Chapter Four

Back to December

A satisfying grin was plastered on Daehyun’s face for the rest of the day.

“Did I miss something?” His manager asked when he witnessed Daehyun twirling around in his apartment with his head held high and arms outstretched.

Daehyun stopped spinning and whipped his hair from his eyes. “Oh Manager Kang, you were here?”

His manager rolled his eyes. He had been working with Daehyun for a while and was used to his ‘unique’ characteristics. He was a very fit male and from the looks of his figure, he could cause much damage to one’s bones if he wanted to. Although his build was good, his face couldn’t hide the tiredness he felt from his profession. His brow was dented with fine lines and every time he smiled, the skin on the edge of his eyes would crease. His forest of black hair was also beginning to reveal silver lines, making him look older than his actual age.

“Where’s your sister? Isn’t she supposed to be home now?” He suddenly asked.

Daehyun looked around the room. “Yeah, she should be…”

 

Siblings. Daehyun only had one and he loved her, like any little brother would. His parents got married late and his mother had his sister when she was forty-two. His mother didn’t have the healthiest heart and it was a miracle that she had made it through her first birth. Three years later, she fell pregnant with Daehyun. It was quite the dangerous decision considering her age and health condition.

Lying on the hard hospital bed, Daehyun’s mother had tried to bear with the tormenting contractions one after another. In the last moment, she felt as if her fragile body would be ripped apart but she endured. She heard a choking voice. It appeared that her efforts were not wasted. The high pitched crying of her baby boy filled the white sterile room. Everyone thought she was going to be ok. Everyone thought she had pulled through.

Daehyun’s mother felt tears burning behind her eyes. She believed this was another miracle. Her second child. She could feel her heart pounding against her chest. She was so relieved. She smiled, her breathing still heavy from exhaustion. Maybe that was the reason, exhaustion. Her pounding heart grew weaker and weaker. Her joy was soon outlived. Soon, the muscle that pumped blood through her veins… had stopped beating, right before she had the chance to hold Daehyun in her arms, her second miracle.

Being the youngest, Daehyun had his sister to take care of him. She was the supportive sibling, the friend, and sometimes she was the mother of the family. His father was in grief for many years and began to smoke in order to relieve some of his pain, but that only created more anguish for the rest of the family.  

Eighteen years of smoking had given him an opportunity to reunite with his wife. With a rotting lung, he was diagnosed with cancer. His children feared he would leave them. They tried to find countless doctors and cancer specialists to treat him but he refused. Saying it was better this way, he would be able to see his deceased wife. Daehyun was nineteen when his father spent his last day in hospital, his sister was twenty two. They were both legally adults and were able to live on their own.  

Now, Daehyun’s sister was the only family he had.

 

“Do you want me to make dinner?” Manager Kang asked.

Daehyun smiled thankfully but shook his head. “Nah, that’s ok. I want to eat out today.”

* * * * * *

Just like that. Everything changed. Hyosung was shocked to see her things placed so orderly. She wondered how she even kept the house so clean back then. She went to her room. It was a little different to what she had seen last. There were no picture frames of Daehyun and her diary had barely been used.

She flipped through the pages and read her last entry on the 30th of November. Everything she had ever recorded was erased. Gone. Just like that.

She sighed, it was a habit of hers to write every day. Why would today be an exception? Hyosung opened her drawer of stationery and picked out her favourite ball point pen. She was happy to see it still had black ink left. Of course it still works. I’m in the past…

With the smooth ink gliding over the page, she began her first dairy entry for December:

1st December

Be careful what you wish for. That’s all I can think about right now. As crazy as this seems, I went back in time today. How is that even possible? But as much as I try to deny it, everything around me proves it.

I met Daehyun again. Except, it was the second time we met for the first time. Confusing, right? I’ve missed him, this him. Should I just erase my knowledge of the future? Just like how my entries were erased from my diary? Start all over, rewrite it. Start on a blank page and begin all over again. Would that be best?

No matter what I do, I don’t want to change the fact that we were in love. I just want to change the ending… or maybe that won’t change at all.

Only time will tell.

Speaking of time. Who knew it was controlled by someone named Time. He’s… interesting. Powerful may I add and so mysterious. He said some pretty wise words to me today. They say all wisdom comes from years of experience. Just how many years is that for him? How much time has he spent being, well… Time?

As much as this scares me, I’m grateful. This isn’t something that happens to everyone. Actually, I might very well be the first.

Nevertheless, I still find myself attached to him. I still want to see Daehyun again…

She lifted her pen off the page and let it linger there for a moment. If she recalled correctly, she wouldn’t see Daehyun again until next week. That meant she had time to get used to this feeling of Déjà vu everywhere she went. She closed her diary and slipped into bed. Cleared her mind of thoughts and submerged herself into the night.

* * * * * *

“Noona!” Daehyun cried when his sister finally returned. “Where have you been? It’s almost midnight!”

His sister looked exhausted. Faint lines formed at the edge of her lips when she smiled and dark circles dropped under her eyes.

“Daehyun-ah.  I’m sorry, we had a meeting for our next production and it was just so long,” she answered, prolonging the last syllable.

Daehyun laughed. “Have you eaten yet?”

His sister shook her head as she kicked her heels off. “You?”

Daehyun smiled, “Neither. That’s good, you see Manager Kang and I decided to eat out today. We wanted you to come.”

“Manager Kang? He’s here as well? At this hour?” His sister exclaimed, each question increasing in bewilderment.

“Hana-ssi, no need to be too surprised.” Manager Kang responded as he walked into the room. He was in the bathroom and couldn’t come out to greet her until now.

Daehyun’s sister let out a nervous laugh. She didn’t really know why but Manager Kang always made her feel uneasy. Like there was something sinister about him. She wasn’t sure if it was his greying hair or maybe it was his big build, whatever it was she just didn’t like being in the same room as him. However, in respect for him as her brother’s manager, she let the feeling slide.

“Ok!” Daehyun said excitedly while his hands clasped together, “Let’s go grab some food!”

 

Nothing was better than eating a warm bowl of ramen at night. The sky was dotted with stars and the dim streetlights provided the area with just the right amount of lighting.

As the steaming bowls arrived at the outside table, Daehyun smiled happily and began to clean his eating utensils.

“This place brings back so many memories,” Hana commented as she looked around.

“I know! Remember that time Dad bought us here for the first time. We were just so sick of your cookin-” Daehyun coughed, “I mean, we just wanted a change…”

Hana shot him a glare but Daehyun was already slurping his noodles to avoid eye contact.

His sister was responsible for making the meals in the family. Sometimes she liked experimenting with different ingredients and at those times, Daehyun would find that he had diarrhoea the following day.

“Daehyun, eat slower. You’re going to choke at this rate,” his manager instructed. “And how are you even putting that in your mouth? It’s boiling hot!”

Daehyun shrugged and blew the steam off his next mouthful of noodles. His sister laughed and began to cool down her own bowl of food. The three of them ate in silence whilst the hot food warmed and satisfied their stomaches.

I want to take her here one day. Daehyun thought when he paid for their meal. I wonder when I’ll ever see her again…

That night, Daehyun slept wondering how his next encounter with Hyosung would be like. Only he didn’t know it would be so sooner than he expected.


Author's Notes

THANK YOU FOR READING EVERYONE! <3 Much love and appreciation! 

So just out of curiosity, what's one thing you would change if you had the chance to go back in time? 

You can respond in the comment section below or via PM, either is fine :D. Just remember to put a title or something if you're going to PM me so I know it's for this. :D 

Get creative~