Enter Lu Han

Dry Erase

Wow. He’s even more agile in person. Yoon Mi stared in awe as she watched the boy kick the football around.

 

“This is the field!” Dongwoo announced. “It is used mostly for football, but can be set up for other sports as well, like disc golf and rugby. However the field isn’t normally used this time of the year because of the cold weather.”

 

“He must be a very dedicated player then,” Yoon Mi marveled, pointing toward the boy on the field.

 

“Ah, yes. He’s probably training for the World Cup. Fun fact, most of the players on the Korea Republic football team, the ones that play in the World Cup and the Olympics, come from right here, Halla University!”

 

The boy picked up the ball and held it before him in one hand. He closed his eyes and slowed his breathing, as if meditating on his next move. In one swift movement, he threw the ball in the air and perfectly executed a bicycle kick that would have put Pele to shame.  As his feet touched the ground, the ball found the back of the net. He straightened himself up, a look of gleeful pride spread across his face. He threw his hands in the air and excitedly blew on his whistle. This feat must have been something he’d been practicing for months.

 

Yoon Mi was awestruck. She had grabbed onto Dongwoo’s arm without realizing it, but Dongwoo didn’t seem to mind. The magnificent footballer stopped celebrating, his attention pointed in the direction of Yoon Mi and Dongwoo.

 

Is he looking at me? Yoon Mi hoped. No, he’s waving, he can’t be.

 

She looked up to Dongwoo, who was meekly waving back with his free arm. “Do you know him?” she asked excitedly.

 

“No, not really. I’ve seen him around, but-” A shout from behind interrupted Dongwoo.

 

“LU HAN!” A short boy came bounding past, bouncing off of Dongwoo in his dash to the field. “Sorry!” he hastily shouted back to Dongwoo.

 

“Oh.” He wasn’t waving at me. Dongwoo felt quite embarrassed as he moved his hand to brush through his hair.

 

“Luhan,” Yoon Mi said softly to herself, trying out the feel of his name on her lips.

 

She watched as Lu Han and his friend embraced. It’s as if I can feel the warmth of his hug she thought.

 

Dongwoo shifted his weight and brought Yoon Mi out of her thoughts. She looked at Dongwoo, then at her arms clutching his, and jumped away.

 

Was I holding his arm the entire time? She wondered.

 

“Hah, you okay?” Dongwoo teased. It wasn’t new for girls to cling to him, he had barely noticed.

 

Boy that couple is weird. Min Seok and I are more affectionate than they are, Lu Han thought as he broke the embrace with his best friend.

 

“Aigoo! Hyung is cold!” Min Seok complained, wiggling his arms. “Let’s go somewhere waaaaaarm!”

 

“Okay hyung” Lu Han agreed, heading back toward the dorms.

 

“H-he-he’s coming this way!” Yoon Mi stuttered as she hid behind Dongwoo. “No!” she shouted as Dongwoo started to turn to her. “Stay where you are! Don’t move!”

 

As the friends walked past Dongwoo and Yoon Mi, Lu Han looked straight at the girl and, to Yoon Mi’s horror, their eyes met.

 

They really are a strange couple...