenching inside her chest and the constricting sensation inside . She remembered that day all too clearly. Every emotion, every word, every action. She could replay it all. Even in her dreams, it was exactly as how the day had unfolded.

“No… that’s not true…” Hyosung heard herself say.

The dream seemed to skip a sequence and jumped straight to when Daehyun turned his back to her. Everything grew dark and only Daehyun could be seen. He was walking, further and further away.

Hyosung’s eyes shot open. Her breath was uneasy and she felt something wet trail down her cheeks. When she realised it was only a dream she closed her eyes and sighed in relief. She did not want to experience that scene again. 

Hyosung didn’t know when she drifted to sleep again but the next time she opened her eyes, her room was already filled with light. Her senses were dulled early in the morning but the roaring sounds of cars outside couldn’t be ignored. It was time to go to work.

Her body refused to move any faster when she forced herself out of bed. It lacked energy and enthusiasm. Somehow, she had managed to get dressed and wash her face. Breakfast wasn’t a choice as she was already late.

Being more aware of her surroundings she walked to her bus stop and caught the bus to the studio.

She was so tired that she didn’t realise the change. Her house was clean, there were no empty tissue boxes lying on the couch and her sink was cleared of 2-minute noodle cups.

Her bus finally stopped and she stepped out, glanced at her watch and felt her heart race in panic.

She had to report her absences to her boss today and being late was definitely not a good start. She had taken a few days off and didn’t even tell her employer about it. She mentally cursed Daehyun for making her feel this way and rushed inside the building.

To her surprise everyone greeted her with a smile and didn’t seem angry at her tardiness and sudden disappearance.

“Hyosung! Finally you’re here! Our model is already in the studio waiting for you,” a familiar colleague announced and pushed her towards the elevator.

Hyosung was confused. “W-wait,”

“Come on... let’s go!” Her colleague said with a bright smile.

“Jongup wait. Aren’t you curious?” Hyosung questioned when the issue of her disappearance was not mentioned.

Her colleague twisted his eyebrows, “About what?” He asked her as he impatiently pressed the button for the elevator.

Hyosung cleared . “Y-you know… about my absence?”

Jongup’s face finally lit up at her prompt. “Oh you mean this morning? What was it, bus late? Alarm didn’t go off? Or maybe you got transported to the future and just came back!” Jongup proclaimed with his suggestions.

No. Hyosung thought. Her face was blank, didn’t anyone care that she wasn’t at work.

The sound of the elevator filled their ears and Jongup gestured for Hyosung to enter first. Hyosung was still doubtful about the whole situation. Was this an act? An act her boss planned before she was fired?

Jongup was always a bad actor though. The boy couldn’t pretend to be something else even if his life depended on it. Hyosung decided to play along.

“So what are we doing today?” She asked.

“Don’t you remember?” Jongup said in shock. “It’s the photo shoot with Daehyun!”

Hyosung blinked. Her ears didn’t deceive her right? Jongup just said Daehyun.

“You look surprised,” Jongup said.

Hyosung needed a moment. She can’t… not today. If this was an act, the boss was taking it too far.

“I’m sorry Jongup. Can you please just stop… I’ll go apologise to the boss, I’ll get on my knees and beg for forgiveness, anything but this.”

It was Jongup’s turn to be confused. “Hyosung… are you feeling ok?”

“Stop. Please… just stop,” Hyosung pleaded as her eyes drowned in tears.

Jongup noticed this and was immediately taken back. “D-did I say something? Oh my god, Hyosung I’m really sorry!” He apologised, confused as to what he had done to cause the poor girl to react this way.

The elevator had reached its destination and the twin doors glided open. Revealing the studio Hyosung had to be in.

Hyosung turned her head and outside the elevator she saw a scene she was very, very familiar with. Even with tears in her eyes she could still clearly distinguish every detail in the sight before her. The set up, the staff running around holding pieces of clothing, and the white background behind the model that stood in front of it. She stepped out slowly, slightly open.

“This place…”

Jongup followed behind and immediately went to grab some tissues, leaving Hyosung in her trance.

She walked closer to the model.

Hyosung closed her eyes and shook her head. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing right now. Standing right in front of her was the guy who caused her so much heart ache. Jung Daehyun.

Jongup returned with a box of tissues and Hyosung’s camera in his hands. He inched them towards her but Hyosung only responded with a blank face.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what I said to upset you…” Jongup apologised with his head hung low.

Hyosung snapped back into reality.

“Ah, no that’s ok, it’s just… “

Jongup looked up and revealed a warm smile. His pulled out a tissue and waved it over her face. “Look, you’re not going to be able to take photo’s properly with tears in your eyes.”

Hyosung stared at the white tissue in his hands and gratefully accepted his generosity. Jongup was always so caring, so sincere. She wiped her tears and took hold of her camera.

“There we go. Shooting starts in a few minutes,” Jongup informed and went off the do his own duties.

 Hyosung’s eyes darted back to the model. Everything was so strangely familiar… those clothes, that hairstyle, his poses… this scene…

Everything was an exact replica of that day Daehyun went up to talk to her. Everything was like… the very first day of December. 


Author's Notes

Thank you for reading everyone!! Please feel free to comment, I love reading them!! And thank you to those who've subscribed! I really appreciate it <3